Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predictions 2019

Options
  • 09-12-2018 8:07pm

Brexit will go ahead, but Ireland will lose a lot of the single market integration to avoid the hard border that would otherwise be imposed by a clean break Brexit.
    The EU will continue for a few more years yet, maybe morphing back to the original EEC model or completely breaking up in the next ten years.
    The Chinese empire building continues apace, with consolidation in the south China sea which is grudgingly accepted by neighbours to avoid unfavourable trade with China.

More African countries will find themselves on the hook for binding trade & debt deals that effectively give China a say in the internal politics of those countries (we're already seeing that now).

Investment in future oil exploration is cutback as EV's start to make a real dent in oil consumption, resulting in a period of glut followed by shortages three or four years down the line as new fields are not developed and expensive fields are shut in.

Car buyers will have a dilemma, either go EV ASAP or have a couple of years of cheaper motoring in an ICE vehicle, those who can't affors new will almost certainly go the second option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I predict it will start on the 1st January with a vast majority of the world having a hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Ireland will have a general election and Simon Coveney will be Taoiseach and Eamonn O'Cuiv Tanaiste, with Varadkar and Micheal Martin both got rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The further demise of Facebook!

They'll just keep alive through Insta though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭mosstin

Peter Casey's Newstalk venture will kill off any residual interest in him as a 'thing'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Ireland will go Steampunk....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭John Sacrimoni

Mass protests across Europe, more terror attacks, more apologists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

theguzman wrote: »
    Ireland will have a general election and Simon Coveney will be Taoiseach and Eamonn O'Cuiv Tanaiste, with Varadkar and Micheal Martin both got rid of.

So, nothing is going to change for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

'Game of Thrones’ Season 8 set to air

Foldable phones to make a comeback in 2019

James Webb Space Telescope is launched into orbit to discover liquid water on other planets

Skylon (spacecraft) goes into operation

Global reserves of Manganese is fully mined and depleted

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Sonics2k wrote: »
    So, nothing is going to change for Ireland?

Getting rid of the globalist's stooge Varadkar would be a good start, I never thought I'd say it but I would vote for Fianna Fail now if it meant getting him out; and I really hate Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Getting rid of the globalist's stooge Varadkar would be a good start, I never thought I'd say it but I would vote for Fianna Fail now if it meant getting him out; and I really hate Fianna Fail.

And you think Simon Coveney will be better than Varadkar :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I agree with you, Leo's probably a grand chap to meet out or at electric picnic or something.
    He's totally out of his league being Teashirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Following on from the appointment of Mick McCarthy as Republic of Ireland manager, the Irish public re-elect Bertie as Taoiseach.

Sinead O’Connor renounces Islam & becomes a Jehovas Witness.

Conor McGregor announces plans to fight Mike Tyson.

House prices rocket, a one bedroom apartment in Leitrim commands €650,000.

The country reaches 100% employment, Bertie raises pensions to €600/week. Pushes retirement age up to 95. Collects his own wages in cash at the post office as he still has no bank account.

Referendum reduces wait time for divorce period to 15mins.

Bertie raises number of storyes allowed on apartment blocks to 154. Trump Tower to be located in Abbotstown.

Paddy the Plasterer is made Finance Minister.

John Gilligan ignites turf war with Kinahan mob.

Conor McGregors lovechild interviewed on front page of Sunday World. Conor responds “Who the f*ck is that guy?”

Lack of employees forces Government to import refugees from the UK, now a desolate wasteland. Lack of housing forces them to commute from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Alfie gets Dot pregnant in Eastenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Brexit will go ahead, but Ireland will lose a lot of the single market integration to avoid the hard border that would otherwise be imposed by a clean break Brexit.

A hard border is a million times more likely than this weirdness. The single market is all or nothing. Hence "single".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭badabing106

Taylor swift will break up with a boyfriend and have a new one within 8 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

May makes it as far as 29th March, but is replaced by BoJo the very next day.

Hard-ish brexit, but no real border in Ire, Scotland becomes well jel of the Nordie situation and start to dream themselves of their own Nordic plans.

Farage forms a new political party, GE for the UK occurs in Sept, Labour can win, but only if they rid themselves of one of their key figures (the lady with the big glasses/mouth that isn't great with figures/facts).

Tax loopholes to close (dutch-sandwiches), the EU will get closer to it’s dream of harmonisation, and centralised movement of capital towards Frankfurt.

The EU suffers more challenges from the right, but a new EU army is underway to control dissenters.

Trump to win again in 2020, so expect more tears, boo-hoos and cat hats.

Everyone competes to have the snazziest new moonbase, China, US, Russ, India...
    Triple glazing and glorious views come as standard, but it also has a dark-side.

People stop buying cars (gas guzzlers) between import tariffs and fuel taxes, some large brands will go bust.

E-cars and other green machines will be the most practical solution for the average Joe.
    Major cities refuse non-commercial vechile access unless it is zero-emission.

Trumps trade war on China causes their bubble to pop, and their masses aren’t pleased having just got used to big tv’s and fancy phones.

Big Kim goes missing, leading to longer-term stability across Korea, and the further export of k-pop.

Syria is still the most significant risk factor, as everyone and anyone tries to get their fingers in their pie.

Many places are off the holiday list, due to risk of unrest. Most of Africa (inc South), Indonesia, the FarEast and even very popular Euro city-destinations inc: Paris, Berlin to Barca.

Folks head instead, to the likes of Norway, Portugal and the great outdoors of Can/US/NZ. The leave their headache-inducing G5 network phones behind, and ‘off-grid’ becomes a real trend from ’19 onwards.

Vesuvius is still at high risk of eruption, and Iceland too could cause flight delays

More fires, storms and flooding, get used to it, ‘that’s weather folks’.

Crypto-currency goes down the pan, it was really only a test-bed for a future quantum encrypted global currency that is still some time away.

Liverpool win the UKPL soccerball.

Will anyone beat the Dubs? Nope, but Mayo ladies will win for the girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ireland will get to the Rugby World Cup Final in Japan. Everyone and their brother will become an overnight expert on the game. Oh and we'll be inundated with dickheads on the bandwagon and on the sesh from early on having Rugger Bugger Breakfasts loike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Minutes before midnight on March 29, Article 50 is revoked, and Brexit is cancelled.

a dollar crash sometime in the 2nd half of 2019 if the tariffs on steel and aluminum cause a trade war.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

The system goes online January 1st 2019. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Sky gets Fox News back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Mo Salah slips, and leads to Man City wining the league after trailing closely to Liverpool for months
    Further backlash against the pc culture - eoghan McDermott types

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Alfie gets Dot pregnant in Eastenders.

g61esG4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Trump will commit suicide. Dark but I think he's way over his head and isn't capable of taking criticism in a healthy way. I think some of his family members will be in legal trouble following his tenure as president.

There's no way a Brexit that pulls the North and Scotland out of the EU against their won't lead to the break up of the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

The Simpsons will end. It'll be a normal episode, until the point where an electrical fault will cause their house to catch fire during the night. Bart removed the batteries from all the smoke alarms for a joke, so the entire family perishes. The credits will roll silently at the end, as the five charred, but unmistakably Simpsons-sized/shaped corpses are carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Your beloved FF are keeping Vardakar in power in a minority government

Prediction, the poor from whom contains a million workers in poverty will get fed up of the rich leeching of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Less people eating animal products.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Photos of Laura Whitmore sitting on the toilet will be leaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Roz Purcell will change her name to Roz Persil as a marketing strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Photos of Laura Whitmore sitting on the toilet will be leaked.

Mikey Taylor intensifies

Advertisement