Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unacceptable level of irregular social welfare payments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

fits wrote: »
    There are hundreds of scenarios. Here's one.

https://ie.gofundme.com/f/ava039s-wheels

What does that scenario have anything to do with an able bodied adult not working outside of the roles for which there are already special allowances ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

What does that scenario have anything to do with an able bodied adult not working outside of the roles for which there are already special allowances ?

Im not really sure what you are looking for. Imsaying there are many reasons why people might not be entitled to contributory pension, including those on special allowances. Many women at retirement age now - are not entitled to it either due to working from the home and finding it difficult to get back into workforce in time to qualify for it. Nto too many employers are looking for women in their fifties with no work experience outside the home.

Im not really sure what you are looking for. Imsaying there are many reasons why people might not be entitled to contributory pension, including those on special allowances. Many women at retirement age now - are not entitled to it either due to working from the home and finding it difficult to get back into workforce in time to qualify for it. Nto too many employers are looking for women in their fifties with no work experience outside the home.

Youve just moved the goalposts. You said there were many reasons an able bodied person might not be able to get paid work, and I asked outside of caring for children / the disabled / elderly (for which there are special payments) what excuse do we have in the modern day, in the pst yes you are correct about women , not anymore.

Aside from those specific reasons above, I cannot fathom how somebody turning 18 tomorrow could make it to retirement age without achieving 10 years stamps

Youve just moved the goalposts. You said there were many reasons an able bodied person might not be able to get paid work, and I asked outside of caring for children / the disabled / elderly (for which there are special payments) what excuse do we have in the modern day, in the pst yes you are correct about women , not anymore.

Aside from those specific reasons above, I cannot fathom how somebody turning 18 tomorrow could make it to retirement age without achieving 10 years stamps

This is getting boring - you said outside of special allowances not outside of the above. who is moving the goalposts. Not engaging with you anymore. bye.

Also
    To get a full State pension a person needs to have paid a minimum of 520 PRSI contributions or “stamps” over their working life, as well as an average of 48 PRSI payments per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Idbatterim wrote: »
    264 million on the Christmas bonus In 2018! Spent on ****e! Why spend it on infrastructure, paying down the national debt , cutting scandalous marginal rate of income tax. On mental health services etc. a brilliant investment of the 264 million !

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Budget-2019.aspx#1

Ten pounds In the uk. Link below !

https://www.gov.uk/christmas-bonus

The cost of living here is far higher than in the UK. Trust me on that. So your comparison is truly odious. Allowances there mean more than they do here. In real terms

Spent on a little joy and yes frivolity. And fun. And no I do not qualify but if I did would enjoy a few extras mightily. and no business of anyone else's what those extras were

Scrooge? If I am allowed to say that! BAH HUMBUG! to be exact...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Suttree

Graces7 wrote: »
    The cost of living here is far higher than in the UK. Trust me on that. So your comparison is truly odious. Allowances there mean more than they do here. In real terms

Spent on a little joy and yes frivolity. And fun. And no I do not qualify but if I did would enjoy a few extras mightily. and no business of anyone else's what those extras were

Scrooge? If I am allowed to say that! BAH HUMBUG! to be exact...

There are always going to be cases of exploitation, but the idea of begruding a vulnerable family something at Christmas is sickening - if the Christmas allowance was commonly being used to top up an iPhone purchase for an already indulged child, Barnardos wouldn't be running a Christmas toy collection year in year out.

This is getting boring - you said outside of special allowances not outside of the above. who is moving the goalposts. Not engaging with you anymore. bye.

Also

“Above” were the special allowances, , have changed nothing. Go get a job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Suttree wrote: »
    There are always going to be cases of exploitation, but the idea of begruding a vulnerable family something at Christmas is sickening - if the Christmas allowance was commonly being used to top up an iPhone purchase for an already indulged child, Barnardos wouldn't be running a Christmas toy collection year in year out.

What about the working poor families at Christmas? They shouldn’t get something?

What about the working poor families at Christmas? They shouldn’t get something?

What do you propose?

What do you propose?

No prsi payments for your december paychecks if you earn under 28k a year.

• Advertisement

Seems reasonable to me on the surface of it.

No prsi payments regardless of income ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We badly need to get a separate forum for the dozen or so Edgelords.

Current Affairs doesn't suit them.

All though there is a four letter world in Current that would be apt.

:)

Boggles wrote: »
    We badly need to get a separate forum for the dozen or so Edgelords.

Current Affairs doesn't suit them.

All though there is a four letter world in Current that would be apt.

:)

I dont understand whats so edgy about not wanting to be taxed to death to pay for drink and drugs and fake tan and thinking somebody in this day and age should do a decades work in their life.

Nobody talked about cutting genuine cases one cent.

I dont understand whats so edgy about not wanting to be taxed to death to pay for drink and drugs and fake tan and thinking somebody in this day and age should do a decades work in their life

Oh right.

I dont understand whats so edgy about not wanting to be taxed to death to pay for drink and drugs and fake tan and thinking somebody in this day and age should do a decades work in their life

E60 gp visits for the broke. While the medical card it’s free. It’s just an amazing system. You have a job , ergo you must have no money concerns. If the **** hits the fan again, let the imf come in and make the changes this time. Let’s see what someone who isn’t just looking for votes decides the problem areas are !

E60 gp visits for the broke. While the medical card it’s free. It’s just an amazing system. You have a job , ergo you must have no money concerns. If the **** hits the fan again, let the imf come in and make the changes this time. Let’s see what someone who isn’t just looking for votes decides the problem areas are !

You've posted seven times this morning before lunch. I get the feeling you're not exactly down a mineshaft toiling for your supper.

should do a decades work in their life.

Yopu keep saying this so I'll quote this again
    To get a full State pension a person needs to have paid a minimum of 520 PRSI contributions or “stamps” over their working life, as well as an average of 48 PRSI payments per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭ebbsy

+1

My family doctor has a waiting list of a week normally. She said it is because of the kids getting free visit cards. Which is completely stupid.

I now go to a doctor in the city centre. He does not accept medical cards and I can see him the next day if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I dont understand whats so edgy about not wanting to be taxed to death to pay for drink and drugs and fake tan and thinking somebody in this day and age should do a decades work in their life.

So you know every case? who is claiming falsely? with the collusion of their doctor? WOW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Self employed as a consultant. I spend a lot of time waiting on emails / for things to finish / people to show up.

In other words being paid for sitting around?

In other words being paid for sitting around?

Given how much "consultancy" is done for the state, I'd be very curious to know how much of this internet soapbox is done at the expense of the public purse.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jaysus I was going to suggest you mod the new forum.

Yopu keep saying this so I'll quote this again

Thats really not that many payments, like just work most of your life , its not that bad, get out there and hand a few cv’s around.

Youre acting like getting the contributory pension is like climbing everest. This is a basic requirement that most normal people do meet.

You've posted seven times this morning before lunch. I get the feeling you're not exactly down a mineshaft toiling for your supper.

No I’m not. I’m not having everything handed to me by the state either...

ebbsy wrote: »
    +1

My family doctor has a waiting list of a week normally. She said it is because of the kids getting free visit cards. Which is completely stupid.

Why on earth would anyone bring a child to the doctor for the craic?

There have been times where one of the children genuinely needed to see a doctor and we might have thought twice about it if it was going to set us back 60 euro. (before I returned to work). 60 euro is a lot for a family with one working parent to come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There are hundreds of scenarios. Here's one.

https://ie.gofundme.com/f/ava039s-wheels

Already Exemption & claim backs for VAT/VRT/Fuel/Tolls already on the vehicle, usage, and required adaption. So not an issue of them not being able to afford a suitable car, they can't afford one in general. There's thousands there already.

Varik wrote: »
    Already Exemption & claim backs for VAT/VRT/Fuel/Tolls already on the vehicle, usage, and required adaption. So not an issue of them not being able to afford a suitable car, they can't afford one in general. There's thousands there already.

I posted that as an example of how a regular able bodied person might not be able to work. There are many many families in that position and in financial trouble with it.

they have the money for the car already I think thankfully.

I posted that as an example of how a regular able bodied person might not be able to work. There are many many families in that position and in financial trouble with it.

they have the money for the car already I think thankfully.

And theres an allpwance for it, there is no reason an able bodied person not caring for kids/disabled/elderly people shouldnt get the contributory pension these days

• Advertisement

No I’m not. I’m not having everything handed to me by the state either...

You stated awhile ago that nobody should pay PRSI on their December pay packet (if I read you correctly) - that's a subsidy to an awful lot of people who don't need it.

Advertisement