Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Not the most positive T144hr chart but let's see what happens and the ENS before passing any serious judgement!

ECM1-144.GIF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Yes high further south than GFS 144

Marengo wrote: »
    Yes high further south than GFS 144
    Still chilly thought and maybe just a delayed cold evolution? Anyway- the main theme is a trend to colder , from the west or east! Detail very uncertain but nothing too extreme on the cards for the moment.

ECM 168hrs has no easterly. A slack low pressure with a northerly flow. Sleety.

ECM1-168.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Marengo wrote: »
    ECM 168hrs has no easterly. A slack low pressure with a northerly flow. Sleety.

ECM1-168.GIF

yes, but what happens after that maybe interesting- a slow crawl to an easterly? Also do you notice what's happening in Scandanvia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

yes, but what happens after that maybe interesting- a slow crawl to an easterly? Also do you notice what's happening in Scandanvia

Would you mind explaining what is happening in Scandinavia on that picture? Is it that heights are building (lighter shade) which will push the coldness over to us? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Jesus this model watching is painful atm , as gonzo said earlier it’s all up in the air . I think personally give it a day or two

The air is cold enough to our northeast :O

ECM1-216.GIF

Would you mind explaining what is happening in Scandinavia on that picture? Is it that heights are building (lighter shade) which will push the coldness over to us? Thanks :)

it has a wiff of 1987, if we could just tap into that air to the north east you allude to. It's painful model watching, we are close to getting something good, but it could easily go pear shaped. Contrast it with February last year where there was model consensus, bar one blip about the snowy cold taking hold

The air is cold enough to our northeast :O

That's an interesting chart. As Nacho Libre pointed out at 192H you notice the Scandi heights starting to build. Really evident here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

it has a wiff of 1987, if we could just tap into that air to the north east you allude to. It's painful model watching, we are close to getting something good, but it could easily go pear shaped. Contrast it with February last year where there was model consensus, bar one blip about the snowy cold taking hold

Thanks for that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

There was also a quick tropospheric response with perfect downwelling.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    There was also a quick tropospheric response with perfect downwelling.

Yes, that's what i meant, so it led to model consistency, this has been a drip drip downards event, but not enough to build a Greenland High. Let's just hope the Scandi high develops and can ridge a bit westwards, so we can tap into the very cold uppers. It might be 1987 revisited then.

I would not bank on it happening, though.

Yes, that's what i meant, so it led to model consistency, this has been a drip drip downards event, but not enough to build a Greenland High. Let's just hope the Scandi high develops and can ridge a bit westwards, so we can tap into the very cold uppers. It might be 1987 revisited then.

I would not bank on it happening, though.

Mid February 1947 had a seriously strong Scandi high which directed traffic westwards :) Most of the month was like that with low pressure approaching from the south bringing about several 'Emmas' until the 10th, 11th March. Copious amounts of the white stuff :)

We're due a Scandi high in early/mid Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

If there ever was an insult 536-BE782-05-F1-4-BC6-8-BB0-9781-E23-E225-B.gif

pad199207 wrote: »
    If there ever was an insult 536-BE782-05-F1-4-BC6-8-BB0-9781-E23-E225-B.gif

Talk about being given the finger:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭squarecircles

thats the ever present finger of doom,funny sometimes to watch the -5 and -10 hpa sink southwards the other side of it making its way almost to the azores,incredible country,the co ordinates of ireland are just unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

To think it was this time last year that I had my first snow of the Winter and since March 2016 with huge flakes. It was a very exciting night.

https://twitter.com/SnowbieWx/status/1078623776278020096

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

-14C today here in Western Canada and light snowfall all day. Even colder weather forecast for tomorrow with a high of -18C and not reaching that until lunch time, low of -21C.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

MidMan25 wrote: »
    -14C today here in Western Canada and light snowfall all day. Even colder weather forecast for tomorrow with a high of -18C and not reaching that until lunch time, low of -21C.

Would that be at high altitude in the Rockies?

• Advertisement

Would that be at high altitude in the Rockies?

The opposite actually. In the prairies east of the Rockies. I'm going to the Rockies tomorrow and it should be a lot warmer, highs of -5/-7 and lows only a few degrees less.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Manitoban

MidMan25 wrote: »
    The opposite actually. In the prairies east of the Rockies. I'm going to the Rockies tomorrow and it should be a lot warmer, highs of -5/-7 and lows only a few degrees less.

I lived in Brandon, Manitoba for a while, I have never experienced anything like it in my life. Wind chill of -54 actually took the breath away from my kids when we got out of the car.

Manitoban wrote: »
    I lived in Brandon, Manitoba for a while, I have never experienced anything like it in my life. Wind chill of -54 actually took the breath away from my kids when we got out of the car.

Was just going to ask was that where your name came from :) I think there would be even colder than where I am due to being that bit further east. The Rockies don't seem to get as cold due to being closer to the pacific coast, they seem to act as a barrier against milder air and funnel down the artic air into Alberta / Saskatchewan.

The craziest things i saw over there in Manitoba was a guy with very long hair getting on a bus in t- shirt and shorts!! It was -10 at the time, with a strong and gutsy wind, which made it feel far colder. I had every part of me covered and I was still absolutely freezing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Never been there in winter but I have been in the Calgary area of Alberta in mid to late June and remember there being snow showers for a few days. Nothing unusual for them even at that time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

The freshening southerly winds will become strong southeasterly on Thursday night ahead of rain developing in the west. Temperatures will be below freezing in places and the rain will be preceded for a time by a fall of snow as it spreads eastwards across the country.
    From met Eirrean

• Registered Users Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The craziest things i saw over there in Manitoba was a guy with very long hair getting on a bus in t- shirt and shorts!! It was -10 at the time, with a strong and gutsy wind, which made it feel far colder. I had every part of me covered and I was still absolutely freezing.

That is crazy, the mosquitoes can get at you so easily then. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

So I was just thinking, this last two weeks have been somewhat like visiting a fancy new restaurant and after half an hour wondering where the waiters were hanging out.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

So I was just thinking, this last two weeks have been somewhat like visiting a fancy new restaurant and after half an hour wondering where the waiters were hanging out.

MT what are your thoughts on the current confusion with the various model outputs?

• Advertisement

GFS (generally feckin sh*te) 18Z starting to role out. Whatever way it will swing..

Advertisement