Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming for Tri Beginners

Options
  • 06-11-2014 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭

Purpose
    This thread is primarily for those new to Triathlon,who intend competing in Tri races in 2015, and want to improve their swim ability over the winter. Anyone is free to join any time or ask questions, likewise anyone is free to answer questions.

Structure
    Since athletes will have differing abilities, the structure cannot be considered rigid. However, there needs to be some sort of foundation, so the structure will be based on monthly blocks. November to April will be pool-based. To start, each week will have three swims, loosely defined as one short set-based swim, one drill-based swim, and one long set-based swim. If you find a set is too hard/easy, mention that on-thread and alternatives will be suggested.

Requirements
    kick board
    pull bouy
    Swim Smooth Book (highly recommended)
    Nice to have but not mandatory:Band, fins, paddles, centre snorkle, Garmin Swim or similar.

Terminology
    sw=swim (front crawl)
    k=kick (usually holding a board out in front like Superman)
    pb=pull bouy (usually held between the thighs)
    dp=doggy paddle (head above the water)
    "10*100 off 2:30, in 2:10" means you swim 100m ten times; each 100m should take 2:10 ("in 2:10"), and you have the remainder time to rest (ie 2:30-2:10=20 seconds rest) before starting the next 100m.
    Bilateral breathing=breathing both sides. For example, "breathe every 3" means you take a breath one side, stroke, stroke, stroke while breathing on the other side. Essential to have, and something we will work a lot on. When your head is underwater you should be exhaling slowly through the nose. Making a "Mmmmmm" sound can help.
    Hypoxic=limited breathing. 25m 2 breaths means you take a breath at the wall, then maximum two breaths more as you swim to the other wall.
    Ripple/Fingertip=as your arm exits and reaches forward, ripple your fingers along the water. This drill teaches correct hand entry.
    Armpit touch=as your arm recovers, imagine your hand zipping up a dress from back to shoulder, almost touch the armpit, and extend. This teaches correct high elbow.
    Catch-up=Keep one hand extended, rotate with the other, slap hands and swap sides; repeat. This helps with your catch and glide.
    Thigh-tap=as your hand exits from the back, lightly graze your thigh with your thumb. This teaches you to get the most out of your stroke by not exiting too early.
    Fist=balled fists as you swim. This teaches to use the forearm to catch and pull through the water.

Caveat
    While I'm not in any way qualified to coach, this thread is set up to help newbie/improver swimmers. More experienced voices are always welcome, especially if I (or someone else) gives advice you consider counter-productive, or erroneous. However, I ask that everyone recognise the too-many-chiefs syndrome, and that discussion remains helpful and does not degenerate into His Way versus Her Way. The aim is to get as many people as possible capable of swimming strongly in next seasons Tri's and beyond.

Lessons
    You can't beat having a good coach shouting down at you for progress. Contact and join your local Tri club, they should have a swim program. Failing that, ask at your local pool for beginner/advanced adult lessons.

Here are some clear examples of how to breath both sides, and the drills.

Bilateral Breathing

Ripple/Fingertip Drill

Armpit touch

Catch-up

Fist Drill

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

We'll begin the plan next week. For the moment, it would be useful to get an idea of people's abilities. If you can't swim at all, this plan won't be any use to you; you'll need to get one-on-one or group lessons. If you can swim at least a length or two, stick down the following details and post them. This way we can best try and tailor the "programme" as such.

User Name:
    Swim Experience:
    Can you breath bilaterally?:
    Current 100m time:
    Current 400m time:
    Tri race experience:
    Open Water experience:
    Furthest distance swam:
    Any Other Relevant details:

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

User Name: ToTriOrNot
    Swim Experience: Learn as a kid, done on and off sessions while in Uni, nothing serious, just as a way to pass the time and exercise.
    Can you breath bilaterally?: Yes
    Current 100m time: No idea, will be back once I time myself next time I am in the pool, but around 1:45-2:00
    Current 400m time: Same as above
    Tri race experience: Done Joey Hannan Try a Tri in 2013...not very fit, but enjoyed, and Youghal Sprint , still unfit, but I finish and wasn't the last one, but very close..my swim was average, but the run was pure torture!!
    Open Water experience: This year I did the swim part of Cobh Tri Oly (Spike Island to Cobh), several laps of Sandycove , one at a time!!!, Guogane Barra swim, 2.75km, Courthmasherry RNLI swim 750m,
    Furthest distance swam: 2.75 km OW, and around 3km in the pool
    Any Other Relevant details: Trying to loose weight and getting fitter, and what better way to do it than training for an olympic distance tri summer 2015. Young family, demanding job, so limited time to train!! Swim with a group and a coach Wednesday morning, trying to fit another 2 sessions a week will be hard, but willing to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Good on you Kurt, I always knew us novices would get you going to marshall us into place!

User Name: KillianByrne
    Swim Experience: Swimming since a child due to a sailing background but never any real distance. Started 'serious' swimming after completing the Swim Ireland 'Swim for a mile' challenge in Jan / Feb 2014. Just started back swimming 3 times a week as part of post marathon winter fitness plans.
    Current 100m time: No Idea, have never timed it.
    Current 400m time: As above
    Tri race experience: 2 x Sprint and 2 x Olympic
    Open Water experience: a handful of training sessions alongside the above races. (If its relevant, I would also do 20mins in the sea every morning while on holidays)
    Furthest distance swam: 2000m in pool - 1500m open water as part of OlyTri.
    Any Other Relevant details: Swimming mainly in a 20m pool, I found the transition to lengths in a 50m quite difficult and onwards to 1500m open water even more so. 1500m triathlon became a case of make it to the finish (without breaststroke) rather than trying to break speed records

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

May as well hop in here.

User Name: Rainbow Kirby
    Swim Experience: Learned at school, swam 1,500m sessions as cross-training for running every now and then, only consistently swimming since summer 2013. Once a week coaching since April 2014.
    Current 100m time: Somewhere in the 2:10-2:15 region during sets, all-out probably around 1:50
    Current 400m time: No idea - working from a 15:33 750m split in a tri I'm guessing between 7 and 8 minutes?
    Tri race experience: 2 sprints (swim splits of 16:48 and 15:33 for 750m) and 1 Olympic (swim split somewhere around 35 minutes) in 2014. Also raced an aquathon in July (500m swim/5km run).
    Open Water experience: Regular at Kenwood Ladies Pond from April to October. Completed the Great London Swim (1 mile OW) in August 2013
    Furthest distance swam: 3km in a pool, 2km in open water
    Any Other Relevant details: I swim in 33 yard/30m pools almost exclusively, renovated old baths. I swim with a group on Friday evenings, and try to fit in 1-2 other sessions during the week. I am aiming to do my first HIM in September 2015, the one I'm aiming for has a sea swim that was particularly rough this year so my swimming needs to be strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

User Name: GoHard
    Swim Experience: Always really slow, my top speed is very similar to my all-day speed.
    Current 100m time: Approx. 1:50
    Current 400m time: 9:03 a few months ago. More like 10:00 now.
    Tri race experience: A couple of triathlons but always terrible at swimming and poor cycle hoping that my run would pull me through. Want to be able to swim comfortably, have a decent cycle and be able to run the half marathon part of a half ironman.
    Open Water experience: very little. Did do lost sheep in 2009. Think it took me 55 minutes to do the 1.9k
    Furthest distance swam: 1.9k zig zagging around
    Any Other Relevant details: hoping to do swims before work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Great thread Kurt, thanks

So what is the entry requirement to be a newbie/improver? Surely someone who learned to swim as a child could not call themselves a newbie to swimming :confused: Just asking innocently, before I'm lynched!

Just to add something of relevance. To get in tune with your swim development, instead of describing a session in terms of pace, or drills done, talk about how you felt in the water. Be descriptive about it. A beautifully technical swimmer & coach once said she sort of feels like she is swimming 'on top' of the water. It took me a long time to figure that out, but I learned plenty along the way!

Great thread Kurt, thanks

So what is the entry requirement to be a newbie/improver? Surely someone who learned to swim as a child could not call themselves a newbie to swimming :confused: Just asking innocently, before I'm lynched!

Just to add something of relevance. To get in tune with your swim development, instead of describing a session in terms of pace, or drills done, talk about how you felt in the water. Be descriptive about it. A beautifully technical swimmer & coach once said she sort of feels like she is swimming 'on top' of the water. It took me a long time to figure that out, but I learned plenty along the way!

No real entry requirement, beyond being able to swim a few lengths! "Newbie/improver" is just a term, it could just as well be "semi-moderate/sub-advanced";) The main aim is to help those who struggle with their Tri swim, get better and faster. Someone who swam as a kid has an advantage, a dormant ability that will come back quickly as an adult.

Absolutely agree with your second point. Having a "feel for the water", "swimming high", etc; we've all known those descriptions, when the swim is going well. Conversely, "swimming through treacle", "concrete socks"; when its not going so well. The difference is technique and swim form. When swim form starts to drop during a race, you get slower, its harder to breath, which makes you slower again, which drops your form, which gets you even slower... Getting out of the water slow and tired, feeds into a bad bike and run.

Distance isn't the goal, technique and form are. If you can swim two lengths with good form, you can quickly develop that into swimming 3.8k with good form- but good form comes first. Swimming "on top" of the water, when you are in control of every stroke and every breath, effortlessly gliding through the waves; thats the goal of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

User Name: Mirrormatrix
    Swim Experience: Swam a bit when younger but then did nothing for about 20 years. Started to learn properly 3 years ago.
    Current 100m time: 1:50 approx
    Current 400m time: 7:30
    Tri race experience: Maybe 10 sprint, 4 Olympic and 1 HIM
    Open Water experience: Swam for 30 min once a week during the summer. Also tri and aquathon race experience.
    Furthest distance swam: 2500m in pool - 1800m open water as part of HIM.
    Any Other Relevant details: Have been consistently at this pace for the best part of a year, but am showing no further improvements. I have been told that my main issues are lack of rotation and dropping the elbow on the catch. Swim with a tri club once a week but have not been getting private lessons. Aiming to improve technique over the winter, increasing my (really low) stroke rate while keeping form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread in the hopes of learning a few things, my first Triathlon won't be until 2016 though.

My first ever swimming lesson is next Wednesday and I figure I'll need a full year of practice before trying anything serious. If I get to 40 lengths non stop I'll hopefully be ready. I've done a fee Duathlons and the Kayakarun this year, it'll be nice to add something extra into the mix.

I'll keep my gob shut from now on and leave things to the actual swimmers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 KanyeWest

User Name: KanyeWest

Swim Experience: Swam with a club once a week between ages 11 and 15. Never did any races or galas. Only stopped because I didn't have a lift to the pool anymore! I loved swimming. I remember being one of the stronger swimmers there but running took precedence.

Can you breath bilaterally?: No. More than anything I want to figure this one out. Can't be too difficult!

Current 100m time: 1:25
    Current 400m time: 6:30

Tri race experience: Zero

Open Water experience: Zero. I have a wetsuit sitting at home I am dying to use.

Furthest distance swam: 1000m. 25 metre pool last year. Instructions were to swim 1k having never gone further than 400m.
    Any Other Relevant details: Both 100m and 400m times are a bit rough as I have not done any time trial recently. I can't tumble turn which is something I really want to figure out, just for training purposes. I'm only swimming twice a week at the moment, but I love the water. A coached session with a triathlon club and one solo session where I generally get in the pool and make it up as I go along. I don't know how to set up a good session which is one thing I'm looking for when I browse the logs here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Likewise on keeping my eye on this thread especially if there are some open water drills/tips. I'm working through a plan at the moment that I'm seeing some good progress on so will stick with it. Have no intention of doing Dublin 70.3 but will work towards the distance (not the brand) while competing in sprint/oly in 2015

Breathing

To be a good swimmer, you must be able to breath with ease. This is the single most important factor in holding back progress- if you struggle for air, you will struggle to swim. If you panic in a scrum during a Tri start, and start to hyperventilate, your race is as good as over. If you find yourself gasping for air when swimming, you will likely be poisoning your blood with excess CO2, and tense up and lose form.

So you need to breath with ease.

If you can do this by breathing bilaterally, great, keep doing so, bilateral breathing is the goal. A word on terminology: each arm rotation is considered one stroke, so breathing every 3, or 5, is bilateral, meaning you turn the head for air on different sides every 3 or 5 strokes. Conversely, breathing every 2 or 4 means you always turn to the same side to breathe. If you can only breathe on one side, then for the moment keep doing so; its more important that you get enough oxygen.

A common problem with novice swimmers is they hold their breath underwater. This has the effect of building up excess CO2 in your body, which will cause you to tense up. It also means air has to be released in one quick burst, often not giving enough time to take fresh air in when the head goes up. So this first lesson is to get swimmers used to exhaling constantly.

Exercise
    To be completed at your leisure, when next in the pool.
    1. From a standing position, let yourself fall slowly backwards underwater, as you exhale slowly and constantly. Either say "mmmmmmm" and exhale through the nose, or make a motorbike "Brmmmmm" sound and exhale through your lips. Fall slowly down to the bottom; repeat a few times.
    2. Now try and do a similar type of exhale, as you slowly move forward with a breast stroke. Do either a few lengths like this, or just a few strokes at a time, whatever is comfortable. Again, the important thing is to be aware of constantly exhaling when the face is underwater.
    3. Swim slowly 25m fc exhaling slowly and constantly when the face is underwater (ie. the right way), breathe every 2 or 3 or 4 as you would normally. Now slowly 25m front crawl (fc) while holding in the air for each breath and exhaling just before you turn for air (ie, doing it the wrong way). Be aware of difference in how your body tenses or relaxes, between each method. Repeat a few times, alternating wrong/right.
    4. Now try 2*50m fc, slowly and exhaling smoothly and correctly. Slow down if necessary, the important thing is to get used to exhaling. Try 1*100m fc.

Summary:
    5*fall back, exhale smoothly
    2*25m slow bs, exhale smoothly
    5*25m fc as (25 exhale smoothly, 25 exhale at last second; alternate)
    2*50m fc exhale smoothly
    1*100m fc exhale smoothly
    Take as much rest as required between reps. Everything done easy pace.

*note- the correct way is to have expelled all your air by the time you come up take take a fresh breath. Just breathe in sufficient air to keep you to the next breath, you shouldn't need to gasp or fill your lungs. Relax, and slow down your pace if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Good man Kurt - very helpful.

User Name: Steroo
    Swim Experience:very poor as a child, could manage a length head above water unil about a year ago & I started watching video's & improving gradually.
    Current 100m time: approx 2:30 with break
    Current 400m time: approx 10:00
    Tri race experience: none
    Open Water experience: none
    Furthest distance swam: 1km 2 weeks ago
    Any Other Relevant details: doing lessons, started as improver, to intermediate & starting the advanced class next week.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Summary:
    5*fall back, exhale smoothly
    2*25m slow bs, exhale smoothly
    6*25m fc as (25 exhale smoothly, 25 exhale at last second; alternate)
    2*50m fc exhale smoothly
    1*100m fc exhale smoothly
    Take as much rest as required between reps. Everything done easy pace.
    I feel rather stupid doing this, but I would make one small change to the above, as shown, because odd numbers of lengths puts you at the opposite end of the pool at the end of the section. a)I have ocd and that kind of thing gets to me, and b)if the pool has a deep end, weak swimmers may prefer the breaks between sections to be in the shallow end.

Oryx wrote: »
    I feel rather stupid doing this, but I would make one small change to the above, as shown, because odd numbers of lengths puts you at the opposite end of the pool at the end of the section. a)I have ocd and that kind of thing gets to me, and b)if the pool has a deep end, weak swimmers may prefer the breaks between sections to be in the shallow end.

There will be sets later where a break at the wall means collapsing over while panting (so standing in the shallow end is more important), but this exercise set above is to be done at easy pace. Either wall will do to rest at. I said 5 just to finish on a "positive" breathing correctly, but 4 or 6 are fine too if you are OCD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Thanks Kurt. This is awesome :D

User Name: career move

Swim Experience: I learnt to swim when I was very young. I think I got a few group lessons but I didn't show a natural aptitude for it and I gravitated towards sports that I was better at.

Current 100m time: I've never timed myself swimming
    Current 400m time: "

Tri race experience: I did a tetrathlon when I was in college. Running, swimming, shooting and showjumping. I had never used a rifle before but the swimming was still my worse discipline. We had a certain amount of time to swim as many lengths of a 25m pool as we could. I think I might have managed 250m in whatever time we were allowed.

Open Water experience: Well I've maybe paddled in the sea when I've been to the beach...

Furthest distance swam: In one session 1600m. Front crawl without stopping:100m Back stroke without stopping: 600m

Any Other Relevant details: I broke my nose a few years ago and my left nostril is completely occluded. I'm sure it's a handicap ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

User Name: iwillhtfu

Swim Experience: Started swimming properly (for a reason if you will) January 2013. 2 lengths and I was fit for a stretcher. Swam daily and was completing 1000m fc without to much effort by June. 2014 I've done very little races were training tbh and no longer swim regularly. 3 young uns and one enroute I'll be lucky to get in the pool once a week but I'll try keep up.

Current 100m time: I've never timed it guesstimate sub 2min
    Current 400m time: unknown.

Tri race experience: I've done two seasons now 2013/2014 approx 5-6 races each and neither season was particularly memorable but that's for another day. swim times ranged from 12 to a disastrous 24 mins (sprint):eek: and 26-30mins (Oly)

Open Water experience: Only during races never trained in OW. This quickly became apparent during KOG event, goggles were leaking and knocked off, sighting was all over the shop so swam everywhere but straight.

Furthest distance swam: 2500M front crawl in pool and still a bit to spare bizarrely I stopped because I was thirsty. I try not to push off at the ends as I figure what's the point.

Any Other Relevant details: In every discipline I need work but seeing as this is swim focused. I'd mainly like to gain a bit of speed and stamina. Vastly improve my leg kick as this is definitely a weakness as kick drops off after a few hundred meters. I seem to struggle breathing bilaterally in OW so I'd imagine training in OW early next will help this, no issues in the pool. Dislocated a shoulder years ago and it needs surgery but it doesn't cause issue with swimming but has been known to dislocate when removing wetsuit in t1. I've no problem with distance as I seem to fall into a routine and just got through the motions I've never had to resort to the breast stroke in a race and I'm very comfortable in the water.

Anyway there it is warts and all. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes and everyones journey. I don't mind criticism once it's constructive I'm my own worst critic.

I'll be in the pool in the morning so I'll update swim times.

Cheers KG for taking the time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

User name: Zebrano

Swim Experience:Only started swimming at the start of the year. Stroke is not terrible but do have problem with breathing I think I am trying to go too fast. Any tips on how to slow down and keep a steady pace

Can you breath bilaterally?:yes

Current 100m time:no idea

Current 400m time: haven't swam that far in one go

Tri race experience:try a tri athy. Complete disaster.

Open Water experience:as above

Furthest distance swam:150m

Any Other Relevant details: haven't swan in few months

Okay, its great to see the interest so far. I'm going to stop mentioning my lack of credentials from here; hopefully everyone knows what the thread is about- improvement. We're all in it together, so I've selected the bits from peoples backgrounds that stood out to me, with a comment. Hopefully the comment will be relevant to the group at large, but please don't think the part selected was your only interesting aspect; I just chose the bits I thought would help everybody!
    Young family, demanding job, so limited time to train!! Swim with a group and a coach Wednesday morning, trying to fit another 2 sessions a week will be hard, but willing to give it a go.
    In tri, 2 swim sessions weekly will leave you an unimproving swimmer (albeit its a lot more than a lot do, but we are above the masses on this thread;)). 3 sessions to maintain/improve your current level; 4 sessions are better to improve. The blocks will consist of 3 weekly sessions, which people can substitute with their current club sessions or whatever, or add a 4th or 5th as they see fit. But 3 weekly sessions are minimum for improvement.
    Swimming mainly in a 20m pool, I found the transition to lengths in a 50m quite difficult and onwards to 1500m open water even more so. 1500m triathlon became a case of make it to the finish (without breaststroke) rather than trying to break speed records

Childhood swimmer; can do 20/25m pools no problem, but has difficulty in 50m pools and longer OW distances. Classic newbie triathlete- hopefully this thread will improve your OW fitness. There's a reason why shorter pools feel easier, and longer pools feel hard; once that is sorted out your times will come down.
    I am aiming to do my first HIM in September 2015, the one I'm aiming for has a sea swim that was particularly rough this year so my swimming needs to be strong.

Excellent- the sea needs to be respected. You can feel suddenly very alone 1,000m out from shore, in waves, and a riptide stopping you from swimming to shore. Tri swims are invariably open water, and that has a load of its own issues. When you are confident of your own abilities in rough seas,you are confident of life- no better feeling. The goal is to introduce OW swimming into this thread in April/May. In fact I'm being selfish with this thread in that I would like people to become better OW swimmers when there is a bit of chop, so Tri races don't get cancelled/curtailed so often (with the obligatory cheer from those who entered but are afraid of the sea).
    Always really slow, my top speed is very similar to my all-day speed

Again, a huge problem with many Triathletes. If this was running you wouldn't expect sprint pace to be the same as distance pace. Fixable, and it needs to be fixed.
    Have been consistently at this pace for the best part of a year, but am showing no further improvements. I have been told that my main issues are lack of rotation and dropping the elbow on the catch. Swim with a tri club once a week but have not been getting private lessons. Aiming to improve technique over the winter, increasing my (really low) stroke rate while keeping form.

There's no silver bullet, but if you really want improvement its there. High elbow is something everyone can learn more.
    Current 100m time: 1:25
    Current 400m time: 6:30
    Huge drop-off in times! Needs to be addressed! FWIW I have a similar drop-off- so I'm really interested in any cure for this!:D
    Likewise on keeping my eye on this thread especially if there are some open water drills/tips.

Yeah, next April on we'll do OW.
    Current 100m time: approx 2:30 with break
    Current 400m time: approx 10:00

Instant fix for your 100m time- divide 400 no break by 4 ;) Seriously though, we'll get defined 100m times towards the end of Nov so we have a yardstick to work from.
    Any Other Relevant details: I broke my nose a few years ago and my left nostril is completely occluded. I'm sure it's a handicap ;)

Nose plugs if needed!

But taking a lateral leap on the subject of "handicap" for the sake of inspiration, there's a lad in our local club who was born with shortened limbs. The coach says he never saw anyone work harder in training. Here's a video of his 400m in 4:55- worth thinking of whenever anyone thinks they have limitations!
    Open Water experience: Only during races never trained in OW. This quickly became apparent during KOG event, goggles were leaking and knocked off, sighting was all over the shop so swam everywhere but straight.

Its part and parcel of OW scrums- you need to learn how to deal with goggles knocked off, lads punching you in the ribs, people swimming on top of you... Get confident with these issues and it will make a huge difference to your race.
    Swim Experience:Only started swimming at the start of the year. Stroke is not terrible but do have problem with breathing I think I am trying to go too fast. Any tips on how to slow down and keep a steady pace

Slow down to a pace where the breathing is controlled. If you learn good form your stroke won't be affected too much by slowing down, and your swim will be faster overall. Steady pace throughout, with good form; trumps fast pace from the start, losing form.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

Great idea for a thread, thanks Kurt.

I hope to do a couple of triathlons next year as I feel a bit one dimensional just concentrating on running. Swimming has never been in my life so I need all the help I can get.

User Name:ainsyjnr
    Swim Experience: had lessons at school, got my 50m badge. Then nothing for 25 years until August when I discovered optical goggles did not cost hundreds of euro and realised I could actually compete in a triathlon... If I learnt to swim properly.

Can you breath bilaterally?: yes but left is not that great.
    Current 100m time:1:55
    Current 400m time:not swam that far yet.
    Tri race experience:none
    Open Water experience:none
    Furthest distance swam:160m
    Any Other Relevant details: I have been getting some technique tips from a couple of swimming buddies and I don't think I am too bad. I have to work of getting my legs up. i can manage 1200m in one session, 100 150 100 150 100 as the main set after warm ups and a few drills. I can run a 3:08 marathon so i am fairly fit but I think I lack endurance in my swimming muscles as my arms tire eventhough I am not out of breath.

• Advertisement

ainsyjnr wrote: »
    I can run a 3:08 marathon

:eek:

I want your running legs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

But taking a lateral leap on the subject of "handicap" for the sake of inspiration, there's a lad in our local club who was born with shortened limbs. The coach says he never saw anyone work harder in training. Here's a video of his 400m in 4:55- worth thinking of whenever anyone thinks they have limitations!

That is literally an incredible video, thanks for sharing. I have seen Darragh in the NAC and often wondered who he is. You neglected to mention he is also missing lower limbs yet manages to put out freestyle swim times anybody on this board would be proud of. In one of his videos he also mentioned casually how he was 14 stone at age 10 and how swimming saved his life, and led him to Olympic gold. What a truly amazing story.

My next pool session is going to have a very different focus after seeing this.

His rate of turn over is unreal I'd be burnt out after 50 metres if not less. Incredible stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    :eek:

I want your running legs :D

You can certainly borrow them when I am swimming, they are of no use to me then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I did this today.
    Exercise
    To be completed at your leisure, when next in the pool.
    1. From a standing position, let yourself fall slowly backwards underwater, as you exhale slowly and constantly. Either say "mmmmmmm" and exhale through the nose, or make a motorbike "Brmmmmm" sound and exhale through your lips. Fall slowly down to the bottom; repeat a few times.

It took me a good few tries to get to the bottom of the pool. I kind of got a bit panicky at first. Once I did it right it was easy
    2. Now try and do a similar type of exhale, as you slowly move forward with a breast stroke. Do either a few lengths like this, or just a few strokes at a time, whatever is comfortable. Again, the important thing is to be aware of constantly exhaling when the face is underwater.

I never learnt how to do breast stroke so it was more of a doggy paddle but no problem exhaling under water
    3. Swim slowly 25m fc exhaling slowly and constantly when the face is underwater (ie. the right way), breathe every 2 or 3 or 4 as you would normally. Now slowly 25m front crawl (fc) while holding in the air for each breath and exhaling just before you turn for air (ie, doing it the wrong way). Be aware of difference in how your body tenses or relaxes, between each method. Repeat a few times, alternating wrong/right.

I did one length the correct way and then one length the wrong way. I didn't like doing it the wrong way. I was breathless and my stroke was rushed. It's taken me 25 years to get the hang of exhaling under water and when I went back to doing it the correct way it took a few lengths to get my rhythm so I didn't do any more the wrong way
    4. Now try 2*50m fc, slowly and exhaling smoothly and correctly. Slow down if necessary, the important thing is to get used to exhaling.

This was fine
    Try 1*100m fc.

Found this more manageable than usual. I think this was because my breathing was more relaxed and I wasn't trying to inhale as much air as I could.

Finished off by swimming 1k without stopping. Mostly backstroke but I was looking at the ceiling so I didn't bang my head off the wall and when I got to where the rafters change direction I rolled over and did fc to the wall. I also did a few lengths where I was on my back but I kept my arms by my sides and just kicked with my legs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

..... Mostly backstroke but I was looking at the ceiling so I didn't bang my head off the wall and when I got to where the rafters change direction I rolled over and did fc to the wall.....

The overhead rope/flags are same distant from the wall at either end. Count your strokes from the flag to the wall. OK you might bang your head first time but then you will know and will get the last stroke right every time :)

Week 1 Programme

Three days, spread over the week. The purpose here is to give direction to those who might not otherwise have a programme- obviously if you have a coach, stick with what your coach suggests. Times are not too important just now, the most important aspect is understanding swim form. When doing the drills, be aware of the purpose of each. If you find any of the drills slow you down to the extent your legs are sinking, try using the pb at the same time.
    Report back on how you got on. Mistakes are to be expected at this stage, so make sure to mention them- now is the time to make mistakes and work on correcting them.

Day 1
    200 easy
    4*50 k with board (rest at each wall if needed)
    4*50 fingertip
    4*50 pb
    4*50 armpit tap
    4*50 sw
    200 swim down
    15 sec rest after each drill, all done at comfortable pace. More experienced swimmers do two sets (ie after 4*50 sw, start again on 4*50k and continue...)

Day 2
    200 easy
    3*100 off 2:40
    1 min rest
    3*100 off 2:30
    1 min rest
    3*100 off 2:20
    1 min rest
    3*100 off 2:10
    1 min rest
    200 easy
    Steady pace for each 100. With the variance in peoples abilities, these times are used for guidance until we have a better idea of paces. Be aware of hand entry when doing this set, think of your fingertip drill and how the hand enters, fingers pointed down. More experienced swimmers do 4*100 or 5*100 of each.

Day 3
    200 easy
    4*400, alternate swim and pb, minute rest after each
    200 easy
    Keep an easy steady pace for these 400's- you should finish at a similar pace as you start. More experienced swimmers can try 6*400.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

Hi Kurt,
    Thanks for setting this thread up - been thinking about a triathlon for a while now, but swimming a bit of a problem!
    Swim Experience: Sort of learned when younger, could never swim more than a length of a pool at a time. Managed over the last few years to string a few lengths together, but very frustrated at not being able to do more than that. This year made more of an effort, and managed to get up to 10 - 20 lengths in one go, but not consistently. Can backstroke comfortably enough for 5-600metres.
    Can you breath bilaterally?: Sort of - it feels uncomfortable.
    Current 100m time: Don't know
    Current 400m time: Don't know
    Tri race experience: None
    Open Water experience: Very little swimming experience, but always been quite comfortable in open water, no issue jumping into the sea off a boat.
    Furthest distance swam: In one go, probably about 800m
    Any Other Relevant details: My local town has an olympic distance tri next September, and I'd love to be able to take part - swimming is the big barrier!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sweep521

User Name: sweep521
    Swim Experience: learned to swim as a child self taught really not great technique but had that corrected recently and have improved.
    Can you breath bilaterally?: yes
    Current 100m time: dont know
    Current 400m time: as above
    Tri race experience: 1x sprint should have trained, left me know how much I have to work on
    Open Water experience: a handful of times maybe swam 330m each time, dark water freaks me out!
    Furthest distance swam: 800m
    Any Other Relevant details:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SargentDuck

User Name: Sargent Duck
    Swim Experience: Not much....
    Current 100m time: Not sure
    Current 400m time: As above
    Tri race experience: Zilch, but that’s what 2015 is for!
    Open Water experience: None...
    Furthest distance swam: Getting embarrassing but not sure.
    Any Other Relevant details: After a slow year as a result of a sick wife I’m aiming on concentrating on Tri’s for 2015. I’ve done a few Marathons and have a 3:08 PB in DCM so not completely ignorant to training 

Thanks and a great idea.

N

Advertisement