Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

I had to read that first line a few times - so the Radiomir came after the Radiomir which was a mix of a Luminor that wasn't in existence at the time!. I think I know what you mean though but it is at total variance with your initial comment. There is a big difference in stating the 1940 case is a hybrid rather than 'looking' as if it is. Personally, I see no issue with wearing a Radiomir/leather strap with a suit - many do and it does not look inappropriate at all - even moreso if it has a blue dial. It would certainly be a boring world if all watches were made the same or people hadn't opinions on same. Personally, I would only purchase another Luminor once it has a domed crystal. Something like the 233 - but not much good if looking for one with an automatic movement. Similarly, not much use getting a 690 if your preference is for an automatic movement. And if I was getting an automatic movement it would be P400X - anything else is inferior in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

kostal2093 wrote: »
    I had to read that first line a few times - so the Radiomir came after the Radiomir which was a mix of a Luminor that wasn't in existence at the time!. I think I know what you mean though but it is at total variance with your initial comment. There is a big difference in stating the 1940 case is a hybrid rather than 'looking' as if it is. Personally, I see no issue with wearing a Radiomir/leather strap with a suit - many do and it does not look inappropriate at all - even moreso if it has a blue dial. It would certainly be a boring world if all watches were made the same or people hadn't opinions on same. Personally, I would only purchase another Luminor once it has a domed crystal. Something like the 233 - but not much good if looking for one with an automatic movement. Similarly, not much use getting a 690 if your preference is for an automatic movement. And if I was getting an automatic movement it would be P400X - anything else is inferior in my opinion

i had a 233, it was far too unwieldy to wear with any sort of long sleeve so it didnt last too long, and as for a debate around movements i understand they are important to some, personally its not something i get too hung up about as long as i like the look of the watch and it fits well,

sure the micro rotor is cool, but i dont spend that long looking at the back of my watch, even less so the 1313 as its a solid caseback :D

to add i wouldnt trade my 1313 for a 946 in a straight swap even though the 946 retails for more, it just doesnt do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The Radiomir is much classier in my opinion and more suitable for formal wear. The Luminor is the perfect weekend watch and ideal with jeans/t-shirt etc but not the best look with a suit. There is the story in one of the forums of the interviewee seeing the middle aged interviewer wearing a Luminor and deciding there and then that that was not who he wanted to work for !

Ah here! Not getting a job based on that? I just don't believe that for a second. As for t-shirts, nothing looks well with a t-shirt :pac: Maybe a casio.
    If this was reddit, i'd be downvoted to hell for that!

I can't decide if I like panerai's or not. At the moment, I like them, but next month I'll probably hate them. I do like the clean dial design on so many.

If movement is not a consideration, you are in the minority I feel. It is the movement that makes the watch special. This is why Zenith is so well regarded due to their El Primero movement. You should really save yourself money and stick with Quartz if movement/history is not important to you. As for trading a 1313 v a Radiomir 946 or equivalent - I wish you well with that. Enjoy your watch - you like it which is the main thing. To me the two watches are poles apart in terms of design and quality. But to each their own.

If movement is not a consideration, you are in the minority I feel. It is the movement that makes the watch special. This is why Zenith is so well regarded due to their El Primero movement. You should really save yourself money and stick with Quartz if movement/history is not important to you. As for trading a 1313 v a Radiomir 946 or equivalent - I wish you well with that. Enjoy your watch - you like it which is the main thing. To me the two watches are poles apart in terms of design and quality. But to each their own.

i know so you keep saying, and no need to wish me well, as i said it wouldnt swap if it was offered, the faux lume period wasnt panerais smartest move.

to say the watches are poles apart in design and quality is bizarre, i assume you have a 946 and this is a thinly veiled my watch is better than your watch attempt :P

My comments on the movement was panerai specific btw, most people buy a base Pam with a manual wind movement, thats about as authentic to the dna as you'll get, its for from micro rotors they began!

anyway enjoy whatever you have, if you are going to stick around try lose the superiority complex though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Cienciano wrote: »
    Ah here! Not getting a job based on that? I just don't believe that for a second.

If it is true, the candidate dodged a bullet by not working for someone like that. Some watches may not fit too well under a shirt, fair enough - but this sh1te about never wearing a sports watch with a suit is ridiculous.

Looks like I hit a nerve and yes - I will stick around. You should be glad I will as after today, you have at least learned that the 1940 case is not a hybrid between a Radiomir and a Luminor !!! How you came up with that is beyond me. I do not know why you keep mentioning about a trade - do you honestly think there is someone out there that would do such a trade. I wouldn't trade my 946 for any other Panerai but that is my prerogative and is based on my opinion. But I totally respect others opinion to the contrary. No superiority complex - just an opinion. I am sure I am entitled to that or do you regard yourself as so knowledgeable and privileged that any other opinions are irrelevant? I hope not but the fact you got rattled speaks volumes.

Looks like I hit a nerve and yes - I will stick around. You should be glad I will as after today, you have at least learned that the 1940 case is not a hybrid between a Radiomir and a Luminor !!! How you came up with that is beyond me. I do not know why you keep mentioning about a trade - do you honestly think there is someone out there that would do such a trade. I wouldn't trade my 946 for any other Panerai but that is my prerogative and is based on my opinion. But I totally respect others opinion to the contrary. No superiority complex - just an opinion. I am sure I am entitled to that or do you regard yourself as so knowledgeable and privileged that any other opinions are irrelevant? I hope not but the fact you got rattled speaks volumes.

You really havent, i was trying to be nice,

if i can be more blunt,

i dont really like the 1940s case and added to that i dont like the 946 (on dial power reserves are a bug bear of mine). i wouldnt buy one. Ive owned about 10 different panerai down the years and what ive learned is i like the radiomir case and i like the current version of the 1950s case, the other case types havent worked for me personally as a longer term ownership experience.

You came in here to basically tell me how amazing your watch was compared to mine but you seem offended that i dont agree.

not quite sure what your agenda is but as i said lose the complex and get involved, its a friendly forum.

btw im not the only one who views the 1940s case as a radiomir , luminor hybrid, which is what it looks like regardless of the history (which is basically irrelevant as that panerai no longer exists)

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/new-panerai-radiomir-1940-3-days-gmt-automatic-watches-sihh-2016/

https://theoandharris.com/shop/vintage-watches/panerai-radiomir-1940/

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/introducing-the-panerai-radiomir-1940-3-days-automatic-a-new-in-house-micro-rotor-caliber

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Sure a panerai is so massive that you could print the bible on the dial and it wouldn't look cluttered :p:p:pac::pac:

Have to say if you are going to the Panerai look I would prefer the crown guard, might as well be hung for a shepp as a lamb. As for movement....on a 3 hander does it matter really???

Fun conversation, and I do love the Panerai naming scheme. All the PAM number make it so accessible and interesting to outsiders.

Fitz II wrote: »
    Fun conversation, and I do love the Panerai naming scheme. All the PAM number make it so accessible and interesting to outsiders.

im sure there is some logic to it, but ive never figured out what it is :P

• Advertisement

On dial power reserves are a bug bear and yet you owned a 233! I came on here to give my opinion - nothing more and nothing less. I said I didn't like the use of the word 'Automatic' on the dial of your Luminor (I also had same watch but sold it to a work colleague). I mentioned AS AN OPINION that the watch does not compare to the 946 which I also own and is not comparable from a quality/spec point of view. You raised a counter argument dissing the 946 - perfectly entitled to do so. However, do you realise that putting in a comment that you wouldn't accept a swop despite acknowledging the price differential is derogatory - it was not that anyone offered a swap. It would be akin to me offering someone a Ford Focus to their BMW X5. It is insulting. There is no one anywhere offering such a swop. As I said enjoy your watch - I didn't for reasons stated. And as for 1940 case being a hybrid - Jesus wept. When you added 'history doesn't matter' - Jesus again wept.
    As for getting involved on this forum - that is what I am doing. I certainly wont be told how to act on the forum or do I need to get your approval in advance for anything I post? And, just to confirm - no complex here. Just a normal guy who lioes watches but hates waffle and BS. But above everything - hates patronising and smarm. I tell it as it is and whoever doesn't like it can filter

