Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unacceptable level of irregular social welfare payments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,273 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ambiguous reporting, was the audit just on pensions?
    Thought the pensioners were always broke

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

fritzelly wrote: »
    Ambiguous reporting, was the audit just on pensions?
    Thought the pensioners were always broke

Apparently just a sample number were looked into

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Underpayments stood at just over 8pc of claims and those identified as underpaid received an average increase of around €30 a week, plus arrears.
    not all bad so...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

But, but, Leo said they were saving at least €500M per year of welfare fraud.

Didn't realise this meant from OAP's

Obviously the drug addicts haven't been targeted yet.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/pensions/one-in-five-state-pensioners-had-payments-cut-by-50-after-being-overpaid-new-report-38548033.html

The state’s spending watchdog has found an unacceptable level of irregular social welfare payments in its annual report.

Even the pensioners are gaming the system. Its time for a serious re-evaluation (downward) of the 20 billion euro noose around our necks that is the welfare state.

Are you on every thread you can find that allows you to spout your poorly educated right wing gibberish? You are a tedious bore of the highest order.

Mod: This poster has been banned. Please stop reporting this post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

terrydel wrote: »
    Are you on every thread you can find that allows you to spout your poorly educated right wing gibberish? You are a tedious bore of the highest order.

Just trying to wake people up to the waste. Until the government give me a personal exemption from paying any tax, I will continue to oppose most spending. Welfare is the elephant in the room and the black hole of money, so it gets top priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/pensions/one-in-five-state-pensioners-had-payments-cut-by-50-after-being-overpaid-new-report-38548033.html

The state’s spending watchdog has found an unacceptable level of irregular social welfare payments in its annual report.

Even the pensioners are gaming the system. Its time for a serious re-evaluation (downward) of the 20 billion euro noose around our necks that is the welfare state.

Concentration camps for Welfare recipients eh? Yet another kick the poor thread

• Registered Users Posts: 28,711 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just trying to wake people up to the waste. Until the government give me a personal exemption from paying any tax, I will continue to oppose most spending. Welfare is the elephant in the room and the black hole of money, so it gets top priority.

Have you ever been on welfare for say a year, not living with parents or from savings... Y'know actually trying to manage on the standard job seekers payment?

It's far from the gravy train you seem to think it is, especially if living outside the city and trying to find a job and pay your bills (which don't just disappear when you lose your job and income) just enough each month to keep them off your back.

Genuine cases of welfare fraud or those who have never legitimately worked should be identified and sanctioned.. No one disagrees with that, but this nonsense that significant numbers of welfare recipients are living it up at "your" expense is tiresome and frankly ridiculous.

Become a reit or multinational and you should manage that.
    You clearly have no use for roads, hospitals, a police force etc etc. Welfare fraud is a tiny, tiny fraction of the overall budget. The black hole is the bank debt paid to bondholder gamblers they dwarfs the welfare bill. You seem like an utterly horrible individual with not an ounce of empathy for other human beings. Grow up.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Have you ever been on welfare for say a year, not living with parents or from savings... Y'know actually trying to manage on the standard job seekers payment?

It's far from the gravy train you seem to think it is, especially if living outside the city and trying to find a job and pay your bills (which don't just disappear when you lose your job and income) just enough each month to keep them off your back.

Genuine cases of welfare fraud or those who have never legitimately worked should be identified and sanctioned.. No one disagrees with that, but this nonsense that significant numbers of welfare recipients are living it up at "your" expense is tiresome and frankly ridiculous.

Don't bother with him, he spouts this guff on every thread and board he can find. He's not even humorous in doing so.

• Advertisement

I moved out of home at 18 and have never received a social welfare payment ever. Wouldnt even know how to apply for it.

This thread is about fraud, but I think the defeinition of fraud is too low, this report identifies 1 in 5 non contributory (didn't work enough) pension recipients gaming the system again for more money. We constantly have stories about us having the most disabled workforce in europe, constantly see rampant fraud, and then we move on to people using welfare money for alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, tattoos, holidays, premium tv packages, tanning beds, betting etc... which I believe should be considered fraud and a criminal offence.

Maybe it wouldnt be such a struggle for those who truly need it if we werent throwing so much money at those who clearly don't. The issue is the terrible return we get for what we put in and the misallocation that allows genuine cases to struggle under the same rules as people like margaret cash and the people who inhabbit almost any pub or bookies at 11am on a tuesday up and down this isle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I moved out of home at 18 and have never received a social welfare payment ever. Wouldnt even know how to apply for it.

This thread is about fraud, but I think the defeinition of fraud is too low, this report identifies 1 in 5 non contributory (didn't work enough) pension recipients gaming the system again for more money. We constantly have stories about us having the most disabled workforce in europe, constantly see rampant fraud, and then we move on to people using welfare money for alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, tattoos, holidays, premium tv packages, tanning beds, betting etc... which I believe should be considered fraud and a criminal offence.

Maybe it wouldnt be such a struggle for those who truly need it if we werent throwing so much money at those who clearly don't. The issue is the terrible return we get for what we put in and the misallocation that allows genuine cases to struggle under the same rules as people like margaret cash and the people who inhabbit almost any pub or bookies at 11am on a tuesday up and down this isle.

The terrible return we get? Ah ok. Reopen the laundries and workhouses.

What we get in return is some kind of civil onediance and structure to society. Take the 188 off people and kick them out on the street. See where we end up then.
    In the long run for everyone the Welfare system is a good investment.

The like of Margaret Cash will aways exist. Get over it. It use to piss me off but not anymore. Whats the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

And what has that load of heart rending drivel got to do with some of the people in receipt of the NON-CONTRIBUTORY OLD AGE PENSION defrauding the State by lying about their means?

Because that's what the review linked above discovered.

Portsalon wrote: »
    And what has that load of heart rending drivel got to do with some of the people in receipt of the NON-CONTRIBUTORY OLD AGE PENSION defrauding the State by lying about their means?

Because that's what the review linked above discovered.
    What's your opinion on reits and institutional property investors paying no tax on their massive profits? Or do you not have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

If you hate the so called welfare state, go live in England. Their social safety has been systematically dismantled under the tory's watch, leading to incredible levels of child poverty (1/3 of all children in poverty) and 4 million people living below the breadline. The disabled have also been targeted as low hanging fruit ready for the picking, half of those living below the breadline in deep poverty/destitution live in a household where someone is disabled.

Shameful, and something I never want to see this country stoop to. Truly frightens me how 'people' like the OP peddle this bile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

How many years do u need to work to get the pension

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Bowlardo wrote: »
    It's based on age, currently how much you get is based on how many weeks you paid in.

If you hate the so called welfare state, go live in England. Their social safety has been systematically dismantled under the tory's watch, leading to incredible levels of child poverty (1/3 of all children in poverty) and 4 million people living below the breadline. The disabled have also been targeted as low hanging fruit ready for the picking, half of those living below the breadline in deep poverty/destitution live in a household where someone is disabled.

Shameful, and something I never want to see this country stoop to. Truly frightens me how 'people' like the OP peddle this bile.

Please let them take Eric cartman, Portsalon and the other tory boy bigots. They are welcome to them.

What's your opinion on reits and institutional property investors paying no tax on their massive profits? Or do you not have one?

Of course I have one! You see, unlike you I don't let Paul Murphy do my thinking for me.

My opinion is that defrauding the Department of Social Welfare is theft and should be punished accordingly, as should tax evasion. Whereas availing of tax exemptions is a legitimate business practice.

Incidentally, unlike your crowd of semi-civilised parasites, I fully supported water charges and would happily have continued to pay them.

Bowlardo wrote: »

You don't need to work for a single day in your life to get the NON-CONTRIBUTORY State Pension.

To get the CONTRIBUTORY State pension, you currently need to have paid PRSI for at least 10 years.

• Advertisement

You don't need to work for a single day in your life to get the NON-CONTRIBUTORY State Pension.

To get the CONTRIBUTORY State pension, you currently need to have paid PRSI for at least 10 years.

How any able bodied person makes it to retirement without that is beyond me.

Of course I have one! You see, unlike you I don't let Paul Murphy do my thinking for me.

My opinion is that defrauding the Department of Social Welfare is theft and should be punished accordingly, as should tax evasion. Whereas availing of tax exemptions is a legitimate business practice.

Incidentally, unlike your crowd of semi-civilised parasites, I fully supported water charges and would happily have continued to pay them.

Thanks for resorting to your usual bigotry to try (miserably) to get your point across. It took only one post.
    You are beneath contempt.

Thanks for resorting to your usual bigotry to try (miserably) to get your point across. It took only one post.
    You are beneath contempt.

You're very welcome.

I'm delighted to see that my answer didn't conform to your somewhat distorted view of the world. Indeed, had you approved of it, I would have been deeply worried.

You're very welcome.

I'm delighted to see that my answer didn't conform to your somewhat distorted view of the world. Indeed, had you approved of it, I would have been deeply worried.

I'm just laughing at the pathetic bigot you are. Its hilarious.

I'm just laughing at the pathetic bigot you are. Its hilarious.

Presumably this week's new words at adult literacy class were "pathetic" and "bigot" - well done, you managed to get them both into the same sentence! Teacher will be very pleased.

But where did you learn "hilarious"?

Presumably this week's new words at adult literacy class were "pathetic" and "bigot" - well done, you managed to get them both into the same sentence! Teacher will be very pleased.

But where did you learn "hilarious"?

It's very easy to get those words into a sentence describing you! You do all the work. Its an open goal.

Until the government give me a personal exemption from paying any tax, I will continue to oppose most spending.

Why are you still here?

Why are you still here?

dont have the million quid to invest in guernsey to get citizenship yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Ian OB

This thread is about ..... pension recipients gaming the system again for more money..... people using welfare money for alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, tattoos, holidays, premium tv packages, tanning beds, betting etc....

1) Why would anyone want to game the system for less money?

2) Regardless of whether or not they deserve the money from the Dept of Social Welfare, once they have it, surely it is theirs to spend as they see fit? Or should they only receive tokens/vouchers which can only be redeemed in certain outlets against specified products?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Hardly surprising.
    The social welfare gravy train in this country has far too many carriages.

Advertisement