Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,396 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Why are you acting shocked and appalled and clutching the pearl necklace when ppl state the obvious

Huge amounts of the country have no time nor respect for the Dublin “success” due to the inherent and crazy advantages Dublin has

This is before we get to the financial doping madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Fann Linn wrote: »
    We'll take that as gospel so. You and your mates full of drink.
    Sound.

Like the derry footballer spiel? Sure if he said it we can dismiss all logic and reason...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Why are you acting shocked and appalled and clutching the pearl necklace when ppl state the obvious

Huge amounts of the country have no time nor respect for the Dublin “success” due to the inherent and crazy advantages Dublin has

Absolutely. At least PSG and Celtic play away from home half the time! And don't play the major cup finals on their home ground! :) Which makes the GAA football AI probably more farcical than these leagues!

I'm afraid as long as Dublin benefit from the advantages, the bigger and bolder the asterix. And you can't force people to think otherwise. People will and have made up their own minds about it.

Eamon Sweeney had a brilliant article on it in the Sunday Independent yesterday, highlighting for example how Roscommon are the only county who will have to play two games away from home in the Super8s. Some reward for winning Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,286 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

ArielAtom wrote: »
    I've seen it all now. Aslan at half time are imfluencing the Dublin team. Give me a break FFS. I'ts getting rediculous some of the arguments being put forward. You could add in that if you are not at least a 3rd generation Dub you have to line out for your fathers or mothers county, or that if you don't live in the Dublin postal districts you have to line out for the nearest neighbouring county.

We could get the Pines Showband to tour again and do a gig when Mayo are playing in Croke Park to give them a helping hand:D

https://www.irish-showbands.com/images/reynolds-p/pines1-rfx.htm

Anyone any other suggestions for half-time acts for Mayo?

It is becoming laughable when people are claiming that Aslan help Dublin win All-Irelands. Next thing, they will be saying that the Dublin season ticket holders get better seats in the Cusack Stand and that is an unfair advantage.

Dublin have real advantages over other teams - Jim Gavin and Stephen Cluxton being the biggest two.

Absolutely. At least PSG and Celtic play away from home half the time! And don't play the major cup finals on their home ground! :) Which makes the GAA football AI probably more farcical than these leagues!

I'm afraid as long as Dublin benefit from the advantages, the bigger and bolder the asterix. And you can't force people to think otherwise. They will and have made up their own minds about it.

Agreed. We have long sniggered at the state of scottish football, but our own is actually worse. How the hell have we ended up at that point?

I have often wondered what a neutral observer would say about gaa if it was all put in front of them.

• Advertisement

Eamon Sweeney had a brilliant article on it in the Sunday Independent just gone, highlighting for example how Roscommon are the only county who will have to play two games away from home in the Super8s. Some reward for winning Connacht.

As a Dublin supporter I already supported the answer put forward by Tomas O'Se on this.
    blanch152 wrote: »
    Tomas O'Se made an interesting point about the Super 8s tonight. Said that the provincial winners should not have to play away. That would mean two home games and one neutral where they play the other provincial winners.

Unfortunately, it just got an abusive response.
    RoyalCelt wrote: »
    That's a load of f*cking w*nk. The beauty of the super 8's is every team gets a home and away match. It's a huge reward for the smaller counties to qualify and get a big team to their home town.

I never in my life thought I'd see kerry play meath in navan for a big match. Easy for Dublin or Kerry people to push that selfish idea given they walk their province almost every year.

blanch152 wrote: »
    As a Dublin supporter I already supported the answer put forward by Tomas O'Se on this.

Unfortunately, it just got an abusive response.

I'm leaning towards RoyalCelts answer to be honest. Its good to bring the game around the country.

There are too many occasion junkies following the GAA who just want to see their team in Croke Park no matter if they get hammered. And the GAA as always chasing the money cater to these people too much. And its now established that a lot of Dublin "fans" couldn't be arsed to show up at Croker for anything less than an AI final.

