Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unacceptable level of irregular social welfare payments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If you hate the so called welfare state, go live in England. Their social safety has been systematically dismantled under the tory's watch, leading to incredible levels of child poverty (1/3 of all children in poverty) and 4 million people living below the breadline. The disabled have also been targeted as low hanging fruit ready for the picking, half of those living below the breadline in deep poverty/destitution live in a household where someone is disabled.

Shameful, and something I never want to see this country stoop to. Truly frightens me how 'people' like the OP peddle this bile.

Right. Well that’s where Many workers here are dragged. Near poverty. But they break their balls for it. The welfare lifers , guaranteed income. No commute. No boss etc. I’ve such empathy for them on the worlds most generous and dysfunctional welfare system. Working poor effected by the scandalous fifty percent marginal rate of tax. Any all the meeja here care about is “de vulnerable “ do one and stand on your own feet like the rest of us you bottom feeders !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Ian OB wrote: »
    1) Why would anyone want to game the system for less money?

2) Regardless of whether or not they deserve the money from the Dept of Social Welfare, once they have it, surely it is theirs to spend as they see fit? Or should they only receive tokens/vouchers which can only be redeemed in certain outlets against specified products?

The latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If you hate the so called welfare state, go live in England. Their social safety has been systematically dismantled under the tory's watch, leading to incredible levels of child poverty (1/3 of all children in poverty) and 4 million people living below the breadline. The disabled have also been targeted as low hanging fruit ready for the picking, half of those living below the breadline in deep poverty/destitution live in a household where someone is disabled.

Shameful, and something I never want to see this country stoop to. Truly frightens me how 'people' like the OP peddle this bile.
    So where are the Tories on the political spectrum. I mean fg are allegedly to the right. So are the tories far right ? Fg who preside over an outrageous welfare state. Fg who bleed high earners dry here on income taxes compared to out European peers? That fg?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

terrydel wrote: »
    Are you on every thread you can find that allows you to spout your poorly educated right wing gibberish? You are a tedious bore of the highest order.

This is his life. Sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I'm all for helping people who can't work, but it should be completely cashless. You get the rent and electricity paid and voucher for food. That wouldn't be long about getting the smokers and drinkers back to work. All benefits should be cut completely after 12 months unless in a deep recession.

I was on the dole for two years and counted my blessings every day, free weed and a night out every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Idbatterim wrote: »
    So where are the Tories on the political spectrum. I mean fg are allegedly to the right. So are the tories far right ? Fg who preside over an outrageous welfare state. Fg who bleed high earners dry here on income taxes compared to out European peers? That fg?

FG has always done this. Every government they were in slaughtered the paye employed. Income tax. Rates of 65% in the 1980’s. Not once did they cut welfare - the IMF recommended small cuts and labour took the fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sadly all Irish parties are high/extravagant welfare parties paid for by high taxes- so much for Leo “rewarding” workers. This was the opportune time to slash welfare and force the spongers into work. He chose to continue the status quo. When you hear that state advertising to encourage parents to avail of a beck to school allowance you know you’re living in a welfare statelet. No such thing as budgeting, parental responsibility or putting a bit by. I was in school in the poor early 90s period and I certainly don’t think this was a thing perhaps only for the very genuinely needy

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Are you on every thread you can find that allows you to spout your poorly educated right wing gibberish? You are a tedious bore of the highest order.

Honestly think certain boards ie posters are paid to do this. Cant imagine anyone writing about any political sh*te every day of the week for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Just trying to wake people up to the waste. Until the government give me a personal exemption from paying any tax, I will continue to oppose most spending. Welfare is the elephant in the room and the black hole of money, so it gets top priority.

Right... that’s not going to happen - why would it? - so you’re going “oppose most spending”? That makes the kind of sense that doesn’t. Don’t you realise how petulant you sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Right... that’s not going to happen - why would it? - so you’re going “oppose most spending”? That makes the kind of sense that doesn’t. Don’t you realise how petulant you sound?

Like the last guy to buy a round for the group moaning about how unfair it is? Even though he accepted a beer from everyone else up to that point?

• Advertisement

Like the last guy to buy a round for the group moaning about how unfair it is? Even though he accepted a beer from everyone else up to that point?

Terrible analogy. More like the barman charges him 6 euro a pint to pay for the alcoholic who never has money but drinks an equal amount of pints as everyone else

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Username checks out then.

Accurate representation of OP complaining about the 'gubberment':

Cartman-Whines-But-Mom-On-South-Park.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I moved out of home at 18 and have never received a social welfare payment ever. Wouldnt even know how to apply for it.
    Still living off mam and dad eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Honestly think certain boards ie posters are paid to do this. Cant imagine anyone writing about any political sh*te every day of the week for free.
    the poor man is obviously a shut in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Indeed. Does the OP think he has in no way benefitted from taxation? :D
    US2 wrote: »
    Terrible analogy. More like the barman charges him 6 euro a pint to pay for the alcoholic who never has money but drinks an equal amount of pints as everyone else

No, his analogy makes sense. Everyone here has benefitted from taxation, just like everyone involved in a round benefits. Each round won’t be exactly the same usually, reflecting that not everyone benefits quite equally. But everyone still does benefit.

Now your analogy, on the other hand, doesn’t work. The prices set in pubs don’t factor in subsidisation of any punter. And moochers aren’t tolerated for long in rounds. It makes no sense at all as an parallel.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

still trying to work out how accidental overpayment morphed into fraud?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Take in the roads, they're of no use anymore, next.....

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Can we cut out the childish bickering? IF you cant' play the ball and not the man, then you shouldn't be posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Right. Well that’s where Many workers here are dragged. Near poverty. But they break their balls for it. The welfare lifers , guaranteed income. No commute. No boss etc. I’ve such empathy for them on the worlds most generous and dysfunctional welfare system. Working poor effected by the scandalous fifty percent marginal rate of tax. Any all the meeja here care about is “de vulnerable “ do one and stand on your own feet like the rest of us you bottom feeders !

Another bigoted twat. Seriously boards.ie, how do you let this kind of ignorant nonsense to be posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

terrydel wrote:
    Another bigoted twat. Seriously boards.ie, how do you let this kind of ignorant nonsense to be posted?

It ll be interesting to see what jobs these folks pick up while retired

• Advertisement

mike_ie wrote: »
    Mod: Can we cut out the childish bickering? IF you cant' play the ball and not the man, then you shouldn't be posting.

That's the typical boards.ie response. But there are 'men' here spouting what is essentially racist bigoted discrimination towards welfare recipients, and what do you do about it?

That's the typical boards.ie response. But there are 'men' here spouting what is essentially racist bigoted discrimination towards welfare recipients, and what do you do about it?

I've seen racist and bigot used wrongly many many times, but you're taking the biscuit. Please look up those two words in a dictionary.

The level of discrimination and abuse here towards welfare recipients is sickening, not to mention inaccurate, and it's allowed here, it is the very definition of bigotry.

The level of discrimination and abuse here towards welfare recipients is sickening, not to mention inaccurate, and it's allowed here, it is the very definition of bigotry.

A person who is intolerant of others opinion is the definition of biggot. You are intolerant of peoples opinion on welfare fraud. You are the bigot?

Your post history is great craic. Almost every single post on multiple threads over the last few weeks calling people bigots.

US2 wrote: »
    A person who is intolerant of others opinion is the definition of biggot. You are intolerant of peoples opinion on welfare fraud. You are the bigot?

Hahaha. So calling out people who are disgustingly abusing other members of society makes me the bigot? My God I've heard it all now. I've only responded to the people throwing abuse and insults. Which is cheered on here by the majority

Personal insults towards other posters. Seriously boards.ie how do you let this abuse be posted?

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: US2, terrydel - seeing as you both can't follow basic instructions, don't post in this thread again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

and then we move on to people using welfare money for alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, tattoos, holidays, premium tv packages, tanning beds, betting etc... which I believe should be considered fraud and a criminal offence.
    I'm loving your Daily Mail masturbatory image of someone living on what 200 quid a week? A hard drinking smoking, stoned, tanned and tattooed(?) bloke just back from a bookies in the Algarve. I'll say this a euro must go a helluva long way wherever you're living.

Never mind and this is the important part, outside of illegal drugs(and even there...) every one of those examples puts money back into the economy in goods, services and yep taxes. The "market" cares not a jot whether a euro comes from from a dolehead or a doctor to pay for any of those, something the market is king types seem to forget.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Even the pensioners are gaming the system. Its time for a serious re-evaluation (downward) of the 20 billion euro noose around our necks that is the welfare state.

More lazy ignorant nonsense.

We aren't a welfare state, I wish we were. They are fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

This thread degenerated into bickering very quickly.
    I think 20% of the sample being paid €50 too much weekly seems worthy of serious consideration.

Advertisement