Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shorted Stocks

Options
  • 28-01-2021 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

I am going to suggest that we have a separate topic for the Shorting phenomena, and leave the Share Picks 2021 for the normal run of the mill stuff, might make it easier to follow both.

Feel free to ignore my suggestion of course

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

I've no idea what's going on. Basically the little guys taking on the financial giants at their own game. And all of a sudden the giants are crying foul. Fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I thought this article from VICE summed it up nicely.

Fun to watch but crazy at the same time. Who knows what the ramifications will be if Melvin goes under...I'm thinking Pension funds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Timing belt

I thought this article from VICE summed it up nicely.

Fun to watch but crazy at the same time. Who knows what the ramifications will be if Melvin goes under...I'm thinking Pension funds etc.

They will have already closed out their positions!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bodjhrjekekr

GME nearly back to its closing price now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Good idea.

Currently holding AMC and NOK. Up in AMC, down in NOK.

Let's see how today goes.

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Good idea.

Currently holding AMC and NOK. Up in AMC, down in NOK.

Let's see how today goes.

Are they being shorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Are they being shorted?

Every stock that's shortable is being shorted to some degree.

It's when a large percentage of the shares in circulation (20% would be considered high, for reference GME was shorted 150%) are shorted that they have the potential to short squeeze.

WallStreetBets are hyper focused on this now so they've identified GME, AMC, BB, BBY, KOSS, NOK, and NAKD as heavily shorted companies that still have potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Are they being shorted?

AMC was at about 68% on the last report

Are they being shorted?

AMC yes

NOK no, but it's gaining momentum with the same WSB group

Kilboor wrote: »

WallStreetBets are hyper focused on this now so they've identified GME, AMC, BB, BBY, KOSS, NOK, and NAKD as heavily shorted companies that still have potential.

Anyone know where to find the short interest rate for NAKD? I can't find it anywhere, even if its a report from December? Hard to tell if any of these are still being shorted as theres no up to date info

• Advertisement

Anyone know where to find the short interest rate for NAKD? I can't find it anywhere, even if its a report from December? Hard to tell if any of these are still being shorted as theres no up to date info

https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/nakd/short-interest

updated yesterday with the short position as at 15/1/2021

thanks, but forgive my stupidity, how do you calculate the interest rate from that? Eg Gamestock had a 138% short interest rate

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Gaemstop up over 1500% this year or something crazy as hedge funds have to buy the stock to hedge their short positions. Hedge funds losing billions.

This is a distortion of the market that will not end well, including for the retail investors as some or many of them will end up holding the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

I am no expert but surely hedge funds are about to short the absolute **** out of Gamestock right now and just wait for its inevitable crash?

thanks, but forgive my stupidity, how do you calculate the interest rate from that? Eg Gamestock had a 138% short interest rate

they have 31m shares shorted 60m market cap so about 50% of the shares are shorted so unlikely that there would be a short Squeeze but watch the share price rise as people pump money into it.

NAKD have 234 million outstanding shares.

Short Interest is 31 million.

31 mil/234 mil *100

Days to cover is 1 since the avg daily volume is now 300 mil.

Days to cover for GME was 10 for reference.

they have 31m shares shorted 60m market cap so about 50% of the shares are shorted so unlikely that there would be a short Squeeze but watch the share price rise as people pump money into it.

This is completely wrong. Market cap does not equal Outstanding shares.

Gaemstop up over 1500% this year or something crazy as hedge funds have to buy the stock to hedge their short positions. Hedge funds losing billions.

This is a distortion of the market that will not end well, including for the retail investors as some or many of them will end up holding the bag.

The hedge funds have already closed out their positions and took their loss but will probably be in the money by the time this ends as people are still pumping money into the stock.

There is a lot of disinformation out there like the short position yesterday was 138%. The short positions get reported twice a month and yesterdays announcement related to short positions as at the 15/1/2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭JoeCole26

AMC seems to be stuttering this morning - down around 7.54% - i think between today and tomorrow we will start to see an end to all this "market manipulation" by the Reddit group. Its a pity they wouldnt target NIO with this.

The hedge funds have already closed out their positions and took their loss but will probably be in the money by the time this ends as people are still pumping money into the stock.

There is a lot of disinformation out there like the short position yesterday was 138%. The short positions get reported twice a month and yesterdays announcement related to short positions as at the 15/1/2021.

And yet the stock is climbing in premarket?

Also stop talking like you know something has happened that you literally have no evidence for.

• Advertisement

How do we know they closed out positions? I see there are articles about Melvin closing but how do we actually know? Genuine question by the way!! Is it reported by NYSE? Or Melvin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I know nothing about or extremely little about investing but this whole GameStop thing has me bamboozled.

The company in every way I can see is doomed. There is no future in bricks and mortar video game shops, and the bigger problem they have is the imminent situation where games for a given platform are only available directly through the company that own the platform, Microsoft - Sony - Nintendo, so there won't even really be anything for them to sell online except very niche collectibles.

What future can there be in stock in a company that makes absolutely no money in the real world?

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I know nothing about or extremely little about investing but this whole GameStop thing has me bamboozled.

The company in every way I can see is doomed. There is no future in bricks and mortar video game shops, and the bigger problem they have is the imminent situation where games for a given platform are only available directly through the company that own the platform, Microsoft - Sony - Nintendo, so there won't even really be anything for them to sell online except very niche collectibles.

What future can there be in stock in a company that makes absolutely no money in the real world?

It will crash back to normal when everyone cashes out, don't know when people will cash out yet though

Theres no future that warrants the current prices, people are trying to kill the short sellers that's it

Read this to understand

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkdvgy/send-this-to-anyone-who-wants-to-know-wtf-is-up-with-gamestop-stock

Kilboor wrote: »
    This is completely wrong. Market cap does not equal Outstanding shares.

you are right... was having a blonde moment

I'll copy what I wrote over on Share Picks.

I was an investor in GameStop from last Summer to January this year purely on a value basis, I never thought the short squeeze would be this big.

"Gamestop are an excellent brand name in an ever growing market and are still a number 1 go to for new games on disc as well as new consoles.

They also have a huge database of customer analytics and subscribers which Ryan Cohen loves from his experience at Chewy.

The strategy is to close unprofitable stores, create a more customer friendly service online, and to expand the product range to include PC gaming items (monitors, graphics cards) as well as e-sports focused items. They are in a good position with the brand name, locations, and customer analytics they have to reposition themselves.

The agreement with Microsoft is also an excellent revenue generating scheme."

Like Chewy in America became the hub for all animal lovers, GameStop will become the hub for all gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Genuinely happy for you Kilboor, I hope you hit the jackpot. I can't imagine what point I would have sold, 100% up, 200%??!..

Why is everyone not shorting this now? Once the herd moves it is going to crash spectacularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭supersonic21

It's nothing more than a group of people out to get a hedge fund.

you're right — GME is a sh*itshow, with absolutely no future. (that's why it was shorted to begin with!)

the 99% (wsb) saw the 1% (hedge funds) shorting GME and decided to pump it up, causing the HF to make huge losses. It was pretty smart, and to be honest, I'm here for it. We're seeing regular people make big gains and its funny to see the hedge funds run to the SEC because the wrong people are making money from the markets.

my related positions: AMC (+21%), BB (+50%), GME (+20%), and NOK (+45%) and I put around 775 USD between them all — but I see these as no different than sticking money on a horse.

America waking up, GMW and AMC getting going now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I am no expert but surely hedge funds are about to short the absolute **** out of Gamestock right now and just wait for its inevitable crash?

Wasn't there something about tulip bulbs in Amsterdam a while ago...?

Advertisement