On dial power reserves are a bug bear and yet you owned a 233! I came on here to give my opinion - nothing more and nothing less. I said I didn't like the use of the word 'Automatic' on the dial of your Luminor (I also had same watch but sold it to a work colleague). I mentioned AS AN OPINION that the watch does not compare to the 946 which I also own and is not comparable from a quality/spec point of view. You raised a counter argument dissing the 946 - perfectly entitled to do so. However, do you realise that putting in a comment that you wouldn't accept a swop despite acknowledging the price differential is derogatory - it was not that anyone offered a swap. It would be akin to me offering someone a Ford Focus to their BMW X5. It is insulting. There is no one anywhere offering such a swop. As I said enjoy your watch - I didn't for reasons stated. And as for 1940 case being a hybrid - Jesus wept. When you added 'history doesn't matter' - Jesus again wept.
    As for getting involved on this forum - that is what I am doing. I certainly wont be told how to act on the forum or do I need to get your approval in advance for anything I post? And, just to confirm - no complex here. Just a normal guy who lioes watches but hates waffle and BS. But above everything - hates patronising and smarm. I tell it as it is and whoever doesn't like it can filter

I sold the 233, even though its variation of the power reserve is more pleasing than whats on the 946. So yes, its a bug bear ;)

When i said i wouldnt swap on for the other i was merely reinforcing that i really dont care for the aesthetic of the 946, so it wouldnt be for me, you seem to have taken it as a personal affront. You must be one of these panerai enthusiasts ive read about! i like them as a watch but only ever own one at a time and im not into the 'scene' but seems like you might be.

And you are over egging it a little with your ford focus bmw x5 (thinly veiled insult) but again i dont care, its just one of the watches i own, i enjoy it for what it is.

Jesus must be very sad, as i pointed out to you, numerous outlets refer to the case as a hybrid so why dont you run along and educate them. And do you disagree that the original panerai no longer exists? in its richemont guise its not what it was historically, its just another brand in a stable. Some of the original staff went and set up anonimo.

last thing, if you hate patrionisng and smarm so much it would be great if you practiced what you preached. Ive been posting here a long time, i dont think anyone else whas ever accused me of that, yet you with 5 or 6 posts do.

anyway if you really want to get involved post up your watches and introduce yourself instead of trying to wind me up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

banie01 wrote: »
    I think I may have turned my wife to the dark side! :pac:

I rolled out of bed this morning and got dressed for a day of dossing around the house with occasional bursts of laundry.

Anyway, she looked me up and down...
    From my Italia 90 West Germany top, down to my Adidas tackies (cos this is Limerick Citaaaaay! P)

Strange coincidence or a sign of the times, was walking through the park this afternoon and a young guy with a shopping bag asks me if I'd be interested in an Adidas T-shirt. Kinda thing you'd expect in Moore Street but not in a quiet leafy suburban park. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Does anyone mind if I interrupt the Panerai discussion for something else?

IMG-20200928-162551.jpg

I'm like a kid here just after a visit from Sinterklaas.

hitemfrank wrote: »

snip

I'm like a kid a here just after a visit from Sinterklaas.

thats class, i had the blue dialled one but never the black dial.

its a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Traded a Focus ST for a 335i. Dealer was happy with the trade and a few quid.

Just saying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

527708.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

527708.jpg

Definitely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,071 ✭✭✭✭unkel

after a visit from Sinterklaas.

I'm not that old :p

Sinterklaas.jpg

Cyrus wrote: »
    I sold the 233, even though its variation of the power reserve is more pleasing than whats on the 946. So yes, its a bug bear ;)

When i said i wouldnt swap on for the other i was merely reinforcing that i really dont care for the aesthetic of the 946, so it wouldnt be for me, you seem to have taken it as a personal affront. You must be one of these panerai enthusiasts ive read about! i like them as a watch but only ever own one at a time and im not into the 'scene' but seems like you might be.

And you are over egging it a little with your ford focus bmw x5 (thinly veiled insult) but again i dont care, its just one of the watches i own, i enjoy it for what it is.

Jesus must be very sad, as i pointed out to you, numerous outlets refer to the case as a hybrid so why dont you run along and educate them. And do you disagree that the original panerai no longer exists? in its richemont guise its not what it was historically, its just another brand in a stable. Some of the original staff went and set up anonimo.

last thing, if you hate patrionisng and smarm so much it would be great if you practiced what you preached. Ive been posting here a long time, i dont think anyone else whas ever accused me of that, yet you with 5 or 6 posts do.

anyway if you really want to get involved post up your watches and introduce yourself instead of trying to wind me up :D

Again, who are you to be telling anyone what to do on this forum. If I want to post my watches, I will decide that myself. I think you need to give your head a wobble and hopefully the patronising might stop. You come across as a spoilt brat whose opinion in their own mind trumps everyone’s else’s. As I said, I will call out smarm and BS when I see it and tough if you cannot deal with it. I can detect BS better than anyone else, so the fact that no one else has called you out should not be of any comfort. I have other watches apart from Panerai so as not an ‘enthusiast’ like you mention - which again is another disparaging remark of yours. I can’t abide people to lecture on stuff they have no idea about and then get ultra defensive when challenged. I couldn’t give a monkeys about what you did own/have - it is none of my business. But just realise that it does not give you licence to pontificate and bs.
    This forum is for people to express opinions - not to be lectured to - especially from members like yourself. As I say, suck it up and show some respect for others opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Again, who are you to be telling anyone what to do on this forum. If I want to post my watches, I will decide that myself. I think you need to give your head a wobble and hopefully the patronising might stop. You come across as a spoilt brat whose opinion in their own mind trumps everyone’s else’s. As I said, I will call out smarm and BS when I see it and tough if you cannot deal with it. I can detect BS better than anyone else, so the fact that no one else has called you out should not be of any comfort. I have other watches apart from Panerai so as not an ‘enthusiast’ like you mention - which again is another disparaging remark of yours. I can’t abide people to lecture on stuff they have no idea about and then get ultra defensive when challenged. I couldn’t give a monkeys about what you did own/have - it is none of my business. But just realise that it does not give you licence to pontificate and bs.
    This forum is for people to express opinions - not to be lectured to - especially from members like yourself. As I say, suck it up and show some respect for others opinions.

Jaysus, someone get this lad a snickers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Not in the least.

God that Milgauss is beautiful. Well wear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jesus, away for work for a couple of hours...
    Indeed and good advice that should be taken, not least by yourself. Opinions are fine, we all have quite diverging ones. Jumping in and getting snotty and suggesting other people should "suck it up" among other things, is not. No more please.

OK let's get back to watches.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Cyrus wrote: »
    on dial power reserves are a bug bear of mine

I would like one on mine, but only because it's hand-wound.

Any of the real watch enthusiasts out there have any opinion on marine watches - Stowa or Tourby or Dornblüth & Sohne? Looking at 40/41mm HW option - white dial and blue hands. Looking for a German manufacturer ideally.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've only seen the Stowa in the flesh so not much help there, but it looked like a very nice watch, especially at the price point. IIRC there are a couple of folks around here that have had or still have Stowas and I think there's a Dornbluth too in the mix.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Any of the real watch enthusiasts out there have any opinion on marine watches - Stowa or Tourby or Dornblüth & Sohne? Looking at 40/41mm HW option - white dial and blue hands. Looking for a German manufacturer ideally.

As a ‘real’ watch enthusiast I’d go with dornbluth simply because the buying process is more involved and bespoke. I’m on their mailing list so have had their brochure a few times but what stops me buying one is that the watches aren’t that dissimilar to my iwc Portuguese so as of yet I haven’t bought one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Eoin wrote: »
    I would like one on mine, but only because it's hand-wound.

Handier than you think on a automatic especially if its got complications that need setting and you tend to rotate watches. You can see you are low on juice when you are changing your watch and give it some energy to avoid having to reset it.

Almost bought a dornbluth et Sonne reciently...they are very nice watches, and have a cool story. But I think the drama is in getting a new one, waiting and custom ordering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Handwound all the way. Also only have experience with the stowa and the finishing and decoration is so far above anything else I’ve tried at that price point. If you wanted to try one for looks/size at little to no loss I think Aidankkk has a Marine 40mm for sale ex display. Not hand wound just the basic auto movement AFAIK.

It’ll wear large as I believe a marine watch should. Still have a thirst to try the Marine 36mm with small seconds. The peseux is very nicely finished in those. If my work attire was anywhere close to business/formal I’d probably have a preference for the smaller dial.

Not sure I’m far enough on the graph to call myself a ‘real’ watch enthusiast.

• Advertisement

Fitz II wrote: »
    Handier than you think on a automatic especially if its got complications that need setting and you tend to rotate watches. You can see you are low on juice when you are changing your watch and give it some energy to avoid having to reset it.

I get the logic behind the reserve displays, I just don't tend to rotate every few days - more like a week. So my autos are generally either completely dead or charged. That's just me, but I think they're a far more useful thing on a handwound.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement