Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef General Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Bullocks wrote: »
    Feck that for a game of soldiers ! Did you start milking yet ?
    Would a few pigtails and electric wire have done short term instead of late night and early morning driving stakes

Family first, work second, exercise third and farm fourth. There's the priorities. Pigtails don't work well at corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

just do it wrote: »
    With my young Messi ;)

Most important 10 minutes so :-)
    Hope he scores em all !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Family first, work second, exercise third and farm fourth. There's the priorities. Pigtails don't work well at corners.

I'm getting lazy and making them work . If I have to I use 2 - one as an anchor and tie the corner one like you would tie a tent off a peg .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Thinking of creep feeding the calves soon. What are you using/have you used? Would a 3:1 barley soya mix be abit to harsh on their stomachs adlib?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Depends on the age M4S, our three youngest went into the creep last week (only a couple of kg a day going into for the older ones, beef nut/ration mix) and gave them a dirty grey scour.

4 to 6 months old. More of them on the 5/6 month old side.

I'm not too great on the self mixes as we always use a nut but would barley not be a bit harsh on their stomach? Would they be tempted enough to eat it is the second question :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Thinking of creep feeding the calves soon. What are you using/have you used? Would a 3:1 barley soya mix be abit to harsh on their stomachs adlib?
    I wouldn't go with 3:1 to start off with. Soya meal is not that palatable and you could turn them off before you start. Many years ago a nutritional advisor told me not to include more than 20% soya meal. I also found that younger stock are more inclined to leave the soya meal in the end of the trough.
    I would go with straight barley (rolled) first and then slowly introduce the soya meal t build up the protein content.
    We always feed rolled barley to calves and young stock and have no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Base price wrote: »
    I wouldn't go with 3:1 to start off with. Soya meal is not that palatable and you could turn them off before you start. Many years ago a nutritional advisor told me not to include more than 20% soya meal. I also found that younger stock are more inclined to leave the soya meal in the end of the trough.
    I would go with straight barley (rolled) first and then slowly introduce the soya meal t build up the protein content.

No need for protein meal (the soya) on grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Good loser wrote: »
    Agree with you but in OP's case we are now in July and grass quality is not what it was a month or two ago. By the time his calves have got used to the creep system, grass quality will continue to deteriorate so if I was in his shoes I would be adding soya bean and a mineral unless they got smalltrace or similar bolus.

The calves didn't get a bolus yet and will have plenty of good after grass in front of them. But it will take a month before they get fully ust to the creep, that's the start of August and the stronger ones only 8ish weeks from being pulled from mammy. I'm going to try use it as a tool to brake the bond before hand by placing it in the next field in the rotation. That's the plan anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Kovu wrote: »
    I'm not too great on the self mixes as we always use a nut but would barley not be a bit harsh on their stomach? Would they be tempted enough to eat it is the second question :P

A miller salesman said the same when I spec'ed a ration of barley and hulls this year, now I know it is two year old fresians but from the first day they are emptying the troughs. I orders straight hulls a while back and he said they all wanted barley and maize in the mix.
    Base price wrote: »

Soya bean meal not palatable:rolleyes: FFS the only reason I would not use it is the price. Nobody has mentions calcium. Calcium build bones, build bones.
    Good loser wrote: »

I agree to many get hooked on protein put a bit of calcium in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Sold 4 cattle yesterday in delvin mart.
    2x HEX blks 485kgs €1120
    1x FR blk 510kgs €1130
    1x AAX blk 565kgs €1230

All animals 18/19 months old.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Reggie. wrote: »
    Sold 4 cattle yesterday in delvin mart.
    2x HEX blks 485kgs €1120
    1x FR blk 510kgs €1130
    1x AAX blk 565kgs €1230

All animals 18/19 months old.

Unreal prices Reggie for hex, fr and aax. Fair play. Are they the ones you stuck pics up of recently?

AP2014 wrote: »
    Unreal prices Reggie for hex, fr and aax. Fair play. Are they the ones you stuck pics up of recently?

Yeah the same ones. Surprised how heavy that AAX was. Well in fairness was happy with all thier weights to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Yeah the same ones. Surprised how heavy that AAX was. Well in fairness was happy with all thier weights to be fair

Unreal weight, didn't look it. Had some great chx's last year that age hardly that weight. Tempted to let a few go myself now early sept or oct. Will see how I am for grass.

AP2014 wrote: »
    Unreal weight, didn't look it. Had some great chx's last year that age hardly that weight. Tempted to let a few go myself now early sept or oct. Will see how I am for grass.

I'd be thinking of letting them go now. Test the water. Animals from 400kg to 600kg are on demand.my advice is to go before the glut of cattle come in from the fields

• Registered Users Posts: 41 simonhm

i have a bbx heifer born in April 14 . only problem with her is she got lapped in wire with her back leg with the previous owner and she cant walk on it as a result of the damage. her nerve is gone on that leg. she is eating grass and meal and is walking on 3 legs. what would she be worth and where would I sell her ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

simonhm wrote: »
    i have a bbx heifer born in April 14 . only problem with her is she got lapped in wire with her back leg with the previous owner and she cant walk on it as a result of the damage. her nerve is gone on that leg. she is eating grass and meal and is walking on 3 legs. what would she be worth and where would I sell her ?

Keep her until November and finish her in factory. Mart would be way too much hardship on her. See have any local butchers their own abattoir and they might by her by live weight when ya flesh her out a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,835 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

my dad has a pb aa cow very heavy, dry a long timeand a pb aa heifer- lunatic but has quietened down a bit- probably over 600kg. How long do ye expect prices to stay at current levels? Will have to blood them and convince him to sell them

• Advertisement

I'd be thinking of letting them go now. Test the water. Animals from 400kg to 600kg are on demand.my advice is to go before the glut of cattle come in from the fields

Think I might follow your advice on that. Those sorta prices don't come too often. Most of what I have won't be suitable to finish this yr as they april and may weanlings that I bought last yr as couldn't rear calves early on as down with tb.

whelan2 wrote: »
    my dad has a pb aa cow very heavy, dry a long timeand a pb aa heifer- lunatic but has quietened down a bit- probably over 600kg. How long do ye expect prices to stay at current levels? Will have to blood them and convince him to sell them

They might stay a little while longer but if you notice the graph at the back of the journal it's around this time the glut of cattle arrive to marts.

The mart yesterday had plenty of cattle in it but mainly cows, bulls and heifers. Not too many bullocks.

Once the glut arrives I'd say the prices will come under pressure a bit. Can't see them plummeting but I'd say they will drop a little

Sold 3 heifers and a bull weanling today
    BB 300kg €810
    LM 420kg €1000
    LM 460kg €950
    BB bull 260kg €820

Happy with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

BB 300kg €810
    LM 420kg €1000
    LM 460kg €950
    BB bull 260kg €820

Happy with that

Good stuff. What quality were they?

Good stuff. What quality were they?

They weren't export , that's for sure .
    The €1000 heifer was nice and she was 4 * for replacement
    They were out of limx cows

They weren't export , that's for sure .
    The €1000 heifer was nice and she was 4 * for replacement
    They were out of limx cows

Good prices at marts now eh bullocks

BB 300kg €810
    LM 420kg €1000
    LM 460kg €950
    BB bull 260kg €820

Happy with that

Were you in Headford with them? Lad was saying store bullocks were dear again. What ages were yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I heard from 2 people in the last few days that blood testing is finished this month?? Anyone know if there is any truth behind it?

Good prices at marts now eh bullocks

Oh it is . I have a good mind to get rid of a have of smaller stuff aswell , they will probably make as much now as in October even with a bit more weight on them

Were you in Headford with them? Lad was saying store bullocks were dear again. What ages were yours?

No Maam cross, I have a fr cow for headford next Saturday though , the vet hadn't her tested on time this week to go

• Advertisement

I heard from 2 people in the last few days that blood testing is finished this month?? Anyone know if there is any truth behind it?

Maybe in the herd test but I think you will still have to test for selling over 24 mnths. Greysides might have a more definite answer though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Once NI gets the all clear is what I heard and that was expected this month

ganmo wrote: »
    Once NI gets the all clear is what I heard and that was expected this month
    asked vet the other day and he said they have heard nothing yet , so it will be here for a while

Oh it is . I have a good mind to get rid of a have of smaller stuff aswell , they will probably make as much now as in October even with a bit more weight on them

Thinking the same but will have nothing to eat the grass then

Thinking the same but will have nothing to eat the grass then
    what about some sheep:D

How very dare you :P

You'd want a fair few sheep to eat it as it's coming at the minute but they are down in price a bit I hear . I'll just bale any surplus as I haven't enough fencing for sheep at the minute .
    If we don't get a good autumn around here I'd say there will be go on silage hay around Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 41 simonhm

bought nice texel ewe lambs to clip the grass for €92 hd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

simonhm wrote: »
    bought nice texel ewe lambs to clip the grass for €92 hd

what weight ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

last of the pt bulls gone yesterday
    508kg 1430
    478kg 1290
    422kg 1160
    391kg 1100
    266kg 740

leg wax wrote: »
    last of the pt bulls gone yesterday
    508kg 1430
    478kg 1290
    422kg 1160
    391kg 1100
    266kg 740

Your happy out so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Was the last one a late calf or a bad un?

What are cows like at the minute? Have one here that we're fed up of, even though she's a good breeder. Has broken at 40 days and is a bit of a loon when trying to round her up. What are the blood rules re factory. She has never been blooded.

Is she fit? She has got no meal and calf still on her but ready to wean. would a few weeks in a shed make her over fat?

I know nothing about putting animals to the factory so help me out lads!!

onDz2LPl.jpg
    UovWzlQl.jpg
    qZZn1z9l.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Grueller

What are cows like at the minute? Have one here that we're fed up of, even though she's a good breeder. Has broken at 40 days and is a bit of a loon when trying to round her up. What are the blood rules re factory. She has never been blooded.

Is she fit? She has got no meal and calf still on her but ready to wean. would a few weeks in a shed make her over fat?

I know nothing about putting animals to the factory so help me out lads!!

onDz2LPl.jpg
    UovWzlQl.jpg
    qZZn1z9l.jpg

Fine cow kovu. She looks well fleshed to my eye anyhow. Blood her and away with her asap imo. I killed one lately in no better condition and got €4.30 a kilo. Let her on when prices are still strong.

Grueller wrote: »
    Fine cow kovu. She looks well fleshed to my eye anyhow. Blood her and away with her asap imo. I killed one lately in no better condition and got €4.30 a kilo. Let her on when prices are still strong.

You got a good price there!
    Will she still have to be blooded for the factory? Am also waiting on two other cows, if they repeat, they can join her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

No blood needed for factory.

mf240 wrote: »
    No blood needed for factory.

At all? She was born in 2010 and escaped it all these years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

At all? She was born in 2010 and escaped it all these years.

Yip. No blood for factory. Only mart or private sale.

A mate of mine brought 3 like her(maybe not as good ) to the mart last . I'll ask him and report back . I'd say she is grand for factory and would save you the price of blooding her . But then again someone might give better money in the mart and get more weight on her themselves

A mate of mine brought 3 like her(maybe not as good ) to the mart last . I'll ask him and report back . I'd say she is grand for factory and would save you the price of blooding her . But then again someone might give better money in the mart and get more weight on her themselves

True, but I think she'd go overfat very quick as she's put up that on grass alone while feeding a brute of a blue heifer. Ask and let me know though! I suppose I could feed her in the field for a few weeks with a bucket. Save hardship of the shed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement