Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Why do regatta organisers insist on putting on bands who blare music at full blast while people are trying to chat and discuss about the days racing. Having beers after racing today in the sun and we couldn't chat as a group

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

neris wrote: »
    Why do regatta organisers insist on putting on bands who blare music at full blast while people are trying to chat and discuss about the days racing. Having beers after racing today in the sun and we couldn't chat as a group

If it's too loud, you're too old.

(I'm too old as well) :D

Most of the crew must be to old then
    Steve wrote: »
    If it's too loud, you're too old.

(I'm too old as well) :D

Thought the fastnet was starting today not yesterday. See the 1st boat is already back at scillies

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭W1ll1s

Ilen taking on water in Sisimiut, Greenland, July 2019

• Advertisement

The new Hugo Boss IMOCA 60 launched over the weekend . Cockpits enclosed and the boat is sailed from inside.

at-weapon-1.jpg

t-weapon.jpg

Point 6 :D:D

944049826_blurredballs.jpg.29a74880a32e1ab15d9a0063ce4dd41f.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Been following these two for several months. Glad they made it to Ireland safely.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Best Youtube videos I've seen are the solo sailers, Christian Williams (his trip to Hawai was brilliant), Patrick Laine (was in Dublin recently) & Samingo Sailing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Good man Inda, you beat the fleet and look very satisfied (in a father Ted-esq way)

https://cdn-01.independent.ie/incoming/article38389121.ece/bc2e5/BINARY/ROYAL%20Re%20107.jpg

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/enda-kenny-wins-yacht-race-with-bear-gryrlls-beating-prince-william-and-kate-middleton-38389126.html
    FORMER Taoiseach Enda Kenny has won a yachting regatta alongside adventurer Bear Grylls.

The Mayo man helped beat off competition from celebrities and the upper echelons of UK society, including Prince William and his wife Kate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Well, two balls with a black diamond in between does mean 'vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre' :P

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Good man Inda, you beat the fleet and look very satisfied (in a father Ted-esq way)
    FORMER Taoiseach Enda Kenny has won a yachting regatta alongside adventurer Bear Grylls.
    The Mayo man helped beat off competition from celebrities and the upper echelons of UK society, including Prince William and his wife Kate.
    Does that mean he was ballast, rather than on the helm?

Look at the size of his gut!

He was definitely picked for his ballasting skills

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Look at the size of his gut!

He was definitely picked for his ballasting skills

Jaysus, the man is nearly 70, give him s break! I hope I'm in half as good shape at that age.

Anyone know what boats they used for the event?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Anyone know what boats they used for the event?

He must have put the bike away. Boats were Fast-40's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

944049826_blurredballs.jpg.29a74880a32e1ab15d9a0063ce4dd41f.jpg

Rule 69, You can't do that anymore on the water. 1st is a warning, after that is DSQ.

Rule 69, You can't do that anymore on the water.

I'm not going there, this is not AH!

Those boats are probably the most unenvironmentally friendly things ever made. Man made chemicals and fibres baked in a huge oven

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Those boats are probably the most unenvironmentally friendly things ever made. Man made chemicals and fibres baked in a huge oven

They have several interviews extolling the reusable manufacturing :pac:
    Sorry but am a sceptic about the whole thing

• Advertisement

She'll be well 'green' by the time she makes land though.. :D

She'll be well 'green' by the time she makes land though.. :D

Looking at a wind map the other day, looks like they’ll have gotten a battering!!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Major Dad

Check out what this tornado in New Zealand does to a cat and a super yacht!!

https://youtu.be/1mofa0QNFi8

:eek:

At least the yacht sat back up afterwards, and still had her rig. Don't think there was much left of the cat.

I just watched "All is lost"

I would like that hour and a half of my life back please.

There is so much wrong with that movie that is is beyond words, and is actually insulting to anyone with any sliver of seamanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

I just watched "All is lost"

Is that the one with Robert Redford? I brought my OH to it and she almost disowned me!

Alkers wrote: »
    Is that the one with Robert Redford? I brought my OH to it and she almost disowned me!

Yup, that's the one.

Anyone know when the DMYC kish race is on?

Anyone know when the DMYC kish race is on?

Can't find any info on it, usually last week in September.

• Advertisement

Actually the RStGYC has some info here:

https://www.rsgyc.ie/event/dmyc-kish-race-2019/

22 Sept.

Advertisement