My view is the Dublin v Roscommon game should be at a neutral venue (Croker is not neutral before some Dub says it is). Its not helpful to Dublin's image among the neutral fans to be playing the vast majority of their games at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Fann Linn wrote: »
    They'd want to sort Munster out first. 1992 was the last time anyone outside of the big 2 won anything.
    All the counties bar Kerry have done Well in the Hurling . The Munster Hurling championship is competitive and signs on it , that it is a Great Competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

One thing I would love to see changed is the over usage of Croke Park. In my view have only 4 games in Croke Park in the football championship- Leinster final , both AI semis and obviously AI final. I wouldn’t hve any super 8s at Croker. Leinster semis should be neutral also. Take the FA cup for example- only used for semis and final. It’s not used throughout the whole competition

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    One thing I would love to see changed is the over usage of Croke Park. In my view have only 4 games in Croke Park in the football championship- Leinster final , both AI semis and obviously AI final. I wouldn’t hve any super 8s at Croker. Leinster semis should be neutral also. Take the FA cup for example- only used for semis and final. It’s not used throughout the whole competition

Agreed. Plus town down the country would relish getting occasions like that. They just seem like an annoyance in dublin.
    The gaa need to move away from modelling the game on financial gain. They arent exactly living hand to mouth and croke park is paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Have been reading this and am "delurking" to ask a question (or two) as an outsider to the GAA...

Why didn't GAA decide to build main stadium outside Dublin back when they must have been making decisions and plans about redevelopment/expansion in 80s/90s? God knows they get lots of (too much...) support off government and I'm sure could have built a modern 70-80 k seater stadium somewhere else.

There was a sort of Bertie/Dublin evil conspiracy theory about it put forward as a "well known fact" earlier in the thread but I am doubtful without a bit of evidence. Are there any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

gaffer91 wrote: »
    Christ. As has been pointed out 100 times already- it's not just the fact they're winning, it's the fact they're doing it from a completely advantaged position.
    but Dublin has always had these advantages in terms of numbers, population and they just couldn't do anything with them for years.
    Even if Dublin weren't winning every year the advantages should still be addressed. It's also why the "what about Kilkenny" arguments are garbage.
    like Dublin having substantially more people living in the county so they get substantially more in development funding....
    Also, Dublin's GAA membership is proportionally much smaller than many other counties and only slightly larger than Cork's, a county half its size population wise
    well it does have more non nationals proportionally than others who should be targeted by games development officers...
    Really the only bitter people are people from Dublin who are annoyed that people rightfully don't respect this financially doped team's achievements.
    no. The bitterness is non dubs who refuse to say anything bar this dub team is essentially cheating because of funding issues....
    And I'm not a Dub btw.....
    There is much funding other than games development that is massively skewed towards Dublin. There is no reason Dublin should be unfairly favoured over every other county. Money spent on kids ultimately does end up benefiting the GAA as a whole in a particular county.
    yes kids games development benefits GAA as a whole so this shouldn't be considered a bad thing....
    The "real issue" is that Dublin have unfair advantages that need to be addressed.
    It's shocking. They just keep churning out the same nonsense over and over again. It's already been addressed so many times.
    same can be for those who will only ever criticise and hammer dubs no matter what happens.
    The Dublin team are basically viewed like Lance Armstrong to non- Dubs, just with financial doping and other things rather than performance enhancing drug use. Great players but zero respect for their achievements. If anything they should be embarrassed they haven't won more All Irelands given how heavily skewed everything is in their favour.
    that is a ridiculous argument and in no way have the dubs cheated in any form and the only embarrassment should be for you for such a terrible argument trying to imply Dublin have cheated others out of titles through misuse.
    Glad you see funding needs to be addressed. Dublin will have to be completely underfunded relative to other counties for years to come to make up for their complete overfunding over the last 15 years for there to be even some hope of equality. And the sponsorship money should be shared.
    we are talking about elite level sport not bloody under 12s where everything has to be shared. By all means put limits as max counties can receive but not pooling everything to share it simply because some counties cant or haven't managed to do a good job recently.

huge parts of country is a load of rubbish. If that was anywhere near true there would have been boycotts/calls for boycotts which hasn't happened...

I'm afraid as long as Dublin benefit from the advantages, the bigger and bolder the asterix. And you can't force people to think otherwise. People will and have made up their own minds about it.

Eamon Sweeney had a brilliant article on it in the Sunday Independent yesterday, highlighting for example how Roscommon are the only county who will have to play two games away from home in the Super8s. Some reward for winning Connacht.
    Dublin shouldn't be playing a second game in croke park in super8s. And there wont be an asterix at all
    Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that level. Why not use your best stadium unnecessarily. Croke park should be a potential venue for so many more players than the elite who can reach the very top end of competitions
    fly_agaric wrote: »
    Have been reading this and am "delurking" to ask a question (or two) as an outsider to the GAA...

Why didn't GAA decide to build main stadium outside Dublin back when they must have been making decisions and plans about redevelopment/expansion in 80s/90s? God knows they get lots of (too much...) support off government and I'm sure could have built a modern 70-80 k seater stadium somewhere else.

There was a sort of Bertie/Dublin evil conspiracy theory about it put forward as a "well known fact" earlier in the thread but I am doubtful without a bit of evidence. Are there any other ideas?
    money. Makes sense to have national stadium in capital. Where would have been better location for national stadium then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

like Dublin having substantially more people living in the county so they get substantially more in development funding....

well it does have more non nationals proportionally than others who should be targeted by games development officers...

Well maybe they need to have their "strategy" reviewed then as they are failing miserably to get any non nationals into the game. Roscommon, Westmeath and even Leitrim have more non nationals playing for them than the mighty cultural melting pot that is Dublin.

threeball wrote: »
    Well maybe they need to have their "strategy" reviewed then as they are failing miserably to get any non nationals into the game. Roscommon, Westmeath and even Leitrim have more non nationals playing for them than the mighty cultural melting pot that is Dublin.

Again, the misplaced focus on the inter-county team. There are hundreds of non-nationals playing the game at under-age level. There is a huge challenge in keeping them as they grow older as soccer has a deep pull. However, even though they don't turn out at inter-county, the money spent at GDO level in getting kids to play is money well spent on the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

There's a little bit of hype for Dublin football this year with the chance to make history. Still only getting 30k vs Cork, 45k vs Meath, 30k vs Kildare and 10k vs Louth. You'd imagine Roscommon would be under 30k Dubs and under 10k in Omagh. The semi depends on who they play but I'd guess 40k Dubs will go and again in final the same.

But what happens next year when they are going for the 6? No record to be broken, the hype will be at the lowest point ever for the GAA. They're lucky the hurling is the opposite.

If they don't play to adulthood and if they don't support Dublin or other teams in Croke Park then its money wasted which other counties could do with.

Anytime I've been in Croker when the Dubs are playing you'd struggle to see a non national face.

They just aren't participating at a serious level save on the fringes at underage level.

And throwing more millions at it won't help. There's little or no interest in the non national community in Dublin football.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If they don't play to adulthood and if they don't support Dublin or other teams in Croke Park then its money wasted which other counties could do with.

Anytime I've been in Croker when the Dubs are playing you'd struggle to see a non national face.

They just aren't participating at a serious level save on the fringes at underage level.

And throwing more millions at it won't help. There's little or no interest in the non national community in Dublin football.

Non national face? Does it have to brown or yellow for you to be satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

but Dublin has always had these advantages in terms of numbers, population and they just couldn't do anything with them for years.

Just because they failed to take full advantage of it for years doesn't mean it wasn't and isn't an advantage. If a team was given 10 extra points in the Premier League every year, but failed to win, would you say they weren't unfairly advantaged?

Anyway, their population is proportionally larger than other counties than in previous decades.

But it's not proportional. Relative to either members or population. If you actually bothered to read the thread you would have realised this. It's pointed out every couple of pages.

And they've completely failed at getting these people to play the game by all accounts.
    no. The bitterness is non dubs who refuse to say anything bar this dub team is essentially cheating because of funding issues....
    And I'm not a Dub btw.....

Really? Then your brown nosing is even more pathetic.

yes kids games development benefits GAA as a whole so this shouldn't be considered a bad thing....

Why should it disproportionately benefit kids in Dublin relative to every other county.
    same can be for those who will only ever criticise and hammer dubs no matter what happens.

No it couldn't. Our criticisms are grounded in reality and legitimate complaints.

that is a ridiculous argument and in no way have the dubs cheated in any form and the only embarrassment should be for you for such a terrible argument trying to imply Dublin have cheated others out of titles through misuse.

Jesus Christ. Do you think it's fair that one county has a population cohort multiples of every other one, has access to funds many times more than every other county and plays basically all their games, including all consequential ones at home?

Before you say "well there's competition from other sports in Dublin"- This is true in literally every other county as well.
    we are talking about elite level sport not bloody under 12s where everything has to be shared. By all means put limits as max counties can receive but not pooling everything to share it simply because some counties cant or haven't managed to do a good job recently.

It's an amateur sport and an amateur organisation. The aim should be to benefit all members. The only "elite" team is Dublin anyway, because they have so many advantages over everyone else. Whose fans then get annoyed that we take their victories over actual amateurs with a massive pinch of salt.

Once again, all the garbage you've just spouted has already been addressed many times by other people in the course of this thread. It's often said this thread is just going around in circles- this is the fault of posters like you, who keep churning out the same cliches over and over and over.

Rather than just blindly reposting this tripe again in a slightly different manner, try to actually have a read and process some of the information. When coming up with a "rebuttal", why not use the search function and see if it has already been discussed? I think you'll find the results very illuminating.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

blinding wrote: »
    All the counties bar Kerry have done Well in the Hurling . The Munster Hurling championship is competitive and signs on it , that it is a Great Competition.

Is it really? The Munster champions have gone on to win a solitary 1 AI (Tipp in 2016) in the last 14 years... Leinster champions have won 8 in the same period.

Also both have had the same amount of different winners in the last 10 years (4 each).

There’s also been 4 all Leinster finals since the back door was introduced in 98 and only 1 all Munster one.

If only every county had a Taoiseach like this.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-football/3191859/bertie-ahern-government-grants-saved-dublin-gaa/

The b0llix took taxpayers money and diverted it to Dublin GAA. As dodgy a deal as he ever did. Dublin had won an AI just 7 years before btw.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    Non national face? Does it have to brown or yellow for you to be satisfied.

It can be an accent. When was the last time you stood beside someone on the Hill who is non Irish?

I wouldn't say its just a Dublin issue by the way. But Dublin did get millions to supposedly increase participation. And yet non Irish are woefully under represented on Dublin IC teams.

It can be an accent. When was the last time you stood beside someone on the Hill who is non Irish?

I wouldn't say its just a Dublin issue by the way. But Dublin did get millions to supposedly increase participation. And yet non Irish are woefully under represented on Dublin IC teams.

I can’t believe this has to be said but not having non nationals on the IC teams doesn’t mean there aren’t kids playing,
    I see plenty of kids that aren’t white playing every weekend and presumably there are white kids playing too that aren’t Irish or are the kids of foreign nationals. Unless someone has any stats on this then I would rate all this anecdotal evidence as a waste of everyone’s time.
    GAA will always be a tougher sell to foreigners as their parents will have limited or probably no exposure to the games before getting here. I’d imagine school is the best place to expose them as they are a captive audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

money. Makes sense to have national stadium in capital. Where would have been better location for national stadium then?

I don't know. Dublin makes sense to me too.
    Maybe they could have moved to a green field site out of city centre as I'm sure the Croke park site would be very valuable and they'd also have had less issues with residents/planning etc.

To me the anger with Croke park as "Dublin's 2nd home stadium" is a post-fact issue generated by recent success of Dublin intercounty footballers.
    It's an advantage but didn't raise its head as a problem back when GAA was very much a minority/declining sport and Dublin were just middling/good on their year in football (the rightful/natural state of things which has since been upset going by the sentiment in the thread!).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Perhaps they're just not good enough.
    Perhaps they can't be arsed.
    Perhaps they're too busy playing chess or soccer.

I can’t believe this has to be said but not having non nationals on the IC teams doesn’t mean there aren’t kids playing,
    I see plenty of kids that aren’t white playing every weekend and presumably there are white kids playing too that aren’t Irish or are the kids of foreign nationals. Unless someone has any stats on this then I would rate all this anecdotal evidence as a waste of everyone’s time.
    GAA will always be a tougher sell to foreigners as their parents will have limited or probably no exposure to the games before getting here. I’d imagine school is the best place to expose them as they are a captive audience.

They play down the country too. No need for millions to be pumped in to get them out either. Ye Dubs are so insulated from the rest of the country you haven't a clue how it works. Ye're like the yanks with their myopic world view, everything is bigger and better in america and everyone wants to live here.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭GalwayMark

If only every county had a Taoiseach like this.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-football/3191859/bertie-ahern-government-grants-saved-dublin-gaa/

The b0llix took taxpayers money and diverted it to Dublin GAA. As dodgy a deal as he ever did. Dublin had won an AI just 7 years before btw.

Maria Baileys da who passed away recently was that guy surprise surprise no wonder the south Dublin outfits are flush with money and did u see recently they hired the ex-IRFU head of sport science how can other counties compete on level playing field anyone?

They play down the country too. No need for millions to be pumped in to get them out either. Ye Dubs are so insulated from the rest of the country you haven't a clue how it works. Ye're like the yanks with their myopic world view, everything is bigger and better in america and everyone wants to live here.

Well thanks for that but at no point in my post did I suggest they didn’t. In fact I mentioned no county at all and was making a general point. Your free of course to imagine what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,396 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

They have hired the IRFU head of sport science??

What the hell??

Someone like that should be working for GAA as a whole -with a Focus on the underperforming counties- and not adding to the already crazy advantages that Dublin revel in.

Well thanks for that but at no point in my post did I suggest they didn’t. In fact I mentioned no county at all and was making a general point. Your free of course to imagine what I meant.

You said it was a tougher sell for foreign nationals and implied that's why the money was needed. I pointed out that the same issue exists in rural areas and the evidence is they're doing a better job of it as some are making it through to intercounty without the massive funding which Dublin seems to need to do a much worse job. If this is where the money is really going then it goes to show that its completely ineffective and this masterplan thats lauded so much doesn't really work.

The only place the money trail leads to is the step up from minor to senior. Dublin are generally no-where to be found at underage bar the odd time popping up in a leinster final or all ireland semi. However they miraculously are extremely successful at u21 (now u20) over the last decade and are again in the mix this year. The very age where money and sports science combine to propel athletes to another level when compared to athletes with a much lower level of funding. This creates the constant conveyor belt that dublin has generated since funding began. Athletes with the same conditioning as a seasoned IC player appear into the team seemlessly with no period of transition. Ordinary players look at their ease while the more gifted are untouchable.

• Advertisement

You said it was a tougher sell for foreign nationals and implied that's why the money was needed. I pointed out that the same issue exists in rural areas and the evidence is they're doing a better job of it as some are making it through to intercounty without the massive funding which Dublin seems to need to do a much worse job. If this is where the money is really going then it goes to show that its completely ineffective and this masterplan thats lauded so much doesn't really work.

The only place the money trail leads to is the step up from minor to senior. Dublin are generally no-where to be found at underage bar the odd time popping up in a leinster final or all ireland semi. However they miraculously are extremely successful at u21 (now u20) over the last decade and are again in the mix this year. The very age where money and sports science combine to propel athletes to another level when compared to athletes with a much lower level of funding. This creates the constant conveyor belt that dublin has generated since funding began. Athletes with the same conditioning as a seasoned IC player appear into the team seemlessly with no period of transition. Ordinary players look at their ease while the more gifted are untouchable.

I implied nothing, you imagined what you wanted. I never mentioned money I was replying to a post about the amount of foreign nationals playing.

Advertisement