Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very Warm, Thunderstorms, Flash flooding - Friday through weekend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Any chance of this hitting Dundalk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Here they come ^

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some "blob" to our south now....another couple of hours....(didn't seem to work) was a link to here http://www.sat24.com/gb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭acequion

Will we get very heavy rain and wind in Tralee with the thunder and lightening? I've some new potted petunias out in a rather exposed place and was wondering if I should put them somewhere sheltered. Flowers cost a bloody fortune and don't want them ruined.Thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

Some "blob" to our south now....another couple of hours....(didn't seem to work) was a link to here http://www.sat24.com/gb

one white pixel on a black screen *runs very fast to safety*

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭irishharper

whitebriar wrote: »
    About 2 to 3 hrs and yes should be a lot of lightning there too if thats ok?

By the way have you batteries folks as some areas especially rural will lose electricity supply

Ok thanks very much , some of twitter pics so far of lightning are unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    Any chance of this hitting Dundalk?
    Eventually,but not really tonight,get a good nights sleep as I suspect you will be sick of thunder by sunday ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Going to be a long night . . .

szVy1UW.jpg

UNGBRYt.jpg

w4bscuM.jpg

yuiE2Qv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2014071906_201407172240_2_stormforecast.xml

Looks unlikely for later tomorrow... that's our fun over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Will this hit Dublin tonight?

The very latest on the current storms from met eireann over on radio 1 in a couple of minutes.....(after status quo) lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The very latest on the current storms from met eireann over on radio 1 in a couple of minutes.....

Ready and waiting :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

rain just started in Glenbeigh. south west Kerry. (please send thunder/lightning)

Will this hit Dublin tonight?
    No.

Ah "relentless" - I knew it was our Siobhan did the write up for the met website earlier ;-)

• Advertisement

ya lol, once I read the update on the met.ie I knew she would be on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Once the storm front passes southwest tip of Wales and begins to draw in more unstable air over western England, transporting that across the Welsh mountains, it should induce a wave effect that will stimulate uplift on the east side of the Wicklow Mountains. I am timing that for about 0230-0400h. This is when I think the complex will reach its most intense phase.

More scattered cells further west will probably pulse in phase with that development. Unstable air located over central Ireland after today's heating will then be energized and the entire complex should have about a 3-6 hour life cycle over land before becoming de-energized by mostly the opposite set of conditions, stable air flowing in, downsloping etc.

Thus I would suggest anyone thinking of staying up to watch this unfold, be patient, it may be closer to 0300-0400h before it gets really active.

Dublin timing is about 0500-0700h. Something like a 50-50 chance that it remains very active past that point. Someone asked about Dundalk, could see some action there around 0900h, might be in a declining phase by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Beautiful night in the north east, clear skies and...... bloody nothing happening at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Once the storm front passes southwest tip of Wales and begins to draw in more unstable air over western England, transporting that across the Welsh mountains, it should induce a wave effect that will stimulate uplift on the east side of the Wicklow Mountains. I am timing that for about 0230-0400h. This is when I think the complex will reach its most intense phase.

Now thats a forecast and a half!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Still waiting in Cork City....eeeerily calm, it really is the calme before the storm....hopefully :-P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Should miss the south east corner then? (will tell the folks if so)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,917 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Time to get some sleep. Alarm set for 2:15 am. Hopefully worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

jamesbere wrote: »
    When's it going to hit cork city

MT says 01:00/01:30 to about 03:00/04:00

It's about a hundred miles away with not reliable speed, the rain has started ~~~~~ yawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭squonk

More scattered cells further west will probably pulse in phase with that development. Unstable air located over central Ireland after today's heating will then be energized and the entire complex should have about a 3-6 hour life cycle over land before becoming de-energized by mostly the opposite set of conditions, stable air flowing in, downsloping etc.

Thus I would suggest anyone thinking of staying up to watch this unfold, be patient, it may be closer to 0300-0400h before it gets really active.

Dublin timing is about 0500-0700h. Something like a 50-50 chance that it remains very active past that point. Someone asked about Dundalk, could see some action there around 0900h, might be in a declining phase by then.

Thanks MT. HOw about Clare/Galway Bay? I can see high level cloud building up to the south now but know we'll probably miss what's over Dingle right now. Are we in a more variable zone?

Time to get some sleep. Alarm set for 2:15 am. Hopefully worth it.

Ditto NN folks for now!

Btw our friends down in S Kerry may have lost power hence no word from them.

Some serious action in the South of England too at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭aisling86

If your on Facebook check out my video on Irish weather online from bantry tonight......can't believe it hasn't reached cork city yet

leahyl wrote: »
    Still waiting in Cork City....eeeerily calm, it really is the calme before the storm....hopefully :-P

Dunno. 12:15 now, we're missing something, the western flank has stopped advancing the main front action looks over a hundred miles out at this time?

It is eeeeeeeeerilllly calm, or me just waiting. Tapping finger on keyboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭pad199207

Stunning moon rising in the east now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭NickD

I bet it will just glide over Offaly without a hint of drama, we will get flipping rain and nothing else :(

• Advertisement

aisling86 wrote: »
    If your on Facebook check out my video on Irish weather online from bantry tonight......can't believe it hasn't reached cork city yet

314979.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

All quite in south east Kerry so far.
    Dry and Calm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Some strikes on land in the last few minutes

http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en&page_0=12

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ceolistic

Big thunderstorm over Skibbereen, West Cork right now. Some huge flashes of lightening and really heavy rain pouring down now

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mac_

Things really exploding now in central-southern england...looks like a great night ahead for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

flash of lightning north of Dunmanway, our first. I should have known a few minutes before Trudy the labrador dived into her bombshelter and is now shaking and trying to dig her way through the floor. Time for the thunder jacket:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Looks very active down south England.
    Capture.png

• Advertisement

flash of lightning north of Dunmanway, our first. I should have known a few minutes before Trudy the labrador dived into her bombshelter and is now shaking and trying to dig her way through the floor. Time for the thunder jacket:eek:

Showing on the lightning detectors. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Just had 2 more bangs, the last one to the east over Ballineen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Hiya Boardsies, its been a while.... how ya all keeping? so I believe we have 'Weather'!! yipeeee....

And its great to see that the Cork shield has taken a break and let the storm put on a lightning show. :)

Sitting here wishing I was on the southern coast to catch the lightning ! I haven't seen a good old storm like that in years. The pictures on the thread are spectacular and I'm feeling jealous.

I'm not sure that I'm going to see anything tonight/tomorrow either here in North Leitrim, either because it won't put on a show or it will turn up just when I finally drift off to sleep! lol

Anyway... hope the F5 button makes it through the night for everyone... happy sparks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭acequion

All still beautiful and calm on the western front of Tralee. But have moved all my flowers to shelter.That was my main concern.Am off to bed now,may well be woken by a few crashes later. For those of you storm watching,enjoy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lesmanic

Much hope for Offaly ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Mac_

truly epic now in England, looks like potential worst(or best!) storm in many years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

Has quietened down here on the sheeps head peninsula in West cork the last 10 mins or so.. Simultaneous flashes and thunder before that tho..very heavy rain now

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Can you tell me what sites to look for best storm info? And I'm in Cork city. Will I see anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Latest radar

[IMG][/img]radar18jul14_zpsd8552c84.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Tis fierce quiet here though. Is it just not going to happen

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement