Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shorted Stocks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

Coming into this from all the GME madness.

Can anyone tell me why can't the short sellers just hold off until all of the hype around this dies down? Most of the retail buyers will want to withdraw their funds at some point, they're not going to want to leave thousands in capital on the market indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    id be tempted to go short not long after the open today myself , can easily see it dropping by $200 at some stage

Plenty of people have the same idea, but in response to more people shorting GME, retail will just buy/hold longer.
    Like, of course GME is overvalued. But can you risk that it will drop soon enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

newboard wrote: »

Can anyone tell me why can't the short sellers just hold off until all of the hype around this dies down? Most of the retail buyers will want to withdraw their funds at some point, they're not going to want to leave thousands in capital on the market indefinitely.

They have deadlines on when the shares the borrowed originally to short are due back and for many i think that falls today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭timmyntc

newboard wrote: »

They are supposed to "hand-back" the shares they borrowed for the short by a fixed future date.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

VinLieger wrote: »
    They have deadlines on when the shares the borrowed originally to short are due back and for many i think that falls today

I read that that was a false rumour that was spread around, that there's actually no expiry. Could be totally wrong though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

timmyntc wrote: »
    Plenty of people have the same idea, but in response to more people shorting GME, retail will just buy/hold longer.
    Like, of course GME is overvalued. But can you risk that it will drop soon enough?

im talking shorting two stocks for half a day type thing , id close if it doubled

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bodjhrjekekr

im talking shorting two stocks for half a day type thing , id close if it doubled

a huge amount of people sold yesterday in a panic because of robinhood, so i'm not sure if there are many people left that will sell immediately today, might not be until next week we see a drop

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Craig_David

Just reading on WSB talk of the prices skyrocketing , and somehow options expirees due today are to play a large part.
    Can someone explain how this works?

As I understand, the hedge funds are selling the equity and borrowing stock to make delivery to the buyers.
    Eventually the lenders come looking for their stock back forcing the hedge fund to have to buy the stock in the open market.
    But Im not clear on the role the options play. Is it a case that the hedge funds are also selling call options on which they are losing out forcing them also to buy the stock in the open market to make good on the outturn of the options contract?

So in summary, they are shorting in both the cash equity market aswell as the options market?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

id be tempted to go short not long after the open today myself , can easily see it dropping by $200 at some stage

I'd be weary, remember the losses for shorting can be unlimited.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I'd be weary, remember the losses for shorting can be unlimited.

as i said , if i opened at circa $400 , id just buy back @$800 if need be , would not hold over the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

as i said , if i opened at circa $400 , id just buy back @$800 if need be , would not hold over the weekend

You've probably been asked this a few times but what platform do you use for trading?

JeffKenna wrote: »
    You've probably been asked this a few times but what platform do you use for trading?

saxo , been with them since 2014 , 15 euro per trade of physical shares , free to sell - close position#

actually it might be a tenner for frequent trades

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bodjhrjekekr

I would be thinking AMC has a lot more potential to fall a lot today, but who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I would be thinking AMC has a lot more potential to fall a lot today, but who knows
    Possibly today but I disagree in the long run

AMC was a $35 stock last year, it has the potential to grow back there once we get back to some sort of normal.

Gamestop is not staying at $300

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭HamSarris

This is the ultimate bear capitulation. Only the strongest bears have survived and now they are about to feast on the stimulus cheques of generation Z.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

saxo , been with them since 2014 , 15 euro per trade of physical shares , free to sell - close position#

actually it might be a tenner for frequent trades

I'm with Saxo too - the charge seems to depend on the exchange - for NYSE I'm charged $10, LSE its £8, and HSE its €12

• Registered Users Posts: 26 social.lite

Those charges are mental. What am I missing? I pay €1 on revolut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Zero interest on some exchanges. Revolut is not great for day trading as you are only limit to 3 day trades per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭daheff

with Revolut do they actually buy the stock or are they effectively cfd/spread betting for you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

daheff wrote: »
    with Revolut do they actually buy the stock or are they effectively cfd/spread betting for you?

They give you the stock. I get emails from apple for example. I find revolut a simple enough one to use and manage seeing its your wallet, savings as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

JohnK wrote: »
    I'm with Saxo too - the charge seems to depend on the exchange - for NYSE I'm charged $10, LSE its £8, and HSE its €12

And do they register the shares in your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭daheff

Niallof9 wrote: »
    They give you the stock. I get emails from apple for example. I find revolut a simple enough one to use and manage seeing its your wallet, savings as well.

what do you mean by they give you the stocks?

are you listed on the share register of the company that you buy shares in?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

8 minutes for the rocket trip to the moon, all aboard the GME and AMC rockets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

8 minutes for the rocket trip to the moon, all aboard the GME and AMC rockets

Bought $80 worth of GME earlier - Have no idea what im doing - will be fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭crushproof

And we're off again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭This is it

Here we go! $404 already

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

18 AMC 14 BB 1 GME 70 NOK, all fueled and ready for launch, first stop the moon, last stop pluto.

Lots of sell orders at $400 I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 26 social.lite

Insane volatility

• Advertisement

Halt on it now

Advertisement