Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heavy Rain Risk Sunday Night/Monday

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

dexter647 wrote: »
    lashing rain here at the moment and very windy...hopefully some thunder later??:)
    Where in Laois are you? I am near Rathdowney and it is absolutely hammering down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

mike65 wrote: »
    Just lost my sat signal :( (note to self after tweaking it - tighten it!)

Nope it's not just you. My Sky just went out. Oh wait it's back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

some_dose wrote: »
    Nope it's not just you. My Sky just went out. Oh wait it's back

Yep my tightening was fine, it is/was the whole shebang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Pouring rain here in Thurles : and very very windy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's very blustery and wet here now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Haddockman wrote: »
    Where in Laois are you? I am near Rathdowney and it is absolutely hammering down.

just a mile or so outside ballacolla so getting the same torrent your experiencing i'd imagine:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

all quiet here,had heavy hazy rain from late afternoon which stopped an hour or so ago,slight breeze now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Ocassional light drizzle here in Dublin city centre, looks like the main event is a couple of hours away.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

RobitTV wrote: »
    Aboustely pourin down in Waterford its really heavy with heavy winds aswell!

Just to add at stat to that post, rain rate at the moment here is 6.7mm per hour. Very heavy stuff with loss of sat signal for a while but back now so i can see Murray lose lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,387 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Forecasted rain for 2am tonight

3hr_rain_1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Have a quick look at this... and whats currently at the bottom of the radar heading our way...
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Have a quick look at this... and whats currently at the bottom of the radar heading our way...

Wow some heavy stuff there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

yeah i was looking at that a few minutes ago. it seems those in the south east are going to get a deluge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i bet you'll change your mind after a week of wet weather:p

well we've had a summer of lovely calm weather in youghal, need some decent rain to batter off the caravan for a change. just waiting for some lightening and thunder.:D going home tomorrow anyway.

plenty of rain in youghal. was having a conversation with my mum, couldnt hear her talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

60 or so viewers on the weather forum at midnight on Sunday, not a bad tally. It's been foggy for most of the day and now is no exception but I think there's heavy but drizzly rain outside currently.

• Advertisement

woooohooo lightening here in youghal:D cant hear any thunder, but then again the wind is howling like mad i'm not surprized

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,588 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Have updated the Boards forecast thread to indicate potential for 30-50 mms of rain on (calendar) Monday in southeast counties as well as Waterford. For an estimate of how much more rain to expect in the next 24 hours, on top of what's already fallen, take this rough guide, 30-50 mms southeast tapering off to 20-40 mms northwest, then as little as 10-20 mms in Kerry and northeast Ulster, so it's a case of the heavier rainfalls being likely in a diagonal stretch from southeast to northwest but the maximum amounts will probably be on higher ground facing east or south in Wicklow, Wexford, Dublin and any other counties that have hills in the path of this heavy rain.

I don't know how many recording stations there might be on these slopes but a local maximum of 75 mms is possible somewhere about half-way up the slopes of the higher mountains. This could lead to some flash flooding of streams flowing out of the Wicklow and south Dublin mountains in particular.

Some embedded thunderstorms in this rain may provide even more reason for the forum to stay active overnight, I would say watch for this to develop between 0200 and 0600h. Dublin might be right in the path of the thunder and lightning, certainly Wexford and Wicklow, probably also Carlow, Kilkenny and Laois.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Wind currently blasting from a Southerly direction. Rain is pretty heavy here at the moment, roads starting to fill with water.......

I thought that the weather system is due to cross us from a South-Westerly direction (Eg. Co Kerry - Co Louth)?

However looking on the rainfall radar it appears to be dead straight from Cork - Athlone - Cavan!!:confused:

Have updated the Boards forecast thread to indicate potential for 30-50 mms of rain on (calendar) Monday in southeast counties as well as Waterford. For an estimate of how much more rain to expect in the next 24 hours, on top of what's already fallen, take this rough guide, 30-50 mms southeast tapering off to 20-40 mms northwest, then as little as 10-20 mms in Kerry and northeast Ulster, so it's a case of the heavier rainfalls being likely in a diagonal stretch from southeast to northwest but the maximum amounts will probably be on higher ground facing east or south in Wicklow, Wexford, Dublin and any other counties that have hills in the path of this heavy rain.

I don't know how many recording stations there might be on these slopes but a local maximum of 75 mms is possible somewhere about half-way up the slopes of the higher mountains. This could lead to some flash flooding of streams flowing out of the Wicklow and south Dublin mountains in particular.

Some embedded thunderstorms in this rain may provide even more reason for the forum to stay active overnight, I would say watch for this to develop between 0200 and 0600h. Dublin might be right in the path of the thunder and lightning, certainly Wexford and Wicklow, probably also Carlow, Kilkenny and Laois.

by any chance does that include youghal, ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Lightning in cork for the last half hour. Sat signal gone too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

mawk wrote: »
    Lightning in cork for the last half hour. Sat signal gone too

Jammy feckers:):)

so it's a case of the heavier rainfalls being likely in a diagonal stretch from southeast to northwest but the maximum amounts will probably be on higher ground facing east or south in Wicklow, Wexford, Dublin and any other counties that have hills in the path of this heavy rain.

The Greystones wet watch may stay up for this.... I'm wondering will it fill my freshly emptied water butt..

Bit of T & L would be great too...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'm afraid to go to bed in case i miss any action!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

im in west cork and i havent seen or heard a thing, besides the wind and rain that is! been lookin out the window! :(

i'm beginning to think i was seeing things now.:confused: i'm up for night to watch this.

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    i'm beginning to think i was seeing things now.:confused: i'm up for night to watch this.

i want to wait and see what happens but my eyes are getting heavy, lol! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Rain is hopping off the stones here in East Limerick, been hammering down for well over an hour following a damp evening of drizzly showers.

No sign of lightning yet but I'm afraid there will be floods in the am if this continues.

Lashing down again here, sat signal lost again.

Very heavy stuff with loss of sat signal for a while but back now so i can see Murray lose lol :D

I take it you enjoyed that finale so!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

Wind has just got up here in the last hour, 30mph odd
    spots of rain but nowt to talk about,

will have to see what the morning brings if it gets this far,
    but would think it would have blown its self out by then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭pauldry

Heavy rain just started here. The highest I see on the Met stations is 13.2mm for the hour in Roches Point but ooodles to come yet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Not long back from Croker, horrible night for driving - but it cant dampen the spirit! A few bonfires were ablaze along the road even with the rain. :D

In anycase, there is now localized flooding across North Tipperary.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I take it you enjoyed that finale so!:D

Sure did :D not a fan ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

Very heavy rain in Tipp Town, so bad my Sky tv has frozen,,,

Heaviest we have had so far now, should have some huge amounts from the rain gauge in the morning :)

Sure did :D not a fan ;)

I can't stand him. The sport element for me is watching for who'll put him out!:p

Back on topic,nothing much happening here,windy with some light rain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The real risk of flooding will be, most likely, from 3am onward. Some very intense downpours arriving in the South East in particular and the rain really pepping up in other areas where there has already been a good amount. The far west will have heavy showers aswell but should be drier overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,588 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The rainfall that really has me concerned is on the UK radar just west of the Scilly Isles around 7-8W at 2330z (0030 BST) -- showing torrential on the scale there, so when this arrives in the southeast around 0200h I think the rainfall rates there will double or triple from what they have been earlier. Could easily see 10 mms an hour from that band and there are sferics showing on meteociel all along this stationary frontal band.

Aye, some serious stuff on radar atm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

This thread reminds me of the much awaited snowfall of last January, almost up there with waiting for Santa as a kid!

First time I've seen the white bit of rain on that radar..
    So I wont need to water the garden tomorrow then right...??

Shannon radar just gone on the blink. Perfect timing as usual.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

Definite and sudden enough increase in wind speed here in Dublin in the last few minutes...

First time I've seen the white bit of rain on that radar..
    So I wont need to water the garden tomorrow then right...??

you know what they say, when it rains, it pours!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

light rain here in dublin i wanna see some lighting :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Just back from a spin to the other side of the Wicklow/Kildare border(Kill Village). Very rough night with alot of debris on the roads. Looking forward to some T-Storm action later:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

MrDarcy wrote: »
    This thread reminds me of the much awaited snowfall of last January, almost up there with waiting for Santa as a kid!
    was just thinking that :D

light rain started here,breeze picking up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Living SE of Limerick city. Not seeing the very heavy rain in the Ballysimon and Caherconlish area. I can imagine judging by the rainfall radar at met.ie that the heavy rain would be in Cappamore and Doon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I drove home tonight to Kerry from the All-Ireland Hurling in Croker and this was some of the worst rain I ever encountered in my life and was most certainly not typical Irish rain. The entire M8 down along was at a crawl with the worst of the rain down along from Kildare to Limerick it was unreal and there was cloud lightning around Cork city then tonight between 10.30pm and 11.00pm. Absolutely diabolical driving conditions with clouds of spray all over the place and aquaplaning.

On the plus side my car is like it was powerhosed clean and any dead insects collected on the way up are long since washed off!

Is this Hurricane related?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭fishmahboi

Mah boi this rain is what all true warriors strive for :D

Quite windy here atm but the rain is going from moderate to light and sometimes heavy

Gale Warning

Southeast winds will continue to reach gale force overnight on northern and eastern coastal waters and on the Irish Sea with southeast gales elsewhere abating during the night.
    Issued at 00:00 on 06-Sep-2010

Small Craft Warning

See gale warning
    Issued at 12:00 on 05-Sep-2010

Sea Area Forecast until 2400 Monday 06 September 2010

Issued at 2400 Sunday 05 September 2010

Gale warning: In operation

Small craft warning: See gale warning

Meteorological situation at 2100 hours: A southeast gale gradient over Ireland will transfer over the North Sea as fronts move in over Ireland in a complex area of low pressure.

Forecast for southern and western coastal waters from Hook Head to Slyne Head to Rossan Point
    Wind: Southeasterly gale force 8. Becoming southwesterly force 3 or 4 tonight.
    Weather: Rain/fog continuing to clear eastwards to scattered showers overnight. Risk of isolated thunderstorms.
    Visibility: Poor at times.

Forecast for northern, eastern and southeastern coastal waters from Rossan Point to Howth Head to Hook Head and the Irish Sea
    Wind: Southeasterly gale force 8 gradually decreasing generally during the day to force 4 or 5 but staying up to force 7 from Malin Head to and including the North Channel.
    Weather: Rain/fog clearing later to scattered showers. Risk of isolated thunderstorms.
    Visibility: Moderate to poor becoming good except in showers.

Warning of heavy swell: Nil

Outlook for a further 24 hours until 2400 Tuesday 07 September 2010: Light to moderate variable winds mainly between southeast and southwest in direction. Heavy, thundery showers.

Next update before 0700 Monday 06 September 2010

• Advertisement
Advertisement