Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ground Anchor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Very Nice Skill. Cant believe the company ship the anchor with the wrong drill bit:mad:

If I ever have a bike worth robbing ill get the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Not so sure that the wrong bit was supplied, possibly you need an sds drill with a girth of 20mm to install it though.
    !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Nice work, did you check the other side of the wall to check it didn't go through:P:P:P

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I got mine in tonight also

S5lOP.jpg

Zascar wrote: »
    I got mine in tonight also

S5lOP.jpg

What about the anchor? :D

• Advertisement

Did the cap not go on for you?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I have not put it on yet. Going to wait a few weeks just in case my management company kick off again. If I hammer the cap on and they want me to take it out, I'm in trouble..

Whats to stop someone just unwinding it with an allen key? Or once the bolt has been expanded, is that it, stuck forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Zascar if you can put the chain through the back wheel not the front....much more secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Zascar if you can put the chain through the back wheel not the front....much more secure.

I was thinking the same myself, ideally it should be going through the swing arm and stick a disk lock or something on the front wheel

The more deterants you have the better Colly.

The front wheel is very easily removed mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

Yeah, I always go through the back wheel now. Takes an extra 5 seconds to push the bike in. Throw a disc lock on the front too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Just a quick question on this ground anchor, from what i can see its just secured to the wall via one bolt. have the right size socket and easily remove it or does it come with some other secure cover that covers the bolt?

Yes there is a cap that you hammer on to cover the bolt, and when you do - it's not coming off again. I just left mine off in case my fkn management company complain again, but I'll put it on soon. Yes might start pushing the bike in backwards. The thing with any of these things though it it's only ever a deterrent.

I have two of these with a chain around each wheel. Not the best anchor you can get obviously based on price, but still decent enough. Secured to the ground/wall with two M10 expanding bolts, which are provided with ball bearings to hammer into hex head to make them tamper proof. I also have the bike behind a locked side door.

Not bad at £13 each. Or you can get them in Woodies for €40!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sterling-GA1-Locks-Ground-Anchor/dp/B001LQ53WW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I have two of these with a chain around each wheel. Not the best anchor you can get obviously based on price, but still decent enough. Secured to the ground/wall with two M10 expanding bolts, which are provided with ball bearings to hammer into hex head to make them tamper proof. I also have the bike behind a locked side door.

Not bad at £13 each. Or you can get them in Woodies for €40!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sterling-GA1-Locks-Ground-Anchor/dp/B001LQ53WW

I use more or less the same one, bought it on ebay for a few quid ~ cheap as chips. But I also use a disc lock and a U lock, plus I've two cars blocking my gates so I'm feeling pretty secure.

This is my finished deal, crane chain' n 'all

q5otSHsl.jpg

JVgcYNE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Looks good, but I reckon a pair of bolt croppers would snap that chain off in about 20s
    Get an Almax chain and get it off the ground

I was going to say - the locks don't seem that great. When Iw as buying mine the guy said those types are easily broken. Best to get one like this - they are harder to cut. Then again, you have 3 locks, most thieves will just say fuk it I'll rob something easier. All of this is just preventative measures anyway.

Not sure about that man, its crane chain that can lift up 12.6 tonne. Heavy as Fúck, already have an almax chain going through the frame and rear wheel secured by the squire lock. The chaps (haha) in the crane shop reckon its bolt cutter proof.

Z, theres another lock on the front :)

Z, the crane chain doesn't loop into each link like one you've shown, it needs to be attached side by side.

Z both of those locks are Kryptonite, the dear ones :)

• Advertisement

Not sure about that man, its crane chain that can lift up 12.6 tonne. Heavy as Fúck, already have an almax chain going through the frame and rear wheel secured by the squire lock. The chaps (haha) in the crane shop reckon its bolt cutter proof.

Z, theres another lock on the front :)

Z, the crane chain doesn't loop into each link like one you've shown, it needs to be attached side by side.

Z both of those locks are Kryptonite, the dear ones :)

Hear what you are saying, fair enough - didn't realise you had an almax too - personally I'd be using the almax and squire padlock with the anchor, the squire is a more secure lock than the krypto ones.
    I'm sure they reckon its cropper proof, but has it been tested?!
    As Z says though, I think with the pure amount of security they would probably just walk on to an easier target, too much hassle unless they absolutely want it, then nothing would stop them :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

As far as i know crane chain is not hardened.

Its seriously strong for the purpose of holding weight but when it comes to a cutters it will eat through it.

Not so sure about that man, they have a fairly sturdy chain breaking machine up there, and it certainly didn't slice through it, I think it is hardened, and ciaran up there said a bolt cutter won't go through it. It seems legit

If you're happy - I'm happy! :pac::D

Not so sure about that man, they have a fairly sturdy chain breaking machine up there, and it certainly didn't slice through it, I think it is hardened, and ciaran up there said a bolt cutter won't go through it. It seems legit

Get a bolt cutters and try and go through the end link. :pac:
    I'd get some sort of sleeve for it, putting that through your wheel every day will end up chipping the paint.
    Which padlock is better, the squire or the kryptonite? I'd say the squire, so I'd put that on the lower lock.
    But the higher lock should be hard to break, harder to get leverage on a boltcutters onto it.

Haha, never happy, but this is from their site
    As the official Thiele agent for Ireland, Chain & Rope Suppliers ltd have available from stock a large range of grade 80 chain. Our grade 80 chain range is thru-hardened for maximum resistance to distortion, gouging, and wear. This is an ideal combination for grade 100 alloy steel chain sling fabrication.

And as I said, the bolt cutting machine they have up there didn't slice through it like a hot knife through butter!

by the by, I emailed Almax for a price on a 3 metre chain plus lock, plus delivery and they never came back.

As the official Thiele agent for Ireland, Chain & Rope Suppliers ltd have available from stock a large range of grade 80 chain. Our grade 80 chain range is thru-hardened for maximum resistance to distortion, gouging, and wear. This is an ideal combination for grade 100 alloy steel chain sling fabrication.

And as I said, the bolt cutting machine they have up there didn't slice through it like a hot knife through butter!

by the by, I emailed Almax for a price on a 3 metre chain plus lock, plus delivery and they never came back.

I emailed Almax twice and used their website contact form and I havent got anything back. I just want a price on shipping. Parking the bike in Finglas sometimes, I need something good

Ok I'm playing devils advocate here, but thru hardened isn't a good thing for security - not gonna say on here why but it's not hard to find out...

Haha, thats it, I give up, I'm unlocking everything and leaving the keys in the ignition. :)

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    I emailed Almax twice and used their website contact form and I havent got anything back. I just want a price on shipping. Parking the bike in Finglas sometimes, I need something good

I always found it best to ring them - I could pick one up and bring back for you as I'm over there for a couple of weeks with the car, back on 16th

;)

Advertisement