Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

growleaves wrote: »
    I didn't say that most people around me are driven by evil intentions.

I said that most people's thoughts are evil most of the time.

I don't know if evil is too strong a word, but most people are definitely self serving and self absorbed most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

What to give was start of thread and
    the answer is Just be friendly and non judgmental.

i agree as the "thought" is for self preservation and food etc..
    this is government fault as they ensure you suffer instead of spreading resources
    evenly and fairly.
    there will always be a greedy few just as always be murderers and alcoholics as
    humans are not line produced robots (which even they a percentage go askew).
    equality\rights\justice are some of the words politicians use for sound bites but
    purposefully ensure they are not enforced except when the want to enforce ie justice
    on their terms to hold down the citizens.
    i am not homophobic you can be gay as you want but you are now more "equal" than me
    whom is a Nature Natural Heterosexual Human and not a perverse Non Nature Natural male whom is
    perverse by male penis in male anus - That is not what nature gave humans the penis and vagina for,.
    otherwise neither organs are needeed.
    remember evil is subjective notion as the
    farmer thinks mice in store are evil,
    gets cat whom kills mice
    some humans and mice think cat is evil.
    Same as is human evil if takes excess food "theft" from another to feed the children or they die.
    Evil is a subjective word and over 60 years of life experience it is by my experience
    "those of power and authority are the most evil humans" as they abuse it.
    just look at government getting two recent pay rises whilst part time bar staff out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Unpopular Opinion - Princess Diana's looks were overrated.

Tzardine wrote: »
    media hype and majority suck it up. as with all - the purposeful
    shaping of humans to suit a line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

just in general she was over rated as a person. I do not get the fawning for her from anyone not from the UK. I understand the UK peoples obsession a little more but for anyone from especially here its a bit pathetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I'll say one thing, she was no Camilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

unpopular opinion : pole dancing is inherently sexual , the business of re-branding it as 'fitness' is both a sick attempt to make it seem acceptable for children to learn and an avenue for narcissistic women on social media to constantly upload photos of themselves pole dancing in half nothing for likes but double down on the likes with faux-feminist rants about how they're sick of being sexualised by men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Patsy167

unpopular opinion: Nostalgia is a liar. A lot of people harking back to "normal times" and complaining about being restricted from doing things they never actually did in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I think those button back wedding dresses that are super tight on the bum and thighs are actually incredibly unflattering on most women.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Eh.... no. Or that makes me a sure thing for the pope to canonise me a saint. I honestly can't recall the last time I wished actual ill on someone. I'm quite sure I did, but it's a rare event. What other evil thoughts are you talking about? How are you defining evil? Eating a ham sandwich because a pig died for it sorta thing?

Sorry, but IMHO that's a seriously skewed way to look at the world and people. Are most people self serving to one degree or other? Sure, we tend to look to us and our own first, but that's about as "evil" as most people get. Most people just trundle through life not being dicks for the most part.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

just in general she was over rated as a person. I do not get the fawning for her from anyone not from the UK. I understand the UK peoples obsession a little more but for anyone from especially here its a bit pathetic

Probably because she was slightly less of an automaton than most of the rest of that weird dysfunctional family.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

Wibbs wrote: »
    Eh.... no. Or that makes me a sure thing for the pope to canonise me a saint. I honestly can't recall the last time I wished actual ill on someone. I'm quite sure I did, but it's a rare event. What other evil thoughts are you talking about? How are you defining evil? Eating a ham sandwich because a pig died for it sorta thing?

Sorry, but IMHO that's a seriously skewed way to look at the world and people. Are most people self serving to one degree or other? Sure, we tend to look to us and our own first, but that's about as "evil" as most people get. Most people just trundle through life not being dicks for the most part.

I'm defining it differently from how most people would I suppose, and the word 'evil' may seem a little dramatic in the context of what I mean.

Let me try again.

Say a normal person wakes up goes to work, and they spend first half of the day doing office work/statistics.

Most of that work is lacking in moral quality because the arithmetical assumptions which underpin it are not just deadening but actively bad and false. People jokingly call this 'soulless' work.

To me, bureaucracy isn't neutral, it really is very bad and many people are embedded in a sort of corrupting stream of routines and evasion for a lot of their working life. Many people tell 'white lies' all day long every day.

Then our normal person goes home and is immersed in mass media for the rest of the day. Say Netflix or the internet. A LOT of the content is corrupt and demoralising. There is a lot of cultural antagonism and meanness and many people partake of bitter feuds around politics and other things.

All these things are intrusive upon people's thoughts as they surround a person.

I still expect this to be unpopular but maybe you get where I'm coming from a bit better.

I am saying that a lot of what is considered harmless is much worse than it seems.

I'm not personally unhappy or paranoid and I direct my energy away from things I consider negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People will die because others want to enjoy Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Puppy farms aren't as bad as where the Sunday roast comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Puppy farms aren't as bad as where your celebrated Christmas turkey comes from. Actually Perhaps they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

The problem is that some people can't afford NOT to have children.

Council House, extra welfare and medical cards etc all handed to you, and the more kids you have the more you get.

Have a family member that is in this exact situation. Recently given a brand new house in a nice estate valued at 350k. They have it about 1 year and its already in bits.The kids are dragged up, neither of the parents work, yet they have no shortage of money for drink and weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

There should be mandatory sterilisation of adults over the age of 25 with convictions of serious violent crimes. Also the welfare system should be refocused to give more benifits to people who take the option to sterilise themselves to ensure they don't create more dependents on the state. A cap on welfare receipts after 2 children.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The problem is that some people can't afford NOT to have children.

Council House, extra welfare and medical cards etc all handed to you, and the more kids you have the more you get.

Have a family member that is in this exact situation. Recently given a brand new house in a nice estate valued at 350k. They have it about 1 year and its already in bits.The kids are dragged up, neither of the parents work, yet they have no shortage of money for drink and weed.

thats down to lobbying by the ideological left wing groupings of media , NGO and charity sector , add in the political parties of the left like SF and PBP who need as many people as possible state dependent to garner votes

truly rotten cocktail

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

beerguts wrote: »
    There should be mandatory sterilisation of adults over the age of 25 with convictions of serious violent crimes. Also the welfare system should be refocused to give more benifits to people who take the option to sterilise themselves to ensure they don't create more dependents on the state. A cap on welfare receipts after 2 children.

the first is nazi stuff and ghastly state over reach

agree however about capping child benefit , this is a must when it comes to travellers in particular

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I'm a huge Blur and Oasis fan .... about 50/50 .... since start...

Its surprising the amount of raised eyebrows that has caused me over the years....

• Registered Users Posts: 40 galway_lad

Fr Ted is fine, nothing overly great though, and it most certainly does not stand up to repeated viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

celebrities have too much shelf space in kids sections in bookshops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Oasis weren't that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

By unpopular opinion is that gaelic football is a better sport than hurling. I have voiced this numerous times but apparently it's sacrilege. It seems in Ireland you are allowed to have any favourite sport of your choosing but no one will accept that you believe football is better than hurling.

I think hurling is a fine sport too but I just think it's too easy to score and prefer the more tactical aspects of gaelic football.

I fully admit that football is going through a particularly dull period at the moment though.

galway_lad wrote: »
    Fr Ted is fine, nothing overly great though, and it most certainly does not stand up to repeated viewing.

It's over 26 tears since last episode was made.

Worn out.

My unpopular opinion: in 2026 viewers will have had enough of Mrs browns boys

• Registered Users Posts: 40 galway_lad

By unpopular opinion is that gaelic football is a better sport than hurling.

Shush you're not supposed to say it out loud! I totally agree though. Just wish that it was spiced up a bit but these things come and go...

Unpopular opinion: If you're over 10 and under 65 years of age, and are moaning about Christmas being cancelled, you're a laughing stock. Grow up ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

My unpopular opinion is that there should be a minimum post count that must be reached before being allowed post on this thread,

Re-reg central all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

Linda Martin is a ride

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

beerguts wrote: »

That was tried in India (linking welfare to sterilisation) by Indira Gandhi and the Congress Party in the 1970s.

It was bitterly rejected with Congress being dumped out of office at the next election.

Advertisement