Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭squinn2912

First springer there now. Nice pull with her. Probably over fat aswell but she came straight off the winterage aswell with no feeding. Wouldn't mind a few more like her.

Lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Anyone having any problems calving when feeding hay or oats?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭stanflt

farmer2018 wrote: »
    Anyone having any problems calving when feeding hay or oats?

110 cows calved off hay and minerals- no retained cleanings or milk fever

What dry cow mineral are you feeding- how’s is bcs

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

stanflt wrote: »
    110 cows calved off hay and minerals- no retained cleanings or milk fever

What dry cow mineral are you feeding- how’s is bcs

Yes, I find the hay and rolled oats a great job. Allsure bolus given twice yearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Just after having to do a section on a blonde x blue heifer. She had broke to the ch bull last spring and not a hope the calf was coming out the back door. She was fair tight anyway, don't think she'd have managed a limmy either, think she'll be one for the road. Pity because she has a mighty stock of milk.

• Advertisement

Just after having to do a section on a blonde x blue heifer. She had broke to the ch bull last spring and not a hope the calf was coming out the back door. She was fair tight anyway, don't think she'd have managed a limmy either, think she'll be one for the road. Pity because she has a mighty stock of milk.

Why not try an angus if all goes ok this time? Lot to do yet. We had one like that we thought would calve nothing and she spat out her second calf without any help
    Might as well if you’re keeping her to rear the calf anyhow and if she’s quiet etc as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

The new set up stood to you this evening so

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Why not try an angus if all goes ok this time? Lot to do yet. We had one like that we thought would calve nothing and she spat out her second calf without any help
    Might as well if you’re keeping her to rear the calf anyhow and if she’s quiet etc as well

I'll see. If they are only capable of calving an Angus I'd rather something else. She was a funny in that she seemed like she should have been roomy enough when I handled her but was very fatty inside and couldn't open any more. Calf had enough of it anyway. Big swelled head on him by the time we got him out. I'd her shaved for the vet when he came, he didn't handle her at all.

grassroot1 wrote: »
    The new set up stood to you this evening so

It's very handy.

I'll see. If they are only capable of calving an Angus I'd rather something else. She was a funny in that she seemed like she should have been roomy enough when I handled her but was very fatty inside and couldn't open any more. Calf had enough of it anyway. Big swelled head on him by the time we got him out. I'd her shaved for the vet when he came, he didn't handle her at all.

Ah well you know your own animal best yea. Our wee one was a pt heifer and she got bulled on us young. Ended up with a show calf reserve store champion in the mart. She had two more calves and calves herself but never weighed any more that 550 kgs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭emaherx

5 cows calved now and my orphan twin has been adopted by another cow, so at least no more bucket feeding.

emaherx wrote: »
    5 cows calved now and my orphan twin has been adopted by another cow, so at least no more bucket feeding.

Great when that happens. We’d a cow last year that would let one twin suck. He was great at getting a drop when the other twin wouldbsuck but then he died and the oul bitch wouldn’t let him near her. Luckily he was going round the cows and another one we dried off took him on. Strange she’s a giddy, flighty one but she pulled us out of that hole

After a week of getting up 2 or 3 times a night the novelty of calving season wouldn't be long wearing off.

After a week of getting up 2 or 3 times a night the novelty of calving season wouldn't be long wearing off.

Result.

Massive Lim bull last night around 2. Hard pull on the jack the cow was over fat. Delighted to get him out I was fretting over her for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Result.

Was he under pressure? Usually when they're covered in poo like that, they are in distress.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

50 calved so far, 29 live fr heifers, 1 stillborn fr heifer, 1 aa heifer, a free Martin heifer and 19 bull calves. Lost one cow, last week. An old crossbred Norwegian red I had bought 2 years ago. Was fine in the morning and had her out with the rest and she was dead in the field later whatever happened her no marks in the field around her at all. She was a bit of a scrapper with other cow's so maybe something internally I dunno.
    An over fat heifer in the calving pen now hopefully her condition won't complicate calving

Was he under pressure? Usually when they're covered in poo like that, they are in distress.

We were both under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

We were both under pressure.

That charolasi bull is making you fairly well acquainted with the jack :) , just aswell hes throwing good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

whelan2 wrote: »
    I think they are gone dearer than mullinahone now?

Couldn’t answer that one , I’ve had not one tag of there tags fall off in the 3 years since I changed over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Bad start to calving 2020 here. Found dead pedigree twins down the field this morning.
    Not in the best of humor now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Bad start to calving 2020 here. Found dead pedigree twins down the field this morning.

I can't like that but you have my sympathies, hopefully there's better day's to come. The bit of farming I do wouldn't make or break anyone but I had a disaster of a year last year. It was just a mixture of bad luck and freak occurrences although it drove me near demented at the time. Here's hoping for better thing's and maybe this time next year we'll be millionaires!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Feck, that's bad luck!

I have a rule with these things. I’m allowed to be as pissed off as I like for 24 hours and then. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭endainoz

I have a rule with these things. I’m allowed to be as pissed off as I like for 24 hours and then. Move on.

Rightfully so, sorry to hear about your misfortune. Only good things from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,248 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was she far from her due date. Hate twins

Was she far from her due date. Hate twins

Due in a week. Was holding on to read the test this morning before bringing her home

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Angus2018

That time of year I come back to this forum again. 39 cows to calve here starting this weekend. 23 seasoned cows, 8 cows on their second and 8 heifers. All a mix of Angus and Hereford calves. No AI this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,248 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had a calf born on Sunday. I pulled him out. Noticed he had a full belly. Stomach tubed him and yesterday he still had the full belly. He was dead this morning. Must have had a problem with his stomach. Fr bull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Had a calf born on Sunday. I pulled him out. Noticed he had a full belly. Stomach tubed him and yesterday he still had the full belly. He was dead this morning. Must have had a problem with his stomach. Fr bull

Could be Volvolus. Had one like that, convinced it was caused by a hard pull. Volvulus diagnosed by Lab, Vet said it had nothing to do with hard pull.

Advertisement