Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2018: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

TCP/IP wrote: »
    I have been thinking about something recently in order to spice up the show and put some excitement back in F1.

In my opinion F1 is far to safe nowadays, F1 in the 60,s to 80’s was a Very dangerous sport and the drivers were true gladiators of their time.

With all the run offs on tracks removal of walls and so forth there is really no danger in the sport anymore. If A driver has a mistake there is no consequences anymore.

Would love to know peoples thoughts. F1 is far to sanatised these days.
    So you're saying you want to see drivers getting injured and dying? Eh, no thanks!

• Subscribers Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

So you're saying you want to see drivers getting injured and dying? Eh, no thanks!

With the car safety systems these days that’s nearly impossible look at Alonso accident in 2016 in Australia that he walked out of. These cars are near indestructible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

TCP/IP wrote: »
    I have been thinking about something recently in order to spice up the show and put some excitement back in F1.

In my opinion F1 is far to safe nowadays, F1 in the 60,s to 80’s was a Very dangerous sport and the drivers were true gladiators of their time.

With all the run offs on tracks removal of walls and so forth there is really no danger in the sport anymore. If A driver has a mistake there is no consequences anymore.

Would love to know peoples thoughts. F1 is far to sanatised these days.

Two words: Jules Bianchi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭chicorytip

If that's what he wants, Indycar has it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Two words: Jules Bianchi.

That one is out there on it's own, there was a feckin teleporter on the track and I don't think TCP/IP was suggesting we park a crane in the middle of Eau Rouge or Beckitts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭Inviere

I hate all the big run off's as much as everyone else....but, it makes sense. If there's gravel everywhere, drivers are going to be that bit more cautious, and I feel the show would suffer. There's already far too much babysitting of tires going on, imagine then adding in the possibility of end-of-race for a simple spin or something? Nah, I feel the big run off's are a necessary evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

What's peoples take on Max and Ocon?

Like everyone I find Max entertaining but I find it gas fans and writers leaping to his defence and describing him as fiery and passionate. If Lewis or Seb had acted the same way they'd be ripped apart but for Max it's chalked down to his desire.

I get why he lost it, although I'm a fan of Econ, and it was great entertainment to watch, but I do think Max's reputation or image around him gets him away with murder. The loss of temper is also a little ironic since he's been the driver causing collisions from aggressive overtaken many times.

Adamocovic wrote: »

Stupid stupid move by Ocon, but Max should have been a bit smarter about it & waited.

What followed though, with Max putting his hands on another person in angst, I feel that reflects very poorly on him. Yes we've seen all the greats do it in the past, but times have moved on - there's a higher standard on professionalism nowadays, and it's an awful, awful look to have captured on video. I feel the community service penalty is ridiculous and just a box ticking exercise, it should have been a stern talking to and left alone after that.

Normally I like Ocon, but he took out the leader of a race while being lapped/unlapped...crazy stuff altogether.

Inviere wrote: »
    Stupid stupid move by Ocon, but Max should have been a bit smarter about it & waited.

What followed though, with Max putting his hands on another person in angst, I feel that reflects very poorly on him. Yes we've seen all the greats do it in the past, but times have moved on - there's a higher standard on professionalism nowadays, and it's an awful, awful look to have captured on video. I feel the community service penalty is ridiculous and just a box ticking exercise, it should have been a stern talking to and left alone after that.

Normally I like Ocon, but he took out the leader of a race while being lapped/unlapped...crazy stuff altogether.

His audition for Mercedes perhaps ;)

His audition for Mercedes perhaps ;)

Please tell me you don't believe the nonsense conspiracy theories do you?

• Advertisement

Haha I don't, as entertaining as it would be!

Think it was a case of Ocon believing he was the faster driver, also coupled with the thought that he may not be out there next year decided "why not?" enjoy himself and attack cars.

If it had of come off smoothly it would have gotten lovely attention, unlapping yourself against the race leader, not a bad way to drum up attention around your ability.

Max is right up there with being as nearly annoying as Lewis. He seems to think that he is this unreal talent that deserves to be able to do as he pleases.
    I think Ocon layed down a marker for 2020 that he will stand up to Max when he will be in the Mercedes seat as its plainly obvious that Bottas is a waste of a Merc seat.

OSI wrote: »
    Jules Bianchi?

That's a completely different type of accident. If he spun off the track and hit a wall or barrier he would have been totally fine. He hit an object that should not have been on the track at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Conspiracy theories...considering this happened when the games were set already (Ferrari needed to outscore Merc by 10 points in order to have any hope for the WCC), it's probably just an unfortunate set of circumstances. Mercedes and Hamilton would have been perfectly happy with finishing behind Verstappen and clinching the WCC.

Standing the fact that Verstappen was also an idiot in the circumstance (if you're leading and a lapped car is going faster on fresh tires, you don't let them by but also you don't go into a freaking defensive line approaching a corner, which will lose you time!), had something like this happened earlier in the season, with the championships still undecided, there would have been more than legitimate reason for doubt; Ocon is the driver who more than anyone else has been behaving like an extension of a top team, Mercedes in this case, to the point of them admitting to "team orders" to get Lewis past Esteban in Monaco (https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/1548/mercedes-gave-ocon-team-orders-in-monaco/).

Add to it the fact the Frenchman has often "forgot" to look into his mirrors when lapped by a Ferrari or a Red Bull at various points this season.

As I said in the other thread, the last thing F1 needs is a 21st century Roland Asch...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Is that a legit site? I can't believe Mercedes were so blatant about it. Its race fixing in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

recyclebin wrote: »
    Is that a legit site? I can't believe Mercedes were so blatant about it. Its race fixing in my opinion.

They are quoting Wolff directly - they wouldn't name names and attribute words if he didn't say so; It's a multi billion company that can sue any minor website into oblivion at the snap of two fingers, after all.
    I also clearly remember it being stated during the live coverage on Sky.

Any more citations needed?

http://thenewswheel.com/team-orders-helped-hamilton-to-the-podium-in-monaco/

"Later comments by Ocon, who is also a Mercedes junior driver, added weight to the suspicion. 'I’m a Mercedes driver, you should ask the boss,' he told Sky Italia, before adding that 'it was pointless to fight with him, especially as he had new tires,' and that he had 'maybe' received team orders."

"Mercedes boss Toto Wolff then confirmed the entire thing to La Derniere Heure, stating that Ocon had indeed been instructed to let Hamilton past “because that’s the way it is.”

Or...
    https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2018/05/mercedes-ordered-ocon-to-let-hamilton-pass-at-the-monaco-grand-prix/
    https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/238900/wolff-confirms-force-india-team-order

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Remember, a lot of tracks are used for motorbike racing as well and according to Charlie, gravel traps are more dangerous for motorbikes then tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

My first thought after that Ocon/Max collision was, "I wonder if he thought he was fighting off a Toro Rosso." The next thought was cursing a lost bet. :o

recyclebin wrote: »

The customer teams are more or less purchased road blocks at this stage, you can clearly see how easy it is for a Ferrari to pass a Haas, or a Mercedes to pass a RPFI, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Apparently Kubica will sign his Williams deal this week.

Ocon will be test/reserve at both Mercedes & Racing Point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

Like everyone I find Max entertaining but I find it gas fans and writers leaping to his defence and describing him as fiery and passionate. If Lewis or Seb had acted the same way they'd be ripped apart but for Max it's chalked down to his desire.

I get why he lost it, although I'm a fan of Econ, and it was great entertainment to watch, but I do think Max's reputation or image around him gets him away with murder. The loss of temper is also a little ironic since he's been the driver causing collisions from aggressive overtaken many times.

Old man Verstappen would be proud of the young fella, pushing and shoving

Some drivers think no one is entitled to unlap themselves, remember the stink Senna kicked up about Irvine unlapping himself in Suzuka

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

astrofluff wrote: »
    A point made recently that was if a driver went off the track, and hit gravel, that he would be out of the race too easily. For the majority of the race-going fans, they don't want to see their driver go out of the race so easily hence the major hard surface run offs. I get this reasoning.

I get it as well but there should be a punishment. With all the technologies available, surely they could be made suffer a time penalty on track. Say 10 percent loss of power for something like 20 seconds. If all 4 wheels are outside track limits then a penalty is automatically triggered

• Registered Users Posts: 15,695 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

tigerboon wrote: »
    I get it as well but there should be a punishment. With all the technologies available, surely they could be made suffer a time penalty on track. Say 10 percent loss of power for something like 20 seconds. If all 4 wheels are outside track limits then a penalty is automatically triggered

I get as well and also think it a necessary evil. Always though it was terrible seeing a driver out of a race with a perfectly good car just because his car was grounded in the gravel.
    I do think the run offs could be a rougher service do maybe to discourage going off onto it or trying to use it to gain a place or time advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Lewis almost had the 2007 championship only for a few cock ups himself. Then he took the 2008 championship in his second year. Charles will be in a good car next year, and in his second year. It'll be a tasty season next year.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,288 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Vettel could really be finished.
    He ran from redbull when Danny Ric turned up and beat him.
    If something similar was to happen next year, he would be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

AMKC wrote: »
    I get as well and also think it a necessary evil. Always though it was terrible seeing a driver out of a race with a perfectly good car just because his car was grounded in the gravel.
    I do think the run offs could be a rougher service do maybe to discourage going off onto it or trying to use it to gain a place or time advantage.

Is Paul Ricard one such track. Thats Why they have all that mad colour scheme. Think track limits need to apply every inch of the circuit. Have a limit such as 3 or 5 and you get a 3 second penalty or something at pit stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,478 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I hate all the big run off's as much as everyone else....but, it makes sense. If there's gravel everywhere, drivers are going to be that bit more cautious, and I feel the show would suffer. There's already far too much babysitting of tires going on, imagine then adding in the possibility of end-of-race for a simple spin or something? Nah, I feel the big run off's are a necessary evil.

But Monaco...
    Amazing the rules they can ignore when it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,478 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Is Paul Ricard one such track. Thats Why they have all that mad colour scheme. Think track limits need to apply every inch of the circuit. Have a limit such as 3 or 5 and you get a 3 second penalty or something at pit stop.

Just do what they do in most other series and black flag cars for exceeding track limits. It's not hard and no new rules needed, just enforcing the existing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Murph76

pjohnson wrote: »
    Apparently Kubica will sign his Williams deal this week.

Ocon will be test/reserve at both Mercedes & Racing Point.
    Good for him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,695 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

mickdw wrote: »
    Vettel could really be finished.
    He ran from redbull when Danny Ric turned up and beat him.
    If something similar was to happen next year, he would be in trouble.

He is just going to have to up his game and stop making silly mistakes.

Advertisement