Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to roll out 1Gb/s FTTH to 66 towns

Options
1646566676870»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Pegasus177 wrote: »
    Ok so I just saw the actual map for the rollout around my area. Am I mistaken???
    Is it only the specific residents with a blue marker are getting the services?? Or the houses situated near the blue marker???

Because if it's the former then the house literally 100m from me, which is occupied by a 92 year old lady who doesnt even have a tv... is getting it but I'm not. This better be a joke.. I've been calling every few months for updates about this service since it was announced way back when.
    So Pegasus fellow namesake, this is an infrastructural rollout as much as anything else, what would happen when down the road, the old lady passes away and the house passes to someone else in the family- best case scenario - worst case it stands empty for years/decades as there was no one else in her family etc. and falls to a government quandary..

In answer to the question, its only the blue dotted houses getting it, the whatever reason as said in previous post, that certain houses get bypassed, could be the distance from the line ie. anything over 50 meters..

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Pegasus177

pegasus1 wrote: »
    So Pegasus fellow namesake, this is an infrastructural rollout as much as anything else, what would happen when down the road, the old lady passes away and the house passes to someone else in the family- best case scenario - worst case it stands empty for years/decades as there was no one else in her family etc. and falls to a government quandary..

In answer to the question, its only the blue dotted houses getting it, the whatever reason as said in previous post, that certain houses get bypassed, could be the distance from the line ie. anything over 50 meters..

Well I don't think it's a distance from line issue. I live in a small town well outside the main city on the cork dublin road. The whole town is literally surrounded on all sides by blue house FTTH markers but the town itself is not included. I'm on what could be deemed the very edge of the town and the next house down the road is the first in it's direction with the FTTH planned marker. The cabinet for the area is about 7 times the distance in the opposite direction.
    What is annoying me here is that I live in what is considered a rural town, when the news dropped that this service was coming to rural areas first i watched it with keen interest.
    Now I discover the town is being skipped over while every single house outside the town for about 5 miles in a 360 degree direction is getting this service except the town. It doesn't look to be a issue of distance to line as.. like I said we are literally surrounded on all fronts with FTTH properties. It just looks like we were deliberately excluded.
    It's got me triggered.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pegasus177 wrote: »
    Well I don't think it's a distance from line issue. I live in a small town well outside the main city on the cork dublin road. The whole town is literally surrounded on all sides by blue house FTTH markers but the town itself is not included. I'm on what could be deemed the very edge of the town and the next house down the road is the first in it's direction with the FTTH planned marker. The cabinet for the area is about 7 times the distance in the opposite direction.
    What is annoying me here is that I live in what is considered a rural town, when the news dropped that this service was coming to rural areas first i watched it with keen interest.
    Now I discover the town is being skipped over while every single house outside the town for about 5 miles in a 360 degree direction is getting this service except the town. It doesn't look to be a issue of distance to line as.. like I said we are literally surrounded on all fronts with FTTH properties. It just looks like we were deliberately excluded.
    It's got me triggered.

The town is clearly planned for VDSL. FTTH will cover further out but its cheaper for them to provide VDSL up to 1.5km from the centre.

You'd do well to house swap with the pensioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

or just run an ethernet cable from her house to yours...

sibergoth wrote: »
    or just run an ethernet cable from her house to yours...

Some of the sparkys will eat your head off for suggesting that, has safety implications.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ED E wrote: »
    Some of the sparkys will eat your head off for suggesting that, has safety implications.

Marginal distance for Ethernet anyway. Better to run fibre, which also avoids any potential ground loop problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

put it inside a hydrodare pipe. it'll be grand.

sibergoth wrote: »
    put it inside a hydrodare pipe. it'll be grand.

That would only work if you didnt connect it to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

ED E wrote: »
    only some? :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭Nollog

https://i.imgur.com/5jH8LE8.jpg

Anyone know if this is eirs odt perhaps? There's two outside some blocks down the way from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

/\/ollog wrote: »
    https://i.imgur.com/5jH8LE8.jpg

Anyone know if this is eirs odt perhaps? There's two outside some blocks down the way from me.

Looks like one SIRO uses - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104350099&postcount=3885

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭Nollog

The Cush wrote: »

Ah knew I saw it on boards before.
    Weird since they already have a different kind up all accross our apartment blocks. Must've been high demand?

Advertisement