Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Wow! Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

blindsider wrote: »
    I love the look of the towers now the scaffolding has been removed.

I think they look very elegant and stylish - the way they taper a bit on the way down (or flare on the way up!) is so much nicer than a single-width tower.

(Maybe I'm odd..... but I think we will be looking at this bridge for a long time and it's great that there's a bit of style to it!)

A lot of motorway viaducts in France have little signs stating the architect's name, or the bridges in a certain part have their own style.

The only think similar here is the steel arch bridges over the east bit of the M6

and the real half hearted streetlights at junctions on the western M6 at Balinasloe and Kiltullagh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

A journalist with a local newspaper confirmed on twitter the the Engineers are saying December opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

m17 wrote: »
    The have 3 crews on site the are working 24/7 the are pushing for a 20/12/19 opening

A Christmas present to New Ross town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

There's a page about in the Wexford People group of Newspapers. It should be online in the next couple of days.

493125.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

New ross bypass September 19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 wytek

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Exactly, that's what inspections are for, I can't wait for it to open.

for people complaining about a little crumbled concrete (now repaired)

https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21207309-waterford-bridge-collapse/

The barrow crossing 21/10/19 (pics fb)
    LbcH0z3.jpg

XiNApX0.jpg

8SxdLcB.jpg

cpJcCLx.jpg

x63SIS5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

Does the 2nd last pic show that there's still a gap from one end of the bridge to the road?

December opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Kirbstone

No doubt the engineers & builders have their reasons, but as that Western section of the bridge was the first part to have its deck built, the gap remaining between it and the approach road seems odd.

December completion? Hardly likely now.

Tom

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lads, that's a very quick infill. They had a temp embankment ramp running onto the bridge deck to allow access for construction vehicles (It was never filled in fully). Have a look back at the pics in this thread. That's obviously now been removed to so that they can infill and lay the road on top. Something like that won't jeopardise a December opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,320 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Lads, that's a very quick infill. They had a temp embankment ramp running onto the bridge deck to allow access for construction vehicles (It was never filled in fully). Have a look back at the pics in this thread. That's obviously now been removed to so that they can infill and lay the road on top. Something like that won't jeopardise a December opening.

Exactly, half a day of McGuire's trucks would fill that in, please God in heaven let it open soon, got stuck 2 cars back behind a Toyota Aygo that was going so slowly I could almost read the make of tyres when I finally got to pass it. From Corcoran's roundabout to Ross has to be the worst road in the country I hate it with a passion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

About time they filled that bit in. It's been irrationally annoying me for ages :^)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

......that was going so slowly I could almost read the make of tyres when I finally got to pass it.

spluttered my coffee when I read that. We have all been there.

Brilliant.

The barrow crossing 21/10/19 (pics fb)

First picture of the bridge through the gorse bushes is fantastic.

Thanks for all your posts.

the barrow crossing 23/10/19 (pic fb)
    0zyWwZM.jpg

One of the temporary pillers coming down btw thanks for all the great comments over the past three years hope you have all enjoyed the pics and updates

the barrow crossing 23/10/19 (pic fb)
    0zyWwZM.jpg

One of the temporary pillers coming down btw thanks for all the great comments over the past three years hope you have all enjoyed the pics and updates

The old road is open again, last time I went down I had to turn around at the bridge, grumpy security jobsworth was snarling at me I couldn't even get a picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A great feat of engineering and it looks amazing.

Thanks for all the pix and updates. Hope it gets some nationwide publicity.

Great to see some good news re big infrastructural projects such as this. I know it was not without its issues and problems, but that is what engineers and the like are for, and it was sorted fine in the end.

No offence to RFK but I will always know it as the Barrow Bridge.

Take a bow all involved and posters too.

Thanks CM!

I will drive that route 5 more times this year - hoping the last 1 will be over the bridge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Will they give it a bit of a cleaning before they open it? The concrete looks quite grimy in m17's picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

This is one of the big problems with concrete. Just look at the concrete central reservation barriers on the motorways - dark grey and 'orrible already as a result of oxidation.

There's no way they are going to sandblast the bridge or the central reservations any time soon. I'd imagine the application of a sealant or protective coating purely on aesthetic grounds would be considered too expensive also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

From the flyover at Ballylane East.

skodacb wrote: »
    From the flyover at Ballylane East.

Good picture.

What is is blue road sign in the centre foreground ? I can’t make it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Good picture.

What is is blue road sign in the centre foreground ? I can’t make it out.

I think it's a sign for the emergency layby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Should that be blue, considering its not a motorway? Did someone f-up or is this some sort of allowed exception?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Anyone a local? Curious to know how sentiment is split between taking away the traffic vs. fall off in trade for businesses on the old route.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

JohnC. wrote: »
    Should that be blue, considering its not a motorway? Did someone f-up or is this some sort of allowed exception?

A layby is marked by a blue P on any class of road - I assume this is similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭NedNew2

sdanseo wrote: »
    Anyone a local? Curious to know how sentiment is split between taking away the traffic vs. fall off in trade for businesses on the old route.

Local people are very much looking forward to the opening but local businesses are nervous. Overwhelmingly it's positive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

There wouldn't be many of the businesses that would fret in my opinion.
    Entering the town from the Wexford side you've got Aldi and Lidl who you couldn't really consider local anyway.
    Mixed in with those you've got Sidneys and the Shelbourne. Sidneys might lose a bit, but only locals go to the Shelbourne anyway.
    Next up is the Dunbrody which might also suffer a bit.

For the remaining 240m of quay that isn't derelict: any tourist driving through is so concentrated on the 5 pedestrian crossings, 2 roundabouts, 5 exits and the general walking dead that they would rarely have seen a reason to stop.
    https://goo.gl/maps/FyWsnsukXkNEg77E6
    I hope the engineer who thought this was a good idea was put out to grass early.

By then you're on the bridge heading to greener pastures.
    The Gala petrol station will be hit hardest of all and finally there's Paddy Berry who probably won't see any drop in drum sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah, what the hell are all those pedestrian crossings about? They are dangerous as hell.

I'm amazed that this crap comes up time and again re a bypass and how it affects local business.

Firstly, people who are forced to travel thorugh a bottleneck e.g. NR almost never stop there - they want to get THROUGH the town.

Secondly, this bypass has been flagged since at least 2007 (1st post on this thread) - anyone who cared could see that this was scheduled a long time ago. Plenty of time for a business to plan accordingly. Bypasses are there to prevent traffic congestion - and not the harbinger of all evil, taking business away from a town or village

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

blindsider wrote: »
    I'm amazed that this crap comes up time and again re a bypass and how it affects local business.

Firstly, people who are forced to travel thorugh a bottleneck e.g. NR almost never stop there - they want to get THROUGH the town.

Secondly, this bypass has been flagged for more than 10 yrs - anyone who cared could see that this was scheduled a long time ago. Plenty of time for a business to plan accordingly. Bypasses are there to prevent traffic congestion - and not the harbinger of all evil, taking business away from a town or village

I completely agree. I asked the question because I'm not from the area and read about negative effects on businesses in or near Enniscorthy and was simply curious.

Greater good and all that.
    Azatadine wrote: »
    Yeah, what the hell are all those pedestrian crossings about? They are dangerous as hell.

Dangerous how exactly? They're well marked, could do with some advance signage but have the pelican lights. Much better than pedestrian traffic lights (a pet peeve of mine, they should be burned to the ground in 90% of current applications) which only serve to delay traffic through people pressing and not crossing or people crossing before they go red.

Even in America, king of the car, this type of non-signalised crossing is provided regularly and works well.

The problem with the pedestrian crossings is not their type, it's the quantity of them in a very short space of time, interspersed with roundabouts and other exits/entrances.
    There are simply too many things for motorists to be paying attention to, even at 30 kph.

The barrow crossing 28/10/19 they have started tarmac on the bridge (pic fb)
    uMlpAnx.jpg

Unfortunately I now always think of Richard Keys when I hear 'tarmac' :(

Will the top surface on the bridge be the same as for the rest of the bypass or does it differ to handle the lower temperatures and potential icing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Temporary pillar half demolished today..

2e14o33.jpg

Great progress for just one bloke in a cherry picker

The barrow crossing 28/10/19 (pic fb)
    7xi8M1P.jpg

josip wrote: »
    Great progress for just one bloke in a cherry picker

Demolition is his speciality .. to quote Christy Moore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Demolition is his speciality .. to quote Christy Moore.

Demolition-Man-1-758x455.jpg

• Advertisement

The barrow crossing 29/10/19 (pic fb)
    LsEZL4W.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Not the best weather today.

Digging out the pond on the new ross bypass 30/10/19

Digging out the pond on the new ross bypass 30/10/19

Great vid.

"I love work, I could sit and watch it all day"

the barrow crossing weatherproofing is now complete 29/10/19 (pic fb)
    7875WsP.jpg

the barrow crossing 28/10/19 (pics fb)
    ONWHTEq.jpg

HXHgGpt.jpg

1qIi3Zp.jpg

yysGgMx.jpg

The barrow crossing 28/10/19
    1DurYdp.jpg

The barrow crossing 03/11/19 (pic fb)
    cs8c7d7.jpg
    70 tonne liebhan hymac moving to the stokes town side to demolish the second temporary piller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The barrow crossing 04/11/19 (pic fb)
    YG86vQ4.jpg

iuOfm80.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement