Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident in Phoenix Park this morning

Options
  • 11-01-2012 12:24pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Accident happend about 50-100 meters in front of me in the park this morning. Cyclist hit a pedestrian walking in the cycle lane. Sun was low and straight on and he didnt see her. Have to say I didnt see it happen as I was blinded as well but stopped when I came up to it.

Lots of blood and 2 very shaken up people. Couple of other people who saw it happen stopped as well. I rang the ambulance, work and family for the cyclist someone else did the same of pedestrian. Ambulance and a fire engine turned up and carted them off. Nasty cuts to both heads, cyclist was wearing a helmet but he got cut just below the eyebrow. OPW picked up his bike and stored it for him.

So moral is watch your self's out there...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I train a lot in the park and with the road works at the moment I end up on the cycle lane a bit. Usually at night time, joggers hear me or see their growing shadow ahead of them from my lights and move to one side of the path to it's safe to overtake them at speed. We are both training I have no problem with these guys.

I am surprised accident don't happen more often during the day with walkers though. They are not as used to it and react differently from the joggers.

I hope both are well.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mtdelany

I have to say, although i have sympathy for the person above, I do hate pedestrians who walk on cycle lanes,

i commute along the North Quays from the East link bridge, and more often than not, I have to cycle on the "footpath" because of the amount of walkers on the cycle lane. Especially outside citibank.

it is a lesson for town planners that people will always walk the shortest distance from A-B, whereas cyclists dont mid traveling the extra 5 meters

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

mtdelany wrote: »
    I have to say, although i have sympathy for the person above, I do hate pedestrians who walk on cycle lanes,

i commute along the North Quays from the East link bridge, and more often than not, I have to cycle on the "footpath" because of the amount of walkers on the cycle lane. Especially outside citibank.

it is a lesson for town planners that people will always walk the shortest distance from A-B, whereas cyclists dont mid traveling the extra 5 meters

Yeah I think pedestrians in the park take the piss but at the same time it is very badly laid out for both pedestrians and cyclists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

moral is dont walk in the cycle lane &helmets dont protect you forehead from knocks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Scamaill

Run there regularly. It can be dangerous...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

during the Summer I decided to cycle on the footpath in the park because the cycle path was full of dog walkers, power walkers and joggers.
    it seemed safer to use the footpath, I'd slow down to 10km/h coming behind any walkers which there wasnt many of, some aul lad muttered something at me about' I should use the cycle lane' when I went by, was with a friend so just went on my way because I didnt want any grief.

moral is dont walk in the cycle lane &helmets dont protect you forehead from knocks?

it was his eye not forehead. pedestrian it was her forehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

...I do hate pedestrians who walk on cycle lanes
    Rew wrote: »
    Yeah I think pedestrians in the park take the piss ...
    As a daily walker in the Phoenix park one thing should be pointed out. When it rains the foot path floods completly under inches of water.
    In the event of rain, pedestrains are unable to use the footpath and have only the road or the cycle path to walk on.

That said, the path isn't flooded today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

I find this hard to believe. But Im guessing the pedestrian was walking in the same direction and the cyclist had removed the peak from their helmet.
    A peaked helmet or hat is very useful when the sun is low or if you have to commute in the dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Zulu wrote: »
    As a daily walker in the Phoenix park one thing should be pointed out. When it rains the foot path floods completly under inches of water.
    In the event of rain, pedestrains are unable to use the footpath and have only the road or the cycle path to walk on.

It should also be said that the areas where the path doesnt flood (path up to Ashtown Gate), that many walkers will prefer to use the more ample space and better surfaced cycle lane.

IMHO, it just isnt worth cycling on the cycle lanes in the park, unless it is very early morning. Way too much hassle.

• Advertisement

I find this hard to believe. But Im guessing the pedestrian was walking in the same direction and the cyclist had removed the peak from their helmet.
    A peaked helmet or hat is very useful when the sun is low or if you have to commute in the dark.

No, he had a peak and sunglasses (crash took the lenses out of them!). Couldn't tell you her direction of travel, he was going towards town.

The sun was very low and directly in your eyes looking down towards town. Had been overcast upuntill a few mins earlier as well.

Zulu wrote: »

Haven't noticed the flooding my self have to say. I think many walkers/joggers just don't care. I think many don't even notice it is a cycle lane. Others don't want to climb over the low fence and/or walk across the grass.

It's poorly designed, poorly regulated and poorly maintained.

I used to use the main avenue before and get abused by drivers (who aren't even being held up).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Lets hope the pedestrian and cyclist are ok apart from a few scuffs and bruises....

The guy on the bike must have been going a far whack and the pedestrian must have stepped out fairly quickly otherwise this should have been avoidable..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I think many don't even notice it is a cycle lane. Others don't want to climb over the low fence and/or walk across the grass.

It's poorly designed, poorly regulated and poorly maintained.
    +1

Friend and I were walking through the park last year as we were walking the DCM route for a laugh. I'm not at all familiar with the park, so I can't tell you exactly where we were, just on the main avenue somewhere. Happily walking along the cycle lane until two mildly pissed-off cyclists informed us that it was a cycle lane. We both moved then. Honestly had no idea. The path beside the road is normally the footpath, didn't occur to me that the actual footpath was several yards to my left and the other side of a fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

I was cycling in the phoenix park on Monday night towards town. I had a near miss with a pedesterian, last second I spotted him and did a sudden swerve onto the grass to avoid him. What annoyed me was he was walking towards me and should have been able to see me from a distance (bright flashing light), and he did not budge. I looked back and he continued to walk on the cycle path.
    To be fair, most people step aside and at least joggers usually have reflective clothing so easier to spot, he was very hard to see.
    I think I'll leave my front light on full beam from now on going through there.

I had a motorbike pass me in the cyclelane in the park twice before christmas, wasn't happy to use the diversions it seems... His reg plate was conveniently covered in mud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've had a few near misses at night in the phoenix park, with ninja walkers and joggers. One of the reasons I upgraded all might lights.

During the day less so but pedestrians are a little unpredictable.

The paths are poorly laid out and sign posted. People are naturally led to the cycle path if they park beside it. On a very windy day I've often thought the walking path is more sheltered and would be easier on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

so sorry to hear about this crash and i hope both parties make a speedy recovery. as a cyclist who uses the park alot both onroad and off road i am amazed that this type of accident doesnt occur on a weekly basis. last summer i was talking to two female work colleagues about exercising in the park and they said that they would never run on the walkers path,, i asked them was that because they didnt feel safe there and they said ...No.. they only jogged on the cyclepath in the park because that way they got noticed by passing traffic and young men.. they basically only wanted to show them selves off.. i was disgusted

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

why dont you cycle on the road?the surface on the majority of the north quays is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

miketv wrote: »
    I had a near miss with a pedesterian, last second I spotted him and did a sudden swerve onto the grass to avoid him.

Same happened to me during the week.

It's pretty dark and I'd say it's hard for pedestrians to see the bicycle logos on the ground. They've also no light on the footpath areas which are even darker.

I'd say some extra lighting and some better signage would help.

• Advertisement

Tomred13 wrote: »
    so sorry to hear about this crash and i hope both parties make a speedy recovery. as a cyclist who uses the park alot both onroad and off road i am amazed that this type of accident doesnt occur on a weekly basis. last summer i was talking to two female work colleagues about exercising in the park and they said that they would never run on the walkers path,, i asked them was that because they didnt feel safe there and they said ...No.. they only jogged on the cyclepath in the park because that way they got noticed by passing traffic and young men.. they basically only wanted to show them selves off.. i was disgusted

Sorry you're gonna need post photos for that one... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mtdelany

why dont you cycle on the road?the surface on the majority of the north quays is fantastic

Because there is a cycle path :eek:

Also, the new paving is only 6mths old, and I have being cycling in about 6 yrs

I think many ignore the cycle path because often the road is more efficient, and puts you in a better (safer/easier) position for junctions. Oh and your not blocked by pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I genuinely think the problem could be quickly solved by swapping the two. (Move the bike lane in and the footpad :) out).

Walkers prefer the bike lanes in the Phoenix Park because:
    1. They are more out in the open / less under trees. Get more sun in good weather.
    2. More importantly, if you get out of your car the nearest long strip of tarmac that isn't the road is the cycle lane. It feels natural for them to walk on it. Crossing grass etc to get to the other path is hard to enforce. Ridiculous, but I think it's true.

On the other hand if cyclists had a good surface on the inner path with no peds would they mind? I know I wouldn't! Perhaps I'm overlooking something here.. but I can't think of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Basster wrote: »
    I genuinely think the problem could be quickly solved by swapping the two. (Move the bike lane in and the footpad :) out).

This is exactly how it used to be. Years ago when the OPW first put cycle paths alongside the main road of the Park it was the ones between the trees they used, i.e., the ones that are now the footpads. For some reason they swapped the two paths. I think you're right and that they made a mistake when they swapped them.

The other paths - the ones between the trees - were actually much better as cycle paths. They're further away from the junctions with the main road, so turning vehicles are less of a worry. They also have smoother transitions where they cross the side roads - you never had those dips and kerbstones to negotiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Haven't noticed the flooding my self have to say.
    From the tea rooms at the zoo up as far as the Aras floods badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Basster wrote: »

Wouldn't work, particularly when it comes to dogs. People won't want to walk with dogs alongside the road, and dogs, as great as they are, aren't intelligent enough to realise that they shouldn't run back and forth from the footpath across the cycle lane into the fun trees and high grass.

If you want to go fast use the road. If you happy taking it easy, use the cycle path. A bell works wonders most of the time. A night get a decent light. Park is very dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Wouldn't work, particularly when it comes to dogs. People won't want to walk with dogs alongside the road, and dogs, as great as they are, aren't intelligent enough to realise that they shouldn't run back and forth from the footpath across the cycle lane into the fun trees and high grass.

Fenton! Fenton! Jesus Christ, Fenton!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

ThisRegard wrote: »

People walk dogs beside the road absolutely everywhere else. All other footpaths are beside the road. And your post assumes dogs aren't on leads I'm guessing(?), which is a whole other issue.

Advertisement