Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shorted Stocks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Thanks

I thought I read somewhere or seen an article on a guy who invested x and lost xxxxxx! anyway - heres to becoming a millionaire by morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

ardinn wrote: »
    Thanks

I thought I read somewhere or seen an article on a guy who invested x and lost xxxxxx! anyway - heres to becoming a millionaire by morning

You can lose more than your invested amount if you short a stock. That's what is happening to GameStop shorters right now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The original lad on reddit has balls of steel how did he hold when he was due millions
    He's down $14m today, currently sitting on $18m profit

Shedite27 wrote: »
    He's down $14m today, currently sitting on $18m profit

Did everyone else fúck him over and cashout?

Whats their plan for tomorrow? Or is their one?

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Kilboor wrote: »
    You can lose more than your invested amount if you short a stock. That's what is happening to GameStop shorters right now :D

Also if you buy on margin, right?

Neither of which you'd be doing on Revolut.

• Advertisement

No one ****ed him over, the value of his investment is less today because Gamestop shares are trading at a lower price.

There's no collective plan, people are buying and holding right now pushing gamestops price up as shorters are forced to buy shares at the highest available prices. The plan is "buy" if you read wallstreetbets.

When the shorters have fully covered their positions this will run out of steam, there will be a huge fall in the share price as people panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublin Lad2021

Think it was supposed to be Friday or Monday but when buying got suspended everyone sold. It's not just Redditors, actual firms bought millions and sold it on a short for profit

awec wrote: »
    Also if you buy on margin, right?

Neither of which you'd be doing on Revolut.

Yes exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Thanks

That was Homer Simpson becoming super bankrupt

Birneybau wrote: »
    That was Homer Simpson becoming super bankrupt

Im pretty sure it wasnt but he probably did too :D

• Advertisement

Elon Tweeting about DOGE now - and I cant buy it on revolut :'(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

daheff wrote: »
    But if the broker isn't facilitating trades they are reducing volume and preventing their own commission, right? Stopping people trading isn't then in their own interests.

If none of their intermediaries are willing to take up an order that is what happens!

Putting a finger it this pie is not bright at the best of times, but doing with a discount broker is a complete disadvantage.

You’re playing against guys who have full instance access to the market, while you sit around waiting for an intermediary to pick up your order.

There is a reason to use a full cost broker sometimes and this is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Well after touching 112 dollars a share after retailer investors were locked out of the market, GME is now at 310 in after hours. I expect a surge tomorrow, with high volatility throughout the day as shorters continue to fight. I sold 95% of my position in GME yesterday, so it's really entertainment at this stage. Strap up boys, it could be quiet a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bodjhrjekekr

Elon Tweeting about DOGE now - and I cant buy it on revolut :'(

This robinhood stuff is probably one of the best things to happen for crypto - even though ironically i think that's where a lot of people are trading Doge

I also have no clue how to buy it from europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

You can buy it on binance, but it's way up, bad time to buy.

rapul wrote: »
    You can buy it on binance, but it's way up, bad time to buy.

bought some xlm on revolut instead as its jumping too, i cant open another trading account :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

bought some xlm on revolut instead as its jumping too, i cant open another trading account :eek: :D

Seen xlm moving alrite, wild nite ahead for alot it seems

rapul wrote: »
    Seen xlm moving alrite, wild nite ahead for alot it seems

I should set an alert for elon musks tweets :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

• Registered Users Posts: 81,702 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Advertisement

im opening a kraken account for doge but its taking a fecking age - They want it to go to $1 - its gone from 2-5c in the last few hrs - it will explode when they wake up in the u.s. (says me 5mins after hearing about anything remotely useful about stocks and crypto!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

AOC running a Twitch stream at the moment with a former Wall Street IT system and now activist, the founder of Reddit and a 'Stockguy' twitch streamer.

Interesting conversation from the different perspectives albeit with everyone coming at it from the position of the retail trader.

AOC running a Twitch stream at the moment with a former Wall Street IT system and now activist, the founder of Reddit and a 'Stockguy' twitch streamer.

Interesting conversation from the different perspectives albeit with everyone coming at it from the position of the retail trader.

link?

never mind, found it - (first time on twitch) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Fairly compelling alternative theory as to why RH and others suspended purchases of several stocks. https://mobile.twitter.com/KralcTrebor/status/1354952686165225478

Archaic clearing processes and liquidity rules both enforced by/in favour of Wall St. Biased, but codified and published rather than back channel manipulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Fairly compelling alternative theory as to why RH and others suspended purchases of several stocks. https://mobile.twitter.com/KralcTrebor/status/1354952686165225478

Archaic clearing processes and liquidity rules both enforced by/in favour of Wall St. Biased, but codified and published rather than back channel manipulation.

Then why did all the retail brokers lie about managing risk for customers? Like they all used exactly the same line practically verbatim, if it was to do with rules etc especially those in place that help wall st and they admitted that nobody would blame them yet they still lied.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭Timing belt

VinLieger wrote: »
    Then why did all the retail brokers lie about managing risk for customers? Like they all used exactly the same line practically verbatim, if it was to do with rules etc especially those in place that help wall st and they admitted that nobody would blame them yet they still lied.

They were managing risk for customers by posting VM to cover the clients risk.

They were managing risk for customers by posting VM to cover the clients risk.

So you are saying every brokers PR departments are so unclued in that they decided to lie to their customers instead of telling the truth which would have actually gained them support? Robinhood is now a zombie platform that will die once this is all over because of that decision.

Also many brokers like T212 have now changed the tune to claim the buy restrictions are due to their intermediaries pla ing restrictions not customer risk or the regulations at all care to explain that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭Timing belt

VinLieger wrote: »
    So you are saying every brokers PR departments are so unclued in that they decided to lie to their customers instead of telling the truth which would have actually gained them support? Robinhood is now a zombie platform that will die once this is all over because of that decision.

Also many brokers like T212 have now changed the tune to claim the buy restrictions are due to their intermediaries pla ing restrictions not customer risk or the regulations at all care to explain that?

The intermediaries/clearing house are asking them to post Variation margin to cover the risk.... Something they need to do under the Regs.

• Advertisement

The intermediaries/clearing house are asking them to post Variation margin to cover the risk.... Something they need to do under the Regs.

Then why not plainly say that? Surely at this stage after all that happened yesterday they know it would gain them at least some of the support back that theyve lost as it still speaks to the one rule for the rich and another for the rest argument

Advertisement