Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you just "don't get"?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Such as? Sounds a bit paranoid.

As an example: Family/community wars. People aren't aware that a lot of things can be put into the wrong context and this could potentially used against you and cause your family hassle.
    I've seen a neighbourhood war first hand where both parties were using the children's pictures for ridiculous claims such as: yer wan is stalking my child. Her child looks neglected. That boy is obviously malnourished.
    I wouldn't fancy that for my two and I felt really sorry for the involved kids.

I also have no interest to have my children's photos stolen and repurposed without my consent.
    Child identity theft is a real thing and as a parent I see it as my duty to protect my children's privacy until they're able to make their own decisions about it. I really don't care if anyone thinks I'm paranoid in that regard, I prefer to operate a "better safe than sorry" approach when it comes to my children's digital footprint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

McGaggs wrote: »
    I totally get that, I only have two pictures of my kids online. But the whole paedo panic thing I just don't get.
    Paedos tend to not put it in their profile so it could be anyone in your friends list. No parent wants to think of paedos masturbating over photos of their kids. If there are photos up, there is a real possibility it could end up in a paedo's **** bank. If there are no photos, it definitely can't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Smoking.I just dont get why people start smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Those stickers you see on the back of cars that are cartoon characters of the different members of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

White runners for non sport
    The current size of cadburys roses
    South Dubliners talking like US valley girls
    People paying €15+ for a 'gourmet' hamburger
    Christmas jumpers
    Expensive Branded socks
    Adults using apps to add dog ears/nose to face
    The tolerance for lack of talent
    Ray darcy listeners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

beejee wrote: »
    Tis the season and all that, people buying presents and all the shopping on overkill.

Wandering around a few shops yesterday it struck me that there are some very popular items/things that I just "don't get". I don't understand the popularity.

I could name loads of things, but I'll stick to two: phones and televisions.

Phones... Madness to me. 500 and 600 and 700 plus quid for a phone. For what?!

I'll buy myself a phone for around 100 quid, job done for years. It will take good pictures, good videos, loads of storage, use the Internet. Job done.

So why are people spending 10 times more on such a basic tool? Oh it can load a Web page 0.0000000007 nano seconds faster? Wow! It has multiple lens to take a picture? Phwooar!

Nah, just don't get it. Whatsoever.

Televisions are the same to me. Big television, very nice.

Spend an extra thousand quid to go from "4k" to "8k"? Crazy. I'm looking at the display televisions on shops, and I don't think I'd notice a difference even if I had a magnifying glass.

I just don't get it.

I understand paying more for a couple extra features, but literally multiples of the price? Nah, it's barking mad.

What don't ye "get" over the silly season? Or are you barking mad too? Woof!

The 8K thing is hilarious, we don't even have decent 4K streaming services that are TRUE 4k....

Also for 8K to be truly noticeable you'd need a TV screen the size of the side of your house ...

pure marketting ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Christmas Crackers
    Paying anything more than €7 or €8 for a Gin & Tonic.
    Women wearing those massive scarves that cover most of their front.
    Women wearing three or four scarves wrapped around each other around their necks.
    Guys wearing trousers that make them look like they have no ass.
    Guys wearing suits so tightly cut they look like the have to stitched into them.
    McDonalds
    Starbucks
    Bicycles with no back mudguard.
    Guys who ask you what soccer team you support by way of making conversation.
    Paying €25+ for afternoon tea.
    Spa Breaks
    People using tablets as cameras especially in busy areas.
    Most American TV comedies
    Candycrush (I see adults playing it on the bus, WTF is that all about?)
    Cat lover's who come out with comments like "you don't own a cat, they own you" (give me a dog anyday).
    Kylie Minogue.
    Cork People who insist on calling Bishop Lucey Park "The Peace Park" (It was NEVER called this).
    Baby on Boards stickers on Cars (Am I expected to drive with more care that usual because you you're not capable? You had the child, your responsibility!

Have I offended enough people there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Seamai wrote: »
    Christmas Crackers

Baby on Boards stickers on Cars (Am I expected to drive with more care that usual because you you're not capable? You had the child, your responsibility!

This used to be a bugbear of mine until a firefighter told me that those stickers are required if you have a child in the car in case of an accident - if baby has been thrown from the car or slipped under a seat etc, emergency services will know to check

"Woke" culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

atticu wrote: »
    That is because you don’t use the feature.
    I am just giving you a reason why some people spend more than you on a phone.

What does the feature do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

White runners for non sport
    The current size of cadburys roses
    South Dubliners talking like US valley girls
    People paying €15+ for a 'gourmet' hamburger
    Christmas jumpers
    Expensive Branded socks
    Adults using apps to add dog ears/nose to face
    The tolerance for lack of talent
    Ray darcy listeners

:mad::mad::mad: This so much! Also, that stupid filter where everything looks super smooth to the point of making the subject look like an alien. Massive eyebrows and over-contouring - seen one seem 'em all.

Narcissists who spend their entire life on Instagram, adding Stories of the most irrelevant and pointless activities -- such as making a cup of tea, videos of themselves walking down a street etc.

I can't think of a more dreadful existence than having the need to wake up, day-to-day, and add these pointless activities for some ego-massaging, narcissistic need.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

optogirl wrote: »
    This used to be a bugbear of mine until a firefighter told me that those stickers are required if you have a child in the car in case of an accident - if baby has been thrown from the car or slipped under a seat etc, emergency services will know to check

If that is so, parents should take off the things when there's no child "on board", but no-one does this.

More to do with a 1980s American fad that only got here in recent years.

If that is so, parents should take off the things when there's no child "on board", but no-one does this.

More to do with a 1980s American fad that only got here in recent years.
    It originally took off in the US to indicate to tailgators that there's a baby in the car and therefore the driver isn't going to speed. It became an urban legend that the death of a baby lead to these signs but it's not true. Wiki link.

I think one of those signs would lead emergency services to check for a baby just in case but it would be a cursory check. Unless the car is completely mangled, it's going to be obvious if there's a baby in a baby seat. And if the car is that badly damaged, there's a good chance they can't immediately do anything anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Christmas Crackers
    Women wearing three or four scarves wrapped around each other around their necks.
    Guys wearing suits so tightly cut they look like the have to stitched into them.
    McDonalds
    Starbucks
    Spa Breaks
    Cat lover's who come out with comments like "you don't own a cat, they own you" (give me a dog anyday).
    Kylie Minogue.
    Cork People who insist on calling Bishop Lucey Park "The Peace Park" (It was NEVER called this).

Baby on boards stickers are for emergency services not other drivers

They're really, really not. I've never seen an ad campaign where parents are encouraged to have baby on board stickers for the benefit of emergency services. Like was said a few posts above, do parents take the sign down every time they drive without the baby? Would emergency services not check the back of a car if the car didn't have a baby on board sign? I have never come across a single article where emergency services said that without the baby on board sign, they wouldn't have looked for and found the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Seen a woman with TRIPLET mixed boys in tow past my house yesterday :eek: seemed a right handful but what are the odds!

May be something in them african beans but hey triple the joy ..

I doubt it somehow a that paramedics, Gardaí or firefighters are going to go around to the back of a car to see if there is one of these stickers on it. I wouldn't insult their intelligence, they know where to look. On the other hand a parent once told me that "it's the law" to have one of these stickers. I doubt it very much that's true.

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Seen a woman with TRIPLET mixed boys in tow past my house yesterday :eek: seemed a right handful but what are the odds!

May be something in them african beans but hey triple the joy ..

More like triple the hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

More like triple the hell.

Hah :pac: gettin there. Triply fast...

• Advertisement

optogirl wrote: »

This “reason” for them is total bull, an urban legend and a stupid one at that. No one with any self respect should be seen with a “baby on board” sticker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Christmas Crackers
    McDonalds
    Starbucks
    Spa Breaks
    Kylie Minogue.

Good list. Except for the first one..what's wrong with Christmas crackers?

They're been part of our Christmas dinner routine since as long as I can remember. I figured it's the same in every household.

Can't have a Christmas dinner without the lane king hat you get in the crackers ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Ive watched videos but still none the wiser.

The moon spins around like the earth.

It also orbits the earth. How come we only ever see one face if it no matter where on earth you are.

Surely if it spins around its own axis it has to show its "back" to the earth!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There,s no broadcasts in 8k format, so i don,t know why people are buying 8k tvs for 4grand .sky has ultra hd channels if you have sky q reciever .
    4tv s might be useful if you are a big console gamer.
    Everyone has different taste, no point in saying i don,t like a certain singer or a pop group.Same go,s for tv shows, some people do not watch reality tv or soaps, or sport on tv.
    Mcdonalds is cheap and it has free wifi and it has a certain quality of food .And theres tables to sit at , unlike your local chipper .
    I don,t understand skinny jeans, every generation has its own fashion quirks that make no sense to older people.
    I thought south dubliners talked with a dart accent,or a sort of middle of the road posh accent.maybe i,m out of date.Guys talking sport is the easy option,
    or maybe they have no interest in current affairs, or politics .Like people who talk about the weather.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It also orbits the earth. How come we only ever see one face if it no matter where on earth you are.

The moon orbits the Earth once every 27.322 days. It also takes approximately 27 days for the moon to rotate once on its axis. As a result, the moon does not seem to be spinning but appears to observers from Earth to be keeping almost perfectly still. Scientists call this synchronous rotation.

I learned something new today. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Pussy

It's more like the Piss Park.

People cutting fashion holes in their trouser knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

B0jangles wrote: »
    Those pod coffee machines

what the hell are they about? - like, why would you spend a fortune on a machine so's you can spend a fortune on little pots of crap coffee? Little pots that are apparently a pain in the ass to recycle.

Buy decent beans, a grinder and an aeropress.

There, now you have good coffee and you're not knee-deep in stupid little pots!
    Nope man..that post is bull**** !
    Machines now around €75 Eurons

Pang ! Fill machine with water.

Pang! Switch it on

Pang! Insert coffee capsule

Pang ! Hit the start button

Pang ! Lovely cup of coffee waiting to be drunk !!!

What's not to like about that ...knee deep in coffee pots ??? How many cups a day do you drink Dude ?

Jeeze.....some folks .....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

And the earth spins 360 degrees in approximately 23 hours 56 minutes:pac:

Advertisement