Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

unacceptable level of irregular social welfare payments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Suttree wrote: »
    You stated awhile ago that nobody should pay PRSI on their December pay packet (if I read you correctly) - that's a subsidy to an awful lot of people who don't need it.

How don’t they need it ? The hard working probably spend a lot less money on ****e than the peasants...

Smokes. Mid week drinking , gambling, takeaway’s their usual staples ! And they wonder why they don’t have money. It’s comedy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Suttree

Idbatterim wrote: »
    How don’t they need it ? The hard working probably spend a lot less money on ****e than the peasants...

Oh right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Its time for a serious re-evaluation (downward) of the 20 billion euro noose around our necks that is the welfare state.

Stating the obvious here, but that's never going to happen until a party seriously committed to doing it is elected to government. And Irish voters have to date shown no interest in voting for such a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Ok so outside of scenarios in which there are already special allowances, there is not one you can point out that would prevent an able bodied adult achieving employment ?
    fits wrote: »
    I posted that as an example of how a regular able bodied person might not be able to work. There are many many families in that position and in financial trouble with it.

they have the money for the car already I think thankfully.

The dad works, and the mother is getting carers allowance which was one of the specifics special allowances already mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

I dont understand whats so edgy about not wanting to be taxed to death to pay for drink and drugs and fake tan and thinking somebody in this day and age should do a decades work in their life.

If you think the dole will fund drink, drugs and fake tan as well as normal living expenses then you are living in fairy land. The dole just about allows people a subsistence life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Stating the obvious here, but that's never going to happen until a party seriously committed to doing it is elected to government. And Irish voters have to date shown no interest in voting for such a party.

Well they have, people cry out for it, sadly thise who often promise it (FG) dont deliver or the sensible fiscal reforms have to get wrapped up with some kind of awful social position (renua)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

Varik wrote: »
    The dad works, and the mother is getting carers allowance which was one of the specifics special allowances already mentioned.

THE CARERS ALLOWANCE IS MEANS TESTED!!!

Well they have, people cry out for it

Where's your evidence for this, beyond a handful of Internet blowhards?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Yes....and.... so if you or your other half can afford to pay your own way you do that and if not you get an allowance, its very fair but not relevant to anything were saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes....and.... so if you or your other half can afford to pay your own way you do that and if not you get an allowance, its very fair but not relevant to anything were saying.

Actually you come across as one of the most impoverished folk here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Smokes. Mid week drinking , gambling, takeaway’s their usual staples ! And they wonder why they don’t have money. It’s comedy !

proof?

Meaning what ? Anyone working that isn’t totally broke Doesnt qualify ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Boggles wrote: »
    We badly need to get a separate forum for the dozen or so Edgelords.

Current Affairs doesn't suit them.

All though there is a four letter world in Current that would be apt.

:)
    i think youre using the word "Edgelord" wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I moved out of home at 18 and have never received a social welfare payment ever. Wouldnt even know how to apply for it.

This thread is about fraud, but I think the defeinition of fraud is too low, this report identifies 1 in 5 non contributory (didn't work enough) pension recipients gaming the system again for more money. We constantly have stories about us having the most disabled workforce in europe, constantly see rampant fraud, and then we move on to people using welfare money for alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, tattoos, holidays, premium tv packages, tanning beds, betting etc... which I believe should be considered fraud and a criminal offence.

Maybe it wouldnt be such a struggle for those who truly need it if we werent throwing so much money at those who clearly don't. The issue is the terrible return we get for what we put in and the misallocation that allows genuine cases to struggle under the same rules as people like margaret cash and the people who inhabbit almost any pub or bookies at 11am on a tuesday up and down this isle.

What's the % of people in bookies or a pub at 11am on a Tuesday? Minuscule I guess, but don't let that get in the way of your authoritarian ideas.
    Are you serious, we all know it goes on, literally everyone can see it. Somebody made a post saying the UK had dismantled their welfare state , if thats a dismantled one take a look at tv programs like benefits street and tell me how on way less money they achieve the same results.

I understand you disagree with me but its being intentionally misleading to suggest this isnt happening when every dog in the street knows it is.

Speaking of dogs in the street , they shouldnt be allowed keep pets either.

You are just trolling now. Why stop at alcohol, cigarettes, pets? Why not take any non essential item from the claimant, extra suits, shoes, dishwasher, washing machine, car, TV, take the kids too while you are at it. I tell you why, because it's stupid. It's an incredibly stupid idea with zero perspective and zero vision. It's begrudgery.
    Do you think an able bodied person would have a hard time achieving work ? If so why.

Can you really not come up with something? You can't think of any reason why an able bodied person may not get work? How do you define able bodied? Therein lies a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Why on earth would anyone bring a child to the doctor for the craic?

There have been times where one of the children genuinely needed to see a doctor and we might have thought twice about it if it was going to set us back 60 euro. (before I returned to work). 60 euro is a lot for a family with one working parent to come up with.

Slightest little thing and they are off to the docs, no need to pay.

It is a disgrace.

Well they have, people cry out for it, sadly thise who often promise it (FG) dont deliver or the sensible fiscal reforms have to get wrapped up with some kind of awful social position (renua)

100%, that bull**** grey area is now finished, legally! Hopefully Casey takes over the renua leadership roll! I reckon they'd get ten percent maybe more of the vote!

Graces7 wrote: »
    proof?

well who is propping them all up, pubs, bookies etc at this time on a Tuesday? the workers? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Suttree

well who is propping them all up, pubs, bookies etc at this time on a Tuesday? the workers? :rolleyes:

You've been posting on this forum all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Idbatterim wrote:
    well who is propping them all up, pubs, bookies etc at this time on a Tuesday? the workers?

I've worked with plenty of gamblers, well able to be using paddy power during the day, and nipping to the bookies between things, scary addiction

• Registered Users Posts: 39,526 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

100%, that bull**** grey area is now finished, legally! Hopefully Casey takes over the renua leadership roll! I reckon they'd get ten percent maybe more of the vote!

Obama wouldn't get them 10%+ of the vote.

They firmly belong in 1984 and that's where they'll remain.

• Advertisement

I reckon you might have misread a prognostication of their GE vote as in the region of 1-0%....

I reckon you might have misread a prognostication of their GE vote as in the region of 1-0%....

I said with Casey, FF and FG are lucky primarily, that there isnt one competent party that the working electorate can vote for, if that changes, theyll lose a significant number of votes!

FG claim to represent workers, they do in their s**te represent me! Their plan for budget 2020, despite their claim that they would reward work? welfare increases only, no tax cuts! LOL!

I get the uncertainty with brexit, funny how they have no problem increasing spending though!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I said with Casey, FF and FG are lucky primarily, that there isnt one competent party that the working electorate can vote for, if that changes, theyll lose a significant number of votes!

FG claim to represent workers, they do in their s**te represent me! Their plan for budget 2020, despite their claim that they would reward work? welfare increases only, no tax cuts! LOL!

I get the uncertainty with brexit, funny how they have no problem increasing spending though!

I dont think "competent party" is a label that many would apply to Renua.

He's claiming it would under the Dragon's leadership. Whatever else Casey would bring to the party I don't think competence/professionalism would be high up there...

I understand, but with Casey , I honestly reckon they could take decent few seats. Not because casey is great, but he is different in one way, he will speak the truth, I think many people are sick of the PC and lying bull**** the politicians come out with here.

That's also why I said, the current lot are lucky that there ISNT an alternative centre or centre right party that the public find competent!

sure he went from polling what? 1% to nearly 25% for simply speaking the truth! Amazing what not being a coward could do for many here. They all sing from the same "wont somebody think of the children" PC bull**** brigade! They all go for the same voters, with the same tactic. For those not already in local or national government positions and interested in it, a far better tactic, might be to start speaking the truth and appealing to those not voting or sick of the options they currently have!

I understand, but with Casey , I honestly reckon they could take decent few seats. Not because casey is great, but he is different in one way, he will speak the truth, I think many people are sick of the PC and lying bull**** the politicians come out with here.

That's also why I said, the current lot are lucky that there ISNT an alternative centre or centre right party that the public find competent!

sure he went from polling what? 1% to nearly 25% for simply speaking the truth! Amazing what not being a coward could do for many here. They all sing from the same "wont somebody think of the children" PC bull**** brigade! They all go for the same voters, with the same tactic. For those not already in local or national government positions and interested in it, a far better tactic, might be to start speaking the truth and appealing to those not voting or sick of the options they currently have!

So a candidate who was going nowhere until he turned to rethoric is he man to lead Renua to greatness?

So a candidate who was going nowhere until he turned to rethoric is he man to lead Renua to greatness?

he was looking to get into politics, he has an open goal, they would be similar ideologically. Looking to get into FF was laughable, those morons are more of what he would be against. Some of the electorate would vote for him and renua, simply because he isnt those other unbearable fools!

also I have no idea what casey is doing now etc. But Renua might aswell wind themselves down, try get casey in or wind up the party. If you think of how he resonated with the law and order thing, travellers, the tax payer getting shafted, you dont think that will resonate with a lot of the electorate?

the electorate would never have foreseen a few years ago, just how bloody appalling FG could actually be and that includes ex FG voters like myself! I'd vote for kermit the frog before I'd vote for all of the comedy acts that would be presented to me on a ballot sheet!

he was looking to get into politics, he has an open goal, they would be similar ideologically. Looking to get into FF was laughable, those morons are more of what he would be against. Some of the electorate would vote for him and renua, simply because he isnt those other unbearable fools!

Oh i'm sure there would be some who would vote for him. Not enough to make any difference mind.

he was looking to get into politics, he has an open goal, they would be similar ideologically.

Have you any reason to believe he is actually interested in leading Renua? For an ambitious getting-on-a-bit man looking to break into national politics, is a party on 0% in the opinion polls and with no elected representatives really the right vehicle?

• Advertisement

Oh i'm sure there would be some who would vote for him. Not enough to make any difference mind.

those independent alliance gob****es with their few seats made a difference! Those dup gob****es propping up the tories made a difference!

Who would FG more likely align with to form a government if they need the support of a few seats. Another left wing party or a centreist, centre right party? :rolleyes:

Advertisement