Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shorted Stocks

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

TheW1zard wrote: »
    I'll be looking to make money when it drops

Are you shorting it? Extremely high risk. Do you have an American account? Not possible to short a stock in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Are you shorting it? Extremely high risk. Do you have an American account? Not possible to short a stock in Ireland.

You can buy puts for it if you're planning on shorting. Pay about $400 now and collect 4/5 times taht if it drops to $20 by March. Collect zero if it doesn't drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Cfds on capital.com

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Shedite27 wrote: »
    You can buy puts for it if you're planning on shorting. Pay about $400 now and collect 4/5 times taht if it drops to $20 by March. Collect zero if it doesn't drop.

both calls and puts are very expensive on GME , reflects both the level of volatility and interest in this story right now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

bish76 wrote: »
    GEVO- is it shorted / pump and dump?
    For the nine months ended 30 September 2020, GevoInc revenues decreased 72% to $5M. Net loss increased 1% to$22.1M. Revenues reflect Gevo Development/Agri-Energysegment decrease of 77% to $3.8M, Gevo,Inc segment decreaseof 13% to $1.2M, United States (Country) segment decreaseof 76% to $3.9M, other segment decrease of 17% to $1.2M.Higher net loss reflects Gevo,Inc segment loss increase of1% to $9.5M.

Share price went from $1.0 last year to $4.0 at beginning of Jan and now running around $12-13 ? I know with Biden in charge there is focus on renewal energy but the pump seems disproportionate.

Although biased here's a recent investor presentation by GEVO
    https://investors.gevo.com/_resources/presentations/corporate-presentation.pdf.

And a recent article around GEVO https://stocknews.com/news/gevo-shecy-ahksy-tryiy-does-renewable-chemical-stock-gevo-belong-in-your-portfolio/
    I think they are around 15% short interest.

Some of their production was suspended last year due to reduced demand which would have affected their revenues. Just signed their biggest contract to date in December plus financed their next facility and more off the recent stock offering. The share price at the moment likely reflects the potential they have as a company I think.

For me I've made back my original investment in them so will hold the rest long term and see where they go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

even if it drops to 20 by March with a premium that high it still puts you at a loss at the cuurent price of approx 350.

As Mad_maxx said options are too expensive right now and CFD's arent really viable unless you have the cash to ride out the possible downside and extortionate fees to keep a position open.

even if it drops to 20 by March with a premium that high it still puts you at a loss at the cuurent price of approx 350.

As Mad_maxx said options are too expensive right now and CFD's arent really viable unless you have the cash to ride out the possible downside and extortionate fees to keep a position open.

Yeah they're not for me, but I was responding to someone who wanted to short it, if you are looking to profit from Gamestop's demise, the puts are the only safe way to do it. I agree, it's a bit rich for the risk

GME going nowhere premarket

TheW1zard wrote: »
    GME going nowhere premarket
    it's up 5%?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Anyone looking at Hugh Fruit Inc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

Anyone who stops to think about it can see widespread passive investing in index funds is problematic.

Came across this post on reddit that made me pause, to the moon boys lol
    Bloomberg says this (among other things):

The S&P 500 Index is an index of, roughly speaking, the 500 biggest U.S. public companies by market capitalization. GameStop is not in that index, because a month ago it was a small company, in the index of 2,000 small companies. Now it is—measured by market capitalization, though nothing else—a big company. If the redditors can hold on long enough, can they get GameStop added to the S&P? Can they turn it into a big company just by bidding the stock up? If they can, then S&P 500 index funds will be forced to buy it, no matter the price, and all the redditors who brought it here can get out at a profit. And they will have a big and permanent win, and also the current version of financial capitalism—the index-fund version—will collapse in absurdity.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/opinion/articles/2021-01-28/knowing-when-to-sell-gamestop-stock-at-the-top-is-impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Tails142 wrote: »
    Anyone who stops to think about it can see widespread passive investing in index funds is problematic.

Came across this post on reddit that made me pause, to the moon boys lol

The S&P is based on more factors than just market cap.
    This is very unlikely to be added without a genuine fundamental turnaround.

it's up 5%?

No moon landings today I meant!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭supersonic21

which do you use to buy puts?

which do you use to buy puts?

Interactive Brokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭daheff

anybody know any more about the reported Yellen/SEC meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

daheff wrote: »
    anybody know any more about the reported Yellen/SEC meeting?

You got roasted aswell as me then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jacobs_Stripe

Hi all,

I am new to trading and downloaded Interactive Broker and I'm feeling very frustrated with it. I am in Ireland and it appears the only platforms which allow Irish people to trade HCMC is Trading 212, Degiro & IB.

Trading 212 - Isn't opening new accounts at present. I have joined the waiting list.
    Degiro - I have provided all my docs but have been told it will be about 10days to open the a/c. Its been about that but there seems to be a backlog.
    IB - My a/c is set up and I have funded it with 200 EUR.

When I went to trade on HCMC I was first told that I wasn't eligible and that I would need to set up a Margin a/c. I did this. Then I was told I needed to change my experience on trading to match the requirements for the Margin a/c and to select 'US Penny Stocks'. I did this also.
    Now I am been told that I am unable to place the trade as the amount is less than 2000 EUR.

Has anyone else come across this when trading Penny Stocks on IB and do you know how I can overcome it? On another Forum someone told me to transfer my EUR to USD and leave 5EUR in my account and trade then in USD and it should work. But I don't want to go through the hassle of converting the money over if I still can't trade it. At this stage I am fed up and just thinking of pulling my money out, but on the other side I really want to trade on HCMC.

Appreciate any advise :) TIA

Advertisement