Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisa Smith home.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

wassie wrote: »
    Got to love the Independant today: https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/declan-power-the-world-is-watching-we-must-handle-lisa-smiths-return-the-right-way-and-act-as-a-guide-to-others-38744111.html
    Declan Power: 'The world is watching-we must handle Lisa Smith's return the right way and act as a guide to others'
    ...err sorry Decs...I don't think the world actually gives a toss....nice try tho'

The world will be watching in a way, as if we don't do it in the right manner we could be seen as a soft touch.

I know locally people will be watching like a hawk to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

tuxy wrote: »
    What really confuses me is the people who announce they are right wing and then advocate practices of the communist left. It's very weird.

its about trying to work out what we could do without our center-left government having a hissy fit or freaking out. Clutching at straws as we know our government doesnt have the balls to have either revoked her citizenship and left her there or made sure that she never had the chance to like many other governments would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

bubblypop wrote: »
    It is

It is most certainly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

its about trying to work out what we could do without our center-left government having a hissy fit or freaking out. Clutching at straws as we know our government doesnt have the balls to have either revoked her citizenship and left her there or made sure that she never had the chance to like many other governments would have.

Revoking her citizenship just wasn’t an option?!?

Revoking her citizenship just wasn’t an option?!?

we have had years to prepare a legal framework for this , we knew it would happen, Im obviously not a policy expert but we could have prepared something that made it impossible for terrorists to re-enter or intern them forever or have them renditioned to some state where dealing with the problem is legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭jmreire

She certainly got around.

The same wan would eat an apple through a letterbox. Some gnashers

Just on a serious note. What’s the story with her weird clipped speech pattern. Is it an effect of being in the army?

Combine that with the Dundalk accent and it’s as odd as befcuked

She is thinking in Arabic I'd, say but speaking Dundalk English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

we have had years to prepare a legal framework for this , we knew it would happen, Im obviously not a policy expert but we could have prepared something that made it impossible for terrorists to re-enter or intern them forever or have them renditioned to some state where dealing with the problem is legal.

Ok, so we go to the UN council of human rights and say we no longer what anything to do with their policies or laws.
    Are you sure Ireland is powerful enough to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Wonder if she had a filthy fry up when she got back?. Rashers, sausages, pudding the works. That's usually my number 1 when returning home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

US2 wrote: »
    Is this her bringing a few young girls off to marry there 40 year old husbands

Scary picture, young girls chained up being taken who knows where overlooked by severe looking bitches

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's nothing to do with lack of balls, which our government have plenty of balls where required, it's to do with legality and international law.
    they simply can't revoke her citizenship as it would be against international law, something that has been explained a number of times already in this thread by a number of posters.
    even if they broke international law and revoked her citizenship, nobody is required to recognise it so she would still be deported back here.
    you just need to except it, there were no options to palm our rubbish off on others, and rightly so.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

It is most certainly not.

It is a religion.
    What do you think it is?

it's nothing to do with lack of balls, which our government have plenty of balls where required, it's to do with legality and international law.
    they simply can't revoke her citizenship as it would be against international law, something that has been explained a number of times already in this thread by a number of posters.
    even if they broke international law and revoked her citizenship, nobody is required to recognise it so she would still be deported back here.
    you just need to except it, there were no options to palm our rubbish off on others, and rightly so.

This concept is beyond the grasp of many posters.

renditioning her to a state who would deal with the problem is not possible, no state will take her, and rightly so.
    preventing her from reentering is not possible, she is an irish citizen.
    the only possible thing that could have been done is, make isis an illegal organization, make membership of it illegal, and update any existing legislation to have a severe sentence for being a member of a terrorist group. as that didn't happen, doing it now means it couldn't apply retrospectively to lisa smith.

the only possible thing that could have been done is, make isis an illegal organization, make membership of it illegal, and update any existing legislation to have a severe sentence for being a member of a terrorist group. as that didn't happen, doing it now means it couldn't apply retrospectively to lisa smith.

This is the reality of it. And if you think FG have failed us then you know what to do in the next GE. Unfortunately I have no idea what party would have been better though.

renditioning her to a state who would deal with the problem is not possible, no state will take her, and rightly so.
    preventing her from reentering is not possible, she is an irish citizen.

well then we need to condemn the government for not taking that action. There has to be mechanisms to punish this behaviour and ensure terrorists cannot roam the streets here.

It is a religion.
    What do you think it is?

i am going to call the response as this.
    "it's a political system, way of life, monitary system, state operation" yada yada

This concept is beyond the grasp of many posters.

i know, and i'm even blue in the face from repeating it, but i have to as they are going to have to grasp it.

well then we need to condemn the government for not taking that action. There has to be mechanisms to punish this behaviour and ensure terrorists cannot roam the streets here.

You're not wrong there.
    The answers have to come from our government, breaking international law like many suggest would be very bad for the country, those laws have a legitimate purpose, protecting human rights and ensuring powerful countries don't offload their problems on weaker ones.
    Domestically Ireland is ill prepared for this situation and there is no excuse for that.

This is the reality of it. And if you think FG have failed us then you know what to do in the next GE. Unfortunately I have no idea what party would have been better though.

exactly that.

we do indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Fair enough. But as a mainly catholic country, this situation is unprecedented. They most likely will take action into the future. They’ve dealt with this situation admirably as far as current legislation is concerned tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

You're not wrong there.
    The answers have to come from our government, breaking international law like many suggest would be very bad for the country, those laws have a legitimate purpose, protecting human rights and ensuring powerful countries don't offload their problems on weaker ones.
    Domestically Ireland is ill prepared for this situation and there is no excuse for that.

The big problem with this for the government and society if not enough is done we are really at risk of growing some form of vigilante element.

Thats not what we need , especially with the rise in attacks on direct provision centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

It is a religion.
    What do you think it is?

I'm disputing the obvious inference of what you are saying here -

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111911308&postcount=726

- ie that it is just a religion.

I agree with the person you were responding to, that it is more than that.

It is a comprehensive world view, elements/factions of which compete against/are at war with, the Western view.

Otherwise, why the need to set up a state unless the whole sphere of human existence of believers is to be controlled, rather than just their spiritual life ?

In any case, in 2011, discussing the issue of how state multiculturalism has failed, David Cameron made the distinction himself -
    In the speech, Mr Cameron drew a clear distinction between Islam the religion and what he described as "Islamist extremism" - a political ideology he said attracted people who feel "rootless" within their own countries.

"We need to be clear: Islamist extremism and Islam are not the same thing," he said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-12371994

So, not the same, but the distinction itself acknowledges that the latter informs the former and that Islam is not 'just' a religion.

i am going to call the response as this.
    "it's a political system, way of life, monitary system, state operation" yada yada

i know, and i'm even blue in the face from repeating it, but i have to as they are going to have to grasp it.

Agreed 100%...for a practising Muslim.....literally EVERY THING he does, his thought's, action's, behaviour are all governed by the Quran.And every possible action he want's to take, is to be found in that book. In fact everything from dawn to dusk is regulated according to the Quran. For people in this part of the world, thats hard to understand, not the least because Islam in Ireland, while it's been around quite awhile, it's still relatively unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Just on a serious note. What’s the story with her weird clipped speech pattern. Is it an effect of being in the army?

An effect from being in the army? Not sure what you mean.

Anyway, when you learn to speak Arabic (of any dialect and especially from native speakers instead of formally) you end up with a hybrid of formal and slang which have different rules than english.

The Arabic alphabet does not mirror the english/latin alphabet, for example there is no equivalent letter in Arabic for the english letter 'P'. In Arabic you would pronounce it as "Pepsi" but spell it as "Bebsi", as a "B" is the closest to a "P".

In addition, the Arabic language has 28 letters as opposed to the english 26 letters. Also, when speaking Arabic informally and with colloquialisms, you generally speak "Key Words".

For example in english we would say "I went to the shops yesterday". However in Arabic you would say "Yesterday I went shops", focussing on the key words only.

While then speaking in english, her brain is automatically using the "key words rules" which obviously sounds like she just had a stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

wassie wrote: »
    Got to love the Independant today: https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/declan-power-the-world-is-watching-we-must-handle-lisa-smiths-return-the-right-way-and-act-as-a-guide-to-others-38744111.html
    Declan Power: 'The world is watching-we must handle Lisa Smith's return the right way and act as a guide to others'
    ...err sorry Decs...I don't think the world actually gives a toss....nice try tho'

This is classic DP. Trying to keep himself relevant while he has no real right to speak on any of this. He is not really an authority on the subject....although professes to be.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It has nothing to do with the "the balls" possessed by the government. It's extremely difficult to remove someone's Irish citizenship. Rightly so.

You get extra bonus hilarity points for calling FG centre left.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

jmreire wrote: »
    Agreed 100%...for a practising Muslim.....literally EVERY THING he does, his thought's, action's, behaviour are all governed by the Quran.And every possible action he want's to take, is to be found in that book. In fact everything from dawn to dusk is regulated according to the Quran. For people in this part of the world, thats hard to understand, not the least because Islam in Ireland, while it's been around quite awhile, it's still relatively unknown.

it's no different to any religion and it's followers.
    every religion has the rules and regulations that actual believers must follow as part of practicing it. some won't have as many rules of course.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Send her back to Syria with her kid. If they don't charge her and she's married one of her husband's could try come over to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

if you lined up all our politicians you wouldnt find a pair of balls on any of them.

she wss willing to go haring off to syria or wherever and leave this country yet when things start going south she starts her whinging to come back.

i have no and will never have sympathy for a person like this. and if this country had people with a modicum of intelligence running it there would be a proper law there to deal with the likes of her.

Wonder if she had a filthy fry up when she got back?. Rashers, sausages, pudding the works. That's usually my number 1 when returning home

Would be mine to, and often loaded the suitcase with 20Kg out of the allowed 23Kg,,with all manner of pork goodies, the essentials in other words when travelling abroad !!! But for Muslim's...pork meat is 110% forbidden...including anything which may have any by-product of pork. Lisa will not be partaking of the traditional Irish Breakfast. Even if they are not sure if it contains pork or not, they will stay on the safe side, and not eat it. In multi cultural country's, Muslims will not sit beside some one who is eating pork, given the choice.

• Advertisement

Limpy wrote: »
    Send her back to Syria with her kid. If they don't charge her and she's married one of her husband's could try come over to her.

If who don't charge her?
    What country is she a citizen of?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement