Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,246 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

endainoz wrote: »
    Ordered mine just after Christmas, got them last week.

I was very good and ordered mine af the end of November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    I was very good and ordered mine af the end of November.

Same here, got caught once and have a reminder on my phone to order at the end of November in case I forget.

A few in bagging up now, one might go before morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,232 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Timmaay wrote: »
    Bloody waiting for tags here off them which were ordered the 20th Jan

Ordered the 13th here. Still waiting.
    Rang last week and I'm supposed to be in the batch going out this week from tomorrow on.

According to that you'll be next week.

Ordered the 13th here. Still waiting.
    Rang last week and I'm supposed to be in the batch going out this week from tomorrow on.

According to that you'll be next week.

Is that cormac or mullinahone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,232 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Is that cormac or mullinahone?

Mullinahone of course..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

stanflt wrote: »
    Just a few

About time ya got them sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭stanflt

Reggie. wrote: »
    About time ya got them sorted

For an army man I was surprised you couldn’t even handle a few hols calves this morning

For an army man I was surprised you couldn’t even handle a few hols calves this morning

He prefers angus dont ya know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭stanflt

He prefers angus dont ya know?

Oh I know- I don’t know how he handles them thou

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Mullinahone of course..

Cormac turn around is a few days , very efficient crowd

• Advertisement

Now do you really want to go there. Shall I mention the slurry tower

I think they are gone dearer than mullinahone now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Gave Cormac a real mixed bag order..... Calf tags.. Replacement cattle tags.. Factory lamb tags. Sets of EID sheep tags. Replacement sheep tags.

All in the door in 5 days under 1 postage cost. Would have been happy with 2 weeks turnaround.

If they were twice as dear as mullinahone I'd still order off them after putting up with their crap service for over 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Now do you really want to go there. Shall I mention the slurry tower

This deserves a thread of its own Reggie go on spill what did he do now !!!!!

mahoney_j wrote: »
    This deserves a thread of its own Reggie go on spill what did he do now !!!!!

I noticed he was giving you guff yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Had the first calf born on the 2nd of February, massive charx bull calf, but calved okay. Two more due at the end of month, then three due in March and then the main calving will start with all heifers and cows in April. All Ai calves, so fingers crossed that everything will be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I noticed he was giving you guff yesterday

Yep but no mods to report him to ,.really hurt my feelings ..........

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Yep but no mods to report him to ,.really hurt my feelings ..........

Somehow I think you'll survive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Mine seem to be taking 2 weeks with them

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Another vet job here yesterday. First calver. I left her alone for a decent while but handled her when not much progress was being made. Calf coming backwards and two huge legs so on to the vet straight away. Got the calf out okay although we had a bit of a job even out the side door. Huge bull calf. He hasn't stood since. I managed to milk a bit out of the cow and he drank it alright which was positive. Got a bit more into him this morning before work and my BIL will feed it this afternoon (hopefully it will still be alive). Not been the easiest calving season so far. Wrecked again today at work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

What kind of bull is the calf off?

tanko wrote: »
    What kind of bull is the calf off?

My own Limo stock bull. All other calves so far have been handy sized in fairness but this lad is a monster in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Parishlad wrote: »
    Another vet job here yesterday. First calver. I left her alone for a decent while but handled her when not much progress was being made. Calf coming backwards and two huge legs so on to the vet straight away. Got the calf out okay although we had a bit of a job even out the side door. Huge bull calf. He hasn't stood since. I managed to milk a bit out of the cow and he drank it alright which was positive. Got a bit more into him this morning before work and my BIL will feed it this afternoon (hopefully it will still be alive). Not been the easiest calving season so far. Wrecked again today at work!

Best of luck, think of these days the day you sell him and that will make it worth the while. I had an awful time getting a heifer to take to her bull calf. Got them sold 6 weeks later for £1600

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

orm0nd wrote: »
    Gave Cormac a real mixed bag order..... Calf tags.. Replacement cattle tags.. Factory lamb tags. Sets of EID sheep tags. Replacement sheep tags.

All in the door in 5 days under 1 postage cost. Would have been happy with 2 weeks turnaround.

If they were twice as dear as mullinahone I'd still order off them after putting up with their crap service for over 20 years.

And their tags don't fall out for no apparent reason.

And their tags don't fall out for no apparent reason.

What's the empty rate like for bvd samples?

What's the empty rate like for bvd samples?

I only had 1 so far out of about 150. You just need to be careful the little circular cutter hasn't fallen off the tag before you tag them. It won't take the sample if it has.

Had forth calf here this morning. 4th ch heifer in a row, handy enough but had a nice pull with her. Cow probably a bit over conditioned not helping matters.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Best of luck, think of these days the day you sell him and that will make it worth the while. I had an awful time getting a heifer to take to her bull calf. Got them sold 6 weeks later for £1600

Thanks! He's just after flooring 2 litres so he is lively and trying to stand. Just need to get his hind legs sorted. He's very bent over at the knuckles so a bit of physio will be called for later I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Had forth calf here this morning. 4th ch heifer in a row, handy enough but had a nice pull with her. Cow probably a bit over conditioned not helping matters.

That cow is in some order! Strange I'd have expected the calf colour to follow the ch bull more so. Nice comfortable pen too.

• Advertisement

squinn2912 wrote: »
    That cow is in some order! Strange I'd have expected the calf colour to follow the ch bull more so. Nice comfortable pen too.

She was still wet in the pic. Came a grand colour out of a black cow.

Advertisement