Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Masks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Dropping of the 14 day self isolation? Why would anyone want that dropped? So good nothing was done about it.

Masks will probably be made mandatory, they are well aware of how people aren't wearing masks and actually want them to. People will only wear them if it's mandatory.

How the whole thing is enforced, I don't know but I hope people don't take it as an opportunity to be an asshole.

Like i said it was a memo to cabinet to drop it from the start of phase 3 and the order was just extended so the memo gets kicked down the road. Anyway the self isolation is only a recommendation its not even mandatory.

The point is a memo doesn't mean something comes into force. Few hurdles to jump first.

Thats the thing no enforcement you wont see high compliance, yes probably more than now but not to the level some are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's precisely because the restrictions are being lifted that mask use becomes more important.

Well put. Much better put than anything I've heard from the authorities on why they are important.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

Dropping of the 14 day self isolation? Why would anyone want that dropped? So good nothing was done about it.

Masks will probably be made mandatory, they are well aware of how people aren't wearing masks and actually want them to. People will only wear them if it's mandatory.

How the whole thing is enforced, I don't know but I hope people don't take it as an opportunity to be an asshole.

It will be difficult to enforce but I imagine the majority of people will abide especially when it is explained that wearing the mask will stop the spread of virus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Yes: valved
    GolfNut33 wrote: »
    This is some turn-around from the government. What's their reasoning for it?

Wasn't long ago they basically scoffed at the idea of wearing a mask, giving a list of reasons not to.

Call it an insurance bet by Leo. They are still scoffing, do not doubt that.

They have shielded themselves from having to wear wet tissues with Prof Cormican's special Dail laws, giving themselves a luxurious 2 hour working day inside Dail chambers.

Gone and taken over the National Concert Hall? for themelves, all because they have political allergies to wearing masks yet must be 2 meters apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

Like i said it was a memo to cabinet to drop it from the start of phase 3 and the order was just extended so the memo gets kicked down the road. Anyway the self isolation is only a recommendation its not even mandatory.

The point is a memo doesn't mean something comes into force. Few hurdles to jump first.

Thats the thing no enforcement you wont see high compliance, yes probably more than now but not to the level some are looking for.

Most people are not scumbags so they will wear a face covering if it is made mandatory, especially if people are told that wearing the mask helps prevent someone spreading it to a vulnerable person.

Of course there will be the few rebels and scumbags who will try to break the rule but the vast majority of people are mature enough to understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Yes: homemade
    Seanergy wrote: »
    When this was put to the HSE, they said the drop could be accounted for as the virus numbers in the community were also falling, she said, stating that the INMO disagrees with this assertion.

Post #2836 disagree's with the HSE assertion, as I do.

100%. Everything known from outbreaks of the past shows that masks even if not totally effective are far better than nothing at all!

NotMOL wrote: »
    Most people are not scumbags so they will wear a face covering if it is made mandatory, especially if people are told that wearing the mask helps prevent someone spreading it to a vulnerable person.

Of course there will be the few rebels and scumbags who will try to break the rule but the vast majority of people are mature enough to understand.

I wouldn't use the phrase scumbags, there'll be people who can't wear them for whatever reason, so let's not get into the branding of people who don't wear them as scumbags when there could be a genuine reason that we don't know of and that isn't any of our business.

There'll be rebels yes I agree but let's not be fully judgemental when there could be a reason, which is where a general blanket of calling scumbags isn't in anyones interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

They know it has to be done now before the city grinds to a halt with everyone avoiding or not being able to use public transport due to the 2 meters.

Masks mandatory on public transport = Public transport can start operating at capacity again.

Had to happen.

seamusk84 wrote: »
    They know it has to be done now before the city grinds to a halt with everyone avoiding or not being able to use public transport due to the 2 meters.

Masks mandatory on public transport = Public transport can start operating at capacity again.

Had to happen.

Even at 1m and 50% capacity it still won't be near enough for Dublin bus in particular

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Not sure we are waiting till next week or the week after.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1275890761691811845

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No: other
    It's precisely because the restrictions are being lifted that mask use becomes more important.
    Most people remain unconvinced by that in their actions, hence the likely mandatory requirement.

What exactly is the reality of the 20% or 50% capacity? I've seen very few buses in Dublin in the last week or so. Is it 20% of transport running with 20% of capacity?

Those that have a valid reason to not wear a mask should be obliged carry a Dr's letter giving them an exemption. This must be produced on request by any person in authority.

Seanergy wrote: »
    Not sure we are waiting till next week or the week after.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1275890761691811845

Clearly been a pretty big shift from NPHET here then with all of this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

saabsaab wrote: »
    Those that have a valid reason to not wear a mask should be obliged carry a Dr's letter giving them an exemption. This must be produced on request by any person in authority.

Exactly, like the people who had to go to work during the restrictions and had to have a letter from their employer.

only a Garda would be allowed to ask you for that. They aren't going to be on buses to start with

Exactly, like the people who had to go to work during the restrictions and had to have a letter from their employer.

that's completely different, there were active Garda checkpoints and only a garda can ask you to produce something like that.

You couldn't drive down the road without hitting a checkpoint. Enforcement of rules is going to be an issue here regardless. There isn't Garda manpower to do it

only a Garda would be allowed to ask you for that. They aren't going to be on buses to start with

Well, they were doing covid checkpoints until recently they can be redirected to public transport now.

is_that_so wrote: »
    What exactly is the reality of the 20% or 50% capacity? I've seen very few buses in Dublin in the last week or so. Is it 20% of transport running with 20% of capacity?

in terms of Dublin bus its full weekday service with 17 passengers on a double decker bus.

• Advertisement

Well they were doing covid checkpoints until recently they can be redirected to public transport now.
    Gardai only go on buses when called by the driver. Common sense will have to prevail or that's all they'll be doing. Some people will not be wearing masks for whatever reason. Turning that into a battleground is not a good call.

Well, they were doing covid checkpoints until recently they can be redirected to public transport now.

They were running checkpoints on overtime, all other normal duty were basically non existent as people weren't moving around. The DMR went a full day without any reports of theft which hasn't happened before.

Normal policing work is well and truly back underway now so the capacity that was there for checkpoints won't be there to police public transport.

Its not a case of redirecting

in terms of Dublin bus its full weekday service with 17 passengers on a double decker bus.
    Fair enough. That's not what it looks like in numbers of buses.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Fair enough. That's not what it looks like in numbers of buses.

You've got a small bit of spare capacity with a reduction in the express services but not alot. Passed by Donnybrook this evening and there was a handful of buses in the yard.

that's completely different, there were active Garda checkpoints and only a garda can ask you to produce something like that.

You couldn't drive down the road without hitting a checkpoint. Enforcement of rules is going to be an issue here regardless. There isn't Garda manpower to do it

They can employ more bus and train inspectors. They seem to have the authority to ask for travel passes and ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

No: I will wait for the HSE to recommend
    Can't be made mandatory without legislation. Who will enforce?
    Have the Gardai been granted more powers?
    It's not legal without framework and legislation.

Leo can't click his fingers. This isn't Russia or China

They can employ more bus and train inspectors. They seem to have the authority to ask for travel passes and ID.

I love how you just throw out ideas without thinking of any practicalities. Its just unreal.

Ah sure just employ more people, you and I both know its not that simple is it ??

We'll need to wait to see the details of what this memo proposes, especially on the question of non-compliance.

I love how you just throw out ideas without thinking of any practicalities. Its just unreal.

Ah sure just employ more people

I don't care how they manage it or how it's enforced, it's for public health.

• Advertisement

I don't care how they manage it or how it's enforced, it's for public health.

Well then don't come out with statements on enforcement that you know aren't practical.

Just employ more people, simple as that is your proposal, again practicalities.

Then when challenged you revert to i dont care or how its enforced. Without enforcment you won't get the desired compliance its quite simple.

If they're going to do it there needs to be an enforcement mechanism, gardai don't have the resources, unions without a doubt will put the foot down if its left to drivers.

I'm not aruging for or against I'm thinking of the practicalities of enforcment which is going to be very difficult without a transport police force which we should have set up years ago but thats another story altogether

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement