Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Speaking of tyres, I removed the security nuts from all the wheels so I can take the car down for new tyres tomorrow after work. Cannot wait to drive with those quiet Goodyears, my current tyres are fairly loud and not the best in the wet.

Hopefully they last me a decent while too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I woulda gone for some Eagle F1s myself, impossible to find in a staggered format. :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Hal1 wrote: »
    I changed a pair of shocks on the aul lads car.

Time taken was approx 3 hours due to difficulties with the top nut. When refitting I noticed a leaky engine mount so that's a job for another day.

The new shiny monroe will look equally as tired once it hits the dirty Irish roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I'm not that ocd about them. They'll get a blast of the washer so that's good enough...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just completed my e46 service. Always handy enough, suck out the oil through the dip stick using a hand pump. Takes an age! I would have had it up on jacks and emptied in the time it took me to suck it out. But sure it's done now!

Used my super amazing BMW brand oil filter :rolleyes:. I think I preferred the one I had last year already! Time for a spin I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I got one of those sealey oil extractors but haven't used it for an oil change yet. The plan was to use it in the winter months when it's too cold to lie on your arse.

You're all so lazy here with fancy oil extractor kits :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Merc oil change, no pics as I was doing a speed run... Hadn't time to be taking pics :eek:

It's a 4 minute job anyway, no need to jack it up as you can reach down and get the bung through the bay, pan fits under. Oil was grand coming out of it! :eek:

Filter is at the top and has an auto release to drain excess oil

Bung on, filter + O rings back on and fill with 6.5 litres of 5w40 full synth (would love to splash out on 0w40, maybe next time)

Interval is 12k miles, I've shortened it to 10k. Next oil change at 200k on the clock :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Any good welders around Cork?

Sorted some irritating issues with the Z :)

Look at this...
    27035374195_72d0a619e4_k.jpg

And this mess...
    26761163990_88dd9a3e2c_k.jpg

Oh dear....
    26429607774_cef41d6eb3_k.jpg

But eventually, after much rewiring, I gave this lot the bin
    26940963832_2ab19fef42_k.jpg

Battery in and fired up first turn :)

Next was the windscreen washer/wiper/climate pod
    27035343655_4bcc1d08ca_k.jpg

New one in. Almost....
    27001769456_8fac6eab9c_k.jpg

Complete
    27035285335_dcac0cda2c_k.jpg

Lastly was a sticking full beam switch. Shroud off, 2 screws and a plug
    26431502843_98dc7ce2b8_k.jpg

Replaced with a UK spec switch... I'll sort that later...
    26429528754_1ae9534234_k.jpg

Horay! Now I just need to sort out the cargo area, replace the wood in the back in due time and put the interior back to fully sort the inside :)

Lots more to do with this car yet ;)

• Advertisement

Gotta love aftermarket car alarm installs. I removed the aftermarket alarm on my Yaris when I bought it. The lazy installer didn't even bother to crimp/solder the connections and just twisted wires together :pac:

shietpilot wrote: »
    Gotta love aftermarket car alarm installs. I removed the aftermarket alarm on my Yaris when I bought it. The lazy installer didn't even bother to crimp/solder the connections and just twisted wires together :pac:

I get great pleasure in removing aftermarket alarms/phone kits and smashing them into sh*te.

I have yet to see an install that isn't bolloxed up/half arsed

I get great pleasure in removing aftermarket alarms/phone kits and smashing them into sh*te.

Ah yes, the good old parrot kits. Removed one of those too from the XC90, bodge install too. I wonder how much these installs cost anyway, I wouldn't be keen on running some bodge like that on my car. Fire hazard usually :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Rear hubs on the focus were chronic bad with rust, so I took the dirty look off them along with some other small bits, turned out quite well in the end. Gave some TLC to the wheels also. Thought the hubs were dry, went for a spin, and the paint got flung all over the wheels :( Had to take them off and clean them again. Love the satisfaction when you do these little DIY jobs :)

jhzskn.png

dvt66a.png

1r9fth.png

smredt.png

33kydfn.png

Looking good! Should have went for ricer red :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

shietpilot wrote:
    Looking good! Should have went for ricer red

Was a toss up between red, yellow, or black. I decided to retain any bit of dignity I had left!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1, or precious bloody few. And that includes some "big name" installs BTW. I can only think of two chaps in Dublin who do a good job. Soldering for a start. The last time I got an "emergency" alarm fitted(between the old one dying and the new one arriving) it was a similar state to yours and just as easily bypassed. The alarm was cheap, but the install was nasty. and the crowd came recommended by people in the trade.

Then again you'd be well advised to put in a decent install as soon as with a nice car like yours. Plus you can do the work yourself so will know it's done right.
    Was a toss up between red, yellow, or black. I decided to retain any bit of dignity I had left!
    Black is goooood.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Small aesthetic job, replaced the number plates (€18 for a pair). The pic doesn't really show but the old ones had rust stains from the screws and were faded and crap looking.

I replaced as much of the power steering fluid as I could get out the easy way as well (as per a few you tube vids, turn wheel to lock a few times with engine off with the reservoir upside down). Got a good bit out and it seemed fairly dirty. I had the PS pump replaced a few years ago when the old one died, don't need that expense again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Did you notice any difference when you changed the fluid? My steering feels a bit on the heavy side and I'm wondering would a change of fluid do anything for it.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

pablo128 wrote: »
    Did you notice any difference when you changed the fluid? My steering feels a bit on the heavy side and I'm wondering would a change of fluid do anything for it.

Not in the feel of it to be honest, but the pump is quieter than before.

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »

Check your tyre pressures

Still getting this S-Type NCT ready.

So far:

Two near rear tyres
    Oil and oil filter change
    Two rear ABS sensors changed
    Interior taken apart and scrubbed
    Dipstick repaired
    New wipers and headlight bulb on order

Next it was to sort the rear doors, which wouldn't open from the outside, an NCT fail:

Both door cards off and an examination of the outside handle linkage showed it had just bound up. Some constant working of the handle and liberal amounts of lithium grease and they're good as new! They actually open better now than the front doors.

2_zps1rpxxvzu.jpg~original

I also greased up the hinges as they sounded like rusty gates.

1_zpsezee2yng.jpg~original

Then on to the headlight lenses, a dramatic improvement:

3_zpskhcorwzr.jpg~original

Ideally you should start with a heavier sand paper than I did (like 800 grit), but I only had 1500 and 2000 to hand. This is after a 1500 wet sand (on the right side only):

4_zpstvhovyks.jpg~original

Then 2000:

5_zpssudbwcsy.jpg~original

Then time to whip out the DA polisher, with an old used Menzerna pad and some cheap compound:

8_zpszmzxlt3l.jpg~original

6_zps1kugrbfm.jpg~original

Right side done:

7_zpspwmksakp.jpg~original

9_zpsabr76tz2.jpg~original

All done:

10_zpsk3pojsxg.jpg~original

Nice little project you got going on there :) They're a very nice car actually, I've been in a 3.0 V6 and it drove really good. I'm not a big fan of the front end though as I think it looks a bit of a crap copy of the Rover 75 front end.

I have to say with a mesh grill, it would really look the business, but there really is no getting away from the old man look. But i'm not arsed spending any more money than I have to on something that will rarely be driven.

Even if the NCT passes the brakes, they'll be on the cards for a change too as the discs have a hell of a ridge on them. €190 for new discs and pads all round though, which isn't bad.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Then again you'd be well advised to put in a decent install as soon as with a nice car like yours. Plus you can do the work yourself so will know it's done right.

Despite crap weather, a manual kill switch was fitted :) but I'm not revealing where on the car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] I'm not revealing where on the car ;)

Obviously. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Despite crap weather, a manual kill switch was fitted :) but I'm not revealing where on the car ;)
    Good call. :) Japanese cars of that era need extra security like a fish needs water.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Hal1 wrote: »
    I got one of those sealey oil extractors but haven't used it for an oil change yet. The plan was to use it in the winter months when it's too cold to lie on your arse.

I got one a while back, great piece of kit and makes changing the oil in the car a doddle. But when I changed to a Passat they have something at the bottom of the dipstick to prevent you from sucking out the oil. So the father took it off me to service his car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

Yeah I got a Sealey one too, could only get about 3 quarters of the oil out so wasn't much use. BMW 730d (E65)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Great work on those headlights. Huge improvement. :)

Advertisement