Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident in Phoenix Park this morning

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Well, the cyclist in question went back to work on Monday. A couple of stitches needed. The pedestrians state is unknown, she may have needed to stay overnight as a precaution. But aside from that all seems to be well, there's been no news to the contrary.

The chap on the bike does indeed cycle very fast, new bike too. But it was a freak accident really. He didn't see her because of the sunlight and she didn't see him either (don't know why). And that's how these things happen.

He's had a read through this but probably isn't going to comment... I certainly wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Seems like a good reason for cake and more cycling gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 silentfox

I agree, it's very annoying when there's people walking on the cycle paths, especially when there's a perfectly good path in among the trees.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but another bad cycle lane in the park is the one on the North Road by the Garda HQ. Terrible surface, and as there's no lane on the other side of the road, many people think it is a two-way lane and cycle INTO traffic. Very dangerous!!

And finally, the cycle lane on Chesterfield Avenue just before Parkgate St is always filled with parked cars. Drivers do not seem to have any respect for cycle lanes etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I was slaloming pedestrians in there today, it was crazy they were all walking a diferent sides of the lane. One girl blatently saw me and still decided to go out into the cycle lane and have me pass a few inches off her elbow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

silentfox wrote: »
    ....And finally, the cycle lane on Chesterfield Avenue just before Parkgate St is always filled with parked cars. Drivers do not seem to have any respect for cycle lanes etc.

For me the issue there is to catch the lights so you get a massive downhill all the way to the lights at Aisling hotel. Great when you get it right.

The cycle lane at that bit of the park has no surface, so I generally stay out a good bit there. TBH I didn't think it was a cycle lane, just a parking lane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

BostonB wrote: »
    ....And finally, the cycle lane on Chesterfield Avenue just before Parkgate St is always filled with parked cars. Drivers do not seem to have any respect for cycle lanes etc.

For me the issue there is to catch the lights so you get a massive downhill all the way to the lights at Aisling hotel. Great when you get it right.

The cycle lane at that bit of the park has no surface, so I generally stay out a good bit there. TBH I didn't think it was a cycle lane, just a parking lane.

It is an on-road cycle lane now, but it seems they just painted over the very poor surface, which was fine for parking but not for cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Lumen wrote: »
    Just because you state something as fact doesn't make it true.

The lanes are not exclusively for the use of cyclists, whether you like it or not.

so by that logic roads aren't exclusively for cars, but when i use the road on my bike, i know well enough to keep in to the left and I sure as hell don't walk aimlessly down the middle of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 silentfox

So when a car driver yells at me to get off the road and onto the pedestrian path, what should I say?

Cycle paths are for cyclists, not pedestrians. That's why they are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

stevieob wrote: »
    so by that logic roads aren't exclusively for cars, but when i use the road on my bike, i know well enough to keep in to the left and I sure as hell don't walk aimlessly down the middle of them!

There are questions about the status of the cycle lanes in the Phoenix Park in particular that make the comparison less clear cut. Of course, legal ≠ common sense.
    So when a car driver yells at me to get off the road and onto the pedestrian path, what should I say?

Cycle paths are for cyclists, not pedestrians. That's why they are there.

You should ignore the drivers shouting at you, or just be as careful as you would around any aggressively wrongheaded eejit in a speedy blunt weapon :) As above, it's not clear whether or not the cycle paths inside the Park in fact are "for cyclists, not pedestrians".

Advertisement