Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayor of Limerick wants deportation of EU-nationals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

PaulieD wrote: »
    Show me one racist statement I have made. All my posts are backed up with facts and figures. As for your off the cuff remark about child benefit, heres one for you. On a spot check of 2000 new claimants they found that 10% were claiming the benefit while not living in the country i.e. fraudulent claims. Also an earlier sampling of Children's Allowance found an 800% greater incidence of fraud among immigrants, the fraud level among non-nationals was 13% compared to around 1.5% among Irish nationals.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/0721/1216565492868.html

first of all - I would suggest the lecture of wikipedia to find out what the following terms mean: deportation, repatriation

second: I asked a simple question: "what a foreign nationals are entitled to when coming into Ireland". your answer was rent allowance, which is untrue

and yes, you are racist, and this is why:
    since Ireland joined the EU the basic rules and regulations remains the same. that means people are entitled to live wherever the hell they want. and to differentiate between the Irish and "those foreigners" when talking about the entitlements (or anything else for that matter) is RACISM

whatever you or other lowlife says, you cannot cut any of MY and "those bloody foreigners" entitlements. we can claim rent allowance, child benefit, jobseekers benefit, family income supplement, and whatever else I want. as long as, YOU - Irish people, and those who represents you fix the law. because it's the Irish system that is flawed, not those people doing their best to get as much as they can ou of it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

zuroph wrote: »
    I'm much more concerned about my money going to the crime gangs and irish scum, than the foreigners. The long-term pyjama wearing jacintas.

They are our problem. Per capita, foreigners are more reliant on state benefits. Thats a fact. We do have a social problem with drug dealers, alcoholics and scumbags. No doubt. But importing vast throngs of poor people to live amongst the native poor, isnt a good idea.

In time, history will judge recent mass immigration into Ireland as an absolute disaster. Remember, only Sweden, UK, and ourselves opened up the doors to the eastern euros after accession. The other two nations are already well and truly up sh!t creek because of their immigration policies. Looks like we are going to join them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

The poor sod working is being taxed to the hilt to subsidise people in receipt of welfare. By targeting foreign nationals and those who were in receipt during the good times, Mary Hanifin would have her three billion saved. And then some.

FYP ... seriously ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Have to pick you up on this disgraceful remark. Hand in your passport. Move to Poland. Renounce your citizenship. A disgraceful and disgusting remark that can only be construed as anti Irish racism. If I said the same about Poland and the German occupation or Nigeria and the British colonialists, I would be banned from this site with haste.
    Lol. Thats the beauty of being allowed have my own opinion. I intend to move away as soon as I can, I don't want to be paying money for the jacintas any more. I'll choose where to move within the EU, such is the beauty of open borders. Not only does it let "d foreigners" move here, It lets me leave this disgusting hole of inbreeding behind, to rot and collapse. We're not even 100 years into independence and we've destroyed the place.
    I'll miss some people, but I'll not miss most of ye.

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    and yes, you are racist, and this is why:
    since Ireland joined the EU the basic rules and regulations remains the same. that means people are entitled to live wherever the hell they want. and to differentiate between the Irish and "those foreigners" when talking about the entitlements (or anything else for that matter) is RACISM

You are a foreigner. You are not native to this land. I am. I am an Irishman. Can you not tell the difference? How is differenciating from the two "racist"? Ive been the victim of real racism, pal. In my own land. And it aint pretty.
    whatever you or other lowlife says, you cannot cut any of MY and "those bloody foreigners" entitlements.

Wanna come back to me on that after the budget? Your scratcher will be cut. PS this lowlife pays for your 204 euro a week. No need to be rude.
    we can claim rent allowance, child benefit, jobseekers benefit, family income supplement, and whatever else I want. as long as, YOU - Irish people, and those who represents you fix the law. because it's the Irish system that is flawed, not those people doing their best to get as much as they can ou of it

I know you can claim every benefit under the sun. Thats the problem. I never wanted to open the floodgates in the first place. Over 500,000 eastern europeans arrived here. Sheer lunacy.

The vast majority want an end to mass immigration. A recent opinion poll concluded that 72% of Irish people want most or some immigrants to return home.

• Advertisement

zuroph wrote: »
    I'll miss some people, but I'll not miss most of ye.

I am sure the feeling will be mutual.

FYP ... seriously ;)

Have you a point to make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

so, Paulie, let's summarize:
    - since Ireland joined the EU, you have received billions of euros for development
    - you have used those friggin imigrants to do all the sorts of jobs, none of you "true Irish people" wanted to do
    - none of the politicians and all regular folks never said anything when billions of euros were pumped back into your Irish economy by 500.000 imigrants (in PRSI, PAYE, rent, bills, etc)

and now, suddenly (years after you should in first place) you realised that it's the Irish system that is pure CRAP, and to have the peace restored you want to get rid of those people, who helped build your beautiful country in last 10 or so years?

please, grow up. you can moan as much as you can, but we will stay here. and if you want to cut any of our entitlements, you need to start with yourselves - we are only a small fracture of all in recepit of any kind of benefits (and I am not mentioning who in this country is the biggest fraud).

as long as the "proud Irish nation" can't see it's their own legislation is what causes the problem, people like you and many others will try to find the reason elsewhere.

so, Paulie, let's summarize:
    - since Ireland joined the EU, you have received billions of euros for development

They got free access to our natural resources. Tell me this, what do we owe eastern europeans?
    - you have used those friggin imigrants to do all the sorts of jobs, none of you "true Irish people" wanted to do

Myth. We were well capable of carrying out these jobs ourselves before mass immigration. As a teenager in early 2000s I worked in the largest petrol station in Dublin as a forecourt attendant/ car washer. 90% of the rest of the staff were Irish. Now, a student has little or no chance of picking up a part time job due to mass immigration from eastern europe.
    - none of the politicians and all regular folks never said anything when billions of euros were pumped back into your Irish economy by 500.000 imigrants (in PRSI, PAYE, rent, bills, etc)

Actually, each and every opinion poll on the subject has shown that the majority of Irish people wanted an end to mass immigration.
    and now, suddenly (years after you should in first place) that it's the Irish system that is pure CRAP, and to have the peace restored you want to get rid of those people, who helped build your beautiful country in last 10 or so years?

Myth. The Celtic Tiger kicked off in 1996. Feck all foreigners around then. The foreigners arrived en mass because of the Celtic Tiger, they didnt cause it. Remember, the eastern europeans arrived in 2005/2006. Without them, the property bubble would have burst much sooner. But Fianna Fail needed it to continue to win the election. Without mass immigration, cheap labour and the property bubble, we would not be in the mess we are in now.
    please, grow up. you can moan as much as you can, but we will stay here.

Time will tell. How long do you plan to stay in my country in receipt of handouts?
    and if you want to cut any of our entitlements, you need to start with yourselves - we are only a small fracture of all in recepit of any kind of benefits (and I am not mentioning who in this country is the biggest fraud).

20% of dole receipients are foreigners. 33% of those in rent allowance, are foreigners. Remember my earlier link? Foreigners are 800 times more likely to commit child benefit fraud than Irish citizens. If I remember correctly, the dole has to be picked up in the dole shop each week, due to eastern europeans flying in each month to sign on and get the money sent to their bank account each week. Small fraction, indeed.:rolleyes:
    as long as the "proud Irish nation" can't see it's their own legislation is what causes the problem, people like you and many others will try to find the reason elsewhere.

Mass immigration will be tackled, eventually. The majority can only be silenced for so long. We owe eastern europeans nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭strathspey

Well, I was only born in 1987.
    In 1987 and right up through to the mid 1990's, Ireland's only hope was for it's population to embrace emigration. In fact, Ireland has a very morbid history, right up to the last 15 years....a history full of poverty. I don't recall countries like Argentina and South Africa, with sizable Irish populations expressing a grudge against the influx of Paddies, despite themselves being developing countries.

• Advertisement

Immigrants are 800 times more likely to be involved in child benefit fraud compared to Irish citizens.

Oh, lets just forget that the biggect dole cheats in the UK during the 80's, happened to be Irish.

strathspey wrote: »
    In 1987 and right up through to the mid 1990's, Ireland's only hope was for it's population to embrace emigration. In fact, Ireland has a very morbid history, right up to the last 15 years....a history full of poverty. I don't recall countries like Argentina and South Africa, with sizable Irish populations expressing a grudge against the influx of Paddies, despite themselves being developing countries.

Irish Population 4,000,000. Number of Poles here 200,000. Thats 5% of the population. All in the last four years.

Argentine Population 40,500,000. Number of Irish there 26,000.

South African Population 50,000,000. Number of Irish there 50,000-75,000

Once again, you are not comapring like with like.

Oh, lets just forget that the biggect dole cheats in the UK during the 80's, happened to be Irish.

That makes it alright then? Two wrongs dont make it right.

As far as I am concerned, the Brits owed us. We dont owe anybody a thing, we never colonised any nation.

That makes it alright then? Two wrongs dont make it right.

As far as I am concerned, the Brits owed us. We dont owe anybody a thing, we never colonised any nation.
    God, you are a pathetic Paddy. Your narrow mindedness warrants no further discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You're not doing your argument any favours with comments like that.
    Cool the jets lads, or I'll lock this thread.

God, you are a pathetic Paddy. Your narrow mindedness warrants no further discussion.

Another anti Irish racist. My ignore list is full of them.

Mr E wrote: »
    You're not doing your argument any favours with comments like that.
    Cool the jets lads, or I'll lock this thread.

My point was you cannot take over half the globe and then complain when the natives follow you home. Unlike Britian, we never colonised any other nation. We were a colony ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

My point was you cannot take over half the globe and then complain when the natives follow you home. Unlike Britian, we never colonised any other nation. We were a colony ourselves.
    We did, we just didnt change the flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nearly 100 years ago?
    A different era, Paulie.

Mr E wrote: »
    Nearly 100 years ago?
    A different era, Paulie.

1949 to be exact.

I think you are misinterpreting my point. I am simply pointing out the difference between Irish emigration to the UK and economic immigration into Ireland from eastern europe. Former colonies have a moral and indeed a social obligation to allow migrants enter from former colonies. France with the Algerians. Britain with the Irish/Indians/Nigerians and Belgium with people from the Congo. Ironically, Germany does not allow the Polish free access to their labour market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

"so, Paulie, let's summarize:
    - since Ireland joined the EU, you have received billions of euros for development"

They got free access to our natural resources. Tell me this, what do we owe eastern europeans?

Let's just say we owe them nothing. How much do we owe USA and the EU?
    (If you're wondering we owe USA for the Marshall plan and the EU for funding)

" Originally Posted by fl4pj4ck viewpost.gif
    - you have used those friggin imigrants to do all the sorts of jobs, none of you "true Irish people" wanted to do"

Myth. We were well capable of carrying out these jobs ourselves before mass immigration. As a teenager in early 2000s I worked in the largest petrol station in Dublin as a forecourt attendant/ car washer. 90% of the rest of the staff were Irish. Now, a student has little or no chance of picking up a part time job due to mass immigration from eastern europe.

I'm a student and I find most of my friends don't have jobs. They get through college either by the parents giving them weekly pocket money or state funded grants. Those that do have jobs, only have it to repay the car related bills. They'd find that they wouldn't need a job if they just scrapped the car, many of whom don't need. Most of the foreigners I know working in petrol stations treat that job as their full time job.

*For the record, I think foreigners are treated worse than Irish people. I know that when I used to work for a shop any foreignly named person's cv would be tossed in the bin. I think Irish people are preferred now because of the recession, but when times were good people didn't need to take the bad jobs that the foreigners currently have.

Originally Posted by fl4pj4ck viewpost.gif

Actually, each and every opinion poll on the subject has shown that the majority of Irish people wanted an end to mass immigration.

Talk to Irish people 25 years ago and they would've said that they would've loved how things are now, considering you can now stay in Ireland and find a job.

*EDIT* I took your comment to mean more than it did. Simple economics means that there will be less of a mass immgration in the future. With less available jobs it means alot of people won't bother coming to Ireland to look for work. We don't want a mass emmigration either though because we still haven't reached the population we once had.

and now, suddenly (years after you should in first place) that it's the Irish system that is pure CRAP, and to have the peace restored you want to get rid of those people, who helped build your beautiful country in last 10 or so years?

Myth. The Celtic Tiger kicked off in 1996. Feck all foreigners around then. The foreigners arrived en mass because of the Celtic Tiger, they didnt cause it. Remember, the eastern europeans arrived in 2005/2006. Without them, the property bubble would have burst much sooner. But Fianna Fail needed it to continue to win the election. Without mass immigration, cheap labour and the property bubble, we would not be in the mess we are in now.

No, but foreign investment caused our Celtic Tiger. Oh and let's not forget this caused a mass increase in population due to mass immgration which helped make our land finally worth something, which in turn made alot of Irish people wealthy. Not to mention the Irish wages has finally stopped drastically increasing, due to competition from the new immigrants for jobs including skilled jobs, and thus companies can be more competitive nd made Ireland more of an attractive place to invest, which in turn attracted more investment from foreign companies, which in turn yada yada yada. All because of foreign investment, and immigration we've kept the boom going.

please, grow up. you can moan as much as you can, but we will stay here.

Time will tell. How long do you plan to stay in my country in receipt of handouts?

PaulieD, they have every right to be in this country looking for work as you do. He'll stop taking his entitled handouts when other foreigners stop having to pay Irish taxes.

and if you want to cut any of our entitlements, you need to start with yourselves - we are only a small fracture of all in recepit of any kind of benefits (and I am not mentioning who in this country is the biggest fraud).

20% of dole receipients are foreigners. 33% of those in rent allowance, are foreigners. Remember my earlier link? Foreigners are 800 times more likely to commit child benefit fraud than Irish citizens. If I remember correctly, the dole has to be picked up in the dole shop each week, due to eastern europeans flying in each month to sign on and get the money sent to their bank account each week. Small fraction, indeed.:rolleyes:

Take a look at U2 (I couldn't think of anyone better) and other such high earners. Fair play to them for being that successful, but don't think they don't cheat the system either. They hardly pay any taxes at all and most successful people do it by tax avoidance.

I'd like to hear what your consider foreigners. A person who has lived here for 20 years and recently made redundant? A person who studies here and then goes into work? A person who uses the money to feed their children and send them through school? A person taking dole money and plan on doing nothing with their time? A person who just uses the money to fuel their drinking and drug adictions? or is it a person who is absing the system to make money? These scenarios can be any Irish person, not just foreigners. It's unfair to lump all the foreigners in one basket and blame them. However, it is easier than dealing with actual problems.

Another point, what if these foreigners came over 10 years ago and now has an Irish child. Would that family have to move back or just the child's parents? (I'm presuming you agree with the mayor. I didn't read the whole thread.)

Also, that was what the media outlets fed you. You'll be suprised to learn that Irish people got it transfered to their accounts too while being in a foreign country! :O Truth is the reason this was brought in was for savings. I've two friends would would've gotten the dole straight to their bank account while they were travelling around the world. That rule change now means they can't get it each week.

Tbh, I think the unsourced statistic that you gave just shows how many Irish non nationals get the dole, but it doesn't reflect the contribution some of these people have made to the Irish society.

Mass immigration will be tackled, eventually. The majority can only be silenced for so long. We owe eastern europeans nothing.

The EU owed us nothing, yet helped us.

I really don't want to live in a country if the majority of whom were nothing but racists. (Yes, telling foreigners to go back home because we don't want them here is racist.) Mass immigration will be tackled with mass emmigration eventually due to simple economics, called supply and demand.

Anyone agreeing with the mayor of Limerick, why wouldn't a reduction in the JA/JB and everyone can happily claim and we'd make the savings needed?

Burial wrote: »
    I really don't want to live in a country if the majority of whom were nothing but racists. (Yes, telling foreigners to go back home because we don't want them here is racist.) Mass immigration will be tackled with mass emmigration eventually due to simple economics, called supply and demand.

Anyone agreeing with the mayor of Limerick, why wouldn't a reduction in the JA/JB and everyone can happily claim and we'd make the savings needed?

That was a semi decent post, burial, but then you went and buried yourself by playing the race card. I will get around to responding to the rest tomorrow or during the week. Time for a beve.

Just one last thing, this is simply a numbers game. Poland has a population of 38.5 million relatively poor people, these people were given free access to the labour market of a country of 4 million moderately wealthy people. In 2003 there were a couple of thousand Polish people in the country, some of them here since the second world war. By 2006 there were a quarter of a million of them, thats the equivalent of the entire Mexican population in the US tripling in three years, an influx of 45 million, never mind the rest of the immigrants arriving to Ireland en masse. What sort of an effect would that have on the US, do you think? There are 15 million undocumented/documented Mexicans in America. Its a major issue at the moment. Triple that number and you would have a bloodbath. Literally. Thats what has just happened in Ireland over the past four/five years, and its been relatively trouble free, until now. People now realise that its simply unsustainable. Thats not racism, my friend. Thats common sense. The numbers need to be culled.

I feel that the number of immigrants entering the Irish state should be culled immediately. We could barely absorb them in the good times, and we most certainly cannot afford them now. You can waffle away about NAMA, Anglo Banks, and Bono all you want. Thats not the issue here. Its a strawman at best and just serves to show you have lost the argument.

What we need to do regarding immigration.

-Deport all failed asylum seekers.
    -Deport those on dodgy language school visas.
    -Deport all illegals. Jail the employer. No employer would touch an illegal then.
    -Push for a work permit system to be introduced for citizens of eastern europe ala Germany and Austria.

Thats just for starters. All of the above is perfectly legal.

PPS I would abolish JA and implement a swipe card with x amount each week that can be used for essentials. No booze, no ciggies, no McDonalds. Just the basics. Those on JB paid their stamps, so I would only cut it by 5% but leaving it as a cash benefit. Means test child benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Before were English, now Poles. Who will be next to blame for failures in this country? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Before were English, now Poles. Who will be next to blame for failures in this country? :confused:

The jamaicans

According to this thread, the Irish. We are failures, low lifes, alcoholics and greedy dole leeching junkies according to some posters on this thread. Self hatred is not an endearing feature.

Interesting username, KindOfIrish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭b12mearse

i think its a great idea and its about time somebody spoke out on the issue!

That was a semi decent post, burial, but then you went and buried yourself by playing the race card. I will get around to responding to the rest tomorrow or during the week. Time for a beve.

I didn't bury myself or any arguement I've made by bringing up "the race card". This "race card" was played by anyone who wants people to go back to their home country, because they aren't Irish. I also don't think that bringing up "the race card" would essentially destroy any point I raised.
    Just one last thing, this is simply a numbers game. Poland has a population of 38.5 million relatively poor people, these people were given free access to the labour market of a country of 4 million moderately wealthy people.

If this is simply a numbers game (which it isn't), joining the EU was a bad idea due to roughly 500 million people being able to work within this country.

In 2003 there were a couple of thousand Polish people in the country, some of them here since the second world war. By 2006 there were a quarter of a million of them, thats the equivalent of the entire Mexican population in the US tripling in three years, an influx of 45 million, never mind the rest of the immigrants arriving to Ireland en masse. What sort of an effect would that have on the US, do you think? There are 15 million undocumented/documented Mexicans in America. Its a major issue at the moment. Triple that number and you would have a bloodbath. Literally. Thats what has just happened in Ireland over the past four/five years, and its been relatively trouble free, until now. People now realise that its simply unsustainable. Thats not racism, my friend. Thats common sense. The numbers need to be culled.

If you are getting rid of people because of their nationality, then it doesn't matter how long they have been here. Then the Polish who have been here since the Second World War would be told to go back to a country they left nearly 60 years ago.

America isn't Ireland and doesn't put it in the same light. Especially since Mexicans have to get visas to work as Mexico isn't part of the USA. An equivalent example might've been people from Hawaii going to work in Denver. As far as I know the EU is completly different than how the USA is structured, so people from Hawaii may need a visa to work or whatnot.

Anyway, taking your example, if there is a market for 45 million Mexicans to enter in the US and that they work there, than that's the market. If there wasn't a market people would go elsewhere. The Celtic Tiger brought alot of people back/to Ireland. This recession is going to make people leave or not come over.
    I feel that the number of immigrants entering the Irish state should be culled immediately. We could barely absorb them in the good times, and we most certainly cannot afford them now. You can waffle away about NAMA, Anglo Banks, and Bono all you want. Thats not the issue here. Its a strawman at best and just serves to show you have lost the argument.

I haven't lost this arguement, you haven't posted anything I raised. I'll wait to listen to your proper reply of my post so I can respond. I never waffled or mentioned anything about NAMA, Anglo Bank and the only mention of Bono was about U2 (and it was because it was the only example that came to my mind) and how they try to find legal loopholes to not pay tax, thus causing less money to be taken in by the government. I'm not saying it's the sole solution, but it just the mayors suggestion of sending foreigners home doesn't rest well with me when he'd happily accept Irish people to stay here who avoid paying tax in this country. Not to mention, you were talking about Polish people abusing/cheating the system by getting money transferred to their accounts each week even though they don't live in this country. I'm saying Irish people also abuse and cheat the system. Why should foreigners (Namely EU citizens) be kicked out over the Irish, especially one's who cheat/abuse the system?!

What we need to do regarding immigration.

-Deport all failed asylum seekers.
    -Deport those on dodgy language school visas.
    -Deport all illegals. Jail the employer. No employer would touch an illegal then.
    -Push for a work permit system to be introduced for citizens of eastern europe ala Germany and Austria.

Thats just for starters. All of the above is perfectly legal.

Deportation is the current stance for all illegals, and I believe there is a huge fine and quite possibly a prison sentence for all those empolyers caught.
    I think deporting failed asylum seekers is the norm.
    I think Ireland has some restrictions on Romanian and Bulgarian workers working in Ireland, though these are only in place until 2014 I believe. As far as I know I think it's illegal to introduce any work permit for current members of the EU.

As far as I know, the only thing you've mentioned to curb emmigration is the school visas, and I think (not too sure on this please correct me) the regulation behind them is ok. Like you can only get a part time job and you have to attend/do exams if you go against the rules your visa is revoked and you must leave the country within a certain time. And to the best of my knowledge, these people wouldn't be getting the dole and would have to leave after their studies.
    PPS I would abolish JA and implement a swipe card with x amount each week that can be used for essentials. No booze, no ciggies, no McDonalds. Just the basics. Those on JB paid their stamps, so I would only cut it by 5% but leaving it as a cash benefit. Means test child benefit.

I have no idea what I'd do, but I'd imagine a swipe card would be hard to implement, especially classifing essentials. McDonalds is food and I'm sure they'd object legally for being excluded! What would stop someone buying stuff and returning it straight away for the cash to buy alcohool/cigarettes?! Also, my understanding is that the money people receive for JA is to help them find work by training themselves or giving them enough money to get the required equipment to get them employed again while also providing a bit to live off of. I may be thinking of JA and JB combinded. Sorry that was off topic.

This is Irelands population in graph form:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IrelandRepublicPopulation1841.PNG

As you can see, we as a country, have never recovered from our previous levels due to mainly famines, war and emmigration. Using simple numbers, we are more than capable to take in more people.

*EDIT* Would Irish people who left in 1990, would they be welcome to return to the land they abandoned and claim the dole if they came back in 2009 under your scheme of kicking out foreigners?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Originally Posted by fl4pj4ck View Post

Spot on there Paulie! Was just about to say the exact same thing. Used to work in Tesco and you'd be lucky to find an Irish person (student) working there now. If you ask for something, they dont know or dont understand you and at the best of times all you will get is grunt!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fl4pj4ck View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulieD viewpost.gif
    Spot on there Paulie! Was just about to say the exact same thing. Used to work in Tesco and you'd be lucky to find an Irish person (student) working there now. If you ask for something, they dont know or dont understand you and at the best of times all you will get is grunt!

Let's just assume that your right and all foreigners coming over here can't understand English. Why do you think these non-English speaking foreigners are getting jobs over Irish students? (Hint: They won't complain over the slighest thing, won't quit as easy as Irish students, would hardly ever ask for anything above the minimum wage, they have a reputation of being hard-workers, are willing to work better hours than Irish students, won't come into work hungover, they have a reputation for arriving early for work)

Remember it's a market and they're the Irish students competition. They're offering a better service than the Irish students are offering. If you really dislike foreigners fairly getting jobs over Irish students, then don't shop there.

Also, on PaulieD's comment, we were capable to do the jobs but as noted above, we became less competitve. Another factor is people were unwilling to work some jobs. (Cleaners and Binmen are examples)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Niamh_

Burial wrote: »
    Let's just assume that your right and all foreigners coming over here can't understand English. Why do you think these non-English speaking foreigners are getting jobs over Irish students? (Hint: They won't complain over the slighest thing, won't quit as easy as Irish students, would hardly ever ask for anything above the minimum wage, they have a reputation of being hard-workers, are willing to work better hours than Irish students, won't come into work hungover, they have a reputation for arriving early for work)
    I am also of the view that foreigners should not be deported but you are burying our argument by making mainly untrue arguments about Irish students.
    It's the same as with foreigners, all students are painted with the same brush!

Advertisement