Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Fair play to Laois but that's a shameful performance by the team.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Good luck getting the younger generation of Dublin girls and boys,interested in the small ball after today's game.

They were saying the opposite the match previously!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

It the same aul shīte we've been seeing for far too long. Just a very inconsistent team. Mattie will have plenty of time now to reassess and come back for the league campaign.

Genuinely gutted as I thought we were building some momentum but they just find new ways to lose games they have no business losing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Balls.

Looking forward to next year when he's had more time with the lads, but I can't help but feel disappointed after the Galway game.

Fair play to Laois as well, took their opportunity, good luck to them for the rest of the championship.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Balls.

Looking forward to next year when he's had more time with the lads, but I can't help but feel disappointed after the Galway game.

Fair play to Laois as well, took their opportunity, good luck to them for the rest of the championship.

If Kenny can figure out how to get more than one/two performances in a row out of this team he deserves the keys to the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

JRant wrote: »
    If Kenny can figure out how to get more than one/two performances in a row out of this team he deserves the keys to the city.

Kenny couldn't figure out how to beat Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

How many wides?

That's just not good enough. These guys seem to lack a bit of bottle when the stakes are high.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Jayus, it does not sound good so far hopefully Laois tire later on.

:):).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Body language was terrible from the outset. Laois were able to play tippy tappy stuff around us without a challenge on them. Sure most of the time they could afford to fumble the sliothar and still have time to regather before an attempted challenge came their way. I say attempted because most of the time they were able to breeze through soft shoulders. The Dublin wides, misplaced passes, etc, were all symptoms of that poor mindset.

Tomas Connolly had his game face on. Thats probably it. The rest largely went through the motions. Sean Moran irritated me he was that casual in the game. Management went through the motions too. At half time i thought we're not hurling well but at least Kenny will get hold of them at there'll be a bit of fire in them for the second half. Yeah that didn't happen.

Sounds strange but Laois were only ok. They wasted plenty of ball and had a few poor wides themselves. They can play better. The really depressing thing was ok was good enough to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭howiya

JRant wrote: »
    They had Clare v Meath on earlier and that's in the same venue. It would have made too much sense to actually show the game.

Makes perfect sense from RTE's point of view. They're only allowed show x amount of games a year by the GAA. Showing a second game today would mean having to show one game less during the business end of the season.

I think we'll be better off in the long run that the only Dublin kids that saw that performance today were the few that were at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

corny wrote: »
    Body language was terrible from the outset. Laois were able to play tippy tappy stuff around us without a challenge on them. Sure most of the time they could afford to fumble the sliothar and still have time to regather before an attempted challenge came their way. I say attempted because most of the time they were able to breeze through soft shoulders. The Dublin wides, misplaced passes, etc, were all symptoms of that poor mindset.

Tomas Connolly had his game face on. Thats probably it. The rest largely went through the motions. Sean Moran irritated me he was that casual in the game. Management went through the motions too. At half time i thought we're not hurling well but at least Kenny will get hold of them at there'll be a bit of fire in them for the second half. Yeah that didn't happen.

Sounds strange but Laois were only ok. They wasted plenty of ball and had a few poor wides themselves. They can play better. The really depressing thing was ok was good enough to win.

Even in the Sunday game highlights, it looks like Moran had a nightmare.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Even in the Sunday game highlights, it looks like Moran had a nightmare.

I just saw it was his 'effort' that lead to the goal. ****ing raging at this stage.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

dublin hurling is still a bit of an enigma , dalo could never put his finger on how these flat days would happen when he was in charge , he still talks about them

its something in the psyche of the current dublin side . when i landed in portlaoise today for the football i could not ignore the bullishness from the laois people , the last time i saw that was when cheddar was in charge of them shortly after we won the all ireland and they put us to the pin of our coller , brennan is a serious coach too though he would never have let a game go that long without introducing the likes of eoin o donnell , jake malone or tracy all of them would have been on by half time had he been dublin manager

matty kenny is an excellent coach but today asks questions about him , i was expecting dublin to beat tipperary next week such is the talent in this squad at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Awful result yesterday players must be really gutted. It's very frustrating that we keep having a terrible result after a good one .As others have said Laois were only ok but still deserved to win unfortunately we have a long wait to get up and running again .Bad weekend with the loss to kildare in the football but at least they get another chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

dublin hurling is still a bit of an enigma , dalo could never put his finger on how these flat days would happen when he was in charge , he still talks about them

I don't think Kenny is all that great, he's consistently got tactics and match ups wrong and been slow to see it form the sideline

Don't think there's any enigma with the hurlers, same as the footballers prior to Gilroy. Team full of lads who go missing under pressure.

I know it is easy in hindsight, but Paul Ryan should have started, reliable free taker.

Bambi wrote: »
    I don't think Kenny is all that great, he's consistently got tactics and match ups wrong and been slow to see it form the sideline

Don't think there's any enigma with the hurlers, same as the footballers prior to Gilroy. Team full of lads who go missing under pressure.

I think you hit the nail on the head here, that is why the Galway game was cheered to the rafters. It was such an anomaly for the hurlers.
    They threw away games last year, and were very lucky to get the draw v Wexford this year imo.

The noughties footballers were notorious for folding, former opponents have mentioned it - they expected them to fold.

The hurlers have to start getting a consistency going and don't let one win go to thier heads.

In fairness to Laois they did seem to get thier tactics right on the day.
    It will be interesting to see how they fare against Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

If anyone is going up to ticket office on Dorset Street tomorrow would they be kind enough to confirm if they're selling tickets for both the Cork and Roscommon games to PP holders?

Thanks in advance

In fairness to Laois they did seem to get thier tactics right on the day.
    It will be interesting to see how they fare against Tipp.

They did. Leaving Barrett free for the puck out really aided their cause in the first half. Dublin played short and then either dropped ball on their sweeper or played clumsily through midfield. Either way we handed them back possession cheaply. It was only in the second half that Nolan went more direct and ignored the short option. Took us that long to notice a change was needed.

The one positive i'd take from this season is the obvious improvement in some of our younger lads. Boland and Smyth have come on a lot under Kenny.

Only tickets for cork match on sale in Dorset street surprise thought the might have the two croke park matches for sale to pp holders at least.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I see Cooper is still out. Taking a long time to get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Stoner wrote: »
    I see Cooper is still out. Taking a long time to get back.
    And McCarthy. Hope they're just being rested for the Rossies 😋😋

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Fann Linn wrote:
    And McCarthy. Hope they're just being rested for the Rossies 😋😋

Said in the Herald that McCarty will miss Roscommon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Another fairly comfortable win for the U20s tonight, 1-17 to 0-6. Final is July 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Lads has anyone any idea about the match in Omagh if it's going be Saturday of the bank holiday weekend, Just need to make plans beforehand.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Lads has anyone any idea about the match in Omagh if it's going be Saturday of the bank holiday weekend, Just need to make plans beforehand.

No word yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

CatInABox wrote: »
    No word yet.

Probably depends on the results in first two rounds. In theory cork and Roscommon could win first two matches and make it a dead rubber!!

Might seem a bit getting ahead of myself but i fully expect us to win the first two games so Omagh match will not be such a big deal overall .I would hope to win of course but avoiding injuries and or suspensions will be very important as it looks like it will take a big effort to win it this year .I do think at the moment any of the last four will be capable of winning this year unlike other years .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Anyone stay over in Omagh last year or for any of the league games?
    Usually day trip it but decided to make a weekend of it for the bank hol weekend.
    Is it any use to go out in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Anyone stay over in Omagh last year or for any of the league games?
    Usually day trip it but decided to make a weekend of it for the bank hol weekend.
    Is it any use to go out in?

No its a kip. Horrible place. As is Northern Ireland on the whole actually. And the Guinness is awful. That's mainly why I don't like it. And the people. And the accents are brutal. And the women, mutants. All in all, you should definitely stay over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement