Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

My first Cork Dublin game was 1989.

Same here, in Championship .

Dinny Allen and Keith Barr had a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Stoner wrote:
    Well done brining the kids and supporting their county, I think that's very important, nothing worse than a parent trying to get their kid to support a county they are not from.

You take that back...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Redsoxfan wrote:
    You take that back...

They can have Donegal as a silver medal!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Stoner wrote: »
    Ahh so it's not him, looked him up too. He scored against Derry in 1993, it does look like him, are you sure he didn't do a little bit over there

It was a lad from Cork, was great at fielding from a standing position even though he wasn't that tall. I read about him using some of his skills form Australia. In the early 90s

This might not register with you, but I cant remember who it was against but I think it was kerry, or in Munster, but he blasted the ball and kind of bent it around the defender, a GAA banana shot.

I was thinking about it following mayos great goal at the weekend, I was going over some of the greats I remembered.

I don’t ever remember him going down under. It wasn’t that popular back then. I can’t recall anyone else in those times apart from Corkery. o Driscoll was great in the air and a super goal finisher. Injuries kept him off the field though a lot.

Same here, in Championship .

Dinny Allen and Keith Barr had a pop.

Remember joe McNally. Carrying some belly back then!

• Advertisement

Remember joe McNally. Carrying some belly back then!

He liked his pints alright.

Was in the canal end that day.

He liked his pints alright.

Was in the canal end that day.

Was in the Hogan with no ticket!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Emptier then I thought would be so far. Rossies getting a leathering

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Safe to say Costello has lost his spot!

Slattsy wrote: »
    Safe to say Costello has lost his spot!
    Was a decent final push but we were pure in sections

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Was Davy Byrne previously the reserve keeper?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Dublin under gavin have been notorious for sluggish starts, common trend

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Janey Mac it's chaos over there. Thankfully the Yerras and Mayo will have the place destroyed tomorrow so we won't have to worry about all the mini Ewan McKennas until next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

nc6000 wrote: »
    Was Davy Byrne previously the reserve keeper?

About 20 years ago. Goalkeeper coach now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Gael85 wrote:
    About 20 years ago. Goalkeeper coach now.

Thanks. So the Davy Byrne playing now is a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Happy to get the win but I think we have given others hope seem to lose a lot of breaking ball scoreline no way reflects. The way the. Match went .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Tombo2001 wrote: »

FYI - not a Dub myself, but the kids all have the jerseys.

I love this bit it is like an apology for making them Dubs! :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, feel sorry for Cork, they did everything right against us, but just ran out of steam near the end. We've royally screwed over their score difference as well. Roscommon might be as well to just ensure that they don't get hammered and they're on a better footing than Cork straight away.

We did not play well, Cork has us under some immense pressure at times, something that I haven't seen outside of Mayo and Kerry over the last few years.

More stuff for Gavin to work on, I guess, but for once I'm starting to doubt whether this malaise can be solved this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Cork gave Dublin a really good game there for good while. Really surprised by them if they done that with Kerry they would of won.

Especially considering they could barely kick points in the Munster final at times.

Again though what Dublin done proved how they never give in threw out a game. Keep going going going and you will get your rewards.

Those quick fire goals in second half really killed the game but they took them when others might not of.

Jack was brilliant caused so many issues threw out the game. Macauley is such a funny player to watch. He will work hard win ball and get himself into positions but jesus he ****s the bed as soon as he finds himself in a position of threat. Im surprised he didnt play the ball back for someone else for his goal!

Rock must be getting a start next time out. Costello had his worst game of the season today.

Whats the story with Bernard not even on the bench? Will he get any time before end ?

Cork gave Dublin a really good game there for good while. Really surprised by them if they done that with Kerry they would of won.

Especially considering they could barely kick points in the Munster final at times.

Again though what Dublin done proved how they never give in threw out a game. Keep going going going and you will get your rewards.

Those quick fire goals in second half really killed the game but they took them when others might not of.

Jack was brilliant caused so many issues threw out the game. Macauley is such a funny player to watch. He will work hard win ball and get himself into positions but jesus he ****s the bed as soon as he finds himself in a position of threat. Im surprised he didnt play the ball back for someone else for his goal!

Rock must be getting a start next time out. Costello had his worst game of the season today.

Whats the story with Bernard not even on the bench? Will he get any time before end ?

I think we exposed a few weaknesses in the Dublin defence but just didn’t have the legs or the manpower to last the 80 odd minutes played.

Standout players for you are jack and Fenton. Just couldn’t lay a glove on them when ran at us. I Callaghan up front too is lethal for setting up and getting goals.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, feel sorry for Cork, they did everything right against us, but just ran out of steam near the end. We've royally screwed over their score difference as well. Roscommon might be as well to just ensure that they don't get hammered and they're on a better footing than Cork straight away.

We did not play well, Cork has us under some immense pressure at times, something that I haven't seen outside of Mayo and Kerry over the last few years.

More stuff for Gavin to work on, I guess, but for once I'm starting to doubt whether this malaise can be solved this year.

Cork should of had at least two more goals, Donavan was in early on and should have stayed going, then there was the one that was hit staraight at Cluxton.
    Scoreboard was really skewed at the end with those giveaway goals - beat the spread apparently.
    I think Cork gave a template for other teams on how to beat Dublin, need tremendous fitness for it though.
    Cork were defending great until that MDM goal. the defence stayed central and did not get dragged out wide until that.
    I enjoyed the way Cork played, thier lads had clever movement and varied the speed.

It seemed like there was three or four Kerrigan's on the pitch, the fella was everywhere.
    I know Cork lost but he should be man of the match by right.

I think we exposed a few weaknesses in the Dublin defence but just didn’t have the legs or the manpower to last the 80 odd minutes played.

Standout players for you are jack and Fenton. Just couldn’t lay a glove on them when ran at us. I Callaghan up front too is lethal for setting up and getting goals.

Con's strength on and around the ball is second to none. Its a huge part of his game and how he is able to make things out of nothing.

I love watching players like Fenton play. Big powerful lad in middle winning a ball from kick outs and driving forward with pace and power. Imagine a midfield of Bryan Fenton and Ciaran Whelan.

Con's strength on and around the ball is second to none. Its a huge part of his game and how he is able to make things out of nothing.

I love watching players like Fenton play. Big powerful lad in middle winning a ball from kick outs and driving forward with pace and power. Imagine a midfield of Bryan Fenton and Ciaran Whelan.

Whelan was great on the ball but could go missing sometimes.

I don’t think Dublin have been on top of their game this year like other years. However I can’t see who will take advantage but donegal would be interesting.

We are paying the price for playing at lower levels but we do have a lot of younger talent coming through as well as players who were injured tonight. Powter in full fitness would give jack plenty of it as he has that explosive pace.

Not sure about that midfield it would be all Raheny for a start! :D

Not sure about that midfield it would be all Raheny for a start! :D

Spent many a summer out there with me cousins..... Bleedin northsiders :pac:

I think the thing with Dublin is there willing to give teams a certain amount of space but most dont take the advantage!

As Cork showed today if you actually go out and play Dublin you can get rewards the problem is you need to be able to stand up and do it for 70 plus minutes!

As soon as you drop off or make a mistake this team will punish you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

CatInABox wrote: »

Our tackling may not have been aggressive enough but sometimes you just have to credit the opposition. Normally Dublin dominate all the entry points into the game. We'll secure our own kickout, pressure the oppositions, secure turnovers while not wasting our possession etc. Cork completely turned that around on us. They dominated midfield and when they got it they were patient and accurate with their play. They either kicked a score and kicked it dead with nearly every possession in the first half. Robbed us of our usual platform. Its still ****ing hard to outscore us though.:D

Brain Howard was the only forward not to kick a score but i thought he had a fantastic game. Opposition players must know his step is coming but still they get done every time. Great to watch.

Whelan was great on the ball but could go missing sometimes.

He didn't really compared to anyone else.

Fenton has never had to carry the team, Whelan with MDMA and Howard beside him, people wouldn't even notice the quiet spells.

Whelan had a centre back playing beside him for most of his important games.

Fenton has had O'Sullivan, McCarthy, Howard, MDMA in that position all far better midfielders than Shane Ryan was. There wasn't a great panel during Whelans time.

Fenton has never had to carry the team, Whelan with MDMA and Howard beside him, people wouldn't even notice the quiet spells.

Fenton has had O'Sullivan, McCarthy, Howard, MDMA in that position all far better midfielders than Shane Ryan was. There wasn't a great panel during Whelans time.

Shane Ryan was some player on his day. Had serious engine in him. Might not of had the technical ability but worked his hole off.

Definitely agree that Whelan didn’t have close to the quality of team mates that are there now. It was a different game back then and less structured. Kick outs were all long and up for grabs.

He’d have made a great impact sub though with his pace!

• Advertisement

Shane Ryan was some player on his day. Had serious engine in him. Might not of had the technical ability but worked his hole off.
    I'd rather a ryaner then a whelo in my team

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement