Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Eoin wrote: »
    I get the logic behind the reserve displays, I just don't tend to rotate every few days - more like a week. So my autos are generally either completely dead or charged. That's just me, but I think they're a far more useful thing on a handwound.

Best power reserves are the ones on the rear of a watch , still there so it’s useful but doesn’t clutter your dial .

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

Wibbs wrote: »
    I've only seen the Stowa in the flesh so not much help there, but it looked like a very nice watch, especially at the price point. IIRC there are a couple of folks around here that have had or still have Stowas and I think there's a Dornbluth too in the mix.

Thanks sincerely for that. Am looking at purchasing one of these and am totally undecided as to which manufacturer to go for as they are all pretty similar. Archimedes and Laco same story. Thanks again for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,880 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Lads. One word. Watchwinders! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

unkel wrote: »

I have a few but never got on with them. The cheap ones are loud and magnetise the crap out of the watch. Also a number tend not to have enough settings to get a good wind on a unidirectional watch. Got a wolf winder but the batteries dont last long in the safe. I also take issue with running a watch all the time, it seems unnecessary wear and tear, the old thoughts that the watch will gum up if left to relax is long gone with any reasonably modern watch.

Winders look cool, but if I had a expensive perpetual calander I would not run it 24/7 on a winder. They are also like display cases for burglers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I have a 4 slot Chinese one, 4 winding and slots for another 4.

I kind like it in my bedroom, as a watch display.
    I haven't actually had it switched on in months tho, its solely a watch stand.

I kind of agree with Fitz in that there's no real need for winders now that there's far more viscous and less gummy oils in use and its an easy lift away for any burglar....

but!

They look so bloody nice with a few watches on display ;)

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    Best power reserves are the ones on the rear of a watch , still there so it’s useful but doesn’t clutter your dial .

Not much use for someone who previously said they rarely look at the back of their watch! Or was that only in relation to the PAM 1313 with the steel back and no PR but still (in their view) is a far superior watch to one with a sapphire back and PR? Or was it to get another dig at the PAM946? If it was, its getting tired at this stage and I am sure others are fed up of it by now. Also, good to know you also have an IWC Portuguese - never one to miss an opportunity to tell us what you own (yawn). When I referenced 'real' watch enthusiasts - they are always modest and talk down the watches they own rather than make it all about themselves. Most on this forum are like this from reading previous posts. A well known sporting legend that lives near me here has a collection of watches each worth 6 figures +. However, you would need to 'draw it out of him' before he would speak about them. In fact he gives the impression he wears a Timex. It is called humility and is a great trait in a person.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

kostal2093 wrote: »
    If it was, its getting tired at this stage and I am sure others are fed up of it by now.
    What I'm quite sure others are getting tired of is someone coming into the conversation, getting wound up(no pun) over feck all, firing out a barrage of snide remarks and not letting it go when they were asked and given leeway to. There's no need for this schoolyard stuff among adults. This ends now and that's my final word on it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,765 ✭✭✭893bet

Stop being a dick head.

Anyone who is here more than a week can pretty much name ever watch in everyone’s collection who posts any way regularly. Cyrus is not in the slightest boastful. Nor is anyone on here from what I see.

banie01 wrote: »
    They look so bloody nice with a few watches on display ;)

They look nice and you don't have to set your watch any time you pick one to wear! :D

Dunno about any of the cons people mention here. My one is cheap, yet silent. In several months using it, I haven't seen any negative impact on any of my watches. No doubt a winder is gentler on a watch than actually wearing the watch. The motor is rated 3W and is only on about 10% of the time, so the electricity use per year is just a few cents. And I don't care about thieves. My home is insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Fitz II wrote: »
    They are also like display cases for burglers.

You keep burglars in display cases?!?

Cool!!

Pics please.

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Cyrus is not boasting about his IWC. Maybe his VC or AP if he was in the mood. Seriously chap, we are trying to move the conversation on here, leave it be. Give us your thoughts on watchwinders, or tell us what else is in your collection, where do you buy watches? You a new or second hand guy? Like sports or formal, braclets or straps. Cyrus has a long and genuine history on here of thoughtful and tasteful watch collecting, you are not going to get anywhere trolling him.

But Unkle...you dont have a watch that need naming on the insurance any more :p:p:p:p:p. My insurance only covers my watches if they are in my safe ( and they have strong opinions on what safe I should have) or on my person. Sitting in winders doesnt count.

Now here is a winder I could get behind.....

wolf-1834-watch-winder-safe-640x533.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Homer

Picked this up over the weekend and absolutely love it! December 2019 Tudor Black Bay GMT Pepsi

20NF6X.md.jpg

Away with work till later in the week and will get some proper pics up then

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have to say I much prefer the Tudor hands than the Mercedes hands on Rolex(or anything else with Mercedes hands).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

[Caveat to the above post. I'm weird]

Today as we head into the Autumn season, Faaaaalll for any American folks, I decided World War one was "in". Current is soooo not. :D

527735.jpg

1914(or 15, can't exactly recall) 15 jewel movement Trench watch in a silver Borgel case, an early and the most widespread attempt at keeping the outer world from the inner. The case of the watch is one piece and the movement and dial screw in from the foront. In an example where the case threads aren't worn out to feck they're actually quite "waterproof", certainly splash proof, which tends to mean their movements are usually in better nick than in other more open cases of the period. We had to wait until 1917 before a true "waterproof" wristwatch came along in the form of the "Submarine", an order from British submariners placed with a Scottish jewellers. It was also antimagnetic and used no ferrous metals in the movement, because of the batteries used in submarines while submerged. Another very long term grail....

Homer wrote: »
    Picked this up over the weekend and absolutely love it! December 2019 Tudor Black Bay GMT Pepsi

snippage

Away with work till later in the week and will get some proper pics up then
    Lovely watch and unsurprisingly a great pic of it aswell!

kostal2093 wrote: »
    It is called humility and is a great trait in a person.

have a look on here might be useful to you

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?480919-Stowa-Marine-Classic

you are welcome :pac:

Had seen that already - but thanks anyway. Appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wibbs wrote: »
    [Caveat to the above post. I'm weird]

Today as we head into the Autumn season, Faaaaalll for any American folks, I decided World War one was "in". Current is soooo not. :D

1914(or 15, can't exactly recall) 15 jewel movement Trench watch in a silver Borgel case, an early and the most widespread attempt at keeping the outer world from the inner. The case of the watch is one piece and the movement and dial screw in from the foront. In an example where the case threads aren't worn out to feck they're actually quite "waterproof", certainly splash proof, which tends to mean their movements are usually in better nick than in other more open cases of the period. We had to wait until 1917 before a true "waterproof" wristwatch came along in the form of the "Submarine", an order from British submariners placed with a Scottish jewellers. It was also antimagnetic and used no ferrous metals in the movement, because of the batteries used in submarines while submerged. Another very long term grail....

You picked the worse possible time of the day to show off the hour hand! Cool watch though, what's the case size?

Cienciano wrote: »
    You picked the worse possible time of the day to show off the hour hand! Cool watch though, what's the case size?
    True. Me taking phone pics.. :D

cross-eyed-steve-buscemi.jpg

The case is 35mm. The Borgel cases generally came in IIRC 32mm and 35mm. I've seen a couple smaller, but none larger so far. I suppose at that early stage of the wristwatch game they were still working out the right size. Bigger meant (in very general terms) bigger movements and more accuracy, but more vulnerable to impacts, smaller meant less accuracy, but less vulnerable. I've found myself that wearing my bigger watches I'm much more aware to some degree of not hitting them off something, whereas with the sub 35mm stuff that isn't nearly in play to the same degree and youtend to forget you're wearing one.

In the days before wristwatches lattery became more bling jewellery for men(though they always had some of that going on) watches, even most tool watches were a lot smaller. Wearing a 40mm+ watch for most of the 20th century would have looked very odd to others. Unless you were an actual pilot or an actual diver(and even then the majority of such tool watches were sub 40mm). Men's watches for the most part ranged between 30-35mm(women's watches were positively microscopic). Men tended to be smaller too of course with smaller wrists compared to our more well fed population today. I do remember wearing my 30's Zenith(42mm) when I was in my late teens and getting comments about the "clock" on my wrist and unkind references to Flavor Flave.

3f478aa2-13c0-4177-bbd1-9e70ee2a89ad_public-enemy-Al-Pereira-Michael-Ochs-Archives-1988.jpg

:D

I'd reckon the big shift in size came in the 70's. Not just stylistically, but with the coming of quartz. Because of the tech of the time early quartz movements were large and that meant larger watches, most of the early stuff was lugless because the cases were so large for the time and they tried to hide it. Interestingly as the quartz tech progressed men's watches started to shrink with it. By the late 70's men's quartz dress watches were tiny by comparison to today's tastes, digitals grew large because of the more features means more sales kinda thing, but they weren't considered dressy.

A few pages ago I posted about my pair of Longines VHP quartz from the 80's and how my recent find was "large" at 37mm, compared to my dad's bought in 85 34MM. The advertising reflected that trend.

527779.jpg

The lady's version required an electron microscope to read. :D

Though I would reckon the ginormous watches trend of 45mm etc of latter years has passed its peak and now 38-42mm seems to be the sweet spot.

If I'm not mixing you up with someone else, you have a lovely collection of watches, or is that a collection of lovely watches.

Grand Seikos etc?

Thanks - I do have too many watches, but not too many GS :)

I have my eye on a mm300, ideally one like yours and not the newer prospex branding. If selling prices on chrono24 remotely resemble asking prices they are a very expensive watch.

How does it wear? Could you wear it with a suit / under a shirt?

Sorry for not responding until now. I wasn't watching the thread.

It wears very comfortably, and changing the bracelet for a strap is very easy. Off the bracelet, for pure comfort, I like it on a 20mm isofrane (but you will need the skinny seiko spring bars to fit that correctly). I am a little ambiguous on the looks of it on the isofrane - the short lugs mean most straps leave a gap between watch and strap and I don't like that - but on balance I like it and it is extremely comfortable.

Note, the black 20mm isoframe is noticeably better/more pliable than the navy/green one, at least when I was buying them 5 plus years ago.

A great alternative for much less money is the stock strap from the BFKs, which looks and feels great in my view) works really well. It fills the lug gap perfectly and the slightly flared style works really well. It is a bit of a dust magnet.

Wearing with a suit/shirt, in short, it depends. If you wear french cuffs with cuff links, it will slip under those absolutely fine. At 14.7 mm tall it's in the region of many dressy chronos using a valjoux 7753, for example, and people wear those with dress shirts all the time. It helps that the sides are not 'slab sided' and the watch overall sits low on the wrist.

Again for comparison a PO 2500 42mm is 14.2 mm thick. The MM300 is not so far off and wears similarly in my view. I personally quite frequently wear my PO and my MM300 with a suit and tie and would never not do so to thickness, but I also always wear french cuffs.

I have casual single-cuff shirts, and some of them work find but anything a little more snug does not. If you wore a tight fitting jumper over the shirt, compressing the cuff, you would be occasionally conscious of the cuffs hanging up on the watch and a need to slip it under the cuff if that sort of thing bothered you.

The bracelet itself can take a little bit of work to get a good fit due the long links, but you will get there, and the clasp design is certainly a bit clunky compared to modern watches. It's not the standard stamped Seiko clasp though, thankfully. However, clasp should probably be seen as a weak point, for what they are now charging for the watch at least. When it was better value, this was not an issue. I would stress, the clasp is perfectly secure and has never failed on me.

Hope that helps feel free to ask any other questions. I do wholeheartedly recommend the watch. They are tremendous.

edit: if you're around Dublin city centre and want to try it on drop me a line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,765 ✭✭✭893bet

Eoin wrote: »
    I get the logic behind the reserve displays, I just don't tend to rotate every few days - more like a week. So my autos are generally either completely dead or charged. That's just me, but I think they're a far more useful thing on a handwound.

Definitely handy on a manual.

I like it on my 1815 and glad I opted for the one with the “up down” indicator.

C8014-AAB-569-B-4-A45-B224-91288-DF28-A8-D.jpg

893bet wrote: »
    Definitely handy on a manual.

I like it on my 1815 and glad I opted for the one with the “up down” indicator.
    SNIP

That is one beautiful watch and one to be proud of. Top of the list as far as I am concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

That's an absolutely stunning watch 893. The hands, the minute markers, the font, the overall symmetry of everything on the dial is just perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Relaxing with a Stowa.

527999.JPG

528000.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

An yet another not so obvious watch (said with Aussie accent).
    528004.jpg

Relaxing with a Stowa.

A bit late for your coffee. Where's the Veltliner? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

A bit late for your coffee. Where's the Veltliner? :p

Actually it's tea. Drinking tea and thinking watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My Astronaut is back after its further tweaking.
    I missed it more than I thought, it fills a need I never knew I had until someone posted its history on here ;)

Little things like the hum, the vibration when you hack to change the time and the way it wears on the wrist.

MVIMG-20201002-111754.jpg MVIMG-20201002-111818.jpg MVIMG-20201002-111837.jpg MVIMG-20201002-111954.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

banie01 wrote: »
    My Astronaut is back after its further tweaking.
    I missed it more than I thought, it fills a need I never knew I had until someone posted its history on here ;)

Little things like the hum, the vibration when you hack to change the time and the way it wears on the wrist.

That is a truly lovely piece.

I can't believe its history and significance is not more widely known.

Well wear with your piece of sled driver history!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

My trusty G-Shock, been a while since I've worn it but time off the wrist makes one realise how good a watch it is. I lust over watches that are 5 or 6 times the price but offer far less in terms of functionality and reliability.

IMG-20201002-134503994.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement