Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No: other
    Seeing as most if not all shops have staff who are enforcing queues to allow people in, just make it mandatory for shops to also only allow in people wearing masks. That way people will take it up.

Once people see everyone else wearing them, then it'll become habitual. At the moment there isn't a critical mass of people wearing them so as to make it appear normal to increase uptake.
    That's a great way to lose business when you've just opened up. Supermarkets and essential shops have managed for months without enforcing mask wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Yes: to protect myself and others
    Disappointing I have to say. Maybe an ad on TV highlighted how masks might save lives etc could help

https://twitter.com/otuathail/status/1275471447994052608

• Registered Users Posts: 28,010 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Things getting bizarre in Brazil...
    A BRAZILIAN FEDERAL judge has ordered President Jair Bolsonaro to comply with local rules to wear a face mask whenever he is outdoors in the capital of Brasilia. In recent weeks, a sometimes unmasked Bolsonaro has joined throngs of people protesting against Brazil’s congress and supreme court and he has often visited bakeries and outdoor food stalls, drawing crowds around him.

https://www.thejournal.ie/brazil-court-rules-president-must-wear-face-masks-5130881-Jun2020/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Air France not accepting cloth masks on board, only surgical masks..

wadacrack wrote: »
    Disappointing I have to say. Maybe an ad on TV highlighted how masks might save lives etc could help

https://twitter.com/otuathail/status/1275471447994052608
    They are the kind of numbers I've seen and a lot lower in supermarkets and shops. Distancing, hand hygiene, cough etiquette and stay at home are all very easy sells as all of these definitely help. A mask policy that has suddenly changed tack as we seem to be nearing the end of this is really not and we've also got this far without a perceived need to wear masks. On top of that mask usage is far more complicated than just shove it on your face.

I also reckon the question in their market research is bit like "Have you been a good boy or girl?" for Christmas. People will say yes to it because there is no way to check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

is_that_so wrote: »
    They are the kind of numbers I've seen and a lot lower in supermarkets and shops. Distancing, hand hygiene, cough etiquette and stay at home are all very easy sells as all of these definitely help. A mask policy that has suddenly changed tack as we seem to be nearing the end of this is really not and we've also got this far without a perceived need to wear masks. On top of that mask usage is far more complicated than just shove it on your face.

Global Pandemic over?

I must have missed the memo but, Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Back at the beginning, when few people I encountered were wearing masks, I thought it was insulting to hear the insistence that most people would not be correctly wearing/removing or disposing of masks.

Now, unfortunately, I see the evidence (literally) staring me in the face. The number of people with masks at half mast covering their mouth only, or round their necks, or faffing around with them as they go is unreal. Add to that the amount of used masks thrown off and dumped in car parks to blow around in the wind!

Today, I watched a woman emerging from the local health centre taking off her mask by the front, smoothing it with both hands and then carefully rolling it into a ball before putting it into her handbag. Then, she rubbed her hands all over her face for good measure!

I have no idea how this can be addressed. The problem seems to be that people don't know that they don't know how to use a mask properly, so they don't even attempt to find out :(

Hah that could have been me. Consider this - the healthcare centre requires a mask to be worn. We all know that the only thing masks are efficient for is stopping sneezes and coughs from travelling. I don’t particularly care if I catch covid, in a way I’d like to get it over with. Obviously I don’t want to pass it on to anyone. So I wear a mask in situations where it’s recommended for the sake of other people, but I only have a few masks so they get folded up and reused. I take it off however I like, because it has finished its job of stopping particles if I’m asymptomatic. And if I’m asymptomatic what goddamn difference does touching the mask make?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Now, unfortunately, I see the evidence (literally) staring me in the face. The number of people with masks at half mast covering their mouth only, or round their necks, or faffing around with them as they go is unreal.

I have been out and about a good bit in the past week or so and I have to say the level of mask usage is the highest I have seen it. Still a relatively small percentage, but some of the messaging must be getting through.

I haven't seen anyone wear the simple device incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,010 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Asymptomatic carriers can still transmit the virus, droplets on mask could transfer to hands and then to surfaces that some one else might touch and they then touch their face and on it goes.

Risk of this versus such a carrier coughing and sneezing?
    Risk of this versus such a carrier touching their face?
    Risk of this versus such a carrier touching such surfaces regardless?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Anyone recommend where to get those black fabric masks that you can reuse and wash anywhere online? Preferably local.

I've seen one or two websites but they seem to be €10+ each...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Yes: surgical
    PCros wrote: »
    Anyone recommend where to get those black fabric masks that you can reuse and wash anywhere online? Preferably local.

I got a bunch of them on living social. They are Chinese but good quality. The plain black one is very comfortable. The one with the fake valve is good too, but when you stick a filter in it it's hard to breathe. More stifling than even a n95.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

PCros wrote: »

Not sure if they're the same type but have seen them in Circle K for 5 euro, wife seems happy with hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Imagine, February/March 2020 - everyone starts wearing face coverings. It's compulsory. I wonder how many deaths and economic damage could have been avoided?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

dfx- wrote: »

Is it legal?
    I mean when you buy a ticket you agree with their T&C, but then out of a sudden can they change their T&C?

Can they demand everyone to wear gas masks with an oxygen cylinder behind you back starting from tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Saw this elsewhere. A guide to different mask types and their efficiency

Thoughts? https://ibb.co/DfkqkN6

DfkqkN6

(Image won't embed for some reason)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭manor

dfx- wrote: »

Just received in a container load into our warehouse of surgical masks for our client, he will be selling them on myppe.ie

Not sure when his website is live or how much he will charge.

ShineOn7 wrote: »

DfkqkN6

I'm getting a message from my AV that there's a dodgy/malicious link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes: homemade
    From rte this evening:

Wearing a mask decreases your risk of spreading or catching the virus by 99%.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0624/1149351-covid-19-ten-things-to-know/

Where did this 99% come from? What type of mask are they talking about? God who writes this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Yes: valved
    Darwin wrote: »
    From rte this evening:

Wearing a mask decreases your risk of spreading or catching the virus by 99%.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0624/1149351-covid-19-ten-things-to-know/

Where did this 99% come from? What type of mask are they talking about? God who writes this stuff

I'd imagine Doc Brown wrote that himself, it's in his style of langauge.

Prof O'Neil is RTE's and Newstalk go2 Immunologist. He sings of the party hymn sheet so never rocks the boat but somehow his excitable and quiet likeable character is constantly dirting the mask message with chaotic noise. I'd personally prefer if he dissapeared at this stage, more harm than good.

No 6 from his top ten is a prime example.

6. Hugs If you hug your grandchildren, make it a quick hug.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Home made masks with a pocket and kitchen towel can work very well

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2020/06/wear-your-mask/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

na1 wrote: »
    Is it legal?
    I mean when you buy a ticket you agree with their T&C, but then out of a sudden can they change their T&C?

Can they demand everyone to wear gas masks with an oxygen cylinder behind you back starting from tomorrow?

I don't see why not. I imagine somewhere in the T&C it allows them to change it if they need.

It will be interesting if others do likewise

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Probably a good reason, that's just poor information.

Remember you have types of masks, different manufactures and types of materials etc along with different shaped faces.

Screen-Shot-2020-06-24-at-19.40.12-e1593024269684.png

Screen-Shot-2020-06-24-at-19.39.51-e1593024253944.png

Seanergy wrote: »
    'An absolute scandal': Ireland has the highest Covid infection rate for healthcare workers in the world, committee told

One nurse was sent home for wearing a face mask during their shift, Ní Sheaghdha said, stating that the worker was told that it was not HSE policy.

The matter became an industrial issue.....

When the HSE face mask policy for healthcare workers was rolled out on 22 April, the infection rate of workers dropped dramatically.

When this was put to the HSE, they said the drop could be accounted for as the virus numbers in the community were also falling, she said, stating that the INMO disagrees with this assertion.

Post #2836 disagree's with the HSE assertion, as I do.

Seanergy wrote: »
    When this was put to the HSE, they said the drop could be accounted for as the virus numbers in the community were also falling, she said, stating that the INMO disagrees with this assertion.

Post #2836 disagree's with the HSE assertion, as I do.

Healthcare workers working in a high risk environment and the HSE comes out with a drop in cases in the community. What a load of bull, they still worked in a high risk environment with Covid19 patients everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Masks to be made compulsory on public transport services.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,201 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Masks to be made compulsory on public transport services.

No its memo to cabinet from Shane Ross.

Could well be made mandatory but far from a done deal. He also brought a memo 2 weeks ago on dropping of the 14 day self isolation and nothing was done about it.

A memo is to start a discussion at cabinet but by no means a guarantee of something to be implemented as its likely to be the last cabinet before a new government and Ross wont be in the next.

No its memo to cabinet from Shane Ross.

Could well be made mandatory but far from a done deal. He also brought a memo 2 weeks ago on dropping of the 14 day self isolation and nothing was done about it.

A memo is to start a discussion at cabinet but by no means a guarantee of something to be implemented as its likely to be the last cabinet before a new government and Ross wont be in the next.

Dropping of the 14 day self isolation? Why would anyone want that dropped? So good nothing was done about it.

Masks will probably be made mandatory, they are well aware of how people aren't wearing masks and actually want them to. People will only wear them if it's mandatory.

How the whole thing is enforced, I don't know but I hope people don't take it as an opportunity to be an asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

This is some turn-around from the government. What's their reasoning for it?

Wasn't long ago they basically scoffed at the idea of wearing a mask, giving a list of reasons not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Yes: other
    'The issue was discussed at a Cabinet sub-committee meeting on Wednesday and it is expected that the mandatory mask rule will take effect in the next week or two, although no date has been set.'

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/masks-to-be-made-compulsory-on-public-transport-1.4287678

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Yes: other
    is_that_so wrote: »
    They are the kind of numbers I've seen and a lot lower in supermarkets and shops...A mask policy that has suddenly changed tack as we seem to be nearing the end of this is really not and we've also got this far without a perceived need to wear masks...

It's precisely because the restrictions are being lifted that mask use becomes more important.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement