Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Anyone stay over in Omagh last year or for any of the league games?
    Usually day trip it but decided to make a weekend of it for the bank hol weekend.
    Is it any use to go out in?

It's decent, if we bounce off them you'll get a hostile reception. They are bad on a good day.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Anyone stay over in Omagh last year or for any of the league games? Usually day trip it but decided to make a weekend of it for the bank hol weekend. Is it any use to go out in?

Up and back, steak in Sally's on the way home.

It's one of my favourite runs.

Stoner wrote: »
    Anyone stay over in Omagh last year or for any of the league games? Usually day trip it but decided to make a weekend of it for the bank hol weekend. Is it any use to go out in?

Up and back, steak in Sally's on the way home.

It's one of my favourite runs.

This 1+

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Usually day trip it but decided to make a weekend of it for the bank hol weekend.

Never stay out in Omagh really. Maybe for a couple after if I'm not driving and then back to The Moy or Fungannon.

Drove straight back last year though. Might go down to Sligo for that weekend so will bang across from there I would reckon this time.

Never stay out in Omagh really. Maybe for a couple after if I'm not driving and then back to The Moy or Fungannon.

Drove straight back last year though. Might go down to Sligo for that weekend so will bang across from there I would reckon this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I've stayed over a few times however I find Enniskillen a far more welcoming town.

Might have something to do with the fact that we haven't given Fermanagh a bating lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Good luck finding a hotel room in Omagh this close to the game. So factor that into yizzer plans too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

TBH, I never considered staying over in Ulster apart from Donegal its usually a handy run wrt GAA locations.
    Kerry and Donegal are the only spots I stayed over in although certain spots in Cork can be a long day out.

In my student days and before the Throne lads decided to have sprogs the trip to Fungannon and staying over there was almost the rule rather than an option.

In my student days and before the Throne lads decided to have sprogs the trip to Fungannon and staying over there was almost the rule rather than an option.

Ahh but you've family there BonnieSituation.
    There's probably a guest hut in the fort for you, and you went back with a tank of free diesel and a stack of DVDs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Really looking forward to this match with Cork. We rarely play them in the football these days but always remember them from when I was younger.

There Barry's tea and Esat Digi fone jerseys and Colin Corkery a bear in white boots! They had some decent players over the years but wouldnt know any of them now I'd imagine.

Really looking forward to this match with Cork. We rarely play them in the football these days but always remember them from when I was younger.

There Barry's tea and Esat Digi fone jerseys and Colin Corkery a bear in white boots! They had some decent players over the years but wouldnt know any of them now I'd imagine.
    Nemo's finest. Loved corkery

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Very talented player. Couldn't miss him on a pitch for many reasons!

Very talented player. Couldn't miss him on a pitch for many reasons!

He was a monster of a man but kicking scores off his shoulder from 40 yards if found out that far wasn't to be scoffed at

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

He was a monster of a man but kicking scores off his shoulder from 40 yards if found out that far wasn't to be scoffed at

Kicked a winner in all Ireland club final from at least 60. Never seen anyone kick a ball as far as him and accurately.

Kicked a winner in all Ireland club final from at least 60. Never seen anyone kick a ball as far as him and accurately.
    The issue wasn't him kicking the distance it was seeing him travel so far back to take the ball on hahah his weight dictated that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Which will be a better game in yizzers opinion? The Cork or Roscommon. Will only go to one.

Its mainly to bring the kids, and at the moment the only tickets left for the Cork game are in the Cusack right up in RR section in the corner; just dont like those seats at all, especially on a sunny day.

Am tempted to kick it out to the following week; or indeed to scrap the Dublin games and go to the Hurling instead. Been to a lot of one sided Dublin games and cant imagine that Roscommon will come anywhere near the Dubs; am thinking Cork might put up a bit of a fight. Am I wrong?

FYI - not a Dub myself, but the kids all have the jerseys.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Which will be a better game in yizzers opinion? The Cork or Roscommon. Will only go to one.

Its mainly to bring the kids, and at the moment the only tickets left for the Cork game are in the Cusack right up in RR section in the corner; just dont like those seats at all, especially on a sunny day.

Am tempted to kick it out to the following week; or indeed to scrap the Dublin games and go to the Hurling instead. Been to a lot of one sided Dublin games and cant imagine that Roscommon will come anywhere near the Dubs; am thinking Cork might put up a bit of a fight. Am I wrong?

Your wrong mate. Dublin will breeze both potential banana skin in omagh but sure the 8s be over by then

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Hard to know really, both Cork and Roscommon have both played pretty well at times, but have also got clear problems in their systems and defence.

A bigger question surrounds just how good Dublin have been this year, in my opinion. Our performances have been enough to put up big scores, but that's against teams that never believed that they could win. Neither Cork or Roscommon will have that problem, at least not to the same extent.

Personally, I'd see it as a coin toss, but I do like the way Roscommon are playing at the moment, so I'd probably go see them myself.

Tombo2001 wrote:

I'd day Roscommon Tombo , even looking at the divisions the two have been floating around in.

Cork and Meath are the two left from outside some kind of pack, you'd expect more of an atmosphere at the Roscommon game.

IMO. There wont be many Cork supporters at the football this year.

Well done brining the kids and supporting their county, I think that's very important, nothing worse than a parent trying to get their kid to support a county they are not from.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Hard to know really, both Cork and Roscommon have both played pretty well at times, but have also got clear problems in their systems and defence.

A bigger question surrounds just how good Dublin have been this year, in my opinion. Our performances have been enough to put up big scores, but that's against teams that never believed that they could win. Neither Cork or Roscommon will have that problem, at least not to the same extent.

Personally, I'd see it as a coin toss, but I do like the way Roscommon are playing at the moment, so I'd probably go see them myself.

YUP thanks -

The thing about the Dubs - they are brilliant to watch when they are against a team that can put it up to them. The games with Mayo a few years back - there is an argument to say they were best games of gaelic football we've ever seen.

But you're lucky if that type of game comes along once a year, and at that its most likely in the final when most people cant get a ticket anyway.

Even against lesser teams, they are still brilliant to watch - in the first half.

I'd day Roscommon Tombo , even looking at the divisions the two have been floating around in.

Cork and Meath are the two left from outside some kind of pack, you'd expect more of an atmosphere at the Roscommon game.

IMO. There wont be many Cork supporters at the football this year.

Well done brining the kids and supporting their county, I think that's very important, nothing worse than a parent trying to get their kid to support a county they are not from.

Its all about the club.

Cant speak highly enough about the underage club set up for GAA in Dublin, not just in our own area but everywhere we go to in Dublin.

He'd a great solo too, hard to disposes.

The Dubs got Brian Stynes around then too. The lads came back from Australia with a great skill set. Who was the other Cork player that came back then too.

Scored a cracker in a munster final i think, always wore the white cycle shorts

They were all great at fielding the ball. At the time I remember reading about the emphasis placed on certain skills in Australia. Stynes was fantastic for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭Gael85

The Dubs got Brian Stynes around then too. The lads came back from Australia with a great skill set. Who was the other Cork player that came back then too.

They were all great at fielding the ball. At the time I remember reading about the emphasis placed on certain skills in Australia. Stynes was fantastic for Dublin.

John O'Driscoll?

Gael85 wrote:
    John O'Driscoll?

That's him. I should have just PMed you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Good luck finding a hotel room in Omagh this close to the game. So factor that into yizzer plans too.

Have that sorted. Airbnb is the job. Don’t do hotels anymore

John O’Driscoll? He never played down under though except in the compromise rules.

My first Cork Dublin game was 1989. We had a better team back then but got an awful start. Luckily we got 2 penalties to get us back into it. Of course 2010 was a great win for us and 1995 the year jayo(cork roots) came alive.

• Advertisement

John O’Driscoll? He never played down under though except in the compromise rules.

Ahh so it's not him, looked him up too. He scored against Derry in 1993, it does look like him, are you sure he didn't do a little bit over there

It was a lad from Cork, was great at fielding from a standing position even though he wasn't that tall. I read about him using some of his skills form Australia. In the early 90s

This might not register with you, but I cant remember who it was against but I think it was kerry, or in Munster, but he blasted the ball and kind of bent it around the defender, a GAA banana shot.

I was thinking about it following mayos great goal at the weekend, I was going over some of the greats I remembered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement