Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-01-2012, 18:34   #181
The Hill Billy
Einsamer Geissehirt

Am hoping to go to the new Windmill Seafood & Steakhouse in Skerries this weekend. Will be dropping Mrs Billy a hint or two about it as a birthday treat.

If it is anything like The Grill @ Ollies (same proprietor) it should live up to expectation.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-01-2012, 10:41   #182
sgarvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hill Billy View Post
Am hoping to go to the new Windmill Seafood & Steakhouse in Skerries this weekend. Will be dropping Mrs Billy a hint or two about it as a birthday treat.

If it is anything like The Grill @ Ollies (same proprietor) it should live up to expectation.
100% agree.

Hope to make it over myself soon. Doubt it will be this weekend tough
Thanks from:
26-01-2012, 11:01   #183
dcr22B

Booked in for my birthday dinner in "The Windmill" on Sunday, can't wait!
Thanks from:
27-01-2012, 14:12   #184
Khannie
Mister Monster

Where is this new Windmill place?

We're heading out tonight. Isabella's. I love that place.
27-01-2012, 14:14   #185
The Hill Billy
Einsamer Geissehirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khannie View Post
Where is this new Windmill place?

We're heading out tonight. Isabella's. I love that place.
Through the double-doors between Ollie's Place & The Snug on New Street.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-01-2012, 14:37   #186
weatherfish

Hi has anybody tried Brascos restaurant on skerries harbour i tried to book for last night but they were full (always a good sign)
29-01-2012, 22:42   #187
dcr22B

Mrs DCR and myself were in "The Windmill" tonight, let's just say it was bloody fantastic.

We couldn't forgoe the wings for starters but I'll be having the ribs the next time I'm out there.

For the main course, herself had an 8oz fillet steak which was cooked perfect and with a brilliant choice of up to three sides. I ordered the seabass which was Caroline's twist on fish and chips (the chips are fennel chips which are cooked in batter), in my best MDMA "unbelievable"!

No room for dessert as there were some lovely crisps snacks while we waited for starters and some freshly baked bread that was savage.

The decor is lovely and I really hope that it works out for Caroline and crew.
29-01-2012, 23:16   #188
The Hill Billy
Einsamer Geissehirt

And a Happy Birthday to you too!

Ended up going to Indie Spice in Swords after my birthday treat of seeing Happy Feet 2.

Great value Sunday deals & the food was fab.
07-02-2012, 13:17   #189
Jimdagym

Right, I know it is a far cry from a restaurant, but I see that Abrakebabra in Castlemill Balbriggan had that white foam gone from the inside of the windows. Does anyone know if it is actually going to reopen? It had a sign on it for a long time saying closed for renovation but nothing appeared to be done to it.

I quite like abrakebabra, and the last one there was awful, so I would be very happy to see it reopen.
Advertisement
08-02-2012, 15:07   #190
larko

Went to Windmill on Sunday. disappointed. I'll start with good points decor is lovely but I think they could have made better use of the space (they had to turn away two couples, which is mad in these times). The menu has lots of choice on it but they had run out of t bones and 10oz steaks and that was at 7pm on Sunday.

The food was good quality if a little pricey for the portion of the mains, starters were perfect. Staff were quietly arguing with each other a number of times which was strange and I felt we were being rushed. I'm a notoriously fast eater but even I couldn't manage to finish my starter before I was asked TWICE was I done>

The Windmill has great potential but definitely could improve. Not sure if I would go back in saying that, which I'm sad to say.
08-02-2012, 15:52   #191
Mr.Wemmick

Rather than start another thread, can I jump in here and ask if any of you have a child-friendly recommendation for Sunday lunch in Skerries?

I have read over your great recommendations on here but worry about bringing kids into a place unless it is family friendly..

Thanks
08-02-2012, 15:59   #192
Frank Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Wemmick View Post
Rather than start another thread, can I jump in here and ask if any of you have a child-friendly recommendation for Sunday lunch in Skerries?

I have read over your great recommendations on here but worry about bringing kids into a place unless it is family friendly..

Thanks
Blue Bar would be child friendly. Great food aswell.
Thanks from:
08-02-2012, 16:37   #193
PaulD77

Hi Larko,
Sorry to hear you were disappointed. I wasn’t there on Sunday evening myself, but will be sure to bring this up with all the staff.
Let me just reply in reference to some points you made.
On utilizing the space, we looked at putting in more tables, but the shape of the rooms would mean that the tables would be on top of each other then and this would annoy people more. The layout of the room is and will continue to be under review.
On running out of T-Bone and 10oz fillets, I can only apologize for this as it was completely out of our control. We were let down big time by our supplier and are putting measures in place to make sure that this does not happen again.
I find it strange that you say it is a bit pricey for portion size on the mains. Since we have opened, speaking to regulars from other places we have ran, the general consensus was that the portions were way too big
On feeling as you were being rushed, as I said I will bring this up with the floor staff. I certainly don’t think that they were trying to rush you, maybe over enthusiastic, which I will work on, but they weren’t trying to turn the table as we finish at 9 on Sundays.
We hope to see you back soon as we are only open 10 days and appreciate feedback like you have given so we can only improve.
Many Thanks
Paul
(3) thanks from:
08-02-2012, 19:29   #194
eh i dunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD77 View Post
Hi Larko,
Sorry to hear you were disappointed. I wasn’t there on Sunday evening myself, but will be sure to bring this up with all the staff.
Let me just reply in reference to some points you made.
On utilizing the space, we looked at putting in more tables, but the shape of the rooms would mean that the tables would be on top of each other then and this would annoy people more. The layout of the room is and will continue to be under review.
On running out of T-Bone and 10oz fillets, I can only apologize for this as it was completely out of our control. We were let down big time by our supplier and are putting measures in place to make sure that this does not happen again.
I find it strange that you say it is a bit pricey for portion size on the mains. Since we have opened, speaking to regulars from other places we have ran, the general consensus was that the portions were way too big
On feeling as you were being rushed, as I said I will bring this up with the floor staff. I certainly don’t think that they were trying to rush you, maybe over enthusiastic, which I will work on, but they weren’t trying to turn the table as we finish at 9 on Sundays.
We hope to see you back soon as we are only open 10 days and appreciate feedback like you have given so we can only improve.
Many Thanks
Paul
Paul

Have you a website/facebook page when i can have a look at the menu. Will definately pay a visit
08-02-2012, 23:15   #195
The Hill Billy
Einsamer Geissehirt

Do a search yourself on FB for 'Windmill Steakhouse'. As Paul knows - it is forbidden to advertise here - even upon request.

tHB

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion