Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going for a full Ps1 Collection

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So what I'm getting is that you didn't level certain characters. To be honest if you only concentrate on certain characters in RPGs and ignore others then you are asking for trouble. It's ok to do it in something like FFVII where all the characters are blank slates but in a game where all characters have different abilities you are going to end up in trouble if you don't level them all up equally.

You might think you are breaking an RPG by concentrating on levelling only specific characters but at the stage you were at your characters would have been the same level as mine because of the levelling cap. Even with hours of grinding you'd it wouldn't change your level significantly.

If you did want to level vanille it would take only a few minutes because the level cap also facilitates levelling weak characters extremely fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

Came across this thread by pure chance and decided to google that Blues Clues game as I couldn't believe a game like that would be so rare!

Just posting this in case it's any use to ya!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blues-Clues-Blues-Big-Musical-PlayStation-complete-/370217270168

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Kealy1994

Thats the NTSC version.
    Its common overe there but thanks :)

@RetrOgamer
    In Final Fantasy 13 you can change your party.
    You can only have three at a time.
    I had Fang,Lightning and Hope
    All of which I had been Grinding with because all three get experience
    when you win a battle.I never singled out leveling one character.I was grinding and leveling all three.
    To defeat that boss you need Vanille,Lightning and Hope.

So I had to swap out Fang for Vanille and Grind because she
    was never leveled up because she was never intended to be in my party.
    She would get killed very often and it got irratating.
    It probally is possibly to win with fang but they need to be maxed(I wasnt but I was like close) and
    you need to fight him time after time because the only time you can beat him
    is when he dosent cast doom( knocks you over and leaves you with half life) which never happened in the 30 plus times
    I fought him and even used the guide.Its extremely hard to beat him with that line up.
    I gave up on the game because it had a 20 hour linear tutorial and because it scrutinsed me
    because I didnt pick a team of three characters the game favored.Hes alot easier to beat with vanille

I mainly play jrpg games Like Dragon Quest,Final Fantasy,Persona/shin megami tensei,Dark souls/demon souls,Eternal Sonata,
    Golden Sun,Pokemon and I level up equally,I even focus on weaker people in my party and grind/back track to level them up to be on par with my other members.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep you were playing the game totally wrong. You need to level every character in that game. Only concentrating on 3 party members is a false economy. By the end of each section a party concentrating on only 3 main characters will be the exact same level as party that concentrated on levelling all characters because of the level cap. The level cap will give low level characters more XP while high level ones get less meaning you will always reach a point were the amount of XP you get from battle is so low that it's not worth grinding.

The only other thing I can think of that you are doing wrong is not status buffing your characters. Keeping your characters buffed with shell, protect and haste is hugely important in FFXIII and you'll get no where in the late game without them.

The official guides are usually crap for RPGs, game faqs is much better. I didn't have too much trouble on that boss, took a long time to take down but once I got the rhythm he went down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

just saw this thread, sweet stuff, so want to to get digimon world and dragoon.

this is a list of games I got today, all black label only down side was no manuals but some great games.

Parasite eve 2 (some going to play the hell out of this)
    Time crisis
    Twisted metal world tour
    Silent hill
    Duke nukem
    Fear effect 2
    Driver
    Bloody roar
    Who want to be a millionaire
    Formula 1 97
    Tekken 2
    Resident evil survivor
    Nightmare creatures
    Soul blade
    Fight force

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

Flaregon wrote: »
    just saw this thread, sweet stuff, so want to to get digimon world and dragoon.

this is a list of games I got today, all black label only down side was no manuals but some great games.

Parasite eve 2 (some going to play the hell out of this)
    Time crisis
    Twisted metal world tour
    Silent hill
    Duke nukem
    Fear effect 2
    Driver
    Bloody roar
    Who want to be a millionaire
    Formula 1 97
    Tekken 2
    Resident evil survivor
    Nightmare creatures
    Soul blade
    Fight force

bought Driver a few years ago for 99p after playing the hell out of Driver 2, Driv3r, Parallel Lines and 76. Used to always play Millionaire too, I remember playing it with someone once and they asked "how do you get the money?" lol

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yep you were playing the game totally wrong. You need to level every character in that game. Only concentrating on 3 party members is a false economy. By the end of each section a party concentrating on only 3 main characters will be the exact same level as party that concentrated on levelling all characters because of the level cap. The level cap will give low level characters more XP while high level ones get less meaning you will always reach a point were the amount of XP you get from battle is so low that it's not worth grinding.

The only other thing I can think of that you are doing wrong is not status buffing your characters. Keeping your characters buffed with shell, protect and haste is hugely important in FFXIII and you'll get no where in the late game without them.

The official guides are usually crap for RPGs, game faqs is much better. I didn't have too much trouble on that boss, took a long time to take down but once I got the rhythm he went down.

Having to level 6 characters is tedious.Thats why its known as being the worst final fantasy game.All the others you just level up 3 characters and thats it and there all in your party.No leveling up characters not in your party.

I did status buff and even had a friend over he beat the game in all japanese before it came out and without a guide and she couldnt get past it and shes the one who sent me the game faq thread and video of people with the same problem and then I knew how to beat him but I didnt want to play it anymore.

We can agree to disagree man and end the ff13 debate,you enjoyed it and got your moneys worth and thats all that matters :),I just didnt like the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Kealy1994 wrote: »
    We can agree to disagree man and end the ff13 debate

Hear, hear.

The only discussion of FF XIII which should exist is one around how **** it is. Truly awful game. Some of the crappest, most annoying characters in a game ever.

Absolutely hated it. One of those games that does damage to JRPGs, reminds me how stupid and unbearable some of them can be.

• Advertisement

Well I'm just saying you must be doing something very wrong if you are having trouble because I beat the game easily with not grinding at all. As mentioned levelling up all 6 characters actually isn't tedious at all because the game balances out everything for you anyway so there's no need for grinding. Even doing it in older FF games is silly because you can be left in situations without your main party and it also had balances where no grinding is required to keep all characters on an even keel. No point blaming the game because you miss understood the basic mechanics.

Dude most of the Final Fantasy games only have 3 characters.
    What am I supossed to expect.

An RPG that takes 20 plus hours to be actually playable
    and that 20 hours is all tutorial.

Having to change out your party to level up all 6 characters...
    Its also bad game mechanics to make the game longer and
    majority of the game is linear.

Having some of the most annoying characters in the whole
    franchise.

is known as being unbalanced and the worst game in the franchise.

If your spamming me and spoiling the thread about this then you are a fanboy.

Im trying to be nice and letting you having your opinion and end this conversation.

Its only a game and your spoiling my thread.

Your trying to say your good at rpgs and Im not.
    That I didn't know what I was doing.
    I was doing something wrong.
    I don't know the game mechanics.
    Im bad at the game.

I will beat you in a speed run of any jrpg and take you off of that high horse.
    Final Fantasy.
    Dragon Quest.
    Dark Souls
    Persona
    Shin megami tensei.

I used all my potions before the fight.
    I only leveled up 3 characters that
    I choose to be in my party.
    I cant even remember it was so long ago ive played
    dozens of rpgs since.

Then the game wouldnt let me choose
    the paradign I needed to win the battle
    because I wanted to have a melee orientated team.
    Without potions I cant win with that team.

While your probally went magic orientated and
    had stacked up on potions.

Dude I would for you to play my save file and lose
    time after time and for me to swap that character out
    grind and beat him and show you how unbalanced the game is.

I was close to sending you about 10 forums discussing how
    magic orientated the game is and its unbalanced if you dont
    follow this.

I played the game in March in 2010 !! its been over three years
    Its only a game,I was trying to respect your opinion that you like it but Ihonestly dont care about it or want to talk about it,I played it years ago and I have been nice about it
    trying to move away from this subject.Next Im gonna be told
    Im not a video game fan for final fantasy 7 not being my favorite.!

Im done this conversation,Now back to ps1 collecting

Ps.I frecking love Legend of Dragoon !!

Seems like you built an unbalanced team rather than the game being unbalanced. That there is kind of not understanding the game. You can't call the game unbalanced when you failed to utilise all the skills it gives you, for example magic and 3 other characters it gives and as I'm saying again doesn't require you to grind to level up.

I was just trying to figure out why you were having trouble with it and maybe help you with it. And I was defending FFXIII because it does do so many things wrong but I think the battle system and music where the only two things the game did really well.

I apologise man if I was going unreasonable in the last post.
    I went a bit overboard.

I haven't played the game in 3 years and I lent it to a friend soon after and never got it back.So it's hard to remember because Its been so long and I've played so many jrpgs since.I can bearly remember how I played it.

I will give it that the music is okay.
    I'm a big fan of serahs theme.

How was I sapposed to know I built an unbalanced team ?
    It is unbalanced towards melee builds

I was beating every boss and enemy with no problem and I felt over powered up til that boss

It's the games job
    To convey to me when I build a balanced team and it Failed to do so and it was too late when it did.

I had two melee,One magic
    Why have 6 characters if I have to
    Use 2 of them no matter what to be balanced.
    I found out at that boss and it wasn't game breaking to fix but I didn't like the game and chose not to fix it and continue further.That is all there is to it.

Now as I said can we end this debate because I really don't want to talk about that game.

Ps.I frecking love Legend of Dragoon !!

This more serious matter still needs to be addressed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Welcome to nerd central, population: 2 ;-)

This more serious matter still needs to be addressed :D

Lol This is another debate for another time

We cool man ? Even after this heated debate ? : )

Maybe one day we can drunkenly play jrpgs and laugh at this one day ! : )

I was joking, I could go on forever about how much I hate Legend of Dragoon, nobody wants that.

I was joking, I could go on forever about how much I hate Legend of Dragoon, nobody wants that.

I Do.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Way to liven up one of the most interminable pursuits ever, collecting every PS game.. ;)

just took picture of 99% of my collection xD.

http://imgur.com/a/vRleG#0

p.s list of what rpgs I'm missing, goal is to collect ever rpg on the ps1/2/3, not as grand as ever ps1 game, but still hard lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

p.s list of what rpgs I'm missing, goal is to collect ever rpg on the ps1/2/3, not as grand as ever ps1 game, but still hard lol.

Same as my goal oddly enough! I think I've just a few obscure-ish pal games left before I'm onto ntsc ones.

Same as my goal oddly enough! I think I've just a few obscure-ish pal games left before I'm onto ntsc ones.

ill get any from any ware lol, region = not a problem, hacked ps2, plays any region.

what u missing anyway ?

Only problem with PAL games when it comes to RPGs is that the PAL slow down tends to kill the pace of them.

When I get money I'll probably get all my RPGs as NTSC and then sell the PAL ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

When I get money I'll probably get all my RPGs as NTSC and then sell the PAL ones.

Or you could do what I did & sell the PAL ones first, to fund the NTSC replacements. After I was finished doing the Snes carts, I had made money so bought a few extra carts.

The worst titles are the harder to get.
    Have you gotten the Gta Double Feature,Im looking for that atm?
    I still havent found blues clues,blues big musical..

Nice Castlevania Chronicles ! : ) You have alot of the good jrpgs on the ps2 there

Nice Castlevania Chronicles ! : ) You have alot of the good jrpgs on the ps2 there

Got it in the rage a few weeks back, just learned the ps3 can play ps1, my ps2 cant for some reason, it hacked to play any region but lost its back wards compatibility lol.

P.s just remember a game to add to my list of must gets.

Dragoon
    Digimon world
    Tombi & 2

"Treasures of the Deep" oh the memory's.

Got it in the rage a few weeks back, just learned the ps3 can play ps1, my ps2 cant for some reason, it hacked to play any region but lost its back wards compatibility lol.

P.s just remember a game to add to my list of must gets.

Dragoon
    Digimon world
    Tombi & 2

"Treasures of the Deep" oh the memory's.

Man Digimon world is my favourite game of all time.It has many flaws and its not very accurate to the anime but it brings back memory's every time I play it : )

How much did you charge you ? The prices are hit or miss there really

• Advertisement

Man Digimon world is my favourite game of all time.It has many flaws and its not very accurate to the anime but it brings back memory's every time I play it : )

How much did you charge you ? The prices are hit or miss there really

Yah dem feels, dam now that I remember must add monster rancher to my list of must gets.
    29.95, I got it to get my vaina on XD.

I go to the book store and game exchange 2, prices are ok but there selection is a lot smaller you should pop in thought they have a few odd ball game there.

The worst titles are the harder to get.
    Have you gotten the Gta Double Feature,Im looking for that atm?
    I still havent found blues clues,blues big musical..

Ah no, my goal was to collect playstation jrpgs like Flaregon, not the whole ps1 collection!

Always wondered about the idea of a full collection, I think dreamcast is meant to be the easiest one to do. Have you the total amount of pal playstation releases? Do you have any stipulations regarding conditions of the games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Ah no, my goal was to collect playstation jrpgs like Flaregon, not the whole ps1 collection!

Always wondered about the idea of a full collection, I think dreamcast is meant to be the easiest one to do. Have you the total amount of pal playstation releases? Do you have any stipulations regarding conditions of the games?

Virtual Boy not be quicker?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Virtual Boy not be quicker?

Fair enough, decent point.

Easiest may not be the quickest though. Relative to cost, ability to find in the wild and whatnot. Everything virtual boy is more than likely going to come from eBay at market value, while you could pick up dreamcast lots on adverts etc. There's only about 10 or so expensive titles and none of them are that much. Priciest game is probably less than 3 figures still.

Neo Geo Pocket is by far the easiest full collection you can get. The rarest games won't set you back more than 80 euros. Even the virtual boy has a few games that will set you back more than a grand.

Neo Geo Pocket is by far the easiest full collection you can get. The rarest games won't set you back more than 80 euros. Even the virtual boy has a few games that will set you back more than a grand.

Presuming that's referencing unboxed. Uk versions of Evolution and pocket reversi go for 150+. If you can find anyone selling them in the first place that is.

Yah dem feels, dam now that I remember must add monster rancher to my list of must gets.
    29.95, I got it to get my vaina on XD.

I go to the book store and game exchange 2, prices are ok but there selection is a lot smaller you should pop in thought they have a few odd ball game there.

I know the old guy very well in the shop in talbot street.
    I'm probably his most frequent and
    Hated customer.

He won't pay more than a euro or two or less a game.Values it by amazon and puts a 10-20 price mark on it.

He under values store credit and I brought him in a few stuff and he told me he wouldn't be able to sell it but if he did he'd throw me a game then he sold it within a week and never mentioned it.

I usually go in and make offers
    On what I want Like his sega mega drive games
    Are 10-15
    I asked would he do 3 for 20
    He said he'd do 3 for 25
    I asked would he do 4 for 30
    So I picked up
    Ghouls and ghosts
    World of illusion
    Castle of illusion
    Street fighter 2

So I'd end up paying half of what eBay charges.But he probably paid 4-8 euro for them.

Me and my friend used to track down
    People selling their old games or go into markets/charity shops.

We used to keep the ones we want,Sell/trade.the good ones we didn't and give him the bad ones..To use as credit and he'd make the prices higher so we'd end up paying retail and giving it to him for free.So I start haggling and making offers.

He used to recheck the prices of the games to make sure he didnt underprice and he would refuse to sell if he did depending on the customer.

So don't feel bad about making offers
    Because he does the same with trade ins.
    When you walk in haggle and bundle stuff and make him offers.

I'm going in Thursday to game hunt send me a pm if you want to tag along : ) pm me if your interested

Master of the Universe

Presuming that's referencing unboxed. Uk versions of Evolution and pocket reversi go for 150+. If you can find anyone selling them in the first place that is.

Indeed. If you're collecting NGP unboxed games you're doing it wrong. They've by far one of the nicest game boxes, ever.

If we're talking PAL (as it's the only way to go!) then Evolution, Pocket Reversi, Coolboarders and Faselei! will all cost you a decent sum.

Still one of the easier sets to put together alright.

ngage?
    Regards Virtual Boy, I was only thinking money no cost that it would be easiest.

Wait,wait and wait! Surely the WiiU would be the easiest.

• Advertisement

I know the old guy very well in the shop in talbot street.
    I'm probably his most frequent and
    Hated customer.

He won't pay more than a euro or two or less a game.Values it by amazon and puts a 10-20 price mark on it.

He under values store credit and I brought him in a few stuff and he told me he wouldn't be able to sell it but if he did he'd throw me a game then he sold it within a week and never mentioned it.

I usually go in and make offers
    On what I want Like his sega mega drive games
    Are 10-15
    I asked would he do 3 for 20
    He said he'd do 3 for 25
    I asked would he do 4 for 30
    So I picked up
    Ghouls and ghosts
    World of illusion
    Castle of illusion
    Street fighter 2

So I'd end up paying half of what eBay charges.But he probably paid 4-8 euro for them.

Me and my friend used to track down
    People selling their old games or go into markets/charity shops.

We used to keep the ones we want,Sell/trade.the good ones we didn't and give him the bad ones..To use as credit and he'd make the prices higher so we'd end up paying retail and giving it to him for free.So I start haggling and making offers.

He used to recheck the prices of the games to make sure he didnt underprice and he would refuse to sell if he did depending on the customer.

So don't feel bad about making offers
    Because he does the same with trade ins.
    When you walk in haggle and bundle stuff and make him offers.

I'm going in Thursday to game hunt send me a pm if you want to tag along : ) pm me if your interested

Lol there retarded/mean there, tryed to trade in 10 games there to get rule of rose, they offered me a 10er for 3 and nutting for the rest said they give 1/3 there value, they were selling them there for 15-20 each told them to beep off 15e would be 33%, another time I went in and picked 8-10, games total was 168,asked for there best price, they said they would do 160, walked away...could of done s 10er a pop and made 50-70 instead of losing out on the sale.

o1s1n wrote: »

You know I bet there's a few copies of that on the tops shelves of Xtravision storage shelves all over the country.
    When I worked there, loads of that stuff was gathering dust in most shops. If only I knew then what I know now, eh?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    You know I bet there's a few copies of that on the tops shelves of Xtravision storage shelves all over the country.
    When I worked there, loads of that stuff was gathering dust in most shops. If only I knew then what I know now, eh?

get a job there for a week, hunt them down on your breaks, then buy em xD, profit xD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I will second Retro's choice as you can get most handy enough, clamshells are more expensive but packaging is nicer. Cotton, Evolution, GalFighters aren't cheap but Pocket Reversi can go for silly money for what it is.

Im gonna give you all a tip.Buy that game and watch Nintendo Ds game off Club Nintendo..Imagine how hard it will
    be get in 10 years if anyone wants a fullset..It will be a very valuable game

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Im gonna give you all a tip.Buy that game and watch Nintendo Ds game off Club Nintendo..Imagine how hard it will
    be get in 10 years if anyone wants a fullset..It will be a very valuable game

I was happier to have bought the Game & Watch from Club Nintendo!

Oddly though they don't seem to be regarded as rare, fetching reasonable prices online, as do the G&W DS collections.

Got it on ebay for about a tenner. It might be the US version but it's not rare at all.

Got it on ebay for about a tenner. It might be the US version but it's not rare at all.

It's not expensive you mean.Its probably the lowest printed Nintendo Ds game since its a club Nintendo exclusive.

In 5-10 years prices will shoot up when
    It's no longer available on club Nintendo

Flinstones 2,Clayfighter Sculptors Cut etc were probably inexpensive in their day.Trust me on this

Master of the Universe

Region variation though? Maybe the PAL version will be desirable?

Simple variations can make you a lot of money.

Worth about a tenner

genesis-world-championship-soccer-2_front.jpg

Worth €700-€1000

mdu2z023.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement