Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-05-2020, 20:21   #316
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
The state wasn't releasing sufficient funding to P&T for improvements.

After restructuring and investment, still state-owned Telecom Eireann got to the stage of having a world class network and then it was let rot once privatised.
It got the world class network so it could be privatised and so the new owners could freewheel.
Advertisement
09-05-2020, 20:26   #317
JustAThought

Three ‘broadband’

I think I broke something in my brain trying to cope with their product ‘broadband’ that was rubbish and as dreadful as dial up only less reliable or fast - and then having to cope with their Indian script reading customer dis-service robots. Utter nightmare.
(3) thanks from:
09-05-2020, 20:48   #318
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Midnight View Post
It got the world class network so it could be privatised and so the new owners could freewheel.
Only partially - a lot of the investment was by governments with no intention to privatise.
11-05-2020, 16:11   #319
CrowdedBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAThought View Post
Three ‘broadband’

I think I broke something in my brain trying to cope with their product ‘broadband’ that was rubbish and as dreadful as dial up only less reliable or fast - and then having to cope with their Indian script reading customer dis-service robots. Utter nightmare.
It all depends on your area. For me the Three broadband has been great. Living in rural south Dublin gives me 40Mb/s which was about an order magnitude fast than I was on previously and for less cost than any other solution I can't complain.
11-05-2020, 16:12   #320
jonnny68

Three Ireland are one of therworst, the Pakistan call centre are an absolute nightmare to deal with, couldnt understand a word they were saying
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-05-2020, 18:00   #321
whisky_galore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumms View Post
The courier industry is one of THE most competitive industries going... couries are under severe pressure due to this... most operators i know have time definitive deliveries ie. guaranteed delivery by xx time or your money back... most companies have couriers delivering in too large a delivery area where they will struggle to meet their time commitment to the customer unless they drive over the limit, take chances and drop a package or two without a signature being obtained as they only have to redeliver the next day.. that said there is NO excuse for any courier 'leaving' a package either in a porch or anywhere without obtaining a signature... the height of carelessness and disregard..for the customer and their delivery.
I tried out for one of the companies mentioned. In fairness to the interviewer, she painted a realistic and not very pretty picture of what working there would be like. Reprimands for being 5 mins late, ok, but also for being 5 mins EARLY? Come on it's just Karen waiting for her delivery of cat accessories from Wish.com, not a consignment of a life saving vaccine.
Thanks but no thanks.
Thanks from:
11-05-2020, 18:07   #322
Antares35

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisky_galore View Post
I tried out for one of the companies mentioned. In fairness to the interviewer, she painted a realistic and not very pretty picture of what working there would be like. Reprimands for being 5 mins late, ok, but also for being 5 mins EARLY? Come on it's just Karen waiting for her delivery of cat accessories from Wish.com, not a consignment of a life saving vaccine.
Thanks but no thanks.
Sounds like you are exactly what DPD look for in their drivers
Thanks from:
11-05-2020, 23:49   #323
whisky_galore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares35 View Post
Not afraid of work, just unreasonable expectations.
Thanks from:
14-05-2020, 17:31   #324
Hotblack Desiato
dead for tax reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfasfos View Post
9 Months........I remember when it was 5 years .
A load of my neighbours who had been on the waiting list all got their phones installed at the same time during the mid 80s. Most of them had been waiting a few years, some of them almost ten years. This in Dublin! There were just no more lines available in the area until then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
The state wasn't releasing sufficient funding to P&T for improvements.
They were actually investing pretty heavily but most of it was going into state of the art digital exchanges. Most of the country was still on manual exchanges, the cities had automatic but they were mechanical, worn out and a maintenance nightmare. If they'd just added more and more lines onto that system it would have collapsed so they had to sort out the exchanges first.

Source: brother in law was a TE engineer in the 80s, made out like a bandit with the employee share ownership plan...

Didn't have to pull in a favour from him to get a phone though, we had had one since at least the early 70s, out of hundreds of houses in the immediate area there weren't many phones then and it wasn't uncommon to have someone knock on the door asking to make a call.
Advertisement
30-06-2020, 09:15   #325
scabo33

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabo33 View Post
Vodafone for me. My wife is Canadian and couldn’t understand how bad the broadband was and that Vodafone kept bringing speeds down and lying about it. She needed the speed for he remote works. She tore them a new a hole over the phone one day and I feel sorry for the poor person at the other end but it never happened since. She says in North America you have to lose your temper to get things done. Ireland are just too relaxed about everything
Eirclose second. Just filled my first ComReg complaint. All 5 neighbours have broadband and we can’t get it becusse of eircode database error. Getting no where with 6 months and we can’t move into our new house. Hopefully ComReg help
Thanks from:
30-06-2020, 09:21   #326
storker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares35 View Post
DPD only need someone who can throw the package out the window of the van in the general direction of the recipient's house while driving by at high speed.
30-06-2020, 13:17   #327
Ash.J.Williams

Quote:
Vodafone for me. My wife is Canadian and couldn’t understand how bad the broadband was and that Vodafone kept bringing speeds down and lying about it. She needed the speed for he remote works. She tore them a new a hole over the phone one day and I feel sorry for the poor person at the other end but it never happened since. She says in North America you have to lose your temper to get things done. Ireland are just too relaxed about everything
i'd rather be us than northamerican
30-06-2020, 13:20   #328
scabo33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash.J.Williams View Post
i'd rather be us than northamerican
Never had had any broadband probs while living there. We currently can’t get it here while neighbours all have it. Travel really opens up your mind and the Irish are just too relaxed about everything. Took me a year to get a mortgage nearly lost the house, just too relaxed everyone needs a good bollocking to get things done Ash
Thanks from:
30-06-2020, 23:06   #329
99nsr125

Quote:
I call bull****

She just says she's Canadian so she doesn't have to admit to being american eh ?
30-06-2020, 23:25   #330
corks finest

Quote:
Eirclose second. Just filled my first ComReg complaint. All 5 neighbours have broadband and we can’t get it becusse of eircode database error. Getting no where with 6 months and we can’t move into our new house. Hopefully ComReg help
Eir first by a mile, thousands of complaints about them
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion