Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ground Anchor

Options
  • 19-07-2014 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭

Any recomondations? The front garden is tarmaced over stone. Was thinking of getting some crane chain too.
    I was thinking of getting a consaw to cut through the tarmac, then dig a hole and loop the chain into it leaving a noose exposed before pouring concrete into it.

What could possibly go wrong? :D

There has to be a simpler solution, really don't want to make shít of the tarmac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Any solid brick walls? It doesn't have to actually go in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Bolt an anchor onto the wall? Great idea, waay less messy ;), think I'll go for that one, any good anchors that'd suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭GBX

http://www.morrisonbhp.net/apps/webstore/products/show/1405489

Good value one here. I've bought from Ian before .. good to deal with .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I have an unfitted hardie secure anchor for sale if you like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Bolt an anchor onto the wall? Great idea, waay less messy ;), think I'll go for that one, any good anchors that'd suit?

Most will recommend you bolt the anchor to the wall as its harder to cut chain which is not lying on the ground.

Unfortunately that option wasn't open to me so mine is on the concrete drive but my preference would have been the wall.

Idleater, would an almax chain go through it, and if yes, do you have the drill bit that goes with it? Oh and how much do you want for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What's the story with the crane chain? Do they sell to the public and how much for a 2m length? Almax aren't great for responding to emails

Looks like they do 85 + 23% tax - about €105, theyre in cookstown in tallaght
    4K662NIl.png

Almax chains are thicker though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Idleater, would an almax chain go through it, and if yes, do you have the drill bit that goes with it? Oh and how much do you want for it?

I can root it out tomorrow, I bought it along with the series 4 almax, but used an esb post as a ground anchor instead.
    Would €50 be reasonable?
    If anyone needs 1m series 4 almax chain, I can sell that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

I have the same anchor installed and still have the drill bit for it. Size 16 I think.

If you get the anchor and he doesn't have the drill bit let me know.

Idleater Yea 50's fine, I'll pm you. Oh and cheers for the offer goodlad, not sure whether or not he has it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Ideal how much for the chain? 1st refusal plz.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

^^^
    Doubt you'd get an almax chain through it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Goodlad is right it's a size 16 -but try to use the drill bit they give you and not a generic... I had problems fitting mine -first time the M12 expanding bolt went in but didnt catch and would not expand. Did it again, used a different drill bit, made the hole a bit too big and it nearly didnt catch - but it did in the end.

However my as3hole management company complained and I had to take it out. Thankfully I've now found a new place in a corner, so plan to put it back in, to the wall this time.

Many drills wont take a 16mm drill bit - and the SDS one I tried had a different dead on it so would not work..

Once it's in it works well though

Zascar, I thought these yokes were unmovable? Had you it fully installed? Or did you make a bollíx of it :D
    Ive got a normal household drill, would I need something more substantial? Thanks for the advice man

Zascar, I thought these yokes were unmovable? Had you it fully installed? Or did you make a bollíx of it :D
    Ive got a normal household drill, would I need something more substantial? Thanks for the advice man

I used a normal drill for the anchor out my back just fine.

But when installing the anchor out front with the same drill an same drill bit it hadn't a hope of working! I borrowed an sds drill from a neighbor and that went through the concrete like a hot knife through butter.

Whats an sds drill?

Whats an sds drill?

• Advertisement

Still dont know what it is, but I need one of these badly, I'd be drillin the shít out of the house. You want speakers mounted to your wall, let me get the sds out!! I'm throwing out my drills, you've put me wide to something I never knew I needed and now cant live without ! :D
    Must resist temptation

Thankfully No I didn't hammer the cap on - so I was able to remove it fairly easy. I had a feeling there might be a problem so I left it off so I was able to get at the nut - thank fook - as I would have been in serious trouble if not!

I was thinking that alright :) why didn't you hammer the cap on by the way? Sort of sounds like you'd already drilled in the apartment complex and then thought you'd better ask for approval from the management company, and they said no!
    Could be wrong though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Looks like they do 85 + 23% tax - about €105, theyre in cookstown in tallaght
    4K662NIl.png

Almax chains are thicker though

I wonder if they sell chain without the shít stuck to either end?

nightster1 wrote: »

Nay the U bolt that stanless steel is just like a chain link wouldnt put to much faith in that TBH.

I got a very good Parkland SDS drill in Aldi not too long ago for buttons cheap. And I have used it to drill holes into concrete more then 8" down. But try to get a hammer action on it if you can.....Skill if you stuck you can borrow my drill no probs I have a couple of sds drill bits also.

It says without shorteners, which I presume those yellow yokes are. I'll give en a em on Monday see what the score is. They also do 16mm chain for a fraction of the cost, the website isn't ultra clear on the difference.

Cheers Wonda, I'm gonna see how this plays out first, not sure whether your offer will stand after tomorrows match haha

Cheers Wonda, I'm gonna see how this plays out first, not sure whether your offer will stand after tomorrows match haha

Ahh its all good. Its a win win for me.....but I hope the Dubs sneak it. ;)

• Advertisement

So I noticed Zascar had created a thread in the gardening section!!
    which was very much related to my thread here. Anyways, here's how I learned how to drill a hole through a wall :)

Its in, and it aint coming out!!

My tools :
    1. SDS Drill - McQuillans Caple st €100
    2. 20mm SDS drillbit Chadwicks Thomas Street €10
    3. A fair few ruined m12s
    4. The one that worked was from all metal fastners in Finglas, which had to have the normal bolt swapped out for a allen key head bolt.
    5. 50 cent to superglue over the allen key bolt, cause it came up to high and couldnt smack the provided cap down over it.

Now I just have to get some crane chain, to keep the bike a bit away from the front wall, stop passers bye havin a nosey.

It may seem a tad on the expensive side, just to drill a hole, but it was never going to get the better of me :D and now I have some kick ass tools!

IMrX95Zl.jpg

Zascar, if you want me to get you the same m12 and lend you the few bits and pieces you're more than welcome

Advertisement