Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

No I don't see him starting. Who would you leave out? (assuming DC gets back to full championship fitness) The Dublin forwards currently pick themselves bar the Costello/Rock rotation. It would be awful hard to pick a fella to drop at the moment.

I agree.
    Fenton and Howard have softened the loss of Flynn and Connelly. I think some of Connellys best contributions to Dublin have been his ability on the ball, showing kickouts etc. With MDMA and Bastic, Flynn and Connelly were often the ones that fielded the ball for Dublin.

His runs into space for the rapid kickout, all good stuff. His scoring has not been as important. Particularly against good Kerry teams he's collected a lot of ball.

Howard does a lot of that now, plus a little bit of fullback stuff, but he does not make the passes Connelly can. He runs it better though.

I think Connelly can play in packed defenses too, better than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Stoner wrote: »
    I agree.
    Fenton and Howard have softened the loss of Flynn and Connelly. I think some of Connellys best contributions to Dublin have been his ability on the ball, showing kickouts etc. With MDMA and Bastic, Flynn and Connelly were often the ones that fielded the ball for Dublin.

His runs into space for the rapid kickout, all good stuff. His scoring has not been as important. Particularly against good Kerry teams he's collected a lot of ball.

Howard does a lot of that now, plus a little bit of fullback stuff, but he does not make the passes Connelly can. He runs it better though.

I think Connelly can play in packed defenses too, better than most.

Scully as well can seem to do everything covers an awful lot of ground.
    I think it as great 'problem' to have of who to start now.
    I am just thinking of the the looks the opposition backs will give each other when they see a fresh Connolly ready to come on late in game - and they are knackered. :eek:

Then you still have Kevin Mc/Brogan in the mix.
    I never thought I would see the likes of it.
    It's great!

Kerry used to have that strength in depth in the forward line and it used to sicken me to see the subs they had - Mike Frank and the likes.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

corny wrote:
    Why are Irish people so precious about booing? Whats the big deal?

Depends who's doing it Corny.

It doesn't become your average GAA supporter the behaviour is****

Disappointing,
    Uneducated,
    Uncivilized,
    Similar to soccer hooligans,
    Associated with common people,
    Due to poor patenting,
    From people from large families,
    Huge families where you had to scream for food
    Small houses, no land
    Dirty houses
    Dirty loud houses
    Dirty bastxrds!!

Up the Dubs !!!

**** Excludes when the mass of their fans show up in the one place and do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

corny wrote: »

It’s the same in rugby, I doubt any decent kicker is put off by a bit of noise.

That is a very good question actually.
    In South American soccer they would have no problem with it.
    Maybe it is because Ireland is a strong rugby country and there is a large crossover with the GAA?
    No booing there complete silence - could never imagine that culture at a GAA game. The freetaker would have more chance of missing if that happened - could freak him out!

• Advertisement

Kerry used to have that strength in depth in the forward line and it used to sicken me to see the subs they had - Mike Frank and the likes.

True but Kevin Mc, Brogan, O'Gara, Andrews must be on their last year.
    That bench would look like the kerry Bench in 2015 if they were the forwards on it.

I'm happy Paddy Small is getting a run.

Anyone know what's happening with killian O'Gara. Hasn't even been near the O' Byrne cup panel in a two years, he must be 23 now? Heard he's still playing and playing well.

That is a very good question actually.
    In South American soccer they would have no problem with it.
    Maybe it is because Ireland is a strong rugby country and there is a large crossover with the GAA?
    No booing there complete silence - could never imagine that culture at a GAA game. The freetaker would have more chance of missing if that happened - could freak him out!

Aussie rules they set up behind the goal with huge flags to distract the kickers eye line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

salmocab wrote: »
    Aussie rules they set up behind the goal with huge flags to distract the kickers eye line.

When you are putting yourself on a par with the Aussies you know you are scraping the barrell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I've a feeling Connolly wont get too many minutes anyway, if im being honest.

Has he played well for Vincent since he came back from Boston??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

You think DC is only capable of being an impact Sub?

Dermot is fit as a fiddle and will get up to championship standard In no time. If the powers that be take a step back and allow him play football he will blow teams away

No I don't see him starting.
    Who would you leave out? (assuming DC gets back to full championship fitness)
    The Dublin forwards currently pick themselves bar the Costello/Rock rotation.
    It would be awful hard to pick a fella to drop at the moment.

I'd have Dermo in over any of them there. Dermo in that 11 role like he played against Donegal 2015, when they brought him deep each time and he was driving with Fenton who got MOTM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

That happens at any important GAA game with a big crowd, young lads gather in groups, it's never going to stop, it's not something that will go away imo. Too many fairweather supporters in the GAA across the board.

I don't do it, but did when I was younger. I remember at the 91 replays against Meath both sets of supporters at it, it was almost your duty, that's how it feels on the hill.

In the stand with your wife and kids, not so much.

It's always a good way to drop in pathetic and disappointing into a conversation. When it loses its universal stamp across all support bases and is identified as only coming from one set, we are in pathetic territory alright.

TBH it's part of being a good free taker.
    The fist up to the Dublin supporters after the penno was scored was an up yours type gesture, and fair play to him.

IMO the GAA is different to other sports here, players don't get penalised for gesturing to opposition fans, it's a reward for all the abuse they get.

All those older Kerry and Meath lads have written about the joy of scoring into the hill when it's hopping.

I think you've illustrated my point to be honest.

Dublin vs Meath in the early 1990s were two genuine rivals - equals - going head to head.

No one is going into the game on Saturday evening thinking Cork are going to win. FFS, Cork looked like they had less than a thousand supporters there so shows how much confidence there was in their camp.

Its unlikely Dublin are going to win by less than ten points.

This was not a game between equals, and everyone knew it.

On top of that, Dublin fans were outnumbering Cork fans by 10 to 1.

And then - on top of that again - to also be jeering their free-taker?

Sorry - it just doesn't sit well.

As I said, Dublin fans haven't matured the way the team has matured; they need to cop on and cut that crap out.

Tombo2001 wrote:
    As I said, Dublin fans haven't matured the way the team has matured; they need to cop on and cut that crap out.

That's the problem though, they wont mature by the very nature of things, they'll still be young lads doing it in 10 years if someone else wants to come and say the same thing they will be able to

TBH it's at all the well attended games, you are reading too much into it and being a little selective and cute in your approach to highlighting IMO

Big games with Kerry, Tyrone, Dublin, Mayo, Donegal they are all at it.

You should probably open a thread on it, or let the lads in the other forums know that some of their fans behaviour doesn't sit well with you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    No one is going into the game on Saturday evening thinking Cork are going to win. FFS, Cork looked like they had less than a thousand supporters there so shows how much confidence there was in their camp.

In fairness to Cork supporters, there was two Cork games on this weekend, and not many can afford to go to two in one weekend these days.

CatInABox wrote: »
    In fairness to Cork supporters, there was two Cork games on this weekend, and not many can afford to go to two in one weekend these days.

I appreciate that but even with that, there were not many Cork supporters.

My daughter actually asked me why there were only Dublin fans in the stadium.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

That's the problem though, they wont mature by the very nature of things, they'll still be young lads doing it in 10 years if someone else wants to come and say the same thing they will be able to

TBH it's at all the well attended games, you are reading too much into it and being a little selective and cute in your approach to highlighting IMO

Big games with Kerry, Tyrone, Dublin, Mayo, Donegal they are all at it.

You should probably open a thread on it, or let the lads in the other forums know that some of their fans behaviour doesn't sit well with you.

Was at the Connacht final back in 2010, Donie Shine lining up a free to win it for Roscommon, last kick of the game stuff, boos and jeers coming from all the Sligo supporters around the park. Sounded incredibly loud, but he stroked it over anyway.

All counties do it. It's been going on for decades. Seems it's only a problem when one county does it though. The phrase pearl-clutching comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭Gael85

Slattsy wrote: »
    I've a feeling Connolly wont get too many minutes anyway, if im being honest.

Has he played well for Vincent since he came back from Boston??

He started the season with Vincent's at centre back. Pushed up to forwards in recent games. Got 2 goals against Kilmacud Crokes and 2 goals against TSS last week.

CatInABox wrote:

Without going too much off thread,

Not allowing a double header was bad form IMO, for the Cork supporters but particularly for the Cork football team, the players.

They have been getting stuck in and a double header would have shown that to some Cork people.

CatInABox wrote:
    The phrase pearl-clutching comes to mind.

I had to look that up.

Was at the Connacht final back in 2010, Donie Shine lining up a free to win it for Roscommon, last kick of the game stuff, boos and jeers coming from all the Sligo supporters around the park. Sounded incredibly loud, but he stroked it over anyway.

All counties do it. It's been going on for decades. Seems it's only a problem when one county does it though. The phrase pearl-clutching comes to mind.

I wont try to defend the above, but I will say its a completely different situation.

Sligo win a Connaught title, that's a massive win for them. Its the last kick of the game.

The game the other day, there was little or nothing riding on the Cork free. It was just pure pettiness, trying to ridicule the guy.

Not allowing a double header was bad form IMO, for the Cork supporters but particularly for the Cork football team, the players.

They have been getting stuck in and a double header would have shown that to some Cork people.

Yup agreed - if anything, it must be disheartening for the footballers that Cork fans en masse decided it was the hurling they would go to. Especially as they hadn't been in Croker for a football match for quite some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

salmocab wrote: »
    It’s the same in rugby, I doubt any decent kicker is put off by a bit of noise.

I think they've (the rugby lads) created the belief that its a heinous crime. They've a lot to answer for!

In France they chant and make lots of noise when their own kicker is kicking. There's no problem. The Aussies and NZ'ers will make tremendous noise to put off the kicker. No problem there. By contrast if you were in Thomond and you started to boo you'd probably be attacked. They're full of **** too. The crowd regularly tries to distract the hooker throwing in at the lineout. Thats somehow ok?. Weird.

Its just virtue signalling. Irish people are good at that.

I think they've (the rugby lads) created the belief that its a heinous crime. They've a lot to answer for!

In France they chant and make lots of noise when their own kicker is kicking. There's no problem. The Aussies and NZ'ers will make tremendous noise to put off the kicker. No problem there. By contrast if you were in Thomond and you started to boo you'd probably be attacked. They're full of **** too. The crowd regularly tries to distract the hooker throwing in at the lineout. Thats somehow ok?. Weird.

Its just virtue signalling. Irish people are good at that.

I go to Leinster games and the amount of shushing is ridiculous, generally the only sound during the kick is shushing.
    To be honest I wouldn’t be one for shouting during it but couldn’t care less what others do. It gets blown well out of proportion though, no kicker worth his salt is going to be put off by some noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is there a rugby forum somewhere for all this guff?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Bambi wrote: »
    Is there a rugby forum somewhere for all this guff?

Just file away in the Ewan McKenna/Anti Dub/ Ranting and raving folder.

Btw no need for Connolly even MDMA is scoring goals now. Top heavy up front as is.

One of the few times I agree with Joe Brolly - even that little fecker said they should have had that Dublin game on the same day as the Cork v KK hurling match as a double header.
    It was madness not to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

What a smart man our Jim is…..Drops the news of Connelly’s return and now the media will be in a frenzy for a couple of weeks………..Another two weeks with little talk about the “drive for five”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Squareball wrote: »
    What a smart man our Jim is…..Drops the news of Connelly’s return and now the media will be in a frenzy for a couple of weeks………..Another two weeks with little talk about the “drive for five”.

Listening to all the pundits today all singing from the same hymn sheet, ie, 'the lads already there and putting in the graft will feel disgruntled, etc etc etc if Connolly is brought back in'.

And then I thought, none of these same pundits had any concerns for 'the lads already there and putting in the graft etc etc ...', when Rory O Carroll was brought back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

I'd say its unlikely Connolly started back training the day before the announcement. I'd say he's been back for a while at least. Who knows what kind of contact he's had with the set up. We're only hearing about it now because an appearance is likely on the weekend.

I'd have Connolly over all 6 forwards in a heart beat tbh. He can **** about in Leinster games against Wicklow alright but no one could ever question his contribution when the chips are down. He takes Scullys jersey in my team.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Having DC back is great news. He may not be an automatic starter but just his presence on the bench gives opposition managers and strategist another thing to worry about.

Let's be honest, unless he was already hitting his markers then he wouldn't be anywhere near the team so fitness won't be an issue. Sure he might not have played much championship football this past year but with the skills he has he can easily get back up to speed.

Our current forwards are very very good at playing a system but none can change a game the way he can.

Personally I couldn't give fiddler's why he was missing this past while, just glad to have one of the best footballers of a generation back in the fold. Now watch the Kerry based media in RTE lose their minds :)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

corny wrote:
    I'd have Connolly over all 6 forwards in a heart beat tbh. He can **** about in Leinster games against Wicklow alright but no one could ever question his contribution when the chips are down. He takes Scullys jersey in my team.

I agree that Scully would be at risk, possibly Howard after that.
    Not sure if Mannion, Rock, or O'callaghan are at risk.

Howard / Connelly would be a hard call, because i think Howard has a good football brain too.
    But you are right, Connolly is this teams star player.

Who'd be in your full back line be Crony

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement