Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

She was still wet in the pic. Came a grand colour out of a black cow.

She is a nice colour and a fair size calf god bless her, by the look of the bag on the cow she will make some job of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Shed working as planned, I see. No regrets building it?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Shed working as planned, I see. No regrets building it?

Only that I didn't make it 4 times the size it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Twin set number 3 landed, bull and heifer running at near 10% twins now hope that trend stops soon. Still 20 odd heifer calves in the group

• Registered Users Posts: 29,249 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I rang the vets yesterday to calve a cow with twins. I gave my eircode. About 40 minutes later I got a call from the vet that he was on the road and for me to come and get him. This fela had been out on a call to me last week and had used the eircode to get here. I drove around and couldn't find him. He rang again , wanting me to go find him, I said I didn't know where he was. I rang the office and they got him to a pub a couple of miles away and I met him there. It was over an hour after I called that he was in my yard. He kept saying my eircode was wrong. He looked back in his diary and it was the same as the one he used last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    I rang the vets yesterday to calve a cow with twins. I gave my eircode. About 40 minutes later I got a call from the vet that he was on the road and for me to come and get him. This fela had been out on a call to me last week and had used the eircode to get here. I drove around and couldn't find him. He rang again , wanting me to go find him, I said I didn't know where he was. I rang the office and they got him to a pub a couple of miles away and I met him there. It was over an hour after I called that he was in my yard. He kept saying my eircode was wrong. He looked back in his diary and it was the same as the one he used last week.
    Unfortunately there has been a nationwide demise in large animal Veterinary practitioners. Thankfully our Vet continues to service our herd but unfortunately has reduced the number of BTE herds that they used to attend in order to concentrate on the more lucrative market of small animals/pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭squinn2912

That’s a big change when dry. Some turn out of a team.

After all my yapping we had a set of twin bulls today. Vet assisted and all ok. Got biesling into them twice they haven’t sucked yet but can now both stand and walk a bit, one doing well. Should tighten up ok. Best thing, we both had thought the cow was down to 2 spins but three are milking so she should be fit for them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Fine heifer calf at 3.30 this morning from a fleckveih cross fecking stillborn. No hard pull or slow calving or anything. Right sickener

Calved a big old cow there calf was backwards. Legs bent back.All good. Off to watch football for an hour to destress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Mooooo wrote: »
    Fine heifer calf at 3.30 this morning from a fleckveih cross fecking stillborn. No hard pull or slow calving or anything. Right sickener

Sorry to hear that!

Wee snap of the twins was glad to get them both up standing and we finally moved with the times and used a stomach tube

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Wee snap of the twins was glad to get them both up standing and we finally moved with the times and used a stomach tube

Love to see everyones pictures.
    What breed are the calves?
    Did u know you were getting two for the price of one?:)

RD10 wrote: »
    Love to see everyones pictures.
    What breed are the calves?
    Did u know you were getting two for the price of one?:)

Nothing like it! Notice how everyone gives a wee thumbs up for a photo. It’s very encouraging.
    Ha no clue! She never had a pair before either and I think she’s 12 now. Getting the extra quarter Too was a nice bonus!
    Calves breeding is our stock lim bull. Haltcliffe Dancer x Tanko

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭stanflt

Dairy Heifer calf no 50 just arrived from a 3.95% protein 9000 litre cow
    3 generations Irish breeding
    Fr4746 x gzy x ruu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

a little question for ye lads... well over 100 cows calved here.... in general things are going good enuf... however of the last 10 cows calved 3 have been down with milk fever.... had no milk fevers prior to that....any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

a little question for ye lads... well over 100 cows calved here.... in general things are going good enuf... however of the last 10 cows calved 3 have been down with milk fever.... had no milk fevers prior to that....any ideas?

Give free access to good hay precalving. Or better still give them just hay on its own if possible.

Give free access to good hay precalving. Or better still give them just hay on its own if possible.

I’m feeding really good hay and silage bales- zero cases of milk fever in over 100 cows calved- sprinkling dry cow minerals over the hay

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

More magnesium ,get some magnesium flakes from mayo healthcare and feed 120!gramms on silage along with dry cow minerals 5/7 days pre calving

stanflt wrote: »
    Dairy Heifer calf no 50 just arrived from a 3.95% protein 9000 litre cow
    3 generations Irish breeding
    Fr4746 x gzy x ruu

Was watching one to calve last night 2 ai companies interested in the calf. It was a heifer calf after a run of bulls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

30 grams of cal mag either

I’m feeding really good hay and silage bales- zero cases of milk fever in over 100 cows calved- sprinkling dry cow minerals over the hay

Where do they get there energy pre calving? Cabt be much in hay?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Quick question, due to reasons the calf was never on the cow, she was born to a heifer, had been diagnosed with femoral nerve paralysis but seems to be well on the mend from that but it's a big job to get milk replacer into her, she is getting vitamins injected into her to improve the appetite but not really working,also I cannot keep injecting her, apart from that there is no loss on her, she passes manure and water and is very lively and alert, any ideas of how to improve the appetite or what else might be wrong with her? Thanks

Where do they get there energy pre calving? Cabt be much in hay?

They don’t need it- bcs is excellent because cows are fed to yield

Why would you waste money feeding a dry cow for no return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Quick question, due to reasons the calf was never on the cow, she was born to a heifer, had been diagnosed with femoral nerve paralysis but seems to be well on the mend from that but it's a big job to get milk replacer into her, she is getting vitamins injected into her to improve the appetite but not really working,also I cannot keep injecting her, apart from that there is no loss on her, she passes manure and water and is very lively and alert, any ideas of how to improve the appetite or what else might be wrong with her? Thanks
    I asked similar in the dairy thread yesterday, the answers are below.
    What do you folk do when a calf won't drink?

I tubed him at 6 this morning, 3.5l through the stomach tube. I was trying to feed him this evening and he has no appetite so I tubed him with 2l.

Had another one born just before him and drank no bother this evening?
    whelan2 wrote: »
    Leave him hungry until tomorrow. Or stomach tube with a life aid to put a thirst on it
    Generally give 3 feeds via tube to calves that don't drink and then skip a feed and they generally would drink themselves next time round. I try and teat feed every new born calf instead of tubing if I can as find it's easier to feed them subsequently but it can be time consuming depending on how many land in a day.
    Thanks, I don't like leaving a calf hungry for the night.

During the day, I would give a try around lunchtime again but I would like some milk inside them during the night. I was wondering how long people would leave them if they wouldn't drink because there's always one PITA who takes up most of the feeding time:rolleyes:
    Base price wrote: »
    Sometimes the sound of another calf sucking can stimulate them.
    Ah yeah, if feed number 4 is falling in the evening tube again and instead skip the morning one as it's a shorter time period
    K.G. wrote: »
    Once they get rhe first feed of biestings i never worry adter that.they always drink eventually
    Lol, as the older folk used to say, ‘hunger is a sweet sauce’!

When weather is mild and wet I’d be fussy about getting milk into them because of crypto, however when weather is good and not roasting, I’d go with the older folk...
    A square of of chocolate in its mouth or some honey.
    The chocolate sticks to the roof if the mouth and encourages them to suck

They don’t need it- bcs is excellent because cows are fed to yield

Why would you waste money feeding a dry cow for no return

Feeding cows 2 weeks precalving here. Never calved down so well tbh.

Had a cow with peritonitis this morning. Thought it might have been a displaced abomasum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭endainoz

Had previously used a pre calver mineral thrown on top of the silage, seemed to work fairly well. Have changed to seaweed meal due to being organic now. We'll see how it will go.

endainoz wrote: »
    Had previously used a pre calver mineral thrown on top of the silage, seemed to work fairly well. Have changed to seaweed meal due to being organic now. We'll see how it will go.

Use the calsea pre calver blocks here this last few years. Happy with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

First springer there now. Nice pull with her. Probably over fat aswell but she came straight off the winterage aswell with no feeding. Wouldn't mind a few more like her.

Advertisement