Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options
  • 27-02-2020 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Just seen that the UAE tour has been finished up today due to the virus. That's shortened by 2 stages.

Also talk now of races in northern Italy being scoped for cancellation. I imagine more will follow in neighbouring countries. Even the big 3 tours must be reviewing the situation now.

Its a tough one, as much as I enjoy watching cycling I think it's the right decision for the riders & teams.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/final-uae-tour-stages-called-off-over-coronavirus-fears/

Comments

Yeah right call I think and the GC was over. Bizarre changes to the route in that race though, they had to do the same climb two days this week.

In Italy we could be at risk of losing Strada Bianche which is next week and Milan San Remo, as well as some of the womens races and the Giro due to start in Hungary on May 9th.

I think some riders have already changed their programs in case the Italian races are called off, Wout Van Aert is one of them.

I want to see bike racing but not at the cost of anyone's health.

The other thing I saw mentioned briefly somewhere was the effect on manufacturing of bikes and components in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

The other thing I saw mentioned briefly somewhere was the effect on manufacturing of bikes and components in China.

I was in a shop today and the staff there were mentioning the same. Might be a good time to stock up on parts before prices rise

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Reports two participants from Italian team have tested positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

When I heard of the outbreak in Northern Italy Immediately thought that's going to impact on Milan San Remo. Long time away but it may be cancelled due to the gathering of people to watch it along the route

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    When I heard of the outbreak in Northern Italy Immediately thought that's going to impact on Milan San Remo. Long time away but it may be cancelled due to the gathering of people to watch it along the route

Strade Bianche is 7th March they’ll have to call on that soon. I expect to see Italian races cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Reports two participants from Italian team have tested positive.

Bennet and Dunbar being tested, among others https://www.rte.ie/amp/1118069/

Milan San Remo had some doubts earlier this year due to the state of the Poggio.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/milan-san-remo-doubt-e10-million-poggio-repair-hangs-balance-445781

Ouch for RCS if they footed the bill for repairs and the race was called off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

On a more local level, if the virus arrives here then club spins and all the associated spluttering and snotting will have to be reassessed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Yes. Cycling news had just mentioned covid 19 fears but then saw on BBC last night that 2 Italian riders tested positive

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/51667939

Makes me think that the number of reported cases is only the tip of the iceberg, especially in less developed countries.

I'd also presumed that cycling being outdoors and moving may not be too contagious an environment. But thinking more about it , compact bunches with guys riding and breathing hard, spitting and snotting could potentially be lethal.

Guess if you are under the weather you won't be cycling but if it's contagious before symptoms emerge and can be transmitted in an apparently healthy state that's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

I would suggest that if, and when, covid-19 arrives in Ireland in earnest, cyclists won't be among the most at-risk groups.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

1bryan wrote: »
    I would suggest that if, and when, covid-19 arrives in Ireland in earnest, cyclists won't be among the most at-risk groups.

Health wise they might not be, but as lots of it's done in groups, and there's spitting and clearing of throat in close proximity, particularly in races and sportives, they could be carriers who are asymptomatic.

Therefore going around seemingly healthy, and passing it on.

Now I've been on a bus all week due to pesky chest infection, and if its spreads anywhere, guarantee, morning busses and Luas are prime areas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Yes. Cycling news had just mentioned covid 19 fears but then saw on BBC last night that 2 Italian riders tested positive

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/51667939

Makes me think that the number of reported cases is only the tip of the iceberg, especially in less developed countries.

I'd also presumed that cycling being outdoors and moving may not be too contagious an environment. But thinking more about it , compact bunches with guys riding and breathing hard, spitting and snotting could potentially be lethal.

Guess if you are under the weather you won't be cycling but if it's contagious before symptoms emerge and can be transmitted in an apparently healthy state that's another story.

Ride Audax. Hundreds of km pretty much on your own...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

UAE tour cancelled. Declan Quigley has tweeted that they're on lockdown in the Crowne Plaza, Abu Dhabi.

It's easy to be blasé and think "not so bad!" but fcuk it, a hotel room is a hotel room, and I wouldn't fancy being restricted to the confines of one for a fortnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Ride Audax. Hundreds of km pretty much on your own...
    Good practice for the post apocalypse too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

To a certain extent, you are correct, reasonably fit healthy individuals with robust immune systems are less likely to suffer catastrophic effects from catching coronavirus. I’ve seen this a good bit online, ‘Ah sure it’s just like a bad flu, I’ll be grand...’

But they are no less likely to catch it and, as pointed out, on a spin with mates who are coughing and clearing phlegm, maybe even a bit more likely in some circumstances.

The issue is that, if you do pick it up, someone you pass it to, even in the days before you realise you have it, might have much more serious consequences. Or someone they pass it on to. From the data so far, the mortality rates in the elderly (70+, and even more so from 80+) are exponentially higher than the young fit population.

The idea is to minimise the spread in the general population to protect the more vulnerable members. So a group spin is pretty minor in the great scheme of things, but a lot of minor changes might help curtail the spread.

[preach/]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Good advice - especially for those of us with elderly parents.

dakar wrote: »
    The issue is that, if you do pick it up, someone you pass it to, even in the days before you realise you have it, might have much more serious consequences. Or someone they pass it on to. From the data so far, the mortality rates in the elderly (70+, and even more so from 80+) are exponentially higher than the young fit population.

[preach/]

scaremongering much?

your statement needs to be qualified. Exponentially higher, but exponentially higher than very small numbers. And, the vast majority with pre-existing, underlying conditions (respiratory, diabetes, and particularly dangerous for smokers).

Its right to take precautions, and your comment about needing to be careful about passing it on to older folks, is spot on. But lets not get carried away. This isn't going to wipe out everyone over 70.

scaremongering much?

your statement needs to be qualified. Exponentially higher, but exponentially higher than very small numbers. And, the vast majority with pre-existing, underlying conditions (respiratory, diabetes, and particularly dangerous for smokers).

Its right to take precautions, and your comment about needing to be careful about passing it on to older folks, is spot on. But lets not get carried away. This isn't going to wipe out everyone over 70.

CCDC figures, the most reliable ones I’ve seen so far, as they have the biggest sample size.

No, not everyone over 70, or 80, but 8% and 14.8% are pretty high figures. And ok, the sample size is relatively small (for now) but 1:500 mortality rate for the 20-49 age group vs 1:7 for the 80+ group is an exponential difference.

You’re correct about co-morbidity too, the figures are there for those.

Being careful about passing it on to older folks means being careful about passing it on full stop. You might not be worried about an individual in your life, but can you say that about everyone you come in contact with?

I have no interest in scaremongering, but a series of small changes can make a big difference.

dakar wrote: »
    CCDC figures, the most reliable ones I’ve seen so far, as they have the biggest sample size.

No, not everyone over 70, or 80, but 8% and 14.8% are pretty high figures. And ok, the sample size is relatively small (for now) but 1:500 mortality rate for the 20-49 age group vs 1:7 for the 80+ group is an exponential difference.

You’re correct about co-morbidity too, the figures are there for those.

Being careful about passing it on to older folks means being careful about passing it on full stop. You might not be worried about an individual in your life, but can you say that about everyone you come in contact with?

I have no interest in scaremongering, but a series of small changes can make a big difference.

Where do you draw the line? Based on the figures above, it's far less impactful across different age demographics than the common flu (albeit incorporating more than 1 strain - again, sourcing info from the CDC), yet we don't cancel club rides for that?

Where do you draw the line? Based on the figures above, it's far less impactful across different age demographics than the common flu (albeit incorporating more than 1 strain - again, sourcing info from the CDC), yet we don't cancel club rides for that?

And btw, your snide, personal attack on me didn't go unnoticed.

Apologies, that genuinely wasn’t intended to be personal. I’ll depersonalise it, one may not be worried about the direct impact on one’s immediate circle.

And I draw the line at minor changes that I can make to my life that have minimal impact on my life, but might have a huge impact on someone else’s. As I would if I had the flu.

And with that, I’ll withdraw gracefully. Have a good day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

if theres a lot of cases appearing over the next few weeks i can see a lot of events beemn cancelled until the summer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I am more concerned about the affect on local races. Selfish as I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Could end up with an end of season top heavy program. Which may not necessarily be a bad thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Could end up with an end of season top heavy program. Which may not necessarily be a bad thing...

Definitely a glass half-full view :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I must confess to having doubts about the 312.

I don't see it, people are on holidays, back to school, or kids are starting back. I imagine that cancelled races will struggle to get back on the calendar. I mean I'd love it but I don't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I foolishly thought this would be a thread about how much cycling we could do when the country shut down!

a148pro wrote: »
    I foolishly thought this would be a thread about how much cycling we could do when the country shut down!

It could be, if your single. If work closes down I would plan to just f off up the hills every day but now that there are mini people.in my house I wouldn't be let. Not sure why though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

CramCycle wrote: »
    It could be, if your single. If work closes down I would plan to just f off up the hills every day but now that there are mini people.in my house I wouldn't be let. Not sure why though.

I find the presence of the mini people makes the need to hit the hills all the stronger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

As I work for a company that supplies various PPE items to factories there is real panic & short supply of essential items starting to happen. If workplaces don't shut due to the virus the lack of various PPE will cause them to shut temporarily.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement