Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy Power - Positive Discrimination

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Pretty sure this is nonsense and there are far more important things to be boiling your piss about and boycotting companies on the basis of.

Just because you dont believe something doesnt mean its not happening.
    But are your customers 90% white males and asian males, this seems to be an important point for you :)

Its great you can try to be funny when you missed the asian part first time, maybe learn to read instead of focusing on **** jokes :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

CageWager wrote: »
    This is industry standard now. Accenture are laying out 50 grand for anyone who can produce a minority for an executive level role. Does this show how desperate they are to improve opportunities for minorities or how desperate they are to avoid be viewed as discriminatory by the twitterazzi?

Absolutely nuts if this is true.

I am being slightly pedantic but can you prove that the document is from Accenture? It just doesn't specify it.

My doubt lies in the fact that Accenture ( formerly Andersons the oldest Accounting firm in the world) would hardly leave themselves open to the possibility of prosecution for discrimination in the US, or in any country?

To clarify I cannot believe that they would be allowed to have such a policy? My understanding is that companies would have certain HR strategies which would encourage a more " robust " approach to recruitment. It may well be that they have such a policy, but surely this becomes a disincentive to appoint someone of a certain race if it is going to cost 10 times the price, it doesn't make economic sense?

I call BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I worked for a company a few years ago that literally had around 419 white people in an office in Co. Clare.

They panicked at one point and hired a black guy in a complex import arrangement in case they were judged harshly, reported to some board or maybe sued or something.

- Only oddity was that they didn't seem to have a defined role for him, he was just needed to tick that box.

They were just too stupid to recruit properly in a natural way as part of a natural process..... The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Are you not paying attention, it's *a huge problem* and if we allow it to continue we'll be governed by disabled black lesbian muslim refugees who want to destroy our culture.

God damn disabled black lesbian muslim refugees

Down with their kind !!!

Power to.the whites !!!

*This is a ****ing joke of a post incase any lunatic online think im serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭BigStickMick

Shemale wrote: »
    Just because you dont believe something doesnt mean its not happening.

Its great you can try to be funny when you missed the asian part first time, maybe learn to read instead of focusing on **** jokes :)
    Last time I checked nearly all positions of any meaningful power in the business world are occupied by white men so I think we're safe enough for the time being.

Your boycotting Paddy Power because of the demographic make up of one poster is the biggest joke in this thread :)

• Advertisement

I assume it's like all other bookies, they don't want people who know how it works. Local chain near me hires young ones who haven't a clue about anything but kind of know how to work a computer. Means the punters are less likely to argue or start anything with them when the bookie ****s them over. Keep them for 3 or 4 years and get rid before they get too friendly or knowledgeable.

Are you not paying attention, it's *a huge problem* and if we allow it to continue we'll be governed by disabled black lesbian muslim refugees who want to destroy our culture.

Probably isnt *a huge problem* for you as you have the reading and comprehension ability of someone who never went to school so you are probably on the dole.

I clearly called out I have no issue with equality but paying staff to discriminate is a problem, another poster is also aware of this.

Anyway I have said my piece on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Absolutely nuts if this is true.

I am being slightly pedantic but can you prove that the document is from Accenture? It just doesn't specify it.

My doubt lies in the fact that Accenture ( formerly Andersons the oldest Accounting firm in the world) would hardly leave themselves open to the possibility of prosecution for discrimination in the US, or in any country?

To clarify I cannot believe that they would be allowed to have such a policy? My understanding is that companies would have certain HR strategies which would encourage a more " robust " approach to recruitment. It may well be that they have such a policy, but surely this becomes a disincentive to appoint someone of a certain race if it is going to cost 10 times the price, it doesn't make economic sense?

I call BS.

https://www.cebglobal.com/talentdaily/referrals-underpin-accentures-diversity-strategy/

Probably isnt *a huge problem* for you as you have the reading and comprehension ability of someone who never went to school so you are probably on the dole.

I clearly called out I have no issue with equality but paying staff to discriminate is a problem, another poster is also aware of this.

Anyway I have said my piece on this.
    It is no wonder your employers want to replace you with an ethnic minority if this is how you carry on in the office :)

Harsh and slightly far fetched, but I also agree with your paranoia.

I think economics usually wins in these circumstances. Money talks. When the PCness blows over modern business makes appointments based on an economic and going concern bias, rather than any desire to placate the PC brigade. Companies don't appoint someone because of their race, sex or disabilities, on the contrary they employ someone on their ABILITIES and their CAPABILITY of procuring profit and working within an income generating unit.

Not for Profits and the Civil Service are naturally different. A Black Lesbian Maths teacher confined to a wheel chair can still teach Maths.

This needs to be moved out of horseracing.

• Advertisement

Wow. Thanks for clarifying.

Is it an American thing? I mean it is obviously there to counteract some sort of legislation?

Harsh and slightly far fetched, but I also agree with your paranoia.

I think economics usually wins in these circumstances. Money talks. When the PCness blows over modern business makes appointments based on an economic and going concern bias, rather than any desire to placate the PC brigade. Companies don't appoint someone because of their race, sex or disabilities, on the contrary they employ someone on their ABILITIES and their CAPABILITY of procuring profit and working within an income generating unit.

Not for Profits and the Civil Service are naturally different. A Black Lesbian Maths teacher confined to a wheel chair can still teach Maths.

This needs to be moved out of horseracing.
    For the avoidance of doubt, I was not being at all serious with my comment

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Wow. Thanks for clarifying.

Is it an American thing? I mean it is obviously there to counteract some sort of legislation?

Yeah it’s an American thing but I’d imagine they will be pushing to roll it out globally. No idea now they get away with it from a legal standpoint but I assume nobody in there will ever question it for fear of being sent to the gulag just like all the tech firms.

Last time I checked nearly all positions of any meaningful power in the business world are occupied by white men so I think we're safe enough for the time being.

So you have some information to share that positive disrimination is only for cashiers and not all levels? This contradicts the other posters image of Accenture bonuses.

So you have some information to share that positive disrimination is only for cashiers and not all levels? This contradicts the other posters image of Accenture bonuses.
    I honestly don't know what the point is now. That Accenture thing is one not particularly relevant example from America and also includes positive discrimination for veterans.

Betting shop cashier positions are hardly sought after jobs that need a recruiter to go out and find the person with the right skills, they are generally jobs that are given to anyone with basic qualifications so it's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison.

Your getting offended about the demographic make up of one poster and threatening to boycott Paddy Power on the basis of this is totally absurd and makes you look stupid.

Anyway, I'm off to sign on the dole.

Fair enough, the article, written by the Huffington Post, is showing examples of large professional service and IT companies in the states that in fairness are merely fabricating these policies to give the illusion that they are implementing them. It is one thing to " simulate " an approach by potentially offering a larger incentive to employ a more diversified workforce.

The reality is that companies are using these " employment strategies" to buffer themselves against negative PR from the liberals. They can always retort and defend themselves by saying that they offer bigger incentives to employ a more diversified workforce. They are merely covering their ass. By having the policy they actually don't have to implement it. It is what is not written down that is relevant .

It is not unlike the OP's original jab at the Paddy Power poster. The fact remains that the company prefers to employ whites etc. So to window dress their employment strategy they include a diversified race profile on their employment poster.

It is all about PR and how the company wants to be perceived.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I came in here to lol at the thread but actually have a question.

If the non white, non Asian folks are fully capable of doing the job as well, or better than the aforementioned, who gives a flying ****?

I don't care what the person offering me a service looks like as long as they're competent.
    Also, what's wrong with a bit of diversity?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Saw this poster for recruitment in Powers, seems they want to hire everyone except the people who make up probably 90% of their customer base.

This boils my piss, will do my best not to punt with them.

Positive discrimination yet running "enough of the nonsense" ads

Looks pretty much like the full staff compliment on a busy saturday in my local PP, What's the issue?

Looks pretty much like the full staff compliment on a busy saturday in my local PP, What's the issue?

From memory you live in the UK? That being the case you are correct.

I think the op is posting from an Irish perspective. Let's be frank here, Ireland is not as ethnically diverse as the UK is.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    If the non white, non Asian folks are fully capable of doing the job as well, or better than the aforementioned, who gives a flying ****?

Like I said I too have no issue with equality and the best person should ALWAYS get the job.

If you worked in HR and the best candidate was a white male or an asian male but you could earn 7k more for you and your family by not giving them the job you wouldnt give them the job.

• Advertisement

From memory you live in the UK? That being the case you are correct.

I think the op is posting from an Irish perspective. Let's be frank here, Ireland is not as ethnically diverse as the UK is.

Nowhere does that poster state its for the irish market though, op is just outraged about nothing, another with an agenda when it comes to non whites.

Nowhere does that poster state its for the irish market though, op is just outraged about nothing, another with an agenda when it comes to non whites.

That is all that it is. The fact remains that all businesses survive based on rational economic decisions, at all levels.

It never stopped the textile industry in Bradford and Leeds employing Indians and Pakistanis, did it?

However they were employed on an economic basis, as in they were cheap labour. They didn't get the work because of their ethnicity. All appointments are made on an economic basis, in the private sector at least.

The irony is that any appointment which is made to indulge the diversify argument actually costs the employee. If it is costing an extra 20-30k to employ them you can be sure it is getting docked from their salary. There is no way a company is going to be out of pocket over such an appointment.

Cant you read either?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Well I wouldn’t be taking a lead from Arthur Andersen aka accenture, the former discredited auditors of Enron. Window dressing by them , what they are good at .

Shows the “bananas” world we live in .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Didn't you mention once before that you live n the whitest of white towns, from memory, you described it (on another thread) as similar to '1980's rural white-Ireland', over in a some posh part of engerland.
    So maybe, you're telling wild porkies for an agenda or added drama.

Either that, or much of this very limited local ethnicity, is strangely concetrated inside your local betting shop, of which many diverse cultures would frown upon greatly indeed from the outset...

Anyhow, it's likely PP would have media tweaked/designed and printed for various markets, as such if this was seen in Irish shop, it's pretty strange.

Likely it was done by some freshly woke marketing intern, else a marketing guru legend who is rubbing his (or her) hands at the thought of it getting on to Liveline for free PR and 15mins of free market positioned topical debate.

Where has this photo come from anyway? Doesn't seem to exist on the web at all.

Genuinely amazed that there would this much furore over the presence of a few non white people in a photo, honestly.

Cant you read either, lefty?

I can read you and you're sick agenda perfectly.

I can read you and you're sick agenda perfectly.

*your

Get yourself an education before running around branding people racists.

So women looking for equal rights are sexist, right? No, that is how simpletons draw their conclusions.

*your

Get yourself an education before running around branding people racists.

So women looking for equal rights are sexist, right? No, that is how simpletons draw their conclusions.
    Might want to stop getting your piss boiled by the presence of black people in posters before running around getting offended by people calling you racist too. Just saying.

• Advertisement

Might want to stop getting your piss boiled by the presence of black people in posters before running around getting offended by people calling you racist too. Just saying.

Dont yell at BigStingMing you know he's a little slow...

Oh, start throwing black and white around without reading / understanding a single post...

I cant find the picture its clearly photshopped....

It been great chatting with you, I will let you get back to drinking cocktails in your villa :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement