Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to roll out 1Gb/s FTTH to 66 towns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

swoofer wrote: »
    kerbdog you have me perplexed. black goes to termination point. the green is optical out, I dont know why green connecetor on left is that big and dont care, its a metre long cable so its wrapped round box on right, then a lan cable to router. Its bb only, no phone.

If they used white trunking you would not see the black cable. And the box can be placed various ways to avoid a 90 degree angle. Say they brought cable straight down from roof with external ducting it would go straight into box but my ducting was already in situ so cable comes inside middle of wall and then loops over to point. they left a big loop in loft as well.

And it works.

I have no doubt that it works but if your someone like me to cares about it being robust in the future, then I wouldn't be happy with it.

The box (ODP) on the left that you have, the lead (yellow single mode fiber and APC/SC connector, its a pigtail spliced to the incoming fiber) which connects to the coupler and then goes to the ONT. That lead should be secured within the ODP and the coupler secured to that box. Keeps it all contained/secured.
    Risk is, if you want to move the ODP and maybe snag & break the pigtail coming out of the ODP, you would need it re-spliced.
    Again, it will work just fine - but always a risk of damage. Few fiber professionals would leave an install job like that.

Put it this way, it wouldn't be left like that in my work place :)

I await for about 2018/2020 to when I might have the service in my area! I'm stoked that yea have it install btw, how goes it so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭swoofer

That's a good point. I had a good look just now and that connector on the left does wobble about the one on the right is much firmer. But I am not touching anything for the time being. I tried to ring the K&N guy but no answer.

My only thought is they need it that way for testing. He did plug ipad in at that end to get diagnostic readings. They get a 1db margin between house and dpd, mine read 0.6db. Can I assume that both ends are just the normal optical connection and if needs be I could unplug them and just plug back in as normal?

However, these are now hidden behind a small shredder and will never again be moved.

If I get an answer I will report back. Those guys did such a good job running that fibre cable into my office I'll forgive them for using that method.

As for performance, not had a real chance to test yet. The upload seems to be settling at 65mb and down is 945mb but this is with eir servers. Some sites are very fast but most are not much better than my 38mb. The macbook pro shows 167mb on 5ghz, which surprised me as its 5 years old but has an ssd and 8gb memory.

I have the option to go back to 300mb or 150mb after 4 months and it strikes me already the big attraction is the upload ie if we had 100mb/100mb up/down we would not need anymore for quite a while.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have the option to go back to 300mb or 150mb after 4 months and it strikes me already the big attraction is the upload ie if we had 100mb/100mb up/down we would not need anymore for quite a while.

Yup, that is my own experience. Going from UPC 120Mb/s to 240Mb/s I saw no real world difference. The benefit was really in going from 12Mb/s upload to 24Mb/s.

Above 100Mb/s, few servers can take advantage of that these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

bk wrote: »
    Yup, that is my own experience. Going from UPC 120Mb/s to 240Mb/s I saw no real world difference. The benefit was really in going from 12Mb/s upload to 24Mb/s.

p2p does though. Its a torrenters paradise!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

And steam ;) Buy a new game, 60GB? 8 minutes. Sure just enough time to make a snack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I had 90 up in S.Korea not sure why Eir doesn't have asymmetric connection.

red_bairn wrote: »
    I had 90 up in S.Korea not sure why Eir doesn't have asymmetric connection.

10GPON is asymmetric. Running 20 fibres to an estate is far cheaper than running 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭Nollog

ED E wrote: »
    And steam ;) Buy a new game, 60GB? 8 minutes. Sure just enough time to make a snack.

That's download surely.

Ain't the siro offer symmetric?

/\/ollog wrote: »
    That's download surely.

Ain't the siro offer symmetric?

Tis, because they're placing their OLTs in cabs with estates. As theyve no existing plant really it makes a little more sense for them to do it that way, but it will be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

That take me 2 days on my connection to download :).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

bk wrote: »

Ive yet to experience real world experience on an internet connection faster than 22 megs and that was on wifi in a hotel in Ireland. The difference between what I have 9 megs and 22 megs is huge. When i was on 22 megs I just couldn't get over how good it is but at the same time I felt totally satisfied that there is no need for anything faster at this current time. After 24 megs it's just a case of diminishing returns. Going from 120MB/s to 240MB/s probably feels the same as going from 6 meg to 7 meg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

And that's exactly how games are going...40-60GB+.

Try 100GB expected install size for Star Citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

But but but nobody needs such "crazy" speeds....(the reality of course is that the world won't wait around for the slowest broadband connections and Ireland will be ahead of the curve for once).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I regularly hit my 95mbit download limit.

The funny thing is, I have no need for 100mbit upload speeds, but DO have a need for 1000mbit uploads. Although, if there are traffic limits, then I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Looks a bit horsed together :/
    Yes, it all looks pretty scruffy all right, I wouldn't be happy with that myself.

Also not only is the the left most box mounted crooked, there's a chip out of the plaster showing possibly where a large hole was drilled straight from outside, rather than first drilling a small pilot hole and then drilling the large hole from both sides towards the middle which is best practice.

If I ever get this installed I'll be hovering over them like a hawk making sure they do it right and tidily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Where can I find out when my town (Mullingar) can avail of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

KN lads just touched down to do my install whoop whoop....:)

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

any ideas how the rollout is working in Ennis... I live near St Flannans... hopefully I'm at least on the roadmap for soon???!

Finding my DP Point in the manhole, Might not be able to to continuous updates as I have to slip out

• Advertisement

One of my first speed tests. Only doing this on my crappy work laptop (at least 7 years old :o) Xbox one is showing 620Mb down though:D
    and yer man was saying that they ramp the speed up later. Ping good though. Will check back latger with better speed tests. I have to go back work now:(

134948538.png

4858628916.png

4858714200.png

its getting better....

very nice !! hope it gets up to 1000!

I'd say not many of the speed test nodes are even capable of testing 1000 ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

sibergoth wrote: »
    very nice !! hope it gets up to 1000!

I'd say not many of the speed test nodes are even capable of testing 1000 ???
    it won't get to 1Gb but very close like 962mb which is amazing speed :).

crazy speed.. i have a gigabit switch on my lan.. it would be like having the internet as a local machine... nice !!

can't wait for my street to get sorted....... fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭sennah

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Finding my DP Point in the manhole, Might not be able to to continuous updates as I have to slip out

Looks good ECO_Mental. Enjoy!

Looking at your picture of the distribution point, it looks like only 4 users can be catered for from it? Is that correct? Seems like a lot of effort for little gain!

sennah wrote: »
    Looks good ECO_Mental. Enjoy!

Looking at your picture of the distribution point, it looks like only 4 users can be catered for from it? Is that correct? Seems like a lot of effort for little gain!

Don't know really, I'd say its about 8, there are about 4 of these manholes with the fiber DP in my street that covers all the houses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭sennah

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Don't know really, I'd say its about 8, there are about 4 of these manholes with the fiber DP in my street that covers all the houses

I've just had a closer look and there seems to be 6 pigtails in that DP (each green block will serve once connection if I'm not mistaken... 2 fibre strands per connection). I guess that means there's a 12 core fibre coming into this particular DP

Just saw your ONT pic too. That's quite a neat install. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭swoofer

great news, glad your sorted and that's a very neat install. used a much smaller cable than mine and did a nice job via skirting board.

• Advertisement

great news, glad your sorted and that's a very neat install. used a much smaller cable than mine and did a nice job via skirting board.

The Fiber coming out of the skirting is just one strand from a larger cable they just stripped it back behind the skirting. Neat enough job alright just need to caulk around the fibre.

By the way xbox one now up to around 750Mb;). Still working off my crappy laptop need to check it with the missues top of the range i7 Laptop

Advertisement