Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Road to Tokyo 2020 - Irish Olympic News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

Dodge wrote: »
    The sports that we are looking for qualifiers through rankings now all finish in May/June next year (inc Athletics, Judo, Golf, Triathlon, Modern Pentathlon)

We’ll know swimming in April

The boxing qualifiers are the big ones for us

And track cycling. Although one would need a doctorate to understand fully the qualification criteria in some events!

So 2020 has dawned and we are now in an Olympic year Yippeee! Team Ireland now at 47 with loads more opportuinities to add to the team in the coming months. We can get qualifiers by Ranking or qualifying at an event or meeting a qualifying time. With respect to rankings our situation is as follows:

Athletics: We have 6 athlethes in qualifying positions based on world rankings. Leon Reid and Marcus Lawler in 200m, Mark English 800m, Tom Barr 400mh, Phil Healy 200m (w) and Michelles Finn 3000m SC (w). In addition there are one or two more that are bubbling under and could make the grade. On the flip side Tom Barr aside the others could all be overtaken in the rankings easily enough.

Badminton; Nat Nguyen is high enough ranked in Mens single to be fairly safe. In Mixed Doubles Chloe and Sam Magee are a few spots away from qualifying. They had a poorish last few months of the year and dropped out of the qualification spots. Will need a few good performances over the next few weeks.

Cycling ( Track): Currently our womens Madison Team is in a qualification place with 1 world cup event and world championships left. Mens Madison team is just outside a qualification spot but would need a serious World Championship to qualify.

Golf: Ireland will definitely qualify 2 men and 2 women based on the rankings. Most probably McElroy and Lowery and in Womens Maguire and Meadows.

Judo. Both Ben and Megan Fletcher are well inside the qualification rankings and barring a poor run of results in next few months should be ok. Nathon Burns spent much of 2019 in an automatic qualifying spot as well but slipped out in the last few weeks. Hopefully he can get back into a qualifying place in 2020.

Modern Pentathlon: Arthur Lanigan O'Keefe on a good day could challenge for a medal but he was dogged by injury in the latter half of 2019 and is currently well down thwe rankings. If he back to his best he should climb back to a qualifying place or if managegs to finish in top 3 at World Championships that would qualify him too. Sive Brassil isnt that too far outside a ranking spot but would need a run of really good results this Spring to make it.

Swimming: Currently our mens 4 x 100m Medley relay and 4 x 200m freestyle relay are in qualification spots. In reality it would be a surprise if either qualified butthe Medley relay team has probley the best chance. Individual swimmers can still qualify based on times.

Triathlon: Currently both Russell White and Carolyn Hayes are in qualifying places albeit right on the bubble. Hayes is improving and should make it and hopefully While can as well but he cannot afford to drop a place.

There are no other sports where Ireland is close to getting a spot based on ranking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,750 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Oldira wrote: »
    So 2020 has dawned and we are now in an Olympic year Yippeee! Team Ireland now at 47 with loads more opportuinities to add to the team in the coming months. We can get qualifiers by Ranking or qualifying at an event or meeting a qualifying time. With respect to rankings our situation is as follows:

Athletics: We have 6 athlethes in qualifying positions based on world rankings. Leon Reid and Marcus Lawler in 200m, Mark English 800m, Tom Barr 400mh, Phil Healy 200m (w) and Michelles Finn 3000m SC (w). In addition there are one or two more that are bubbling under and could make the grade. On the flip side Tom Barr aside the others could all be overtaken in the rankings easily enough.

Badminton; Nat Nguyen is high enough ranked in Mens single to be fairly safe. In Mixed Doubles Chloe and Sam Magee are a few spots away from qualifying. They had a poorish last few months of the year and dropped out of the qualification spots. Will need a few good performances over the next few weeks.

Cycling ( Track): Currently our womens Madison Team is in a qualification place with 1 world cup event and world championships left. Mens Madison team is just outside a qualification spot but would need a serious World Championship to qualify.

Golf: Ireland will definitely qualify 2 men and 2 women based on the rankings. Most probably McElroy and Lowery and in Womens Maguire and Meadows.

Judo. Both Ben and Megan Fletcher are well inside the qualification rankings and barring a poor run of results in next few months should be ok. Nathon Burns spent much of 2019 in an automatic qualifying spot as well but slipped out in the last few weeks. Hopefully he can get back into a qualifying place in 2020.

Modern Pentathlon: Arthur Lanigan O'Keefe on a good day could challenge for a medal but he was dogged by injury in the latter half of 2019 and is currently well down thwe rankings. If he back to his best he should climb back to a qualifying place or if managegs to finish in top 3 at World Championships that would qualify him too. Sive Brassil isnt that too far outside a ranking spot but would need a run of really good results this Spring to make it.

Triathlon: Currently both Russell White and Carolyn Hayes are in qualifying places albeit right on the bubble. Hayes is improving and should make it and hopefully While can as well but he cannot afford to drop a place.

There are no other sports where Ireland is close to getting a spot based on ranking.

Don't forget boxing! Kelly Harrington will be a strong fancy to qualify, probably Michaela Walsh too.

I assume the plan is to enter a male and female boxer into every single weight division, so we would be hoping for a surprise qualifier or two.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Don't forget boxing! Kelly Harrington will be a strong fancy to qualify, probably Michaela Walsh too.

I assume the plan is to enter a male and female boxer into every single weight division, so we would be hoping for a surprise qualifier or two.

I,m Not! The above is just those who can qualify based on rankings. I will do another preview on those who can qualify in other ways...boxing,rowing,sailing, Rugby 7s, swimming etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Rugby 7s men have 1 shot at the repechage for 1 spot.
    They will have to win the tournament to be held next June
    France, Samoa will be toughest challengers. Shame tournament only has 12 and not 16 spots like in rio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Strazdas wrote: »

13 weight categories. 8 men, 5 women. I think we’ll qualify 8/9 with average luck

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

2 marathon runners have booked their place

- Paul Pollock with a 2.10.25 NI record in Valencia in December

- Stephen Scullion qualified this morning with a top 5 finish in Houston Marathon

KSU wrote: »
    2 marathon runners have booked their place

- Paul Pollock with a 2.10.25 NI record in Valencia in December

- Stephen Scullion qualified this morning with a top 5 finish in Houston Marathon

Great News. TRhat one went under the radar on me. I hadnt realised an athlerthe could qualify that way. Fair play to him.

Great News. TRhat one went under the radar on me. I hadnt realised an athlerthe could qualify that way. Fair play to him.

Gold label Marathon's - top 5 finish counts as an automatic qualifier

World Marathon Majors (Berlin, Chicago, New York, London Tokyo and Boston) - Top 10 finish counts. This means Fionualla McCormack qualifies based on her Chicago performance (though also under the time)

There’s an issue with the marathon qualifiers though

They have set a cap of 80 on the men’s marathon field. That was to be made up of finishers through (a) placing in qualifying marathons, (b) those who reached a very low time (7 and a half minutes quicker than was needed for Rio) and (c) the new IAAF rankings

Then vaporfly happened.

There is already 80 men with the time and more, like Scullion, who qualify through the placing.

It remains to be seen how they deal with a supposedly strict limit of 80 and what is likely to be 120 or so qualifiers.

Hopefully Scullion will be OK, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he is forced out

• Advertisement

There’s an issue with the marathon qualifiers though

They have set a cap of 80 on the men’s marathon field. That was to be made up of finishers through (a) placing in qualifying marathons, (b) those who reached a very low time (7 and a half minutes quicker than was needed for Rio) and (c) the new IAAF rankings

Then vaporfly happened.

There is already 80 men with the time and more, like Scullion, who qualify through the placing.

It remains to be seen how they deal with a supposedly strict limit of 80 and what is likely to be 120 or so qualifiers.

Hopefully Scullion will be OK, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he is forced out

Is there 80 after the 3 per country limit kicks in though? I don't think anyone will get in off the ranking but off top of my head I think auto qualifiers probably won't be impacted. I believe Scullion's performance at the weekend knocked Felicien MUHITIRA out of a qualifying spot despite him only being ranked 322nd on the world rankings

80 in total (with a national limit of 3 per NOC)

Qualification process:
    An athlete can qualify in one of two ways:
     Achieve the entry standard within the respective qualification period
     Qualify by virtue of his IAAF World Ranking Position in the selected event at the
    end of the respective qualification period.

In both cases, the maximum quota per NOC per event must be respected and the number of entries per event (in section A.) cannot be exceeded.

 The first 10 runners in the Men’s Marathon and in the Women’s Marathon in the IAAF World Athletics Championships Doha 2019 and the top 5 finishers at the IAAF Gold Label Marathons and the top 10 finishers at the Marathon Major Series (Tokyo, Boston, London, Berlin, Chicago and New York) held during the qualification period will also be considered as having achieved the entry standard.

They basically didn’t see that many get the times. The overall limit is 1900 athletes. Maybe other events will see their maximum reduced to help the marathon

Qualification process:
     Qualify by virtue of his IAAF World Ranking Position in the selected event at the

In both cases, the maximum quota per NOC per event must be respected and the number of entries per event (in section A.) cannot be exceeded.

 The first 10 runners in the Men’s Marathon and in the Women’s Marathon in the IAAF World Athletics Championships Doha 2019 and the top 5 finishers at the IAAF Gold Label Marathons and the top 10 finishers at the Marathon Major Series (Tokyo, Boston, London, Berlin, Chicago and New York) held during the qualification period will also be considered as having achieved the entry standard.

They basically didn’t see that many get the times. The overall limit is 1900 athletes. Maybe other events will see their maximum reduced to help the marathon

Qualification process:

Yes I am aware my point is that currently according to rankings Top 5 finish seems to supersede auto time.

Currently Felicien Muhitira is the last automatic qualifier with the 67th quickest based on time (when you exclude the 3 NOC extra's but 322nd on time overall)

There are 13 auto qualifiers prior to this weekend. Scullion's placing is the only one which will influence things and I believe this will supersede the time and eliminate Felicien.

But that’s not written down anywhere

Scullion is the only one who qualifies by placing, but doesn’t have the time

Everyone else has the time

In the qualifying document time is listed first. The placing are ‘will also be deemed’ as qualifying

So they *could* just include the fastest 80 (with the NOC limit).

I’m only posting to suggest the possibility that this will become a mess

But that’s not written down anywhere

Scullion is the only one who qualifies by placing, but doesn’t have the time

Everyone else has the time

In the qualifying document time is listed first. The placing are ‘will also be deemed’ as qualifying

So they *could* just include the fastest 80 (with the NOC limit).

I’m only posting to suggest the possibility that this will become a mess

Surely they will just have to let increase the numbers? Recently Water Polo teams were increased from 11 to 12 with an additional sub ‘living outside the village’. There would be sum mess now if 20-30 lads that were qualified suddenly were booted out. Think of the issues with sponsors; bonuses etc. The CAS would be sitting 24/7.
    I am counting him as our 47th qualifier

• Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Surely they will just have to let increase the numbers? Recently Water Polo teams were increased from 11 to 12 with an additional sub ‘living outside the village’. There would be sum mess now if 20-30 lads that were qualified suddenly were booted out. Think of the issues with sponsors; bonuses etc. The CAS would be sitting 24/7.
    Technically, even if the 80 qualifiers cut-off doesn't become an issue, Scullion still isn't guaranteed his spot yet, as he could be passed out by two other Irish athletes. Unlikely, but not impossible

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

Well I’m counting him too. But I also count the swimmers and they haven’t got the Swim Ireland requirements yet

I’m only posting out of information. IMO it is *possible* that the IOC stick to their 80 limit and if so some will miss out

meanwhile in sailing news... Rio silver medalist Annalise Murphy started her year with a second place in the Laser Radial event at Sail Melbourne (winner is current Olympic champ). Her rivals for the Olympic spot finished 24th (Aoife Hopkins) and 27th (Aisling Keller)

Keller finished 46th at the 2019 world champs to qualify the boat for Ireland. Murphy was trying in the 49er FX boat but has reverted to Laser Radial. She’s clear favourite to get selected and could be a medal contender again

In track cycling, Ireland had some good results in the World Cup this weekend. Both madison teams finished 7th and with an OK world championships in late Feb, they should be in

Emily Kay was 3rd in the omnium. She had recently transferred from GB and was part of the madison team too

If the Madison women qualify, Ireland will also be eligible to enter someone in the omnium so fingers crossed they get over the line next month

• Advertisement

In track cycling, Ireland had some good results in the World Cup this weekend. Both madison teams finished 7th and with an OK world championships in late Feb, they should be in

Emily Kay was 3rd in the omnium. She had recently transferred from GB and was part of the madison team too

If the Madison women qualify, Ireland will also be eligible to enter someone in the omnium so fingers crossed they get over the line next month

The women look reasoably ok but do you think the men have a chance. Currently the are ranked 16th?

Ciara Mageean with a new Nation record over the weekend in her 1st Race of season. Best Opener ever Indoors or Outdoors so looks to be coming into the year in good form.

Lining up possibilities of a strong top 8 finish come Tokyo

The women look reasoably ok but do you think the men have a chance. Currently the are ranked 16th?

I think they’ll go up in the next rankings and if they finish top 8 or so in the world champs, they’ll move up again

The top 8 teams in the pursuit get a spot in the madison and there’s a fair bit of overlap in the rankings between pursuit and madison. On the 21 Jan rankings if you take out those qualified from the push it rankings, Ireland is 9th

And we should move up in the rankings after Canada.

The world championships have a ton of points on offer so a good result there and we should be OK

The women are 6th when the pursuit qualifiers are excluded

I think they’ll go up in the next rankings and if they finish top 8 or so in the world champs, they’ll move up again

The top 8 teams in the pursuit get a spot in the madison and there’s a fair bit of overlap in the rankings between pursuit and madison. On the 21 Jan rankings if you take out those qualified from the push it rankings, Ireland is 9th

And we should move up in the rankings after Canada.

The world championships have a ton of points on offer so a good result there and we should be OK

The women are 6th when the pursuit qualifiers are excluded

Ireland are down to 10th by a fraction. Portugal overtook them by finishing 6th in Canada. By my reckoning we need to finish ahead of portugal and at lest two places ahead of Hong Kong or 4 places ahead of Austria.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Hope the virus in China doesn't affect the Olympics.

finbarrk wrote: »

Has already had to cancel a Soccer qualifying event this month and World Indoor Championship in athletics which will impact build up's a bit of some athletes

• Registered Users Posts: 34,029 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

KevIRL wrote: »

Be great if we did that.

I thought Irish performances were best yet in Rio. While only 2 medals on the table but was host of top 10 finishes and personal bests and could easily have got 3 or 4 medals with bit of luck 4 years ago.

Btw hard believe it’s Olympic year already

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

finbarrk wrote: »

There is actually a real risk of this happening. At the very least I would think there will be vigorous checks of all the athletes especially those from China and neighbouring countries.

• Advertisement

The first official Team Ireland selection is Liam Jegou in C1 canoe slalom

Best Robert Hendrick (who secured the quota) in a 3 race series

https://olympics.ie/news/19027-first-team-ireland-tokyo-2020-team-announcement-liam-jegou.html

Advertisement