Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayor of Limerick wants deportation of EU-nationals

Options
  • 11-11-2009 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

THE Mayor of Limerick, Cllr Kevin Kiely, has called for the deportation of EU-nationals who have failed to secure employment since their arrival here.
    "I'm calling for anybody who is living in the State and who can't afford to pay for themselves to be deported after three months. We are borrowing €400 million per week to maintain our own residents and we can't afford it," the outspoken politician said this Wednesday.

"During the good times it was grand but we can't afford the current situation unless the EU is willing to step in and pay for non-nationals," he said

The president of the Irish-Polish Cultural and Business Association, Pat O'Sullivan, has called on the Mayor to withdraw his comments. "I am shocked, I am taken aback by those comments and it is shocking and dangerous talk," he said.

"EU nationals have a legal right to be here and calling for them to be deported shows an extraordinary lack of understanding of our place in Europe and how the world views us as a people," he added.

Mayor Kiely has denied his comments amount to racism.

"I'm not racist but it is very simple, we can't continue to borrow €400 million a week and the Government has to pull a halt and say enough is enough unless the EU intervenes and pays some sort of a subvention," he insisted.

I guess this recession is making everyone think charity begins at home and Ireland has been very generous

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

The government is paying way, way more to corrupt, dead banks like Anglo Irish Bank and Irish Nationwide, than it is to EU nationals on the dole, yet no-one mentions that. You can't kick people who have a legal right to be here out, just because the economy has collapsed. They were more than welcome here when we needed plentiful cheap labour. Corporate welfare should be stopped! Kiely is a muppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Kevin Kiely makes ill-informed offensive remark.

And people are surprised?

I hope he is forced to resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

When I heard this I immediately thought of somebody who was brought in by Kevin Kiely into the housing department last week and told the girl in the office

"this girl needs to be bumped onto the housing list for a bigger house"(that's right, not just a house a BIGGER EFFIN' house)

Of course this girl was Irish, a single mother(claiming to be) and in receipt of numerous benefits.

BTW Mod, this is fact(don't you just love that claim)

If he would stop and think about giving people houses and benefits they are not entitled to then there would be some extra money to spend rather than blaming the EU nationals for sponging the welfare system.

I wonder what would happen if you counted the per capita amount of Irish unemployed to the per capita amount of EU nationals unemployed.

Facepalm moment for Kevin Kiely. Imagine though what John Gilligan would have said If he was asked the same question. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Berty wrote: »
    When I heard this I immediately thought of somebody who was brought in by Kevin Kiely into the housing department last week and told the girl in the office

"this girl needs to be bumped onto the housing list for a bigger house"(that's right, not just a house a BIGGER EFFIN' house)

Of course this girl was Irish, a single mother(claiming to be) and in receipt of numerous benefits.

BTW Mod, this is fact(don't you just love that claim)

If he would stop and think about giving people houses and benefits they are not entitled to then there would be some extra money to spend rather than blaming the EU nationals for sponging the welfare system.

I wonder what would happen if you counted the per capita amount of Irish unemployed to the per capita amount of EU nationals unemployed.

Facepalm moment for Kevin Kiely. Imagine though what John Gilligan would have said If he was asked the same question. :D

Don't worry, Jim Long is in line to become mayor in the next couple of years, cannot remember which year is the one that is his spell, but if you want a foot in mouth type as the mayor of Limerick, then the likes of Gilligan will have to work damn hard to match Long, who already has outbursts against people from other countries who have jobs here and that pay taxes here.

If memory serves right, there was a thread in this very forum earlier this year about that very subject with links to the newspaper interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Yep and all the irish born who are currently resident in other EU countries and are claiming welfare for over 3 months should be dispatched back to us.

What a stupid idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Fair play to him, great idea..

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Stan the man

I read about this on the Polish forum as well.
    It's very sad what he said. Even 3.4 years ago sought a meeting with the Poles and the Polish community.

:( no comment

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

He also doesnt seem to realise that Irish people are EU nationals, so is everyone without a job in Ireland being deported? I'll quit mine if i get sent to somewhere sunny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Fair play to him i think this is a great idea!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

to the mayor and all other ignorants who approves what he said, can you please name any benefit a foreign national is entitled to coming from abroad?

I would advise the man to at least try calling Citizens Information if he has problems understanding how the benefit system in this country works.

and before anyone ask - I am from Poland, been here for last 5,5 years, paid the rent, taxes, spent the money in shops, cinemas, on petrol, etc.

Please entertain me and name just one benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭_michelle_

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    to the mayor and all other ignorants who approves what he said, can you please name any benefit a foreign national is entitled to coming from abroad?

I would advise the man to at least try calling Citizens Information if he has problems understanding how the benefit system in this country works.

and before anyone ask - I am from Poland, been here for last 5,5 years, paid the rent, taxes, spent the money in shops, cinemas, on petrol, etc.

i can name a few,
    lone parents, jsa/jsb & disability are 3 of them.
    it is madness to think we should support non-nationals BEFORE OUR OWN!!!!!
    i fully agree with the mayor & believe we need more like him & maybe our country wouldnt be in such a mess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

social welfare payments, child benefit etc??? just to name a couple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭aftermn

Hey

Anyone who actually worked and paid taxes here should have the same benefits as the rest of us.

Stop trying to hit people at the bottom. It is the top end gits who need trimming. Few of these are migrant workers, they are our very own, although you wouldn't think it.

On the other hand, migrants who have never contributed (through tax, prsi etc.) should not be facilitated. This only facilitates the rich, by undermining the workers.

Workers should use their income wisely. Spend in worker friendly shops only. Go north if you can. Remember the rich are using every tactic to do down the worker. We must be every bit as uncompromising. They need our spending, withdraw it until we get a better deal.

Social insurance (PRSI) contributions

In order to qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit, you must pay Class A, H or P PRSI contributions. Class A is the one paid by most private sector employees. Class H is paid by soldiers, reservists and temporary army nurses, who do not qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit until they have left the army.

* At least 104 weeks PRSI paid since you first started work

And

* Have 39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the relevant tax year (a minimum of 13 weeks must be paid contributions*)

Or

* Have 26 weeks PRSI paid in the relevant tax year and 26 weeks PRSI paid in the tax year immediately before the relevant tax year.

can you enlighten me, how someone coming from abroad can be granted JB if 104 contributions (that means need to be working at least 104 weeks, which is two years) is needed to get it?

I am not going to explain you your own social welfare system, but ffs at least read the rules before you start making completely false accusations. for more information please refer to http://www.citizensinformation.ie

can you enlighten me, how someone coming from abroad can be granted JB if 104 contributions (that means need to be working at least 104 weeks, which is two years) is needed to get it?

I am not going to explain you your own social welfare system, but ffs at least read the rules before you start making completely false accusations. for more information please refer to http://www.citizensinformation.ie
    there are loopholes in our welfare law that enable non-nationals (only eu nationals) to claim welfare here if they have worked in another eu country (apart from their home country) for a certain period of time directly preceding their claim here. this is maddness that each week we a getting ourselves further into debt each week to provide for non-nationals.

_michelle_ wrote: »
    there are loopholes in our welfare law that enable non-nationals (only eu nationals) to claim welfare here if they have worked in another eu country (apart from their home country) for a certain period of time directly preceding their claim here. this is maddness that each week we a getting ourselves further into debt each week to provide for non-nationals.

if you work in any EU country you can move your benefit to other EU state for up to three months. it's still the country where you've been working who pays up

I will ask again, can you please name at least one benefit people coming from abroad can claim straight after crossing the border?

if you work in any EU country you can move your benefit to other EU state for up to three months. it's still the country where you've been working who pays up

I will ask again, can you please name at least one benefit people coming from abroad can claim straight after crossing the border?
    yes you are correct in that however there are other loopholes that enable non-nationals to claim jsa/jsb directly after coming into the country!

would you be able to share some of those 'loopholes'? or back you accusations with anything apart from your own words? because it seems to me you have a lot to say, but not much of it makes any sense

if you are aware about such 'loopholes' how you call it, have you contacted your TD in relation to them?

would you be able to share some of those 'loopholes'? or back you accusations with anything apart from your own words? because it seems to me you have a lot to say, but not much of it makes any sense

if you are aware about such 'loopholes' how you call it, have you contacted your TD in relation to them?
    fl4pj4ck, you really need to look up tis information yourself its all readily available on the internet. yes i have contacted my local td's & to say they wern't interested is an understatment, they are just to chicken sh1t incase they are called racist for exposing such loopholes, & by your grammer im presuming your not irish?

i can name a few,
    lone parents, jsa/jsb & disability are 3 of them.
    it is madness to think we should support non-nationals BEFORE OUR OWN!!!!!
    i fully agree with the mayor & believe we need more like him & maybe our country wouldnt be in such a mess!

I need to look them myself? Why? None of what you said so far is true (which I pointed out earlier), why would I or anyone else believe it?
    If you are making an accusation please back it up. Do your homework and come back.

As for my nationality I mentioned it earlier myself. Probably mr mayor have the same problem with understanding written word as you do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭aftermn

Hey

if you have worked and paid your dues here, welcome.

Don't listen to the downers.

But for everyone, money is short and we have to be careful to use it fairly. Government money is also scarce and has to be used carefully. Please, my Irish brothers, accept that our immigrants who contribute are just that, contributors. They are deserving of our support as they have supported us throughout their working time here. We have rules, stick by them. Give where it is due, but also our immigrants must accept that we refuse those outside the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

Who in the name of Jesus Christ would emigrate to Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Maybe the EU should start demanding we repay all the money it has given us over the years then. It is a recession, after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Fair play to him, great idea..

i thgink racist people should be shot.

with scumbags like this alive the irish would not have survived the famine.

idiots with carity begins at home. 100 years ago we wouyld have been on the tv adverts for concern. morons havent a clue about society or the common good.

SCUM

• Registered Users Posts: 55,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thread cleaned up. Keep it on topic, folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

204.30EUR a week to EU citizens who have worked and contributed to Irish society (unlike a lot of Irish-born citizens who still claim welfare), or 30bn euro to a corrupt and dead institution like Anglo Irish Bank. And what do people get worked up about? Nice to see government propaganda is working well.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Paulegend wrote: »
    i thgink racist people should be shot.

with scumbags like this alive the irish would not have survived the famine.

idiots with carity begins at home. 100 years ago we wouyld have been on the tv adverts for concern. morons havent a clue about society or the common good.

SCUM

Well I think weak PC liberal traitors should be shot..

btw im not a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

This gem comes from the same great brain that, earlier in the year called on the government to fork out on a new programme to build a shítload more houses in Limerick to "keep the local economy going".

I want some of what he's smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

He's on 95fm now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

204.30EUR a week to EU citizens who have worked and contributed to Irish society (unlike a lot of Irish-born citizens who still claim welfare), or 30bn euro to a corrupt and dead institution like Anglo Irish Bank. And what do people get worked up about? Nice to see government propaganda is working well.......

The Anglo Irish Bank has nothing to do with social welfare expenditure. Bloody Fintan o'Toole

Advertisement