Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

They were meant to be going to Holyhead I think

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

They were meant to be racing from HH. The race over was a few weeks ago.

Screenshot-20190527-141259-Samsung-Internet.jpg

My Song, the Baltic 130 ‘(40 meters) of Pieluigi Loro Piana,  was lost by the freighter that was bringing it back from the Caribbean to Genoa. She was to be present at the Loro Piana Superyacht Regatta which begins on 3 June in Porto Cervo. Instead, what has become a wreck is now in the Balearic North Sea at the Gulf of Lion.

bad-song.png

https://sailinganarchy.com/2019/05/27/bad-song/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Anybody doing the Dun Laoghaire to Dingle race?

I saw some lads in Malahide today preparing their boat for it, and I have to say I was quite jealous.

Looks like line honours and the Seamus Gallagher cup will be wrapped up by Windfall;

SW94-Superyacht-WINDFALL-by-Southern-Wind-under-sail.jpg

my dad raced with Seamus on that inaugural race on board his First 51 Paragon.

• Advertisement

Anybody doing the Dun Laoghaire to Dingle race?

I saw some lads in Malahide today preparing their boat for it, and I have to say I was quite jealous.

Looks like line honours and the Seamus Gallagher cup will be wrapped up by Windfall;

SW94-Superyacht-WINDFALL-by-Southern-Wind-under-sail.jpg

my dad raced with Seamus on that inaugural race on board his First 51 Paragoon.
    :D

Not doing it but boat Ive been racing on a small boat last while is going down double handed but they got smacked in ICRA on Saturday so not sure if they will have repair work done in time. Few others I know are going down on fully crewed boats. Weather could be interesting

I remember well the Paragoon name error, it even ended up in Afloat magazine!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Saw Windfall this afternoon in DL marina. Stunning yacht! Crew all busy cleaning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

That's some machine alright, I know one of the pros on board.

26 on board for d2d.

Steve wrote: »
    That's some machine alright, I know one of the pros on board.

26 on board for d2d.

26 :eek:

We'll be staying well out of their way (I hope!) on the start line! I wonder how long before they're out of sight over the horizon?

I remember Rambler 100 cutting through the RI start line at full speed from behind like a knife through butter, and in less than 45 mins they were out of sight. Depressing!!

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Saw Windfall this afternoon in DL marina. Stunning yacht! Crew all busy cleaning.

If (when) I win the Euromillions, I’m going to spew a few million on something like that. Big SW or a Baltic or the likes.

You’ll be more than welcome to come and race with me, you all will...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If (when) I win the Euromillions, I’m going to spew a few million on something like that. Big SW or a Baltic or the likes.

I'm in :D:D

You can charter Windfall for €40k per week...

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    26 :eek:

We'll be staying well out of their way (I hope!) on the start line! I wonder how long before they're out of sight over the horizon?

I remember Rambler 100 cutting through the RI start line at full speed from behind like a knife through butter, and in less than 45 mins they were out of sight. Depressing!!

I assume it'll be on YB? best of luck!

Steve wrote: »

Round Ireland next year anyone?

Just better not be feck all wind as if it goes to a 2nd week we’d be fecked!!

Round Ireland next year anyone?

Just better not be feck all wind as if it goes to a 2nd week we’d be fecked!!
    :D

The buying part is the cheap & easy part.

Looking at Windy.com and the breeze for tomorrow evening could be a fun ride down the Irish sea on something like Rockabill or a Jeaneau 36 with a kite up on D2D.

neris wrote: »
    Looking at Windy.com and the breeze for tomorrow evening could be a fun ride down the Irish sea on something like Rockabill or a Jeaneau 36 with a kite up on D2D.

and then with the tide turning to go with them a few hours after they start, should see some serious speed over the ground.

Anyone go down for start of DL-Dingle?

Probably wouldn’t have seen that much!

Weather has been miserable up here all day,

As expected Windfall is out in front, but the mini 6.50’s kept up with her for a while anyway! Their also both heading out to sea together presumably looking for big winds!!

• Advertisement

See some video up on afloat. Didn't look like a great action packed start

Windfall just about at the halfway mark after only 11 hours

“Motor may need a tune up”

I think I’ll pass

“Motor may need a tune up”

I think I’ll pass

Bit of WD40 and be as good as new

D2D wasn't half as miserable as expected - the start was brilliant, 41 kites straight up off the line. Anyone down Wicklow head way would have seen some great broaching action, and a few ripped ones - the gybefest went wrong for a lot of boats, including us. Unfortunately, having been doing really well, we lost over 2 hours to getting it all sorted, so most of the whole fleet sailed past us, and we were never going to get that sort of mileage back.

But we had some great Code 0 sailing off the south coast, and across Dingle Bay - we finally landed in to the finish line with one solitary halyard left intact :eek:

Brilliant race, I'm delighted I got the chance to do it again after 12 years. Just a shame it went so wrong so early :(

Anyone doing Soverigns??

Anyone doing Soverigns??

Me!

No. :(

Doing DL and Schull. \o/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

First day out racing in nearly two years.

Dear God the pain.....

Advertisement