Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayor of Limerick wants deportation of EU-nationals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Auzirish

Personally, i think anyone who is willing to change out of a tracksuit or pajamas to stand in the dole queue, should be more entitled than those that don't. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

Auzirish wrote: »
    Personally, i think anyone who is willing to change out of a tracksuit or pajamas to stand in the dole queue, should be more entitled than those that don't. :D

+1. Well for any one that has any self respect for themselves anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

PaulieD wrote: »
    The man is only saying what everyone is thinking.

Irish Times

THE VAST majority (72 per cent) of people want to see a reduction in the number of non-irish immigrants living here, according to an Irish Times Behaviour Attitudes opinion.

http://pavee.ie/mediamonitor/?p=2574

maybe you have a point. maybe its the VAST majority of this country thats racist

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Paulegend wrote: »
    maybe you have a point. maybe its the VAST majority of this country thats racist

Do you really believe thats true? :rolleyes:

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    Wrong.

How so? They do not have to have worked here for two years to be in receipt of JA. Thats a fact my friend. JA is for those without enough contributions to qualify for JB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Do you really believe thats true? :rolleyes:

in a word...................... totally

im not but know alot that are.

its sick

Paulegend wrote: »
    in a word...................... totally

im not but know alot that are.

its sick

So according to you, Ireland is loike totally racist. Ok, no wonder we have absorbed and accepted barely any immigrants over the last decade. Oh no, wait..... we have just absorbed more immigrants per capita in the last ten years, than France did over the past fifty years.

You are spouting nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Niamh_

Just because Ireland has taken in a lot of immigrants in the past few years, it does not mean there is a lot of racism. I would not think it is as high as 75% but it is quite prevalent. I'm always shocked when people who are otherwise lovely and kind people, make insulting remarks on a persons colour.
    It has became more common since the recession has happened. People didn't mind when they were doing jobs that many Irish people believed they were too good for.
    Not that all Irish people are like this. And it's definitely not 75%. In fact I think that they are in the minority. Unfortunately it gives the rest of us a bad reputation.
    I also want to point out that it is not a generation thing. Many young people are racist even though they have grown up in a more multi cultural society. Many older people, who would not have had much experience with other races growing up, are extremely open-minded.
    As I said, most Irish people are not racist. Also most immigrants are lovely people. On both sides though, it is the few that give the others a bad name.

Niamh_ wrote: »
    Just because Ireland has taken in a lot of immigrants in the past few years, it does not mean there is a lot of racism. I would not think it is as high as 75% but it is quite prevalent. I'm always shocked when people who are otherwise lovely and kind people, make insulting remarks on a persons colour.
    It has became more common since the recession has happened. People didn't mind when they were doing jobs that many Irish people believed they were too good for.
    Not that all Irish people are like this. And it's definitely not 75%. In fact I think that they are in the minority. Unfortunately it gives the rest of us a bad reputation.
    I also want to point out that it is not a generation thing. Many young people are racist even though they have grown up in a more multi cultural society. Many older people, who would not have had much experience with other races growing up, are extremely open-minded.
    As I said, most Irish people are not racist. Also most immigrants are lovely people. On both sides though, it is the few that give the others a bad name.

Each and every opinion poll conducted on the topic has shown us that the majority of Irish people want a reduction in the number of immigrants arriving and living here. Years before the recession. Thats not racism, thats common sense. In the early 90s we had 1-2% of our population consisting of foreign nationals, now, a decade later we have anything from 15-20%. Thats simply unsustainable. Its is quite natural for Irish people to want a reduction in the number of foreigners living here. To be honest I am surprised its not 90%. But also rememver, as stated in the article, 10% of those surveryed were foreign nationals themselves.

We need to deport failed asylum seekers, illegal immigrants, those on bogus language school visas and implement a work permit scheme for citizens from the accession states. The countries immigration policies for the last decade have been insane, no wonder the people are fed up to the back teeth with mass immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭strathspey

So according to you, Ireland is loike totally racist. Ok, no wonder we have absorbed and accepted barely any immigrants over the last decade. Oh no, wait..... we have just absorbed more immigrants per capita in the last ten years, than France did over the past fifty years.

Oh, and how many millions of Irish has the rest of the world had to absorb over the centuries. You have the memory of a goldfish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Ok children, less of the instults please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

JA is for those without enough contributions to qualify for JB.

you are correct here, but as mentioned earlier, you need to satisfy the Habitual Residence Condition

staying here means one need to pay the rent, bills, etc. I cannot think about how this can be achieved without working. of course there are situations where for example wife was staying at home, when a man was working but they are very unusual (and please take under consideration that the vast majority of imigrants arent/werent the high earners) - in other words the percentage of people doing this is marginal

We need to deport failed asylum seekers, illegal immigrants, those on bogus language school visas and implement a work permit scheme for citizens from the accession states. The countries immigration policies for the last decade have been insane, no wonder the people are fed up to the back teeth with mass immigration.

I second that, I worked as lecturer in one of the "visa colleges", and left after couple months when I realised it's nothing but their visas why people attended the classes. sad but true

strathspey wrote: »
    Oh, and how many millions of Irish has the rest of the world had to absorb over the centuries. You have the memory of a goldfish!

Well, I was only born in 1987. So forgive me if I dont remember the famine era. I will contact a medium to have a chin wag with my ancestors.:rolleyes:

You are not comparing like with like. The Irish emigrated to New World countries, not Poland, India, Pakistan, Lithuania, and Nigeria. The Americas, New Zealand and Australia are continent sized countries with resources to match. Compared to these countries, Ireland is a rock hanging off the edge of the Atlantic. Remember, all these countries are populated with immigrants and the descendants of immigrants. Every nationality in the world emigrated to these countries, not only the Irish.

A moot point.

you are correct here, but as mentioned earlier, you need to satisfy the Habitual Residence Condition

staying here means one need to pay the rent, bills, etc. I cannot think about how this can be achieved without working. of course there are situations where for example wife was staying at home, when a man was working but they are very unusual (and please take under consideration that the vast majority of imigrants arent/werent the high earners) - in other words the percentage of people doing this is marginal

Viola. Rent allowance. Over 90,000 people are in receipt of this social welfare payment, 30 odd thousand of them are foreign families. You can do a lot with 200 odd euro when your rent is paid. Work a couple of hours on the black market and they are better off than they were before when they were working legitimately.

THE number of people receiving State rent support has jumped by nearly a quarter in just six months -- with one-third of claimants foreign nationals.

New figures supplied to the Irish Independent show that the recession has caused a huge increase in the numbers unable to meet housing costs on their own.

At the end of last year, just over 74,000 people were in receipt of rent supplement from the State. Now the figure has jumped by 23pc and stands at a record 91,000, the Department of Social Welfare confirmed yesterday.

Recent figures, compiled when there were 89,000 claimants, show that 32,000 -- more than one third -- are non-nationals.

They show 7,638 Poles, 2,886 Nigerians, 2,108 Lithuanians, 1,512 Romanians and 1,318 Latvians among the highest categories of non-nationals being paid the benefit. People from 163 countries and territories, excluding Ireland, get the rent supplement.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/strain-on-rent-relief-as-32000-foreigners-claim-aid-1843632.html

I will ask again, can you please name at least one benefit people coming from abroad can claim straight after crossing the border?

Child benefit, rent supplement, extraordinary needs benefit, college grants. I could continue.

Berty wrote: »
    I wonder what would happen if you counted the per capita amount of Irish unemployed to the per capita amount of EU nationals unemployed. :D

Over 20% of those on the live register are immigrants. Over 33% of those in reciept of rent allowance, are immigrants. Immigrants are 800 times more likely to be involved in child benefit fraud compared to Irish citizens.

Ergo, per capita, immigrants are much more reliant on social welfare.

Maybe the EU should start demanding we repay all the money it has given us over the years then. It is a recession, after all.

Maybe we should bill them for the exploitation of our natural resources.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Viola. Rent allowance. Over 90,000 people are in receipt of this social welfare payment, 30 odd thousand of them are foreign families. You can do a lot with 200 odd euro when your rent is paid. Work a couple of hours on the black market and they are better off than they were before when they were working legitimately.

THE number of people receiving State rent support has jumped by nearly a quarter in just six months -- with one-third of claimants foreign nationals.

New figures supplied to the Irish Independent show that the recession has caused a huge increase in the numbers unable to meet housing costs on their own.

At the end of last year, just over 74,000 people were in receipt of rent supplement from the State. Now the figure has jumped by 23pc and stands at a record 91,000, the Department of Social Welfare confirmed yesterday.

Recent figures, compiled when there were 89,000 claimants, show that 32,000 -- more than one third -- are non-nationals.

They show 7,638 Poles, 2,886 Nigerians, 2,108 Lithuanians, 1,512 Romanians and 1,318 Latvians among the highest categories of non-nationals being paid the benefit. People from 163 countries and territories, excluding Ireland, get the rent supplement.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/strain-on-rent-relief-as-32000-foreigners-claim-aid-1843632.html

Voila, later in the same article.
    The department said : "Rent supplement is now restricted to individuals who have held an existing tenancy for six months or who are in homeless accommodation, or who have a local authority assessment which indicates that they are eligible.

zuroph wrote: »
    Voila, later in the same article.

Whats your point? The Irish state is spending crazy money on 32,000 foreign families to live here, fully subsidised. Countries we have no ties with, I may add.

The mayor was dead right. Under EU law we are fully entitled to repatriate any EU citizen who cannot financially look after themselves. It aint pretty, but we need to balance the books.

Furthermore, I would go one step further and push Brussels to implement a work permit scheme on citizens from the accession states, just like Germany and Austria do.

• Advertisement

Its a means-tested system, which is fair. Also, Rent allowance doesnt take money out of our economy, instead, it gives money to Irish Landlords who's properties might otherwise be empty. Its a minimal expenditure.

Child benefit, rent supplement, extraordinary needs benefit, college grants. I could continue.

child benefit - yeah, huge money. at last I have enough for that damn ryanair plane to come over every wednesday to collect the dole!

rent supplement - mentioned above, cannot apply straight away

college grants - these are not entitlements. thinking the way you do, you can add insurance claims to your list

extraordinary needs benefit - could you provide any examples?

seems to me like you have nothing to say, any real life examples?

The mayor was dead right. Under EU law we are fully entitled to repatriate any EU citizen who cannot financially look after themselves.

what EU law you are reffering to?

Its a means-tested system, which is fair. Also, Rent allowance doesnt take money out of our economy, instead, it gives money to Irish Landlords who's properties might otherwise be empty. Its a minimal expenditure.

Its a landlord bail out. If these foreigners cannot afford to pay their own way, they should be repatriated. It is far from a minimal expense.

Rent allowance 32,000 x 900 x 12 = 345,600,000 euro per annum.
    Social Welfare 80,000 x 204 x 52 = 848,864,000 euro per annum.

We gives us a grand total of 1,194,464,000 euro per annum.

Thats how much it costs the Irish state coffers in rent allowance and social welfare payments paid out to foreign nationals. That of course does not take into account, child benefit, medical cards, back to school allowance, back to education grants, educating their children, teaching immigrants kids english(126 million per annum) etc etc etc.

Minimal expenditure indeed. We are talking billions of euros.:rolleyes:

Its a landlord bail out. If these foreigners cannot afford to pay their own way, they should be repatriated. It is far from a minimal expense.

Rent allowance 32,000 x 900 x 12 = 345,600,000 euro per annum.
    Social Welfare 80,000 x 204 x 52 = 848,864,000 euro per annum.

We gives us a grand total of 1,194,464,000 euro per annum.

Thats how much it costs the Irish state coffers in rent allowance and social welfare payments paid out to foreign nationals. That of course does not take into account, child benefit, medical cards, back to school allowance, back to education grants, educating their children, teaching immigrants kids english(126 million per annum) etc etc etc.

Minimal expenditure indeed. We are talking billions of euros.:rolleyes:
    It also doesnt take into account the money going back into the economy.

To be honest, I hate this ****ing sh1thole of a country. We'd have been better off if the English had kept it from our inbred inept greedy hands.

PaulieD - 1950s called, they want you back

PaulieD - 1950s called, they want you back

Show me one racist statement I have made. All my posts are backed up with facts and figures. As for your off the cuff remark about child benefit, heres one for you. On a spot check of 2000 new claimants they found that 10% were claiming the benefit while not living in the country i.e. fraudulent claims. Also an earlier sampling of Children's Allowance found an 800% greater incidence of fraud among immigrants, the fraud level among non-nationals was 13% compared to around 1.5% among Irish nationals.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/0721/1216565492868.html

It also doesnt take into account the money going back into the economy.

To be honest, I hate this ****ing sh1thole of a country. We'd have been better off if the English had kept it from our inbred inept greedy hands.

The poor sod working is being taxed to the hilt to subsidise foreigners in receipt of welfare. By targeting foreign nationals and those who were in receipt during the good times, Mary Hanifin would have her three billion saved. And then some.

The poor sod working is being taxed to the hilt to subsidise foreigners in receipt of welfare. By targeting foreign nationals and those who were in receipt during the good times, Mary Hanifin would have her three billion saved. And then some.
    I'm much more concerned about my money going to the crime gangs and irish scum, than the foreigners. The long-term pyjama wearing jacintas.

• Advertisement

Have to pick you up on this disgraceful remark. Hand in your passport. Move to Poland. Renounce your citizenship. A disgraceful and disgusting remark that can only be construed as anti Irish racism. If I said the same about Poland and the German occupation or Nigeria and the British colonialists, I would be banned from this site with haste.

Advertisement