Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,166 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Could be Volvolus. Had one like that, convinced it was caused by a hard pull. Volvulus diagnosed by Lab, Vet said it had nothing to do with hard pull.

This wasn't a hard pull. No jack just ropes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭stanflt

whelan2 wrote: »
    This wasn't a hard pull. No jack just ropes

I had a heifer calf die of the same thing sat morning- 3 days old- first fatality

stanflt wrote: »
    I had a heifer calf die of the same thing sat morning- 3 days old- first fatality

At least mine was a bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Had to get the vet to this one this morning. Cow was stitched last year and had a ring of scar tissue that wouldn't let her open up. Both ok anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭emaherx

At least mine was a bull.

Heartless dairy farmers :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Over 50 calved, 30 heifers in the parlour, Crap weather, juggling sheds, and busy with afew off farm things this week that I couldn't get out of, surviving on pure adrenaline at the min! But good to be motoring along with it all.

First casualty here this morning. Lim springer with a massive lim heifer calf that I wasn't expecting to calf. Had been calving for too long when I looked at her. Absolutely sick with myself. Springer is fairly wobbly after it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

First casualty here this morning. Lim springer with a massive lim heifer calf that I wasn't expecting to calf. Had been calving for too long when I looked at her. Absolutely sick with myself. Springer is fairly wobbly after it too.

Don't be too hard on yourself. You have a tough enough gig there trying to keep an eye on your cows with them out on the winterage. I have mine all under one roof with a camera that I can check from the comfort of my bed and I still manage to miss the odd one. It's a sickener to lose a calf and you'll be pi**ed off for a while but there will be more times where only for you a lot more would be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Parishlad wrote: »
    Don't be too hard on yourself. You have a tough enough gig there trying to keep an eye on your cows with them out on the winterage. I have mine all under one roof with a camera that I can check from the comfort of my bed and I still manage to miss the odd one. It's a sickener to lose a calf and you'll be pi**ed off for a while but there will be more times where only for you a lot more would be lost.
    well said

I know but there's no worse feeling than missing one like that and looking at the mess that could have been avoided. The springers are carrying too much form anyway. I let them off to the winterage at the end of October and didn't give them any feeding yet and they are like I took them off grass last week. Not a problem I am used to dealing with. I had awful handy sized calves out of the lim bull the last 2 years and the ones this year are huge. The charolais are smaller than them.

• Advertisement

I know but there's no worse feeling than missing one like that and looking at the mess that could have been avoided. The springers are carrying too much form anyway. I let them off to the winterage at the end of October and didn't give them any feeding yet and they are like I took them off grass last week. Not a problem I am used to dealing with. I had awful handy sized calves out of the lim bull the last 2 years and the ones this year are huge. The charolais are smaller than them.

I hear ya. I've had the 'only if' chats with myself many's a time.
    My own calves are coming a bit bigger this year also and, like that, I'd say that the cows are in too good a condition.
    I had a huge bull calf by section almost two weeks ago and he still is completely knuckled on his back legs and front legs are bowed. I am spending more time with him every evening massaging and stretching his legs than I do with the rest put together. Had to milk the cow and bottle feed him for the first week. I hope he comes right eventually. We've become quite pally with all our time spent together! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Parishlad, the good thing about a lad like that is he will be well used of been handled and be easy to manage when he gets bigger. I have twin bullocks that need extra care when they were born and now that they are two year old's they are still auld pets.

Limestone yes it extremely annoying when the likes of that happens, but at time I think if one is going to go on you they we will go no matter how well you mind them. But as my dad used to say once its outside the door its ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I hear ya. I've had the 'only if' chats with myself many's a time.
    My own calves are coming a bit bigger this year also and, like that, I'd say that the cows are in too good a condition.
    I had a huge bull calf by section almost two weeks ago and he still is completely knuckled on his back legs and front legs are bowed. I am spending more time with him every evening massaging and stretching his legs than I do with the rest put together. Had to milk the cow and bottle feed him for the first week. I hope he comes right eventually. We've become quite pally with all our time spent together! :D

Our vet use to give intravenous tetracycline, I've seen it being recommended elsewhere too

wrangler wrote: »
    Our vet use to give intravenous tetracycline, I've seen it being recommended elsewhere too

Thanks wrangler. I'll be talking to the vet over the weekend if there is no improvement and I'll mention that. He's a fine calf and I'd hate to lose him so I'll try anything to get him right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Thanks wrangler. I'll be talking to the vet over the weekend if there is no improvement and I'll mention that. He's a fine calf and I'd hate to lose him so I'll try anything to get him right.

We use to splint them as well if they weren't walking right in a couple days..
    They always came right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Well lads I went dark for a few days as work took over.
    Sorry to hear some of you lost calves.
    Up to 8 calved here now I think that’s 25 to go. One twin didn’t make it but the other brat finally sucked and is doing well. Another 2 coming close and 2 following them so my week off school will be well spent!

Had 2 today. One cow that never calves herself . Messing around with tail up etc. Calved her a friesian heifer. Another one as round as a barrel and had a massive fr bull, used jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Had 2 today. One cow that never calves herself . Messing around with tail up etc. Calved her a friesian heifer. Another one as round as a barrel and had a massive fr bull, used jack.

I got lucky here, went over to feed drys who are mostly afew weeks from calving in the 2nd yard at lunch, and monster bull calf in the shed, no bother on him or the mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

A friesian cow calved a Polly heifer tonight. The calf has cleft palate. I stomach tubed the calf. Has anyone any experience of this and how will the calf fare out? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A friesian cow calved a Polly heifer tonight. The calf has cleft palate. I stomach tubed the calf. Has anyone any experience of this and how will the calf fare out? Thanks

We had one a few years ago, left him under the cow and he did grand. We should have kept him inside once he was off the cow and not tried to graze him. He wasn't really able to graze well enough so we sold him to make up the difference in a group of cattle sold in the yard.

With a bit of care and time, she'll do ok if she can drink milk.

• Advertisement

Eldest lad has a few suckler heifers calving atm. First an aax calved on Thursday morning herself with an aa heifer calf and second one a kzp Hereford heifer calved yesterday with another aax heifer. Both up and sucking. Mothers were calves I had that got crypto when young and I gave them to him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭50HX

3 sucklers calved here

Lost one yesterday. ...saw cow passing a purpley red discharge when lying on cubicle

Not due for 60 days..stuck here into calving pen and she spat out a still born heifer

Oh the joys.....

When they go right it's great satisfaction to see them thriving a few weeks later

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Well lads and ladies, I’ve a question for ye. I’ve a calf born yesterday, bit of a pull but nothing major, up and sucking after an hour. Still lively and sucking mad but I went down this morning and he’d this swelling around his eyes, especially his left. Anything I can give him to reduce the swelling? Doesn’t have any mark on his head so I’m ruling out a kick.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭endainoz

Well lads and ladies, I’ve a question for ye. I’ve a calf born yesterday, bit of a pull but nothing major, up and sucking after an hour. Still lively and sucking mad but I went down this morning and he’d this swelling around his eyes, especially his left. Anything I can give him to reduce the swelling? Doesn’t have any mark on his head so I’m ruling out a kick.
    Thanks.

That's a strange one, never seen it myself. Calf wouldn't be around long enough to have developed any sort of an infection, a kick might be what happened. Is the cow a Springer by any chance? Is she taking to the calf ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Seanhorse91

endainoz wrote: »
    That's a strange one, never seen it myself. Calf wouldn't be around long enough to have developed any sort of an infection, a kick might be what happened. Is the cow a Springer by any chance? Is she taking to the calf ok?

Cows a 3rd calver, great mother, mad about the calf. Maybe it was a kick, I’ll have another look at him again :confused:

Got my cameras installed yesterday and I’m a new man! Just so happened that when the boys were here doing the configuring calf number 9 was being born so we got to watch her spit out a heifer calf live. Some job!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭endainoz

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Got my cameras installed yesterday and I’m a new man! Just so happened that when the boys were here doing the configuring calf number 9 was being born so we got to watch her spit out a heifer calf live. Some job!

You won't know yourself with it. I installed an extra on yesterday for a better view from the other side of the shed. Hope it didn't cost you too much, some lads are being charged an extortionate amount for them.

You won't know yourself with it. I installed an extra on yesterday for a better view from the other side of the shed. Hope it didn't cost you too much, some lads are being charged an extortionate amount for them.

Great job. Hmm it ended up running into £880. I was hoping to get away at round £700 but I was in a bit of a hurry. Plenty of my mates were bragging away with talk of £200 and that but I want something with a bit of come back on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Thanks.

It looks like something irritated it to me (hayseed, hydro-lime). A multi-ject dry cow tube might lubricate the eye and help to flush it out, or bathe the eye with cold water.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

A shot of anti-inflammatory from your vet should help. Looks like an allergic reaction to me but I can't imagine how it would have happened. Perhaps an irritant as LTF says.

(Dry cow tubes are less irritant when used in the eye than milking cow tubes. They're intended to hang around whereas the others are intended to hit and run so irritancy isn't as big an issue)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Advertisement